• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doopliss_Swe

Smash Journeyman
But it looks like reality went screw it and somehow meshed the top and bottom of the 3DS screen together.
It's possible that whoever made the video for the ESRB manually put the top and bottom screenshots together for every slide. What really confuses me is the fact that the square to the right of random is seemingly transparent.

kirby_queen

Smash Lord
My most wanted new comer is Bandana Dee or Magolor for Kirby

For the other franchises, I'd be happy with whatever I guess.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Ness's shirt, from the clay-style official art for earthbound, and in all 3 previous models for Smash, has had a small 5th yellow stripe visible (because of it not being fully tucked in to his shorts). This was absent in the "leak." Someone went more in depth at like the end of page 1322. Give him the credit.
So going off of that, what reason could they possibly have for changing that design? That would be breaking from Smash tradition and make Ness less faithful to his original design. Not to mention, with the extreme attention to detail this game clearly has, I find it hard to believe that they would just not care about something like this.

With all that in mind, I believe that there are two conclusions we can draw from this:

1.) The leak is real, and Sakurai apparently decided to stray from Ness's original design that he's had in every single Smash game to date, for some unexplainable reason.

2.) The "leak" is fake, and the detail on Ness's shirt was something the "leaker" overlooked.

I don't know about you, but I find #2 to be the much more likely scenario.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
Guys... why would the Yoshi franchise be in between the Mario franchise....

If this does happen to be real, I am really going to be asking some qiestions. This would be ridiculous.

Morbi

Scavenger
So going off of that, what reason could they possibly have for changing that design? That would be breaking from Smash tradition and make Ness less faithful to his original design. Not to mention, with the extreme attention to detail this game clearly has, I find it hard to believe that they would just not care about something like this.

With all that in mind, I believe that there are two conclusions we can draw from this:

1.) The leak is real, and Sakurai apparently decided to stray from Ness's original design that he's had in every single Smash game to date, for some unexplainable reason.

2.) The "leak" is fake, and the detail on Ness's shirt was something the "leaker" overlooked.

Honestly, I do not necessarily believe that an argument pertaining to an arbitrary pattern should elicit an "either or fallacy" regarding Sakurai's design choices. I vote for option three... the design is different despite tradition. This neither confirms or refutes the leak. In fact, I hardly believe it is relevant.

However, nothing else objective contests the leak... so I suppose the straw grasping was inevitable.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
wait, I'm not sure if the leak is fake or not (it very well could be real) but...

what I want to know is if it's supposed to be the full roster or not.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
I would be happy to! These are my most wanted newcomers, they are not necessarily the characters that I deem likely. As you can see... Dark Pit is the only one that has feasible evidence in his favor. That is precisely why I am so adamant about his inclusion. Waluigi would have been on the list prior to his confirmation as a reoccurring assist trophy.

1. Dark Pit
2. Black Shadow
3. Hades
4. Classic Ganon
5. Medusa

Honorable Mentions
1. Mewtwo
2. Ridley

Prerequisite to get on my list: be a purple antagonist. Robin was also on this list prior to her inclusion.
Quite the Kid Icarus fan eh? I just borrowed Uprising from a friend the other day and started playing it, absolutely loving it so far, so I respect Kid Icarus love. I'd personally have Hades and Medusa before Dark Pit (I mean they just look awesome first of all), but I'm all for more reps from Kid Icarus the more and more I think about it. Hell you're the one who sold me on Dark Pit in truth. I regret putting him as a least anticipated newcomer at some point (Still not my first choice, but I do support him now) .And of course Ridley and Mewtwo are two of my most desperately wanted characters, so hats off for at least getting the honorable mentions. No love for K. Rool though? :smirk:

Also funny you mention Waluigi. I had been fine with him being deconfirmed and the other day I realized I was actually pissed about him being deconfirmed. Out of the blue, nothing sparked it, just suddenly did a complete 180 and realized I was somewhat frustrated he wasn't playable. I didn't even know that was possible for me to do with Smash characters...

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
wait, I'm not sure if the leak is fake or not (it very well could be real) but...

what I want to know is if it's supposed to be the full roster or not.
Including Wolf, Lucas, Snake, Ice Climbers, and Chorus Men as DLC. Then yes, it is the full roster.

Burruni

Smash Hero

Just to say, if you look at you own signature line of characters, you can see just a hint of that yellow stripe in the bottom left of his shirt. It's a very small thing, but it's a clear detail. It's like Lucina's brand in her right eye if her lineage didn't need it to be proven. Considering DK can have 40 trillion strands of hair to look fluffy beyond belief, why skip out on that quirky little part of his design?

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
If this is real (and I'm certain it is), we even got two new villains!

...just not the two that most people were wanting...

(seriously though, I welcome Bowser Jr. with open arms and Dark Pit is okay in my eyes)

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Including Wolf, Lucas, Snake, Ice Climbers, and Chorus Men as DLC. Then yes, it is the full roster.
I have to question why those characters would be DLC and not part of the initial roster, especially considering most of those are Brawl veterans.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
I have to question why those characters would be DLC and not part of the initial roster, especially considering most of those are Brawl veterans.
Time constraints? But that doesn't make sense to me as Subspace is not in this game anymore.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
According to?
This 'Illuminati' group in charge of the leak thread I only just found out about?

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
This.
Making all the veterans unlockable is one thing, making them paid DLC is asinine.
If the only characters they had to offer for DLC were Brawl veterans, they would have delayed the game to put them on the initial roster.

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion

Alternately, they were 'low priority', and will be finished after the game's release.

(seriously though, I welcome Bowser Jr. with open arms and Dark Pit is okay in my eyes)
Jr. is fine. I wanted him to begin with. Dark Pit is the number one reason I'm upset. So if having the most enemies in Smash Run, a bajillion new items, and a newcomer to put it on par with Metroid and over F-Zero in terms of characters wasn't enough, it has to have one newcomer. I'm sorry, but if we've really gotten to the point where Mewtwo is gone for good, but Dr. Mario and Dakr Pit are A-okay, I don't really trust Sakurai with the inevitable SSB5.

Morbi

Scavenger
I do have a question regarding this, how does the alleged leaker know which characters are DLC? Is that just a presumption on our end or did he literally assert that those were the five characters?

MYU2

Smash Apprentice
Why would the Ice Climbers get cut? Due to technical difficulties? Probably. But if that's the case why would they become DLC?

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209

Alternately, they were 'low priority', and will be finished after the game's release.
That's a possibility.

But that would also mean that the likes of Dr. Mario were "high priority."

Morbi

Scavenger
That's a possibility.

But that would also mean that the likes of Dr. Mario were "high priority."
After being cut from Brawl, Sakurai decide to increase the priority of our favorite Melee veteran Mewtwo Dr. Mario. :cool:

But seriously, if Dr. Mario is a clone in the same vein as Lucina, I highly doubt he was an increased priority character. He was, more likely than not, intended to be an alternate costume. However, something changed in development and he decided to pad the roster, Dr. Mario works because of "muh pills."

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Apparently that's Wario's shoulder.
But with the "leak" coming from 4chan, I'm surprised we're still talking about this
I'm more concerned about Wario's left eye. Is his pupil being obscured by his nose? Because as it is, his eye looks pretty lifeless and creepy.

Interesting choice for an "official" render...

Zynux

Smash Lord
So, assuming this is the roster, I find it bizarre that they would throw Wolf, Lucas, Ice Climbers and Snake to DLC for derivatives such as Dark Pit, Dr. Mario, Lucina, and Mii Fighters. I personally find that to be a hilariously terrible decision. But, at least they're still DLC.

Overall, I find the roster meh. Megaman, Little Mac, Rosalina, Robin, and Villager offer more interesting playstyles to Smash, while I find the rest to be largely uninspired and lacking playstyles (I was especially disappointed with Palutena, to the point where now I actually wish Medusa was in instead since she probably would have offered more to the game).

So, what about that thing with Ness's shirt design? Is that not a clear indication that this leak may be fake?
I do find it bizarre that such a detail would all of a sudden be ignored in this iteration. I don't think fan theories like "well, they just changed it" is enough to pass it over.

However, nothing else objective contests the leak... so I suppose the straw grasping was inevitable.
I find this leak to be pretty plausible, nor I am really against it (I mean, my expectations were low from the start so this is right up my alley) but I find it pretty irritating that when any sort of point is put against the leak, whether it's big or small, it's automatically considered "straw-grasping." :rolleyes:

This is Gematsu all over again. Funny too, since many the people who religiously defend this leak now are doing the same things that the Gematsu defenders did. It would be wise for people on both sides to not be so hasty. :glare:

MYU2

Smash Apprentice
Just looked at gamefaqs and found a plausible theory. They said that Shulk looks like a heavily photoshopped Little Mac, someone should do a side by side comparison

TitanTeaTime

Smash Lord
NNID
TitanTeaTime
3DS FC
2165-6601-4781
You know what, I'll be convinced by the leak under 1 of 3 conditions.
  1. They show an absolutely flawless, infallible IN GAME MODEL. All we've seen of the characters are what we are apparently supposed to believe to be the character's art. If they have the game, they should be able to show something significantly more substantial.
  2. A character on there is revealed and the art matches up
  3. The game releases on September 13th and that is the roster

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
So, assuming this is the roster, I find it bizarre that they would throw Wolf, Lucas, Ice Climbers and Snake to DLC for derivatives such as Dark Pit, Dr. Mario, Lucina, and Mii Fighters. I personally find that to be a hilariously terrible decision. But, at least they're still DLC.

Overall, I find the roster meh. Megaman, Little Mac, Rosalina, Robin, and Villager offer more interesting playstyles to Smash, while I find the rest to be largely uninspired and lacking playstyles (I was especially disappointed with Palutena, to the point where now I actually wish Medusa was in instead since she probably would have offered more to the game).

I do find it bizarre that such a detail would all of a sudden be ignored in this iteration. I don't think fan theories like "well, they just changed it" is enough to pass it over.

I find this leak to be pretty plausible, nor I am really against it (I mean, my expectations were low from the start so this is right up my alley) but I find it pretty irritating that when any sort of point is put against the leak, whether it's big or small, it's automatically considered "straw-grasping." :rolleyes:

This is Gematsu all over again. Funny too, since many the people who religiously defend this leak now are doing the same things that the Gematsu defenders did. It would be wise for people on both sides to not be so hasty. :glare:
I am not sure why you are using my post as an example. False could not objectively refute the leak, therefore he only served to point out one additional inconsistency (there are a plethora of them); HOWEVER, that was not why I pulled out the "straw grasp" card. I pulled out that card because he turned the entire scenario into an either or fallacy and insinuated that the one inconsistency he found proves the leak to be false (pun not intended).

Last edited:

NickerBocker

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2492-4251-5054
You know what, I'll be convinced by the leak under 1 of 3 conditions.
  1. They show an absolutely flawless, infallible IN GAME MODEL. All we've seen of the character are what we are apparently supposed to believe to be the character's art. If they have the game, they should be able to show something significantly more substantial.
  2. A character on there is revealed and the art matches up
  3. The game releases on September 13th and that is the roster
This. All day.

If this person has a copy of the game, an in game model would really show some credit. Seriously, a couple of photos of Ness, Wario, hell even Bowser Junior doing an attack would help the credibility. If they have a copy of the game it wouldnt take much more effort.

Morbi

Scavenger
This. All day.

If this person has a copy of the game, an in game model would really show some credit. Seriously, a couple of photos of Ness, Wario, hell even Bowser Junior doing an attack would help the credibility. If they have a copy of the game it wouldnt take much more effort.
I will believe the leak once he records some Dark Pit game-play with his cellphone. As of current; however, pictures are not enough.

Zynux

Smash Lord
I am not sure why you are using my post as an example. False could not objectively refute the leak, therefore he only served to point out one additional inconsistency (there are a plethora of them); HOWEVER, that was not why I pulled out the "straw grasp" card. I pulled out that card because he turned the entire scenario into an either or fallacy and insinuated that the one inconsistency he found proves the leak to be false (pun not intended).
Fair enough about the fallacious second point, but I still don't see any of it remotely "straw-grasping".

A character on there is revealed and the art matches up
This would be the most significant to me. Though my pessimism largely finds the leak plausible anyway.

Last edited:

~Krystal~

True American Heroine
Why don't the character icons have names on them?
I would assume limited space, but even then the organization of the CSS is the wackiest I've seen yet. We'll find out within the month or until this person decides to upload some conclusive evidence like gameplay footage or even in game screens of the models.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom