• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
My opinion time:

- Bowser Jr: Looks awesome. They managed to make him totally unique and seemingly fun to play with that Clown Car.

- Shulk: Eh.

- Dr. Mario: This part is definitely true. I'm happy because I never thought Dr. Mario was a bad choice, and I'm happy to see him if he's in.

- Ganondorf: Same moveset, but doesn't really seem like a clone anymore. His animations are changed to be point where he is a semi-clone at best, and just similar at most. If his moveset looked like this in Melee nobody would've noticed.

- Lucina: She looks very awesome, and fast.

- Duck Hunt Dog: I would really like to see footage of this character already.

- Dark Pit: Negatory.

PlTe

Smash Journeyman
Bowser Jr. - Good. Bowser Jr's in the game.
Shulk - Don't know the source material, but I supported his inclusion. Didn't seem like your typical old swordsman. Would like to play as him.
Dr. Mario - 50/50. Maybe they made him separate cause Dr. Mario can't have F.L.U.D.D. Played Dr. Mario in Melee, glad to see him back though.
Ganondorf - Glad he's back, but having the same move set is a meh imo
Duck Hunt Dog - *airhorns* MAKE WAY FOR DUCK HUNT DOG WOOTWOOOOT
Dark Pit - I don't care how many reps KI deserves to have, I'm f**king happy. The more the better.
Wario - Good.
Ice Climbers - WHERE ARE THEY. NOOOOO.

Hopefully the DLC leak is true though.

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
I want to point out that the videos are 99% true, but they can still be fake. Someone of you remember those Mario Galaxy DS videos? they were so good that they looked like official materials, but they were extremely fake.
I still think that Dark Pit makes no sense in the roster, just like Dark Samus is an assist, Dark Link is a palette swap, Shadow Mario is not in, Shadow Kirby or Shadow MetaKnight from Amazing Mirror aren't in, etc.
Each one of those character can have an unique moveset, at the same time you can come out with multiple alternative movesets for veteran characters, it's not that the point. "Dark" characters simply are a variation of another character, and they are unnecessary since the main character already represent them. I mean, give me Dark Samus as playable, it makes so much more sense and it's more memorable... even Dark Link is more memorable, this doesn't mean that those characters deserve a spot in the roster.

Niala

Smash Ace
Anybody else getting Crashboards'd a bit?

In any case, I really like what I'm seeing. I'm a little (read: tiny tiny tiny tiny amount) bit disappointed about Bowser Jr. not having a Paintbrush moveset, but him and Shulk look great.

Ganondorf... porque senor Sakurai, PORQUE?!

Last edited:

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Video uploader says theres more characters and his name is "Dubadubadubizattrue2"

Rhythm Heaven character incoming

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I want to point out that the videos are 99% true, but they can still be fake. Someone of you remember those Mario Galaxy DS videos? they were so good that they looked like official materials, but they were extremely fake.
This is true, I must say. Though I would like to point out that fake Mario Galaxy DS thing was self-contained; there was nothing to directly compare it to except the original Super Mario Galaxy. While this strictly resembles the game it's imitating. Still, it's possible it's fake, but I wouldn't count on it. Then again, exactly three hours ago I thought this was utter bull, so what do I know?

And I agree about Dark Pit. If Dark Samus is an AT, why isn't Dark Pit?

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
My opinion real quick:

Bowser Jr. I'm ecstatic for this inclusion. Really liked how he looked playing out there!

Shulk: OH GREAT, ANOTHER FALCONDORF SCENARIO. Shulk your leaked game-play disappointed me.

Ganondorf: Some justice was done to give added element effects to his moves but honestly, he's still Falcondorf-esque, & that strongly bothers me while also de-hyping me from a different Ganondorf for Sm4sh & 5. The game-play leak disappoints me, again.

Lucina: Looks & appeared, according to that leak footage of her game-play, seemed legit. Fast, nimble, & quick to recover from her moves she feels like the novice-level Marth she was told to be. Impressed & grateful to her inclusion.

The rest of the cast has my decency approval. Including Dark Pit.

wizardto1

Smash Lord
NNID
waddledee3
3DS FC
1676-4166-2291
Bowser Jr. - Good. Bowser Jr's in the game.
Shulk - Don't know the source material, but I supported his inclusion. Didn't seem like your typical old swordsman. Would like to play as him.
Dr. Mario - 50/50. Maybe they made him separate cause Dr. Mario can't have F.L.U.D.D. Played Dr. Mario in Melee, glad to see him back though.
Ganondorf - Glad he's back, but having the same move set is a meh imo
Duck Hunt Dog - *airhorns* MAKE WAY FOR DUCK HUNT DOG WOOTWOOOOT
Dark Pit - I don't care how many reps KI deserves to have, I'm f**king happy. The more the better.
Wario - Good.
Ice Climbers - WHERE ARE THEY. NOOOOO.

Hopefully the DLC leak is true though.
The mods found out that the DLC part is fake.

~Krystal~

True American Heroine
Is it just me or is Snailboards happening? I guess the masses have caught wind.

Check the "Leak 6" vid at 0:39. Lucina blatantly hammers Shulk, yet Falchion passes through like he's a ****ing ghost. lolwut?

Leafeon523

Smash Ace
NNID
Leafeon523
3DS FC
2466-1607-7000
Call me pessimistic, but I think that we are only getting what was shown in the roster select screen leak. No DLC, no Ridley, no Ice Climbers.

Graizen

Smash Champion
Can someone confirm for me if Ridley and Mewtwo got confirmed as well becouse of the vídeo leaks?

Plz!

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
The Crashboards right now is so real...Shulk looks so interesting- i love complicated characters because no one knows how to fight them or as them as effectively. And I wanted him. A lot. And Bowser Jr. looks so good!! The tongue on the Clown Car attacks and it shoots Bullet Bills. Hype. Such hype.

Maxilian

Smash Ace
So...
How about this for a final roster?

View attachment 22986

I would be totally okay with this tbh, since Ghirahim is dead now anyway...
I like that roster, but i don't think we will get Match Rider and Snake, IMO they are completely out (Lucas and Wolf still have a chance) and expecting Ridley, Impa and Dixie is way too much (We may get one and maybe 2 -that will be really good but i doubt it-, but we won't get all of them)

Can someone confirm for me if Ridley and Mewtwo got confirmed as well becouse of the vídeo leaks?

Plz!
No, they haven't been confirmed, but there's a leak that says that they may be in the game so lets pray and wait

Joe D.

Smash Ace
NNID
NeroSnare
3DS FC
2552-1665-5337
Okay, so wait. Is this the final roster that we've seen? Or are there still more unconfirmed characters? Because I like what I see, but I'm also a bit dissapointed. I mean, Dr. Mario, but no Wolf? No Mewtwo?

Niala

Smash Ace
Okay, so wait. Is this the final roster that we've seen? Or are there still more unconfirmed characters? Because I like what I see, but I'm also a bit dissapointed. I mean, Dr. Mario, but no Wolf? No Mewtwo?
Somebody said recently that the leaker was saying there was more to still be unlocked ( @ Spinosaurus Spinosaurus perhaps?) I'd go find the post but I can't really navigate the thread atm.

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
So...
How about this for a final roster?

View attachment 22986

I would be totally okay with this tbh, since Ghirahim is dead now anyway...
I don't wanna be 'that' guy, but I'm gonna be nit-picky with the roster a bit, for once, & not give blunt simple ratings with not explanation behind it. To me, I feel Yoshi should be behind DK's series since they're both Minor Mario characters but with their own series, DK came first with Mario & Yoshi came 2nd after DK. Wario is good there. I dig Impa as LoZ could use another newcomer. Still not sure about Ridley now since I felt doubtful before the leak & still doubtful of him now, but still cool for him to be in the roster as Metroid newcomer. DP is practically guaranteed now according to the solid leak atm. The retro area past Captain Falcon I feel G&W should replace Mach Rider's spot in case Mach Rider is or is not atm confirmed. I see Mach Rider as unlikely but a retro out-of-nowhere inclusion is interesting. I'm disappointed on the Pokemon row not having at most 7 pokemon for my obvious reason but I'm overcoming the bias within me so no worries on that since it's on me. Because I'd say 7 pokemon I'd have to say that one or the other Mother characters would be cut for that inclusion to fit with my hypothetical examination of the 5th row. Snake is the last iffy but I feel he has a decent chance if it were to be DLC. Since now that's done, I'll give my overall rating:

No Bias included: Sceptile & Black Shadow, meaning my rating will be universal & be the majority vote:

:4falcon::4falcon::4falcon::4falcon::4falcon::4falcon::4falcon::4falcon::4falcon: out fo 10 HYESZ! for exceeding the 18+ amount of newcomers if we account of Dr. Mario & Mewtwo as newcomers for returning from Melee yet skipping Brawl. Thanks for Posting.

EDIT: Gotdayum @ Niala Niala that small green area of font color looks so damn good in your purple post.:shades:

Last edited:

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand

Niala

Smash Ace

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
View attachment 22991

Fixed an issue with my roster. It now has Chorus Kids over Mach Rider.
My nit-picks with the roster placement slots:
  • Yoshi & Wario being there before the DK series barely fazes me but it's a tiny irk.
  • I have a decent viewpoint of Ridley atm. So much demand for him clouds my judgement but I should just say he's more likely a Stage Boss / Classic Mode Boss.
  • Shulk being between Captain Falcon & Little Mac looks weird but it's a nit-pick. Him being a JRGP character I feel he should be on FE & Mother's row than the 3rd.
  • Unsure about Mewtwo, really unsure about Ness / Lucas & how it may go down disregarding the leak. I see one or the other, yet I can see both returning. This way for the nit-pick to be satisfied Shulk would be after Ness to have that area of JRPG set.
  • Last nit-pick is the empty spot from Shulk moved down to the 4th row, move G&W to the retro area of the roster on the 3rd row, & add in Random because that's important, you're set.
Again they're nit-picks so I'm not rating based off that. My overall score for your new fixed roster is:
:4falcon::4falcon::4falcon::4falcon::4falcon::4falcon::4falcon::4falcon::4falcon::falcon64: out of 10 HYESZ! for having 18+ brand newcomers & some old favorites returning to be pusedo-veteran newcomers making it 20+ along with a reasonable roster currently. I could barely ask for anything better! I'm down with your roster to the max Ken. Thanks for Posting~

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
Man I feel so spoiled. Oh wai--
Sm4sh's finalized starting roster feels legit but I'm expecting more coming around for SSB5 in the winter hopefully.

NeonBurrito

Smash Ace
If this means that Mewtwo, a DK newcomer and a Rhythm Heaven newcomer are making the cut, I now like this roster.
Sure, it sucks in a whole lot of places but I can't resist Mewtwo + Rhythm Heaven character. For the Donkey Kong newcomer, I would honestly rather have Cranky Kong over Dixie. don't hit me

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom