• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Weeman

Smash Crusader
You could probably add the amount of dk content and star fox content together and still get less than half of the kid Icarus content
Well i'm no advocate for it etither, but i think it's only natural that Sakurai works better with what he knows best, the fact that he created pretty much an entire universe in KI: Uprising makes him work more comfortably with those elements than with other franchise's.
Biased? sure, but makes sense.

~Krystal~

True American Heroine
Well i'm no advocate for it etither, but i think it's only natural that Sakurai works better with what he knows best, the fact that he created pretty much an entire universe in KI: Uprising makes him work more comfortably with those elements than with other franchise's.
I would understand if it were his first go around, but he's had over 15 years to become acquainted with source material from franchises that are flagship no less. If he's not able to comfortably implement more content from Donkey Kong, Star Fox and such after all this time, what the heck has he been doing?

MagnesD3

Smash Master
I would understand if it were his first go around, but he's had over 15 years to become acquainted with source material from franchises that are flagship no less. If he's not able to comfortably implement more content from Donkey Kong, Star Fox and such after all this time, what the heck has he been doing?
Let's just hope he is secretly doing something right

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
That and it's so much easier to port over Kid Icarus content from Uprising, especially since Sakurai worked on Smash right after he finished Uprising, if not during the last phases of Uprising's development.

Sure, DK should get more content, but the Kid Icarus comparison doesn't work because of how much easier it is to add the content from Uprising.

Besides, the real series that always get shunned in Smash is Wario Land.

CJ Falcon

Smash Lord
Cranky is boring, whit Chunky and even Lanky the developers could make easily a move set.

his arms reach would probably be over powered on a 2D fighting game unless they make him have awful priority.
Lanky would be awesome. We've never had a Dhalsim-esque fighter in Smash.

Propeller Toad

Smash Journeyman
Let's just say that Donkey Kong's "barrel" in this Smash Bros. is rather barren at the moment...

It's a shame, the DKC has so much potential for enemies (especially with the recent revival too)..

Last edited:

MagnesD3

Smash Master
Cranky is boring, whit Chunky and even Lanky the developers could make easily a move set.

his arms reach would probably be over powered on a 2D fighting game unless they make him have awful priority.
Nah cranky would be hilarious, he would have a really unique Moveset around his pogo, also he is the original donkey kong so he kinda deserves it, he makes for a great dk rep and history piece (after krool and Dixie of course..)

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Hear, Hear!

There wasn't even a Captain Syrup trophy in Brawl. Why is one of the best 2D platformers getting shunned so hard? :crying:
Sakurai is giving Wario Land the coldest cold shoulder and I don't know why.

I want a stage, not a victory jingle!

~Krystal~

True American Heroine

And with his grape shooter plus trombone, he would be godlike. I want this. An overpowered, annoying Kong that no one can stop. Yes.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I could actually get behind Cranky Kong. Due to the fact that he was the original DK. (Heck, maybe he could even get an Alt.Costume of his golden years?)
So, cane and barrel tossing would be part of his moves. And why stop there, lighting barrels on fire would be a nice touch too.
I'd actually prefer him over K.Rool. But not as much as Dixie

-
As for biggest shunned series in Smash, StarTropics takes the cake. The only reference to it was in the Chronicles section, and that was most likely NOA's doing. Wishing for a mere trophy is a lot of wishful thinking when it comes to ST. That's all I really want. A Michael Jones trophy.

Last edited:

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Well when I say shunned series I was thinking along the lines of ones that are actually well known.

Otherwise it's probably some super obscure series...Mole Mania? Did it even get mentioned in the Chronicles?

Last edited:

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Well when I say shunned series I was thinking along the lines of ones that are actually well known.

Otherwise it's probably some super obscure series...Mole Mania? Did it even get mentioned in the Chronicles?
It got a sticker at least, if I recall correctly :p

Ah I see. Well in that case Warioland definitely, but that's only because they went 100% for Warioware representation. Which is a shame.
From the well known ones, it's the only one with a complete lack of representation. I'd add Yoshi, but sometimes it's hard for me to draw the line of where Mario stops and Yoshi begins.

CodeBlue_

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-2347-7011-5339
Oh god a Super Smash Bros. Uprising discussion, no thanks.

To all of those who are freaking out, please remove all of the Smash Run enemies from that image @ CJ Falcon CJ Falcon posted. 80% of the Uprising enemies are practically Emissary enemies.

I seriously don't think a series' rep should be evaluated the amount of enemies in one mode for the 3ds game that is supposed to be based on Kirby Air Ride.

This nostalgia hysteria needs to stop. Take your frustrations about DK representation somewhere else.

CJ Falcon

Smash Lord
Oh god a Super Smash Bros. Uprising discussion, no thanks.

To all of those who are freaking out, please remove all of the Smash Run enemies from that image @ CJ Falcon CJ Falcon posted. 80% of the Uprising enemies are practically Emissary enemies.

I seriously don't think a series' rep should be evaluated the amount of enemies in one mode for the 3ds game that is supposed to be based on Kirby Air Ride.

This nostalgia hysteria needs to stop. Take your frustrations about DK representation somewhere else.
Ok, take out all the Smash Run enemies and what are we left with?
-1 new playable character
-2 NEW assist trophies
-2 NEW stages
-6 NEW items
-another character appearing on the battlefield in some way
As opposed to:
-0 new playable characters
-0 assist trophies, never even were any ones to be reused
-1 stage, 0 new
-3 items, all 3 of which could be considered Mario items, 0 new

Sure, we haven't seen all that the game has to offer yet, but we can realistically assume that what we've already seen is what we're gonna get, with maybe a few minor things added here and there.

Take your frustrations elsewhere. This uneven representation needs to stop. Especially when the more popular series gets the short end of the stick. Don't try to talk about nostalgia, boy.

Last edited:

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
-2 NEW assist trophies
-2 NEW stages
-6 NEW items
As opposed to:
-1 stage, 0 new
-3 items, 0 new

Take your frustrations elsewhere. This uneven representation needs to stop. Especially when the more popular series gets the short end of the stick. Don't try to talk about nostalgia, boy.
While I can understand the overwhelming representation for KI, I agree it is inexcusable.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Sorry guys. Kid Icarus is first priority over everything.
Monday's PotD:
Happy Monday everyone! I was watching my cat on some nip, and had the great idea to allow all of my fans to, for a moment, feel such joy themselves. I thought the best way would be to... announce five completely new, original characters! I was close to adding some silly-request characters, when I asked myself, 'what does the consumer really want?' I put myself in their shoes, and am proud today to announce the following characters:

1-Medusa

2-Dark Pit

3-Hades

4-Viridi

5-Team MonoFlyingEye Things
Tueday's PotD:
In addition to the characters I mentioned yesterday, I am happy to announce that we will finally be revealing the official title of Super Smash Bros for 3DS. We have so far been using that title as a placeholder for the actual name, and it gives me much joy to announce to you all, coming Octotober 3, 2014, prepare yourselves for;

Kid Icarus and Friends: Smash Against the Underworld.
Wednesday's PotD:
Development time has proven to be a bit of a dilemma.
For those of you that do not know, a game goes gold when it is finished the debugging process, is printed, and shipped off to stores! We were just about to put Super Smash Bros for 3DS in this category when I realized that Dark Pit was having some balancing issues with the following short list of characters (Bowser, Peach, Yoshi, Captain Falcon, Pikachu, Lucario, Toon Link, Link, Zelda, Sheik, Samus, Zero Suit Samus, Sonic, Mega Man, Pacman, Ike, Marth, Robin, Charizard, Mario, Luigi, Rosalina, Olimar, Fox, Donkey Kong, Diddy, Wii Fit Trainer, Villager, Greninja, and Meta Knight.)

We sat down to prioritize, and came to the conclusion that, our only option is to cut those characters. Apologies to any fans hurt by this difficult decision.

Last edited:

~Krystal~

True American Heroine
Monday's PotD:

Tueday's PotD:

Wednesday's PotD:
/wrists

Sakurai's a troll even when he doesn't mean to be. He's just so in love with his own creations. Is he biased? Obviously! It's part of human nature and games will inherit the biases of their directors regardless, but it would still be nice to see the attention spread a little more evenly in one about Nintendo history and its all stars. It's ONLY LOGICAL!!!!

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
/wrists

Sakurai's a troll even when he doesn't mean to be. He's just so in love with his own creations. Is he biased? Obviously! It's part of human nature and games will inherit the biases of their directors regardless, but it would still be nice to see the attention spread a little more evenly in one about Nintendo history and its all stars. It's ONLY LOGICAL!!!!
It's because. . . . .
He's saving the best for last. . .for WiiU's SSB5.:shades: I'm eggspecting the biggest & best around.:4yoshi:

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
What DK actually needs in terms of representation is some arcade nods besides some items and one crappy stage.

DK94 is one of the best games and I don't think it ever gets a mention in Smash. Alternatively, I'll take DK Jr with a gymnastics moveset.

Last edited:

cybersai

Smash Ace
Wasn't Dixie Kong supposed to be in Brawl with people finding files for her? If so I don't see why she wouldn't be in this game.

CodeBlue_

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-2347-7011-5339
-2 NEW assist trophies
-2 NEW stages
-6 NEW items
As opposed to:
-1 stage, 0 new
-3 items, 0 new

Sure, we haven't seen all that the game has to offer yet, but we can realistically assume that what we've already seen is what we're gonna get, with maybe a few minor things added here and there.

I think I have to stress this before I start. THE GAMES HAVE NOT BEEN RELEASED. We should be getting another Donkey Kong stage, and there is good chance we could get another Donkey Kong character. Freak out when all of the content is released for both games. We aren't seeing what we are going to get. We have hardly seen anything. Not even a new Kirby or Donkey Kong stage.

Next, name more than 2 Donkey Kong games that have breaked over 2 million in Japan. Remember where Sakurai is working at. Japan. Getting worked because a developer isn't paying attention to a series you like, but rather a series he has made, comes off as irrational.

I also don't get your argument about new content. Kid Icarus Uprising is a new game, why wouldn't they add content from that game? I personally do not see any new items and assist trophies that would be reasonable enough to be considered by Sakurai anyway. If you want to state those in a reply please do so.

IN CONCLUSION: Stop blaming the Kid Icarus series for your perceived injustice against the series you are a fan of. This is really ****ing annoying that I have to consistently hear other fanbases (I expected a more mature community from the Donkey Kong fanbase) bashing on a game that I like.

This isn't really about series representation or even about Sakurai's bias towards a game he made. This is a case of scapegoating a franchise to vent your salt about something that may or may not be true everywhere. And I'm sick of it.

Last edited:

CJ Falcon

Smash Lord
I think I have to stress this before I start. THE GAMES HAVE NOT BEEN RELEASED. We should be getting another Donkey Kong stage, and there is good chance we could get another Donkey Kong character. Freak out when all of the content is released for both games. We aren't seeing what we are going to get. We have hardly seen anything. Not even a new Kirby or Donkey Kong stage.

Next, name more than 2 Donkey Kong games that have breaked over 2 million in Japan. Remember where Sakurai is working at. Japan. Getting worked because a developer isn't paying attention to a series you like, but rather a series he has made, comes off as irrational.

I also don't get your argument about new content. Kid Icarus Uprising is a new game, why wouldn't they add content from that game? I personally do not see any new items and assist trophies that would be reasonable enough to be considered by Sakurai anyway. If you want to state those in a reply please do so.

IN CONCLUSION: Stop blaming the Kid Icarus series for your perceived injustice against the series you are a fan of. This is really ****ing annoying that I have to consistently hear other fanbases (I expected a more mature community from the Donkey Kong fanbase) bashing on a game that I like.

This isn't really about series representation or even about Sakurai's bias towards a game he made. This is a case of scapegoating a franchise to vent your salt about something that may or may not be true everywhere. And I'm sick of it.
Don't be so angry over something so trivial. I may be upset, but I'm not raging and trying to make people mad. I just want what I and other fans clearly deserve and it pains me to see something else getting stuff that it doesn't deserve while what I want isn't cared about.

CodeBlue_

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-2347-7011-5339
Don't be so angry over something so trivial. I may be upset, but I'm not raging and trying to make people mad. I just want what I and other fans clearly deserve and it pains me to see something else getting stuff that it doesn't deserve while what I want isn't cared about.
Then stop complaining about it. I find it laughably easy to bash the Uprising fanbase (nobody cares for the original, it is a recognized as Ice Climber) because of how miniscule our community is.

I remember reading a post in the unpopular opinion thread completely ******ing on Uprising. It called it overrated, criticized its dialogue for not being up to their standard of humor and also completely shot down the voice actors for the North American version of the game.

Nobody goes to appreciate a game that is practically as small in the U.S. as the Pikmin franchise. Nobody played it.

This argument always tends to be the DK/Star Fox/Metroid fanbases vs. Kid Icarus Uprising fanbase. I wonder which one wins.

Sure, complain about how your series isn't getting the respect it deserves. You guys are miles more popular than our fanbase. But don't scapegoat the series just Sakurai is putting whatever form of bias he feels like in the game. It's not our fault Sakurai is implementing useless items like the Back Shield and Killer Eye as well as useless enemies like the Lethinium, Megonta and Flage in the game.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
I was gonna put a silly straw man here, but it'll just end up in a heated argument.

I think you're being particularly demanding over series representation and such. Really, does it mean much? Nevermind just DKC, I'm not exactly happy about DK's representation as a whole (ESPECIALLY the arcade side), but I don't think it's such a big deal. Wario Land is my favorite series, and while I didn't like its lack of rep in Brawl, I just moved on, and I'll move on if it doesn't get any representation again. I honestly don't get why people get so worked up over representation in Smash as if it's like being granted a privilege or something. Personally, DK is all the DKC representation I need, everything else is extra, and I'm not exactly desperate for ANY other content in Smash now that Wario got in since Brawl.

Last edited:

CJ Falcon

Smash Lord
Then stop complaining about it. I find it laughably easy to bash the Uprising fanbase (nobody cares for the original, it is a recognized as Ice Climber) because of how miniscule our community is.

I remember reading a post in the unpopular opinion thread completely ******ing on Uprising. It called it overrated, criticized its dialogue for not being up to their standard of humor and also completely shot down the voice actors for the North American version of the game.

Nobody goes to appreciate a game that is practically as small in the U.S. as the Pikmin franchise. Nobody played it.

This argument always tends to be the DK/Star Fox/Metroid fanbases vs. Kid Icarus Uprising fanbase. I wonder which one wins.

Sure, complain about how your series isn't getting the respect it deserves. You guys are miles more popular than our fanbase. But don't scapegoat the series just Sakurai is putting whatever form of bias he feels like in the game. It's not our fault Sakurai is implementing useless items like the Back Shield and Killer Eye as well as useless enemies like the Lethinium, Megonta and Flage in the game.
Well, too bad because I'm still scapegoating the series. You can't deny Sakurai's bias. And truth be told, I don't like Kid Icarus. Not the first game, not the new one. That being said, I don't particularly think they're bad games.

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311

Well, I hope that your post where you made the exact same incessant rants you accused others of, in one thread, against the masses of smash society, helps you.

In general in the world, there will be a lot you may find you dislike. I doubt sitting down and screaming at it will do any more but get you frustrated. I suppose the most you can hope for their is to be broken by the frustration, find it hilarious, and laugh it.

Last edited:

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
Nah, i'm just joking guys.
Ahh. . .you've been adulting eh. Well damndify festicus.

Nester's bowling ball move-set is something I'm down for. But i'm sure :4villager: killed him & took his bowling ball from him.:scared:
Edit: Just like he did in Balloon Fighter stealing the balloons, & then killed Jiggly deflating her too.:scared:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom