• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Mach Rider with a suit that can transform into a motorcycle. Then you can have Samus stumble onto old Earth (which is a wasteland) and battle Mach Rider before working in an alliance.

M23-X0

Smash Journeyman
I was wandering on some forums about the inclusion of Isaac in Smash Bros, and each times I see his name, Shulk is attached to it. Do you guys think that it's either Shulk or Isaac ?
In your opinion, does Sakurai had to choose between them when making the roster ? I know that they are not similars gameplay wise, but they are both blond haired swordman from a serie not included in Smash.

I want to play both of them, and it would be a pity if the inclusion of one is reducing the probability of the other one...

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
I was wandering on some forums about the inclusion of Isaac in Smash Bros, and each times I see his name, Shulk is attached to it. Do you guys think that it's either Shulk or Isaac ?
In your opinion, does Sakurai had to choose between them when making the roster ? I know that they are not similars gameplay wise, but they are both blond haired swordman from a serie not included in Smash.

I want to play both of them, and it would be a pity if the inclusion of one is reducing the probability of the other one...
Honestly speaking, they fill different niches, so I don't believe they are mutually exclusive. If anything, Robin or all characters would be more affected by the idea of Isaac being in than Shulk.

View attachment 8842

I decided to make a new roster including full roster, starting roster and unlocking order, enjoy. :p
Want or prediction roster?

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue

If it was between a newborn but critically acclaimed Xenoblade, and the long-running Golden Sun. I would easily easily pick Shulk.
I sometimes have a hard time imagining that both could be in.

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Well the Shulk icon was created by Ariand/AEM, and I made the Ridley icon myself, so here you go:

View attachment 8844
kthxbai

If it was between a newborn but critically acclaimed Xenoblade, and the long-running Golden Sun. I would easily easily pick Shulk.
I sometimes have a hard time imagining that both could be in.
They're both completely different, unique characters.
Having them co-exist shouldn't bother me, yet...

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I just personally feel like the Golden Sun series is going to be overlooked. I'm not an expert on the series, but I can see it getting overlooked. It doesn't come across to me as a huge series for Nintendo, and while Xenoblade isn't huge either, it spurred the start of a series that is bound to get some coverage, and already has from Nintendo.

I personally just don't see Isaac getting in.

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I just personally feel like the Golden Sun series is going to be overlooked. I'm not an expert on the series, but I can see it get overlooked. It doesn't come across to me as a huge series for Nintendo, and while Xenoblade isn't huge either, it spurred the start of a series.

This is coming from a Shulk supporter XD.

But yeah, I think that too. Even if we get a Golden Sun character, it could be Matthew.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
I just personally feel like the Golden Sun series is going to be overlooked. I'm not an expert on the series, but I can see it get overlooked. It doesn't come across to me as a huge series for Nintendo, and while Xenoblade isn't huge either, it spurred the start of a series.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but,
I think it was bigger than pikmin before brawl....

sakuri is a guy to go back on missed ideas, so I can easily see Issac or Mathew getting in.

Last edited:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276

And Golden Sun has had 3 games and is having one re-released for VC. Isaac himself is a popularly requested character with a lot to offer variety -wise (which is something Sakurai has emphasized). Whilst Isaac is by no means a shoo-in character at all, he has more going for him than what many people give credit for. I don''t believe Isaac has a terrible chance.

Last edited:

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
I just personally feel like the Golden Sun series is going to be overlooked. I'm not an expert on the series, but I can see it get overlooked. It doesn't come across to me as a huge series for Nintendo, and while Xenoblade isn't huge either, it spurred the start of a series that is bound to get some coverage, and already has from Nintendo.

This is exactly how I feel about Golden Sun.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Correct me if I'm wrong, but,
I think it was bigger than pikmin before brawl....

sakuri is a guy to go back on missed ideas, so I can easily see Issac or Mathew getting in.
Bigger than Pikmin? No. Pikmin was way more iconic and important to Nintendo. And I wouldn't be so quick to say Sakurai goes back on missed ideas. Several times he has planned a character and either forgot about it completely or at least didn't have it in mind the next installment until something else came up.

Sonic almost got into Melee and yet he was not immediately what Sakurai had in mind in Brawl. Being a last minute addition.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Golden Sun hits a very awkward spot for me. It's not huge, but it's not miniscule. Its future is kind of uncertain afaik. While I do fancy the idea of Isaac, he just feels like the type of character who'll just barely miss out this round.

Last edited:

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
I think IP additions are only going to be the absolute best and most iconic mascot franchises of Nintendo. I would not categorize Golden Sun as this. It's great and popular, but certainly not as much.

Last edited by a moderator:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
So what makes Shulk more likelier than Isaac, considering that the whole "not a major franchise" can also be argued against him?

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Why wouldn't they go for Golden Sun if Isaac can offer so much?

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
When did I ever say Shulk was even likely?
I'm just pointing out you're missing out on the game.
A great game deserves representation, and I think Xenoblade franchise in the form of a character is the best way to go.

Uniqueness is not the only thing to take into account when considering characters.

Last edited:

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Why wouldn't they go for Starfy and Advance Wars if they can offer so much?

I wasn't aiming that at you, just people in general who do see Shulk as much more likely than Isaac.
Shulk being more likely than Issac is just ridiculous

I'm just pointing out you're missing out on the game.
A great game deserves representation, and I think Xenoblade franchise in the form of a character is the best way to go.
I wasn't referring to personal opinion and sales.

Last edited by a moderator:

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
Bigger than Pikmin? No. Pikmin was way more iconic and important to Nintendo.
let's see...

Golden Sun:
1.76m
Golden Sun: The Lost Age:
1.22m

Pikmin:
1.63m
Pikmin 2:
1.20m

Checkmate.

Olimar was chosen for the sole reason Miyamoto made him.

Last edited:

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
People can deny it as they wish, but ever since the last Nintendo Direct basically confirming X is tied/heavily associated with Xenoblade Chronicles, Shulk's chances are anything but unlikely.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
So what makes Shulk more likelier than Isaac, considering that the whole "not a major franchise" can also be argued against him?
The major focus that Nintendo has placed on Xenoblade and X.

In the last Nintendo Direct, Satoru Iwata directly referenced Xenoblade Chronicles when he was going to talk about "X", and not to mention the Puzzle Swap board that Xenoblade Chronicles has received. Only Mario, DK, Pokemon, Metroid, Star Fox, Pokemon, Pikmin...and a few other series have received this. Not even the other two Rainfall games, being Pandora's Tower and The Last Story.

Shulk is the most requested character from a series not yet represented as playable in Smash Bros in Japan, which is fairly good in the grand scheme of things. The difference between Golden Sun and Xenoblade/X, is that it is a series that is looking like it's going to grow. This might be Nintendo's version of Final Fantasy in a way. Golden Sun, although having a game a few years ago, has had nothing. Its not dead, but it isn't active either.

This isn't a case of recency, it's a case of what's important to Nintendo. X is going to be a big title, and it isn't going to have a main protagonist. Xenoblade is the spiritual predecessor to X, and Shulk is the protagonist of the game. He makes perfect sense.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Probably. But remember that Golden Sun was also heavily supported by a sequel by the fans. Camelot mostly made Dark Dawn cause of that, not because they really intended to. If Isaac can make it to Smash, fans would easily push for another game. It's one of the main reasons I want Isaac in.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
People can deny it as they wish, but ever since the last Nintendo Direct basically confirming X is tied/heavily associated with Xenoblade Chronicles, Shulk's chances are anything but unlikely.
Don't you mean likely.
In that case I'd like to point out:
:ness2::lucas:

Probably. But remember that Golden Sun was also heavily supported by a sequel by the fans. Camelot mostly made Dark Dawn cause of that, not because they really intended to. If Isaac can make it to Smash, fans would easily push for another game. It's one of the main reasons I want Isaac in.
If Sakurai sees potential, he'll probably consider adding him into the roster.

Last edited:

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
let's see...

Golden Sun:
1.76m
Golden Sun: The Lost Age:
1.22m

Pikmin:
1.63m
Pikmin 2:
1.20m

Checkmate.

Olimar was chosen for the sole reason Miyamoto made him.
Okay, I am getting so tired of people acting like sales determines everything. Pikmin unlike Golden Sun, was constantly referenced and just given overall better treatment than Nintendo and was overall more memorable. Having more sales does not mean a game is more memorable than another. It just means more people saw the trailers and boxart and decided it looked fun. There are plenty of games with higher sales than others that practically nobody remembers.

And Olimar was only chosen because he was Miyamoto? What??? Then why don't we have Muddy Mole in Brawl? Checkmate, my ass.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
Don't you mean likely.
In that case I'd like to point out:
:ness2::lucas:
No, I meant he's everything but unlikely, which means that he's indeed a character whose inclusion is very possible, and to say otherwise when X is being uplayed so much and is shown to have heavy ties to Xenoblade is denial, especially when it basically puts Shulk in an even better position than he was before, which was already one of the prime newcomers from a new franchise.

Are they very unlikely?
Not in the slightest.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
You should've used Google to translate it into cave man talk.
Unless I can get someone to help with an accurate translation. I don't think it's a good idea.

Plus English stands out more. :p

Last edited:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Sales are irrelevant. Ike was the lord of the worst selling Fire Emblem at the time of his inclusion in Smash Bros. The sales didn't mean anything.

If Nintendo doesn't consider Golden Sun a big deal, then they just don't put it on a pedestal. They felt that Pikmin outprioritized Golden Sun, and here we are. Not everything has a hidden meaning, but by business standards, if there is something you want to push, you do whatever is necessary to make that game stand out.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Golden Sun was pretty much the EarthBound from the GBA. The fact it's a second party franchise shouldn't matter much if said developer is making games like Mario Golf and Mario Tennis. :rolleyes:

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
The major focus that Nintendo has placed on Xenoblade and X.
Define MAJOR focus.

In the last Nintendo Direct, Satoru Iwata directly referenced Xenoblade Chronicles when he was going to talk about "X", and not to mention the Puzzle Swap board that Xenoblade Chronicles has received. Only Mario, DK, Pokemon, Metroid, Star Fox, Pokemon, Pikmin...and a few other series have received this. Not even the other two Rainfall games, being Pandora's Tower and The Last Story.
You didn't seem to care about little things like that when F-Zero was involved.

Shulk is the most requested character from a series not yet represented as playable in Smash Bros in Japan, which is fairly good in the grand scheme of things. The difference between Golden Sun and Xenoblade/X, is that it is a series that is looking like it's going to grow. This might be Nintendo's version of Final Fantasy in a way. Golden Sun, although having a game a few years ago, has had nothing. Its not dead, but it isn't active either.

Just gonna leave this here

This isn't a case of recency, it's a case of what's important to Nintendo. X is going to be a big title, and it isn't going to have a main protagonist. Xenoblade is the spiritual predecessor to X, and Shulk is the protagonist of the game. He makes perfect sense.
How do you know X is going to be a big title?

I'm not really supportive of either Issac or Shulk, but I just wanted to point out these seem like weird ways of deeming a character likely or unlikely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom