• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Little Mac, Mega Man, and to an even greater extent Rosalina add something to the game that no other characters have: a power meter, a projectile-based moveset, and a puppeteer. WFT and Villager bring completely different styles of playing/fighting (health-based moveset and collecting).
So what? Snake brought something no other character had, as did Zero Suit Samus, Pit, and Meta Knight. And Villager is reminiscent of Mr. Game & Watch and Rosalina & Luma are reminiscent of Pikmin & Olimar.

He's always done this. And even if this was anything new, what makes you think it rules out any character sharing moves with others?

Espio264

Smash Ace
A random reveal by Sakurai.

However, Cranky Kong is goin' reveal himself (get your minds out of the gutter) tomorrow on Twitter. :troll:
You must be some kind of witch or psychic or something. I don't tell anybody that I keep my mind in the gutter.

On to the point at hand, If Cranky reveals himself a newcomer and Sakurai reveals "Random character," do the two reveals contradict each other? Do they cancel out or does Cranky get seniority? Can Cranky veto Sakurai's reveal via Twitter, or is that not how Twitter works? Honestly I'm very interested in this.

And I just scarfed down a whole lotta jelly beans.

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
No time for Semi-clones this time around, it's all about the uniqueness, and everyone is offering something different.

Villager: Huge moveset consisting of items and abilities from Animal Crossing as well as classic Nintendo franchises such as Balloon Fighter.
MegaMan: Heavy Projectile character with first projectile Smash attack and neutral jabs
Wii Fit Trainer: Fights using exercises
Rosalina: Uses a puppet moveset with the Luma unlike anything seen before
Little Mac: Punching moveset using a power bar
Ridley: Character with strong aerial capabilities and unique aerial combos
King K.Rool: Versatile heavyweight with alot of personality
Tetra: A pirate fighting style with several items from Wind Waker
Shulk: A swordsman with a level-up system
Takamaru: Combo-heavy swordsman with unique ninja like items
Robin: Stance Change character
Pac-Man: Uses a super unique fighting style based around eating and Power Berries
Mewtwo: Heavyweight psychic fighter with unique burst like attacks and psychic playstyle

We have what we need, to hell with Semi-clones at this point. Uniqueness is king.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Our Lord shall return form the ashes to purge the sin of this world.

Back in our day, he died for our sins and turned water into wine, and we liked it!
And all it took him was 3 lives and 3 continues.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
To be fair, Ganondorf and Falcon have similar builds, which led to Ganondorf being a clone in Melee. Are Goroh and Falcon similar in build?
That's not a fair excuse. He has way more similar body build than Toon Link, Pichu, and Wolf.

Are we really arguing against Samurai Goroh being a semi-clone of Captain Falcon? :facepalm:

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

You must be some kind of witch or psychic or something. I don't tell anybody that I keep my mind in the gutter.

On to the point at hand, If Cranky reveals himself a newcomer and Sakurai reveals "Random character," do the two reveals contradict each other? Do they cancel out or does Cranky get seniority? Can Cranky veto Sakurai's reveal via Twitter, or is that not how Twitter works? Honestly I'm very interested in this.

And I just scarfed down a whole lotta jelly beans.
No, I meant the next reveal by Sakurai will be a random one, while Cranky will reveal himself, not Sakurai.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
So what? Snake brought something no other character had, as did Zero Suit Samus, Pit, and Meta Knight. And Villager is reminiscent of Mr. Game & Watch and Rosalina & Luma are reminiscent of Pikmin & Olimar.

He's always done this. And even if this was anything new, what makes you think it rules out any character sharing moves with others?
What did Pit and Meta Knight bring? Not criticizing your argument, but I need to see what they did.

Yes, Villager is generally a very gimmicky character like G&W, so that's fair. Though Villager has a unique ability to collect projectiles and regular items in matches and use them again at any time (it seems to be very important to Sakurai as he stressed it in the Smash Direct in June). And Rosalina/Luma aren't like Pikmin and Olimar. Yes, they are both generally one character in command using another to make it fare better in matches, but the player has little control over the Pikmin, it's Olimar who they really control. Meanwhile, with Rosalina/Luma, you have more control over both characters than with Pikmin/Olimar.

Espio264

Smash Ace
No time for Semi-clones this time around, it's all about the uniqueness, and everyone is offering something different.

Villager: Huge moveset consisting of items and abilities from Animal Crossing as well as classic Nintendo franchises such as Balloon Fighter.
MegaMan: Heavy Projectile character with first projectile Smash attack and neutral jabs
Pac-Man: Uses a super unique fighting style based around eating and Power Berries
Mewtwo: Heavyweight psychic fighter with unique burst like attacks and psychic playstyle

We have what we need, to hell with Semi-clones at this point. Uniqueness is king.
See now, this makes me want a real "Hell" stage. And all of the previously cut characters and proposed but not good enough semi-clones can be seen wandering around lost and tormented but completely oblivious to the battle at hand. That'd be rad, and horrible all at the same time.

It could be Hades' home stage. You know if we get him.

No, I meant the next reveal by Sakurai will be a random one, while Cranky will reveal himself, not Sakurai.
Exactly. But if Cranky and Sakurai reveal at the same time, does one render the other useless? Basically, who would win in a fight, Sakurai or Cranky?

Picturing that made me sad.

Last edited:

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
What did Pit and Meta Knight bring? Not criticizing your argument, but I need to see what they did.
A hell of a lot more than punching, lasers, springs, and throwing objects. Meta Knight had super fast swordplay combined with flying.

Yes, Villager is generally a very gimmicky character like G&W, so that's fair. Though Villager has a unique ability to collect projectiles and regular items in matches and use them again at any time (it seems to be very important to Sakurai as he stressed it in the Smash Direct in June). And Rosalina/Luma aren't like Pikmin and Olimar. Yes, they are both generally one character in command using another to make it fare better in matches, but the player has little control over the Pikmin, it's Olimar who they really control. Meanwhile, with Rosalina/Luma, you have more control over both characters than with Pikmin/Olimar.
Yes, these characters are unique. Just like Snake and Zero Suit Samus. I still don't see what this has to do with there not being semi-clones. It means literally nothing.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691

...Yes, only I would have just argued with the 5 we have confirmed, but still true. The five newcomers we have have distinct moves and abilities that are seen by no other in this game that contribute to the overall playstyle of that character.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
See now, this makes me want a real "Hell" stage. And all of the previously cut characters and proposed but not good enough semi-clones can be seen wandering around lost and tormented but completely oblivious to the battle at hand. That'd be rad, and horrible all at the same time.

It could be Hades' home stage. You know if we get him.
Wouldn't Hades be one of those background characters though?

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
...Yes, only I would have just argued with the 5 we have confirmed, but still true. The five newcomers we have have distinct moves and abilities that are seen by no other in this game that contribute to the overall playstyle of that character.
Let's review! Characters in Brawl that brought something entirely new:

Zero Suit Samus: Whip-like weapon based play style
Snake: Play style heavily based on new military weaponry
Meta Knight: Super fast swordplay combined with flight
Wario: A Bike and farting.
Ike: Heavy Swordplay
Pokemon Trainer: Trio tag team

How many clones/semi-clones were added to Brawl again? Three to be exact.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
Yes, these characters are unique. Just like Snake and Zero Suit Samus. I still don't see what this has to do with there not being semi-clones. It means literally nothing.
The fact that the five we have bring something completely new that diversifies their playstyle make people believe Sakurai is only going for very unique characters. The time of adding characters the way he did in previous games is over: many people, myself included, believe that there aren't that many characters that need to be added, so many people can believe that the bar is set high for newcomers. It's my opinion: in this game, there is a bar, and as such, the more unique newcomers will get over other newcomers, similar to a priority list.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Give this man a big 'ol cookie. He's clever.

But who would Hades be a semi-clone of?
Well, I just figured a "Hell" stage would likely also feature characters who were considered, but didn't make the final cut, which seems like a possible scenario if Palutena becomes the second Kid Icarus rep.

But Hades could probably be a clone of Ganondorf.

Last edited:

Rebellious Treecko

Smash Hero
Give this man a big 'ol cookie. He's clever.

But who would Hades be a semi-clone of?
Wii Fit Trainer.

Also, Ridley needs air grabs. Attacks that have the same animations and effects as his regular grabs except you can preform them in the air! The down throw would be a possible meteor smash.

-----

Last edited:

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
Yes, because going off of what happened in Brawl really makes sense when now in Smash 4 Sakurai himself clearly stated that he wants the newcomers to be as unique as possible when nothing of said stature was made during Brawl's development...failed logic is failed. :rolleyes:

Speaking of which, remember that dare?
I do not. :p

Espio264

Smash Ace

I don't know, ZSS and Sonic had the same kinda down kick thing going. Who's to say what's a clone and what's not? What is reality? OH GOD! I CAN SEE THE MATRIX!
Samus was prettier than Sonic though, maybe you're right.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691

And those characters were: Toon Link, Wolf, and Lucas. Two of those 3 were last-minute additions, as supported by Brawl's data.

I am positive there are newcomers being created that are semi-clones, but not as many as we have seen in previous games, and these characters, if necessary, will not get over the more unique newcomers, making them less of a priority.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
He used his sword as an assist trophy, why would he not use it as a playable character?
Because Assist Trophies and playable characters are two different things. First of all, Sakurai wasn't making an entire move set for him so he had time, second of all he wasn't a playable character so it made sense for him to be different from Captain Falcon. That's like trying to justify Ganondorf having a sword in Brawl because he showed it off so much in Melee.

Having Samurai Goroh use his sword as an assist trophy makes sense. But, not when he's a playable character alongside Captain Falcon.

D

Deleted member

Exactly. But if Cranky and Sakurai reveal at the same time, does one render the other useless? Basically, who would win in a fight, Sakurai or Cranky?

Picturing that made me sad.
Cranky.
Sakurai must respect his elders.
And since the "random reveal" would most likely be Diddy due to Tropical Freeze....Diddy knows better than to argue with Cranky.

Espio264

Smash Ace
But Hades could probably be a clone of Ganondorf.
If you clone a clone, what do you get?

Wolf and Falco essentially branch off from the same batch, but if Hades is direct Ganonspawn, does Captain Falcon get a new moveset? Will Captain Falcon allow it?

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
And those characters were: Toon Link, Wolf, and Lucas. Two of those 3 were last-minute additions, as supported by Brawl's data.

I am positive there are newcomers being created that are semi-clones, but not as many as we have seen in previous games, and these characters, if necessary, will not get over the more unique newcomers, making them less of a priority.
Again, your logic is faulty.

1. Only 2 of those characters were last to be implemented
  2. Being the last to be implemented can be for several reasons unrelated to your move set
  3. Being the last to be implemented does not at all mean you were even close to not making the cut
  4. You can't be positive that there are less than Brawl
  5. Having a semi-clone move set does not determine every character's priority. Again look at Lucas
I don't mean to sound rude, but why are you still trying to convince me there will be no semi-clones?

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
If you clone a clone, what do you get?

Wolf and Falco essentially branch off from the same batch, but if Hades is direct Ganonspawn, does Captain Falcon get a new moveset? Will Captain Falcon allow it?
Maybe Hades could inherit Ganondorf's moveset while Ganondorf actually uses his sword.

But this is rather off topic at this point.

D

Deleted member

Maybe Hades could inherit Ganondorf's moveset while Ganondorf actually uses his sword.

How is discussing about a character off-topic in the Official Character Discussion thread?

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Ganondorf's sword wouldn't bring anything newer than his current move set. So why bother when we're already facing constraints?

Espio264

Smash Ace

Hades is a viable character possibility. As is a possible tweaked Ganondorf. We're on topic. Plus I don't know about the Kirby cook anyway.

Ganondorf's sword wouldn't bring anything newer than his current move set. So why bother when we're already facing constraints?
I don't know, if they were to have him wave it around in one of his taunts and have the potential to whack and thus K.O. another player like how Luigi's taunt can kick you, I wouldn't really consider it change to the moveset, but I would giggle with delight.

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
How is discussing about a character off-topic in the Official Character Discussion thread?
Kind of because we're going off about what was basically a small joke on my part, and it's not really related to what the rest of the people here are talking about. I guess it isn't terribly off topic, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom