• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
I'm genially surprised that people are this crazy enough to believe a 'leak' without looking at the facts

-Roster isn't line up with their respective series
I know Brawl did this earlier but only when the characters aren't 100% unlocked but didn't look this discombobulated

-Characters
I can suspend my belief for Duck Hunt Dog but Dark Pit and FREAKING Dr. Mario. Maybe DP, but Doc has zero chance when he was axed out from Brawl and there's no point adding him in as a separate character AGAIN this day in age when Sakurai can just make an Alternate costume for him

-DLC
Ice Climbers, veterans since Melee, should never be regulated to DLC.

And why is this riding Gemastu's coat tails right after Robin killed any chance of this leak being credible. And last, and most importantly.

If this was supposedly came from Japan, WHY ISNT BOWSER'S NAMED AS KOOPA, HIS JAPANESE NAME, WHY IS IT HIS US NAME OR CAN THE LEAKER EXPLAIN THAT, SOMEBODY ANSWER ME THAT?

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
The leak is fake until proven real for me. The Palutena leak taught me that even the most convincing of leaks can still be fake. If it's real, I'm not too thrilled about it.

PurpleSpaceDragon

Smash Journeyman
This leak is fake simply because of what Sakurai said about not wanting to cut characters, and stressing out to the point of death over it.

So, Sakurai says he wants as few cuts as possible, then goes ahead and cuts Ice Climbers, Wolf, Lucas, and Snake?

People will open their Smash 3DS box, play through the game, and then think the above characters are gone. The vast majority of players wouldn't know DLC is coming, assuming that part of the leak is true. All these cut Veterans will upset said players. Sakurai, it is known, wants nothing more than to avoid player disappointment.

And Wolf and Lucas as DLC is the absolutely dumbest thing I've ever heard. They're both two of the easiest characters to program. I can understand Ice Climbers as DLC because of 3DS tech issues needing be worked out, but Wolf and Lucas? Please.

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
I'm more excited for this private YT Nintendo Direct.:denzel:
<No longer amused with the leak(s).

Edit: *dipping ice cream again*

Last edited:

TylerBlackRunIt

I'm from YouTube
3DS FC
2509-3601-8302
Here is the load so far
The clone placement is really weird, and Yoshi coming smack in the middle of the Mario series characters is off as well. Still, it could be that not everyone is unlocked yet in that image. In Melee, Pikachu was in Luigi's final spot until Luigi got unlocked. Perhaps that's also the case here, where more characters take the place of the ones that are placed oddly.

Morbi

Scavenger
I'm genially surprised that people are this crazy enough to believe a 'leak' without looking at the facts

-Roster isn't line up with their respective series
I know Brawl did this earlier but only when the characters aren't 100% unlocked but didn't look this discombobulated

-Characters
I can suspend my belief for Duck Hunt Dog but Dark Pit and FREAKING Dr. Mario. Maybe DP, but Doc has zero chance when he was axed out from Brawl and there's no point adding him in as a separate character AGAIN this day in age when Sakurai can just make an Alternate costume for him

-DLC
Ice Climbers, veterans since Melee, should never be regulated to DLC.

And why is this riding Gemastu's coat tails right after Robin killed any chance of this leak being credible. And last, and most importantly.

If this was supposedly came from Japan, WHY ISNT BOWSER'S NAMED AS KOOPA, HIS JAPANESE NAME, WHY IS IT HIS US NAME OR CAN THE LEAKER EXPLAIN THAT, SOMEBODY ANSWER ME THAT?
Actually, there is a reason to include Dr. Mario as anything but an alternate costume... one that Sakurai blatantly asserts for our benefit.

However, even though Lucina shares her physical stats and techniques with Marth, the characteristics of their attacks differ. When two such similar characters function in an even slightly different manner, I give them a separate spot on the roster since that will affect battle records and whatnot. In that sense, you could say she was very lucky to join the fray!

Yum, that zero percent chance is so... delectable.

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
Could someone explain to me how this 'private' Nintendo Direct is actually Hyrule Warriors?
I clicked on TTT's link, then I took the portion of the private youtube video's ID being "gdbgCFZRab8", copy pasted it into one of the example links down below:

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/FkTSUqPqsGE/1.jpg
Replace the "FkTsUqPqsGE" with the ID from the private video = gdbgCFZRab8 & viola, you get a thumbnail / image of Hyrule Warrior action.
Technically :4greninja:'d

Last edited:

NickerBocker

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2492-4251-5054
Actually, there is a reason to include Dr. Mario as anything but an alternate costume... one that Sakurai blatantly asserts for our benefit.

However, even though Lucina shares her physical stats and techniques with Marth, the characteristics of their attacks differ. When two such similar characters function in an even slightly different manner, I give them a separate spot on the roster since that will affect battle records and whatnot. In that sense, you could say she was very lucky to join the fray!
That is assuming that Doc Mario does function differently than regular Mario...

He did in melee, but will he in this one, outside of an aesthetic change? I mean, it even says Lucina was lucky to be her own slot, so if Doc Mario and even DP get their own slot, is it really all that lucky?

Last edited:

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
@ NickerBocker NickerBocker Personally I liked the inclusion of Dr. Mario in the leaks. Hope he returns with his stronger scaling falling N-air element like he did in Melee. But he still should be an alt costume 'Muricah Muh Pills.

Last edited:

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
I love Dr. Mario. I loved him in Melee. I still love playing as him. He, however, was unneeded in the first place in my opinion.

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
Which is why Dr. Mario has the potential to barely hold his own slot among the 4th installment of Smash Brothers.
1. He gets Lucina treatment & gets slightly different hit-box / knock-back with pills.
2. He's completely identical to Mario & is just an alternate costume which is what I see just as likely as.

Last edited:

NickerBocker

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2492-4251-5054
@ NickerBocker NickerBocker Personally I liked the inclusion of Dr. Mario in the leaks. Hope he returns with his stronger scaling falling N-air element like he did in Melee. But he still should be an alt costume 'Muricah Muh Pills.
I love Dr. Mario. I loved him in Melee. I still love playing as him. He, however, was unneeded in the first place in my opinion.
I like Dr. Mario as well, I just don't think he was necessary in the first place.

However, he would be, IMO, a prime candidate for an alt. Mario costume.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
I "needed" him to be able to enjoy Mario. The notion is subjective, of course... but Brawl felt severely lacking without him.
My problem wasn't that Doc was gone, my problem was that Mario was severely nerfed with the new mechanics. I was hoping they'd mix the two playstyles a bit, bringing what was better from each of their moveset and implementing them into Mario.

However, if Dr. Mario really is returning, I'd gladly play as him over Mario.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
What constitutes a necessary character?
I don't think Rosalina, Greninja, Little Mac, Robin, Pac-Man, ect. are "necessary" but I would seriously displeased if they weren't here.

As far as merit goes, Dr. Mario does represent an entire franchise of puzzle games, so that is something.

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
Different alternate costumes could come with different or altered taunts. . right? Or would they even get that far?

Edit: Seems like a bit more effort into tiny details, but fanservice has gotten the 'tiny' details implemented so. . .yeah

Last edited:

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
What constitutes a necessary character?
I don't think Rosalina, Greninja, Little Mac, Robin, Pac-Man, ect. are "necessary" but I would seriously displeased if they weren't here.

As far as merit goes, Dr. Mario does represent an entire franchise of puzzle games, so that is something.
I agree with the list you have, however, Dr. Mario seemed to be a bit of an odd ball character to pick. This is mostly due to my lack of knowledge of Dr. Mario back in the day. I use to think it was just Mario in a doctor's outfit. . . Which he is, but I never knew he had a series until I unlocked him and read up about his origins. I still think he was and is unnecessary, but that doesn't or shouldn't(as we saw in Melee) prevent him from being in Smash.

Last edited:

NeonBurrito

Smash Ace

Let's look at everything that makes this fake (as if they hadn't been stated before):
  • Yoshi in between Bowser and Rosalina. Yoshi is once again in his own franchise, as stated on the site.
  • Game and Watch and Wario seem to be having some bonding time.
  • Dr. Mario, Dark Pit, and Lucina being separated from their franchises. Even Melee put clones next to their franchises.
  • No Ice Climbers
  • All of that gray.
  • Having the Miis not be on the character select screen is stupid.
Now, personal reasons why this leak sucks:
  • 7 Mario characters (2 newcomers and a clone)
  • No DK newcomers
  • No Zelda newcomers
  • No Metroid newcomers
  • Star Fox, Metroid, and Donkey Kong (three of Nintendo's biggest franchises) have less characters than Kid Icarus. Think about that.
  • No :mewtwopm:
  • No :lucas:
  • No :popo: (I know I said this before)
  • Why bring Dr. Mario back and cut Lucas + Wolf?
  • :drmario:
  • Dark Pit
  • I only got 1/5 of the characters I wanted :crying: (being :jigglypuff:)

This leak is so fake it hurts. If you truly have the game, at least show off some character models.

FallofBrawl

Smash Ace
I think it may be real..just not all of the characters are unlocked yet, that's why the ordering if the slots is so yucky.
With, what looks like, 6 slots remaining. I think it'll be
- Ridley
-K. Rool
-Mewtwo
-Ghirahim/Impa(all of my yes)
-Krystal? ew
-B.Dee??
And with all the acclaimed DLC, a pretty solid roster
As for the character DLC's, all of them make no sense except Ice Climbers..maybe they ran out of time? But there's no SSE...
As for now I call fake, until I get gameplay footage.
Edit: I can't even make up my mind because of the awesome DHD and the horrendous DP

Last edited:

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
As far as the leaks go, veterans getting cut is no surprise to me. It's 'fake' unless a veteran reveal or a trailer with the exact characters in the leak makes it true & just. Bottom line is, I was expecting cuts, just wasn't ready to actually see the cuts come to a leak like this, making it a bit shocking.

Last edited:

G0LD3N L0TUS

Smash Lord
NNID
G0LD3N_L0TUS
3DS FC
3007-8158-6601
The leak has been shown as fake for countless different reasons. Can't we move on? I mean, beating it to a bloody pulp was fun an all, but the novelty has worn off.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
All of the reasons you're all using don't make it fake. Just saying.

Just wait for a character to get revealed. That will prove or disprove it based on the art/role in the game. For example, if Wario has different character art or DHD ends up an AT.

Pizzanigs

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Pizzanigs

Look at the bottom screen of the CSS in this video. Don't be so quick to dismiss the leak because of that.

Oh, and I should clarify, I don't actually believe the leak, just pointing out that people are looking for too many reasons to disprove it before doing their research.

Last edited:

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
Ah, leak talk here to.
I first have to start out by saying that I thought the brawl roster was amazing. To essentially have all of them return except Ivysaur and Squirtle would be amazing to me.

Second, I like a majority of the newcomers. The ones I don't like I am just not interested in.

So really, this is going to be another excellent roster to me. A good number of the newcomers have original and unique move sets. While the clone characters are popular and clone-y enough to beef up the roster without really getting in the way.

Sure, some of my most wanted didn't get in, but in it's place I got beautifully designed characters. I'm more then happy if this is the result.

I'm leaning towards real btw.

TitanTeaTime

Smash Lord
NNID
TitanTeaTime
3DS FC
2165-6601-4781

Look at the bottom screen of the CSS in this video. Don't be so quick to dismiss the leak because of that.
I see lines that have equal height there. Besides, there are a lot more reasons for it to be fake than just that, but the killer is that ESRB stuff. Another is the lack of the names, which doesn't make sense cause the boxes are about the same size as if they did have the names... You know what, I'll let this video do the talking.
plus you know it's from 4chan there have never been any legit leaks from there

Last edited:

Pizzanigs

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Pizzanigs
I see lines that have equal height there. Besides, there are a lot more reasons for it to be fake than just that, but the killer is that ESRB stuff. Another is the lack of the names, which doesn't make sense cause the boxes are about the same size as if they did have the names... You know what, I'll let this video do the talking.
plus you know it's from 4chan there have never been any legit leaks from there
I wasn't actually talking about the unequal lines. I was referring to the gif comparing the two pictures of the touchscreen.

ElPanandero

Smash Lord
NNID
ElPanandero
Random thought, if Bowser Junior is in his clown car all the time, why not just give his porky or whomever that Mother Kid in the spider mech is? I don't even like Mother but I always hear "mech iz too big" as his counter argument...is the clown car that much smaller?

Morbi

Scavenger
Random thought, if Bowser Junior is in his clown car all the time, why not just give his porky or whomever that Mother Kid in the spider mech is? I don't even like Mother but I always hear "mech iz too big" as his counter argument...is the clown car that much smaller?
I am not sure about Porky; however, the Clown Car is actually quite small from what I could gather.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Well, in the fan-game "Smash Bros Crusade" it looks like this.

Pretty good size. Of the original characters made for the game, he is by far the move well-put together.
And then there's the original...

Pretty much exactly the same. Definitely feasible for Smash.
And here's another Mech (the one from Earthbound)

This one looks less feasible, honestly. This one looks more archaic and fitted for an Assist Trophy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom