• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
NNID
Nightdazer
3DS FC
0731-4784-1465
So if Dark Pit is actually using a Staff and Dr Mario has the Doctor Tornado....

Lucina is the clone-iest of the clones ಠ__ಠ
Out of a 3 clones, one who is the "Edgy" Dark version of Pit, the other is just Mario dressed differently
Christ how LATE did they decide to just not make her a costume choice

I'm sorry, I wouldn't be so nitpicky about this if she had more noticeable differences beside "Without the Tip"
Dark Pit is very different then Pit, honestly...o.o

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Dark Pit is the Batman to Pit's Joker

This comparison is actually more accurate than you imagine.

NickerBocker

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2492-4251-5054

SSB4 will be separated from the other games. Maybe we will get something interesting...?
Well considering it's already out in Japan at that point, he could reveal anything.

Seriously, anything. Considering a ton of content, if not all the content, will be on the internet within a few hours of this presentation being over, might as well go through as much as possible.

New things will be shown, Im pretty sure of that.

Espio264

Smash Ace
Disrespectful to who?
Batman.

Batman and the Joker could arguably be considered two sides of the same coin.

Dark Pit is a counterfeit Pit coin you put in the crusher machine at the zoo.

Dark Pit may have similar stoic mannerisms to Batman, but saying those two have a Batman/Joker relationship just proves you saw The Dark Knight once.

I'm sure you're a lovely person however.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Batman.

Dark Pit may have similar stoic mannerisms to Batman, but saying those two have a Batman/Joker relationship just proves you saw The Dark Knight once.

Really really not the time or the place for this, love. ;3

Hades is definitely hella Joker, though. He's even got the colour scheme down Pitty-Pat!

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
World Circuit Mac is the best one

Don't worry. It wouldn't make sense for Captain Falcon to be mirrored because how else would his reverse Falcon Punch works?
He isn't mirrored in the trailer after all.
*Whew* I forgot about that thanks. Not to mention that by reverse Falcon Punch being confirmed in the game, then it practically confirms the Wavebounced 360 Falcon Punches is in, which would definitely show off his back in the process.

Last edited:

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Batman.

Whoa, chill lol. It's not like comic book heroes are ever consistent.

The comparison is mostly about a role they play. Batman and Joker are a great example of a straight man and funny man pair, which perfectly describes Dark Pit's relationship with Pit.

But please go on about how disrespectful I am to a fictional character.

ActionHankBeard

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ActionHankBeard
Okay yeah I'm starting to get concerned that the leaked roster we saw was actually the whole roster. I hope I'm wrong man..

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
Batman.

Praise the Lord, my name is being used :troll:

Eh, I'm sure Sakurai is gonna be showing alot of stuff (bunch of new info for the Wii U version as well). Perhaps show an unlockable character or two?

Espio264

Smash Ace
Whoa, chill lol. It's not like comic book heroes are ever consistent.

The comparison is mostly about a role they play. Batman and Joker are a great example of a straight man and funny man pair, which perfectly describes Dark Pit's relationship with Pit.

But please go on about how disrespectful I am to a fictional character.
Look. I'm chill. No disrespect to you.

Any disrespect is to Dark Pit as a Smash character choice.

There are certain literary/universal arcetypes that you can group characters into. And the Joker/Pit and Dark Pit/Batman comparison does not fit well together into these archetypes. Its a very loose comparison, and I only call it disrespectful because I have much respect for Batman and Joker as characters, and little respect for Dark Pit.

Dark Pit is a foil character, a doppelganger if you will, created in Pit's image to screw with/oppose/ be the "straight man" to Pit. And though he may have a stoic, cynical characterization, he's still a Dark/warped shard of the protagonist.
There is no "Dark Pit" without Pit. Which is why, I believe, despite whatever mannerisms that seperate the two, Dark Pit was better left as a palette swap.

Batman and the Joker may share elements within their origins, but neither of them caused the other, or was the inspiration for the other in their fictional timelines. If one of the two never happened, that doesn't mean the other wouldn't be relatively the same character. They effect each other certainly, but one's existence never depended on the other's. And sure you can say that Batman knocked Joker into the chemicals that changed him, but he was psychologically disturbed beforehand, and your argument is that Dark Pit is the Batman character, not the Joker character.

More relevant comic book comparisons would be Hulk/ Red Hulk, Wolverine/Daken, Superman/Bizarro. But then again, they'd all be appropriate palette swaps, like how Dark Pit should remain.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Look. I'm chill. No disrespect to you.

Any disrespect is to Dark Pit as a Smash character choice.

There are certain literary/universal arcetypes that you can group characters into. And the Joker/Pit and Dark Pit/Batman comparison does not fit well together into these archetypes. Its a very loose comparison, and I only call it disrespectful because I have much respect for Batman and Joker as characters, and little respect for Dark Pit.

Dark Pit is a foil character, a doppelganger if you will, created in Pit's image to screw with/oppose/ be the "straight man" to Pit. And though he may have a stoic, cynical characterization, he's still a Dark/warped shard of the protagonist.
There is no "Dark Pit" without Pit. Which is why, I believe, despite whatever mannerisms that seperate the two, Dark Pit was better left as a palette swap.

Batman and the Joker may share elements within their origins, but neither of them caused the other, or was the inspiration for the other in their fictional timelines. If one of the two never happened, that doesn't mean the other wouldn't be relatively the same character. They effect each other certainly, but one's existence never depended on the other's. And sure you can say that Batman knocked Joker into the chemicals that changed him, but he was psychologically disturbed beforehand, and your argument is that Dark Pit is the Batman character, not the Joker character.

More relevant comic book comparisons would be Hulk/ Red Hulk, Wolverine/Daken, Superman/Bizarro. But then again, they'd all be appropriate palette swaps, like how Dark Pit should remain.
I respect your post, but note that I wasn't actually entirely seriously with that comparison. As said, I was just thinking of a popular example of a straight man and funny man pair, since Dark Pit is pretty much the comedic foil to Pit's silly antics. One is entirely serious, and the other likes to make him the butt of the joke. That's really all there is to it.

Last edited:

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend

SSB4 will be separated from the other games. Maybe we will get something interesting...?
We might have the full roster by then but

I might still watch it.

it seems when you unlock Lucina, the clone section starts at the bottom row.
Hmmm woulden't that mean its possible all of the clone characters gets put next to shulk since they're are 4 of them in thr leak.

Last edited:

ElPanandero

Smash Lord
NNID
ElPanandero
We might have the full roster by then but

I might still watch it.

Hmmm woulden't that mean its possible all of the clone characters gets put next to shulk since they're are 4 of them in thr leak.
Aren't theyre only two spots left in that row or am I horrendous at spacial reasoning

Zynux

Smash Lord
The color selection seems pretty solid for the most part.

My main gripe: the alternate costumes. It's obvious that they didn't allocate enough resources for every character to at least have 1 unique costume, so the distribution of who get's an alt. and who doesn't seems to make little sense to me. Especially Samus, in all her games you always upgrade to different suits, and yet despite being a prime candidate for alts (in my opinion anyway) she just gets recolors. Oh well.

I just love how people are still trying to say the roster is final, even though Neo Zero confirmed it isn't.
Very shallow, imo. Considering how honest and dependable he has been over the years.
Just for clarification, Neo Zero did not confirm anything. All Neo Zero said is that he had a source that told him it was not the final roster, and that's it; nothing's confirmed, and the guy could either be lying or seriously misinformed.

With that said, everyone should be prepared for this to be all that we're getting, regardless of what leak says otherwise.

Last edited:

Sonic Poke

Smash Lord
Why? Nothing has changed since the leak. The all star mode was locked, I think that proves we'll get at least ONE more
Don't up your hopes guy... You are probably talking about two different leaks and at this point, two days before the release, in the past for example, we already had the entire Pokemon XY Pokedex... If there is another character, I think we are not going to know him 'till the Wii U version...

FalcoPaunch!121

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5386-9681-7388
The leak roster was 9 wide and 6 high

There was 5 emptys

4 on the row with shulk and 3rd partys

And 1 more above that.
I believe that the 3rd parties shall be joined with Rayman, and PoPo shall be in. Also, Falco's spot on the roster shall be moved to the clone section, as Pittoo shall switch with perhaps C. F. or Lucas.

Andinus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kyonyuudaisuki
Don't up your hopes guy... You are probably talking about two different leaks and at this point, two days before the release, in the past for example, we already had the entire Pokemon XY Pokedex... If there is another character, I think we are not going to know him 'till the Wii U version...
The rosters are going to be the same for both version though. In any case my guess is that what we have seen is the final initial roster, and we will hopefully be seeing some dlc packs within the next year or so.

Sonic Poke

Smash Lord
Falco's spot on the roster shall be moved to the clone section.
I give up...
The rosters are going to be the same for both version though. In any case my guess is that what we have seen is the final initial roster, and we will hopefully be seeing some dlc packs within the next year or so.
This is what I meant... But with very few words XD

Last edited:

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
I believe that the 3rd parties shall be joined with Rayman, and PoPo shall be in. Also, Falco's spot on the roster shall be moved to the clone section, as Pittoo shall switch with perhaps C. F. or Lucas.
Falco's been in every game since Melee. No way he's just gonna jump to the clone section that easily

Mr.X98

Smash Journeyman
Haven't been here much so I'll just post this fact:

-3DS version to feature portable stages
-GBA representation within Lucas (though not influential in character selection at all)
-Presumed Magicant (or Pink Cloud from Earthbound/Mother 2 as contributed by Weeman) stage on 3DS version
-Magicant is from Mother, a Famicom representative (not counting GBA port of course)
-New Pork City is now considered a "familiar stage" by practical standards
-New Pork City is not shown in leak
-Missed Opportunities (opinionated statement)

The following statements do not mean any thing in the lightest towards the game. But I posted this as a statement to see blunt reactions towards the concept. I have been mulling this over for quite some time, and I wish to see opinions from Dedicated Smashers.

Feel Free to comment and Thanks Again.

Last edited:

Weeman

Smash Crusader
Haven't been here much so I'll just post this fact:

-3DS version to feature portable stages
-GBA representation within Lucas (though not influential in character selection at all)
-Presumed Magicant stage on 3DS version
-Magicant is from Mother, a Famicom representative (not counting GBA port of course)
-New Pork City is now considered a "familiar stage" by practical standards
-New Pork City is not shown in leak
-Missed Opportunities (opinionated statement)

The following statements do not mean any thing in the lightest towards the game. But I posted this as a statement to see blunt reactions towards the concept. I have been mulling this over for quite some time, and I wish to see opinions from Dedicated Smashers.

Feel Free to comment and Thanks Again.
The stage could also be Pink Cloud from Earthbound/Mother 2

Deathcarter

Smash Lord
Why do a lot of people think we aren't getting anymore characters? We saw the lock on All-Star Mode and as far as we know all the relevant images and videos likely come from the ESRB leak. The evidence points to there being at least one more character we haven't seen yet while the idea of this being the full roster is mostly theory. I get being skeptical, but people do have a basis in believing the leaked roster isn't the full roster.

What people should be skeptical about is believing that there are five characters left. Assuming we have five unlockable characters left is being very optimistic regardless of the number of blank slots on the screen slots.

Last edited:

MagnesD3

Smash Master
Why do a lot of people think we aren't getting anymore characters? We saw the lock on All-Star Mode and as far as we know all the relevant images and videos likely come from the ESRB leak. The evidence points to there being at least one more character we haven't seen yet while the idea of this being the full roster is mostly theory. I get being skeptical, but people do have a basis in believing the leaked roster isn't the full roster.

What people should be skeptical about is believing that there are five characters left. Assuming we have five unlockable characters left is being very optimistic regardless of the number of blank slots on the screen slots.
We are afraid

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom