• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Stages don't mean anything, look at the Animal Crossing Stage in Brawl. Plus, Chrom seems kind of redundant with Marth and hopefully Ike are in the game. If anyone represents the Arena, it should be Lucina, she was the boss there after all. And represents Awakening a lot more. With being used to promote it a lot and even on FE polls being the most popular lord behind Ike. She is also on polls the most popular character in Awakening.
You're absolutely right. Lucina is quite boss. Also, YEAH MASK-SWITCHING MOVESET LUCINA FTW.

I'd say Ghirahim or Tingle if there neeeeeeds to be another Zelda slot. Please no Toon Zelda.
Tingle = Tingle character, not Zelda. Technically. That way, people can't complain that he's a terrible Zelda character.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
I mean the character Sakurai wanted most in Smash since 64 still hasn't been included, and probably won't be this time either.
I'm curious, what character did he want most? I wonder what would happen if said character actually did get in.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
How big of an impact did Xenoblade have?
Well basically, while Nintendo claim they didn't pay any attention to Project Rainfall (which if you don't know, was a movement to have all three of Xenoblade Chronicles, The Last Story, and Pandora's Tower localized), it was a main factor in why all three games were shipped to NA. All 3 of them are JRPG's, which are games that have struggled to make an impression on NA gamers.

Then, there's Xenoblade Chronicles. While it was exclusively sold at Gamestop in the US, and limited copies were sold, Xenoblade is regarded as the best JRPG on the Wii, if not the whole console generation. It received high scores across the internet, and as we can all see, has been given some sort of support from Nintendo. I would argue that Xenoblade's success has helped with hype for "X", which takes plenty from Xenoblade Chronicles. "X" is a highly anticipated game for the Wii U, mainly because the console doesn't have much in terms of Hardcore gaming fodder.

Where does Shulk factor into this? Well, "X" at this point is all about customization, and therefore doesn't have a memorable protagonist necessarily from what we know. Therefore, because Xenoblade Chronicles is considered a predecessor, (I think Iwata even said it) Shulk is basically the iconic character to add if we're talking in regards to Xenoblade Chronicles and X.

Last edited:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Stages don't mean anything, look at the Animal Crossing Stage in Brawl. Plus, Chrom seems kind of redundant with Marth and hopefully Ike are in the game. If anyone represents the Arena, it should be Lucina, she was the boss there after all. And represents Awakening a lot more. With being used to promote it a lot and even on FE polls being the most popular lord behind Ike. She is also on polls the most popular character in Awakening.
Even as someone who liked Lucina more so than Chrom, the whole redundancy thing applies twice as much to Lucina as it does to Chrom. She literally looks like a female Marth and considering just how feminine Marth is.....

As far as variety goes, Robin is the the most overt and obvious choice.

MagnesD3

Smash Master
Well even though Isaac's popularity in Japan is not what it once was, pre-Brawl it was much higher than Saki's. Post Brawl Shulk's is much higher than Saki's.

In the west Saki is relatively (or at least comparatively) unknown, his series only had a measure of success on the VC, and both others are more popular.

Not to mention, at least with GS, that the series in terms of audience size is several times larger. Even Xenoblade's might be... it certainly fared better than Star Successor.

People like to bring up Sakurai's bias in regards to Saki... but Sakurai has never stated affinity for Saki personally or anything, and more importantly even the characters Sakurai does state he as an affinity for don't wind up included unless they have many other factors in their favour. I mean the character Sakurai wanted most in Smash since 64 still hasn't been included, and probably won't be this time either.

I don't see any area in which Saki has more in his favour than either Isaac, Shulk, or in many cases both tbh. I fully agree he'd be a cool character with a great moveset, but so would the other two, and they do have more going for them.
Sadness... maybe a miracle will happen and we get allll 3.

Demise kind of gets the same treatment of Magnus.

Ike Syndrome.
Its funny my name ended up being a character in kid icarus when it was original a play on Magneto's name...

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Even as someone who liked Lucina more so than Chrom, the whole redundancy thing applies twice as much to Lucina as it does to Chrom. She literally looks like a female Marth and considering just how feminine Marth is.....

I do always laugh when people say that Chrom is more redundant than Lucina. That's just silly. BOTH are redundant really.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I'm curious, what character did he want most? I wonder what would happen if said character actually did get in.
It was Mach Rider, who actually is a perfectly fine candidate for a retro, but probably won't get in once again.

Though he/she could still apply to that statement Sakurai gave about the retro he's "considering" this time (a character which could experience a revival similar to Pit), but then again so could Takamaru, who is by far the likeliest choice.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
I do always laugh when people say that Chrom is more redundant than Lucina. That's just silly. BOTH are redundant really.
Anyways, even if he forgoes Robin for some reason, Chrom would still be far more likely than Lucina considering that he is easily the most requested potential FE newcomer around and over in Japan (if Chrono's observation is of any indication) the only decently requested potential FE newcomer.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Every time someone mentions "X" I think of Megaman X. I can't really say why either. One day, he needs to be in a Fighting Game too.

I agree. Both Chrom and Lucina would be aesthetically boring with Marth being present. This would be amped up a little further if Ike is also in Smash 4. Robin would stand out a little more though, visually at the very least.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442

Lucina may dress like Marth, but they don't wear the same colours, have different sword-styles, and Lucina's personality and backstory obviously differ greatly. Whereas Chrom is a total fusion of Marth and Ike.

Robin would be unique, sure, but...

It was Mach Rider, who actually is a perfectly fine candidate for a retro, but probably won't get in once again. Though he/she could still apply to that statement Sakurai gave about the retro he's "considering" this time (a character which could experience a revival similar to Pit), but then again so could Takamaru, who is by far the likeliest choice.
I am totally down with this. Without Mach Rider, Captain Falcon wouldn't exist, he certainly deserves it.

Bleh, Zelda discussions.....

I agree with Andimidna. If Tingle were to be made playable, he'd most likely be representing his own series and not Zelda. So he'd be filling in the Zelda slot about as much as Yoshi fills in the Mario slot really. :/
And then we get another Zelda character slot! Yay!

Except we won't.

andimidna

Smash Master
Didn't ask for Vaati, but thanks.
One time characters.

I'm not either. But I want one. Isn't that enough for you??

I don't want three Links necessarily, I would like Midna to be on her own.

He would also be the most divided. I don't hate Tingle. But I don't he should be playable. If he was grouped as his own series, like Yoshi or Wario, I'd be fine. But he's only a Zelda character, he's not nearly as deserving.
I'd like Midna to be alone too. But... she is a one-time character from before Brawl. Her fans haven't stopped loving her, and she is by far the most popular Zelda companion.
If she was with TP Link, none the reasons she might not be included matter. As a popular one-time female character, like Sheik. Being added with a major icon of the franchise, like Zelda. Being added to a character that's existed since SSB64, like Samus. It's already happened, and I think it could. I'd like Midna alone more than anything, but I think she only has role, popularity, and moveset going for her. Making it a toss-up. Because there are so many possibilities when it comes to Zelda. If she returns in Zelda U, which I think might happen, she gets an edge over the rest to be alone, but for now, I include her on my roster through Link. I still love to see alone Midna support though!
Seeing as Navi is part of Link, I'd like to see a taunt where Fi comes out of Link's sword. And then the main 3 companions will be represented through Link!

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
Ridiculous, Lucina has a vag long hair!

Really, it all just goes to show that the makers of Fire Emblem should have worked a little harder to have more interesting protagonists and not just "Marth 2 and Marth 3".
(of course any swordlord would seem largely redundant at this point)

Ah well, too late now.

Hum. Not to harp on old points, but that's kind of what this thread is about... what are people's thoughts on alternate costumes as alternate characters?
And by that, I mean for example if Marth could unlock an alt. persona of Lucina that has different art/voice acting/etc., but has the same moveset and is accessed via Marth's slot.
Ike unlocking Priam as an alt.
Captain Falcon unlocking Mach Rider.
Donkey Kong unlocking Funky Kong.

Things like that. Go at it, folks.

Minato Arisato

Smash Ace
NNID
ShinyBachuru
3DS FC
1392-5292-2267

Oh wow, imagine Robin being a newcomer. I can just imagine that video now. If he/she DOES appear, it's going to have Grima in their intro. Calling it.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Lucina may dress like Marth, but they don't wear the same colours, have different sword-styles, and Lucina's personality and backstory obviously differ greatly. Whereas Chrom is a total fusion of Marth and Ike.
Unless Marth or Ike ever played the straight man towards their party members, I really wouldn't use the whole personality argument for Lucina supposedly being more different than Chrom.

Not that stuff such as personality and complexity that non-FE Smash players won't by default experience in this game would matter. I mean, Mr. Game and Watch is by far the most personality-less, two dimensional character in the roster and yet, from a design and moveset point of view, he differs from Marth much more than Lucina or Chrom ever could.

Joe D.

Smash Ace
NNID
NeroSnare
3DS FC
2552-1665-5337
Exactly. Kinda silly to suggest Sakurai would give her a moveset any SF could have when she has so much potential unique to her because "it's not relevant", when even that part isn't true.

I don't see why Sakurai would change precedent over a character like Dillon (or any other character from an IP exclusive to the 3DS) considering previously characters have always been included due to who they are, not what platform they stem from, excluding G&W, who isn't comparable to Dillon. Of the characters from series solely on the 3DS Dillon is... probably the best choice, but in general he's a ways down, and given history I don't see Sakurai making such an arbitrary distinction.
I guess that makes sense. But hey, you never know, maybe he'll go that route. Maybe not, it's up to him :)

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Hum. Not to harp on old points, but that's kind of what this thread is about... what are people's thoughts on alternate costumes as alternate characters?
And by that, I mean for example if Marth could unlock an alt. persona of Lucina that has different art/voice acting/etc., but has the same moveset and is accessed via Marth's slot.
Ike unlocking Priam as an alt.
Captain Falcon unlocking Mach Rider.
Donkey Kong unlocking Funky Kong.

Things like that. Go at it, folks.
At that point there's no reason not to make them clones.

Unless Marth or Ike ever played the straight man towards their party members, I really wouldn't use the whole personality argument for Lucina supposedly being more different than Chrom.

Not that stuff such as personality and complexity that non-FE Smash players won't by default experience in this game would matter. I mean, Mr. Game and Watch is by far the most personality-less, two dimensional character in the roster and yet, from a design and moveset point of view, he differs from Marth much more than Lucina or Chrom ever could.
True. But obviously I didn't mean that literally.

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
Really, it all just goes to show that the makers of Fire Emblem should have worked a little harder to have more interesting protagonists and not just "Marth 2 and Marth 3".
(of course any swordlord would seem largely redundant at this point)
If they didn't make Lucina disguise as Marth at all, I bet no one would be saying this.

Yet, I do find Awakening has flaws in a lot of places. Mostly giving characters an annoying quirk, that is used in all of their supports.
Gaius only cares about candy.
Kellam is a ghost.
Need I say more.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
At that point there's no reason not to make them clones.
Sure there is, it'd be a lot less work than making a clone. When you actually make them a separate character, you then are obligated to make all the assets related to that such as trophies, levels, items, stickers, single player-modes etc. that relate to them.

I mean, flat out making them a clone is probably the better option... if you have the time. So would it be better to get characters in as alternates or not at all?

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I guess that makes sense. But hey, you never know, maybe he'll go that route. Maybe not, it's up to him :)
He might, but it's still important to make the distinction between unprecedented unlikelihood and probability.

Many people give the "Sakurai is unpredictable" way too much weight in these kind of things.

Joe D.

Smash Ace
NNID
NeroSnare
3DS FC
2552-1665-5337
Warning Received
Isaac vs. Shulk...

Why not both?

*cue La Bamba*

Robin would be unique, sure, but...

I am totally down with this. Without Mach Rider, Captain Falcon wouldn't exist, he certainly deserves it.

And then we get another Zelda character slot! Yay!

Except we won't.
Yoshi didn't keep Mario from getting Luigi in SSB64. Or Peach, Bowser, and Dr. Mario in Melee. I think side series should count as separate series here. Yoshi shouldn't affect anything Mario, Tingle shouldn't affect anything Zelda. And a 5th slot I see as more likely than not, unlike some. Many don't put one just because there isn't one stand-out obvious rep. Well, that may affect fans, but it won't affect Sakurai's decision. I don't think we'll get every "obvious character." And I do think we have more surprises coming.

He might, but it's still important to make the distinction between unprecedented unlikelihood and probability.

Many people give the "Sakurai is unpredictable" way too much weight in these kind of things.
Oh yeah, especially when talking about reveals. Sakurai may like to throw out the unexpected, but he's also logical with his choices.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
If they didn't make Lucina disguise as Marth at all, I bet no one would be saying this.

Yet, I do find Awakening has flaws in a lot of places. Mostly giving characters an annoying quirk, that is used in all of their supports.
Gaius only cares about candy.
Kellam is a ghost.
Need I say more.
Those aren't annoying! You named the best examples of that! How about Tharja's creepy obsession Anna's money craziness?
Gaius is the best character. Sorry, rambling.

But I agree with that first point. Lucina doesn't look anything like Marth to me, except when she's Marth, and even then, I'm thinking "hey, that's Awakening Marth", not "Marth". If the two were stood next to each other, you could easily tell who's who.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
By the way, for a supposed popular character, Chrom has very little support I've noticed.

As in, it seems like extremely few people actually give a damn about him.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Sure there is, it'd be a lot less work than making a clone. When you actually make them a separate character, you then are obligated to make all the assets related to that such as trophies, levels, items, stickers, single player-modes etc. that relate to them.

I mean, flat out making them a clone is probably the better option... if you have the time. So would it be better to get characters in as alternates or not at all?
If they are just clones from the same series, why do they need levels, items, and modes to relate to them? And the trophy bit's silly because it's just a still version of the character model they already had to create.

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
Those aren't annoying! You named the best examples of that! How about Tharja's creepy obsession Anna's money craziness?
Gaius is the best character. Sorry, rambling.
Yeah, I was mostly stating the most well known...

The worst is most likely Morgan, only caring about being the Avatar and regaining his/her memory.
By the way, for a supposed popular character, Chrom has very little support I've noticed.

As in, it seems like extremely few people actually give a damn about him.
Yeah more people expect him rather than have him as a wanted character, tbh. I'm not saying their aren't but there's only few compared to expecting.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I just find it funny that out of all of the other places I've seen discuss Smash, only Smashboards and parts of 4chan seem to not want Chrom as a whole. Just an interesting little observation, haha. :p

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
If they are just clones from the same series, why do they need levels, items, and modes to relate to them? And the trophy bit's silly because it's just a still version of the character model they already had to create.
The actual lead in to the conversation was talking about Mach Rider and Captain Falcon's connection and unlocking MR for CF was one of my examples.
(and for trophies I meant more related trophies such as the ones that show off other characters from their series etc.)

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
But I agree with that first point. Lucina doesn't look anything like Marth to me, except when she's Marth, and even then, I'm thinking "hey, that's Awakening Marth", not "Marth". If the two were stood next to each other, you could easily tell who's who.
For every smart person, there are one hundred... less intelligent people. While we can easily tell the difference yes, imagine the hoards of children on Miiverse spamming "WHY R IS THER IS 2 MRATHS?!" There's also the fact that during Melee, Sakurai chose Falco over Wolf because he thought people would think that Wolf was just a gray Fox (which, surprise surprise, people think of him in Brawl). While Wolf did eventually get in, it was with a bit of a redesign that made him more distinguishable from Fox, and Lucina looks far more like Marth than Wolf looks like Fox, even with a potential redesign. Unless she dyes her hair or something.

At this point, I don't care about FE anymore. I had Roy, "Not relevant, you need a new FE character." I had Tiki, "Not a lord, we can only have sword wielders/main characters." And now I have Chrom, "Uhg, he's too bland and similar to Marth, you should pick Roy." And then I just apply palm to face and call it a day.

Last edited:

Gunla

wow, gaming!
BRoomer
Yeah more people expect him rather than have him as a wanted character, tbh. I'm not saying their aren't but there's only few compared to expecting.
Want in Fire Emblem is like a full platter, when everyone just expects Chrom. :glare:
I just find it funny that out of all of the other places I've seen discuss Smash, only Smashboards and parts of 4chan seem to not want Chrom as a whole. Just an interesting little observation, haha. :p
True, it's really weird. Though I still don't get why he's so expected when there's far better options.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
The actual lead in to the conversation was talking about Mach Rider and Captain Falcon's connection and unlocking MR for CF was one of my examples.
(and for trophies I meant more related trophies such as the ones that show off other characters from their series etc.)
You stated many other same series examples.
And if Mach Rider gets in, he isn't going to be a clone anyway.

Yeah, I was mostly stating the most well known...

The worst is most likely Morgan, only caring about being the Avatar and regaining his/her memory.

It's okay if Morgan's annoying, she's also the best character aside from Robin.
It seems Lucina's way more popular overseas. Can you or someone find a source for this?

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Everywhere else, people seem to prefer Lucina.

You should of seen the agony people when through when Marth's confirmation supposedly confirmed Lucina wasn't showing up on Tumblr.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Want in Fire Emblem is like a full platter, when everyone just expects Chrom. :glare:

True, it's really weird. Though I still don't get why he's so expected when there's far better options.
Heck, I'm not even talking expectations, but want. Take Shortie's poll for instance. Chrom ranks in the Top 10, but the poll measures which characters you want, not expect. Like I said, I just find this tidbit pretty nifty, considering how many sites that poll's been at.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Heck, I'm not even talking expectations, but want. Take Shortie's poll for instance. Chrom ranks in the Top 10, but the poll measures which characters you want, not expect. Like I said, I just find this tidbit pretty nifty, considering how many sites that poll's been at.
This still doesn't explain why very few people actually support the character.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
I dunno. Maybe a lot of people just want Chrom, in their gut, but when faced with actual discussion about why they kind of shut down from the opposition since they don't want to be called idiots?

Alternately, maybe it's...
[thinking he's getting in] => [convincing themselves that they want him since it's going to happen anyway] => [voting for him to show that they wanted him early so they can be right when he appears]

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Expectation definitely bleeds into desire to some extent. As does mob mentality.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
This still doesn't explain why very few people actually support the character.
His supporters just aren't the loudest (could you blame them, considering the animosity most of them would receive here, for example?). Many of them feel complacent with his odds. For a great long while, Little Mac and Palutena fell in the same vote. The want was definitely notable, but the support was quieter compared to juggernaut topics such as the return of Mewtwo or the addition of Ridley and K. Rool.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom