• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Am still not buying the idea of Mii, PacMan and Ridley.

Mii is a terrible idea, and Villager has made him redundant I feel.
PacMan is nearly not as ´classic´ or needed as people say, and in fact, Namco´s involvement shouldn´t mean anything at all. If it would, we would´ve seen items or stages from Namco games already.
Ridley just has far too many issues to be made as a playable character, even though I´d like to be proved wrong, I don´t think the Smash team is capable enough to make a truely balanced, non-awkward, functional Ridley moveset.
Ridley has issues? Have you seen Angelglory's comparisons with the Other M model???

He's basically Bowser with wings and a neck. He's hardly that awkward compared to the Super Metroid model.

Why would we get Namco related stuff before a character? I agree with what you said about Mii's, but not Pac-Man.

Last edited:

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Am still not buying the idea of Mii, PacMan and Ridley.

Mii is a terrible idea, and Villager has made him redundant I feel.
PacMan is nearly not as ´classic´ or needed as people say, and in fact, Namco´s involvement shouldn´t mean anything at all. If it would, we would´ve seen items or stages from Namco games already.
Ridley just has far too many issues to be made as a playable character, even though I´d like to be proved wrong, I don´t think the Smash team is capable enough to make a truely balanced, non-awkward, functional Ridley moveset.

What were you saying about ridley being akward

Last edited:

Man Li Gi

Smash Lord
NNID
ManLiGi
If Ridley is going to be that big tho, I don't know if I want him. His hurtbox is just too big (if it is that big). If it was scaled down even further tho, then I am ok with it.

SmasherMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
TelevisionGamer
I hope if Sakurai does add Ridley, he has a combination of Other M and Brawl look.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero

What were you saying about ridley being akward
Okay, from the front he looks awkward in a totally different way. "Oh hai gaiz". Seriously Ridley; never look straight at someone. It's horrendous.

But the size comparison is actually really interesting. Less tall, but more horizontal than I think many detractors probably considered. A size like that isn't too much of a stretch and is feasible. Huge reach, but a huge target. Could see it working.

Cobalsh

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2578-3430-9913
Here's this, because I was bored.
XGHDs Roster.png

Not a prediction, just for funz.
Watch there be a new roster display thread.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Sometimes I wish you guys could at least explore all of the choices people suggest in Smashboards. Lip and Takamaru aren't the only available retros Sakurai could consider, nor Isaac and Saki are the only logical new series choices just because they were ATs in Brawl.
I've already glanced at most of the threads, but I'm being realistic here, most of those choices have just about as much of a chance of getting in as my Happy Mask Salesman idea. There are a few good ones, but I'd personally rather see Takamaru and Lip, and Takamaru already has the highest chance while Lip has a pretty decent one.

Takamaru is in a prime position to be brought into the game, not solely because he's retro and a popular choice, but in that he's a Pittoo (:awesome:) of sorts. With Nazo no Murasame Jo being to Zelda what Kid Icarus was to Metroid, having Link, Samus, Pit, and Takamaru all together again would be a delight, a full family reunion.

I mostly want Lip to be in so IS won't be afraid of her games not being able to sell outside of Japan because of being too cutesy, they've made the series generic looking so they wouldn't have to redo the whole visuals each time they port the game over, with Lip being reduced to a secret extra, that isn't even in the ported versions. Sakurai also has a soft spot for the series, so it's always possible that if he sees support for her coming from outside Japan, he'd think twice about not adding her due to her "obscure" status.

As far as new series reps go, we've already got four so far, with Mac obviously being an upgraded assist trophy, I'm doubtful we'll see Saki or Isaac make the jump as well. Shulk seems to be the popular choice for a new series rep, and Sakurai did tweet that picture of the Monado, so I'm going with him currently.

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
No one really does the Captain N alliance either for a family reunion. :urg: (But that pretty unlikely)
I'll just go with my Gameboy family alliance with Muddy Mole and Sable.
My ideal retros are Sable and Duck Hunt Dog.
I really want DHD to happen, but it's pretty clear that Takamaru is going to take the spot, unless there are 3 retros.

Last edited:

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
I was thinking about this the other day and I came up with something I think would make most people reasonably happy (key word "most") and also stay true to the most likely rumours.

The existing brawl roster (no cuts) + Villager, Megaman, Wii Fit Trainer, Rosalina & Luma, Little Mac, Palutena, Isaac, King K Rool, Mewtwo, Shulk, Ridley, Mii, Pacman, (Chrom, Chrom & Lucina OR Robin.) [13 newcomers & 1 returning veteran.]

That would be 49 slots which is probably pushing it but I didn't feel comfortable making a cut. I considered 50 reps to round it off but I figured such a decision wouldn't float with a development team (as they have to test each new addition) so I'll leave it at 49.

The above roster is my ideal roster as of now. (in the spirit of trying to keep as many people happy as possible, not necessarily in terms of likelihood)

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
As far as prediction rosters go, making people happy with your roster is not helping Sakurai decide on what he really wants for the roster. If you going to make a prediction roster for the sake of pleasing people, you're doing it wrong.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Lately I've been thinking that I've been underestimating how tall Rosalina is with my past size comparison images. Therefore, I tried doing another size comparison to see if I could get the size comparison to be more accurate.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
So, Sakurai talking about character sizes and all of a sudden everyone is expecting Ridley?

:rolleyes:
It's funny, when people usually quote pictures, they're usually talking about the pictures. Like, how Nintendogs are supermassive in said picture.

I don't know, I'm just crazy right?

Last edited:

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
Good Afternoon all, and yes, I saw the post made by Sakurai today. I'm giggling with optimism right now, so much to the point that I thought I'd make this before I left a comment:

I think we can rejoice in a terrible argument officially pushing up its daisies, what do you think?

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
As far as prediction rosters go, making people happy with your roster is not helping Sakurai decide on what he really wants for the roster. If you going to make a prediction roster for the sake of pleasing people, you're doing it wrong.
Well first of all, none of our predictions are going to help Sakurai decide since he wouldn't understand English. (plus he's long since decided the roster)

What are you doing wrong by pleasing people? I can understand trying to please everyone is foolish and unachievable but I never said that was the point of my roster. Giving people what they didn't know they wanted only works to a certain point...eventually you have to add characters that have been requested or you risk making a game that is out of touch with it's fanbase.

Although I think it helps that the most requested newcomers all offer something new to the game. There's very few I could see being clones. In the roster I posted I don't see a weak link. (Well Chrom seems a bit questionable but the others all have a lot of potential)

Last edited:

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
@ Hotfeet444 Hotfeet444 : I wish that were true. However, some people can be quite ignorant with such quotes in that they'll still beat up dead horses.
Ignorance may be a way to build a safe-haven in one's mind against the blatant facts, but in the end doesn't change the outcome. Besides, it's kind of fun to watch them squirm in their own ignorance. :p

Lolo Lolo

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1693-1660-3630
Switch FC
SW 0891 5407 0511
Good Afternoon all, and yes, I saw the post made by Sakurai today. I'm giggling with optimism right now, so much to the point that I thought I'd make this before I left a comment:

I think we can rejoice in a terrible argument officially pushing up its daisies, what do you think?
I knew you were going to do this video :D
Ridley's going to kill every stupid toobiots who posted a comment under that pic

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings

It was confirmed for pure poppycock many months prior to this.

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
Well first of all, none of our predictions are going to help Sakurai decide since he wouldn't understand English. (plus he's long since decided the roster)

What are you doing wrong by pleasing people? I can understand trying to please everyone is foolish and unachievable but I never said that was the point of my roster. Giving people what they didn't know they wanted only works to a certain point...eventually you have to add characters that have been requested or you risk making a game that is out of touch with it's fanbase.

Although I think it helps that the most requested newcomers all offer something new to the game. There's very few I could see being clones. In the roster I posted I don't see a weak link. (Well Chrom seems a bit questionable but the others all have a lot of potential)
If it's an ideal roster that's fine. But if you guys really think characters like Isaac, Krystal, Ghirahim, and Saki can be all together in a prediction roster, you'll be disappointed. It was not directed towards you though (The rest of the roster is good and Isaac is a fine bonus), you just reminded me of a point that most of people fall for when it comes to prediction rosters.

Last edited:

Tepig2000

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2938-8785-9936
I was thinking about this the other day and I came up with something I think would make most people reasonably happy (key word "most") and also stay true to the most likely rumours.

The existing brawl roster (no cuts) + Villager, Megaman, Wii Fit Trainer, Rosalina & Luma, Little Mac, Palutena, Isaac, King K Rool, Mewtwo, Shulk, Ridley, Mii, Pacman, (Chrom, Chrom & Lucina OR Robin.) [13 newcomers & 1 returning veteran.]

That would be 49 slots which is probably pushing it but I didn't feel comfortable making a cut. I considered 50 reps to round it off but I figured such a decision wouldn't float with a development team (as they have to test each new addition) so I'll leave it at 49.

The above roster is my ideal roster as of now. (in the spirit of trying to keep as many people happy as possible, not necessarily in terms of likelihood)
Ladies and gentlemen, the perfect roster! (Too bad it probably won't happen).

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Here is my prediction roster. Totals at 52, but by slots on the roster, it is 48.

Roster v 1.0 Roster.png

You can replace K.Rool for Dixie or whoever.

I didn't add Takamaru because I can't help but shake the feeling that Little Mac is the retro character based on the consistent references to the Arcade. Plus I could take him or leave him.

Come at me.

MagnesD3

Smash Master
If it's an ideal roster that's fine. But if you guys really think characters like Isaac, Krystal, Ghirahim, and Saki can be all together in a prediction roster, you'll be disappointed. It was not directed towards you though (The rest of the roster is good and Isaac is a fine bonus), you just reminded me of a point that most of people fall for when it comes to prediction rosters.
I think Krystal, Isaac and Saki have a good chance.

Cobalsh

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2578-3430-9913
dead horses.
Is Diddy here? Are we talking about Impa again?
Here is my prediction roster. Totals at 52, but by slots on the roster, it is 48.
View attachment 8835
You can replace K.Rool for Dixie or whoever.
I didn't add Takamaru because I can't help but shake the feeling that Little Mac is the retro character based on the consistent references to the Arcade. Plus I could take him or leave him.
Come at me.
Eh, not bad. Needs moar Bandana Dee.

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
Yeah, Mac is definitely not one of the damn classic characters, you probably did that so you could avoid retros in general. You still need one of them.

Last edited:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Here we go. Lots of hostility in here it seems.

Roster v 1.0 Roster.png

Yeah, Mac is definitely not one of the damn classic characters, you probably did that so you could avoid retros in general. You still need one of them.
...not really. I legitimately got that vibe from his trailer. Sue me.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
No one really does the Captain N alliance either for a family reunion. :urg: (But that pretty unlikely)
I'll just go with my Gameboy family alliance with Muddy Mole and Sable.
My ideal retros are Sable and Duck Hunt Dog.
I really want DHD to happen, but it's pretty clear that Takamaru is going to take the spot, unless there are 3 retros.
I really wish we could have the Captain N reunion in Smash... Pit, Mega Man, and Simon Belmont.

Little Mac isn't exactly the revivable classic character Sakurai is looking for, since you know, it had a new game in 2009. :p
Only ones I could think of that could get a revival are The Mysterious Murasame Castle... and maybe Mole Mania (come on, it uses two screens...)

Last edited by a moderator:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Here's this, because I was bored.
View attachment 8829
Not a prediction, just for funz.
Watch there be a new roster display thread.
It has Yoshimitsu. 158/10.

Only ones I could think of that could get a revival are The Mysterious Murasame Castle... and maybe Mole Mania (come on, it uses two screens...)
What about Mach Rider? That could work. Or that one with the Snowman?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom