• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I think Great Tiger would be a good secondary.

Either that or Super Macho Man releasing the bogus.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Can't argue that. I do believe that Bald Bull is an overall more significant character to the Punch-Out!! series itself, though.
Well actually, like @ Hotfeet444 Hotfeet444 said it was Hippo who caused Mac to lose his title in Punch Out Wii.
(Hey wait a sec was that canon or just in that commercial?)
But Bull has appeared in almost, if not, every game in the series.

?????????????

Smash Master
Well actually, like @ Hotfeet444 Hotfeet444 said it was Hippo who caused Mac to lose his title in Punch Out Wii.
Bald Bull has appeared more often than King Hippo (within the Punch-Out series itself), and in larger roles.

As far as I know, the Punch Out Wii thing is commercial only?

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
1.It WAS the commercial.
2.Bald Bull was in Punch Out,Super Punch out,and Punch Out Wii.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Here is the video that I was referencing, for those who don't know.
Yeah, pretty sure this wasn't canon, but it may be significant that it was Hippo used in the commercial.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Oh my god,we missed out the best character in the series.

Disco Kid.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Mike Tyson would be proud.
PLEASE. OH MY GOD PLEASE LET THAT BE A THING
Mike Tyson is the perfect assist trophy. When you summon him he bites off someone's ear.

I don't really know much about Punch-Out, this conversation isn't really my strong suit... How about that Krystal then? :troll:

Nah, that's left a sour taste in my mouth, let's talk about Ganondorf. I saw a pretty legit moveset hack for him, gave me a few ideas. I'll try to work something out.

Louie G.

Smash Hero

Disco Kid.
As great as characters like Disco Kid are, comparing them to the likes of King Hippo and Bald Bull isn't really too great since the two I mentioned are a lot more significant to the series in general.
That being said we do need Super Macho Man in Smash Bros 4 in some form.

Manny Toons

Smash Journeyman

Disco Kid.
I freaking love Disco Kid... Though he seems rather hated from what I've heard. Ah well. As long as his amazing theme makes it in the game, it's all good.

Aw man, Glass Joe could be a hilarious Assist Trophy. You summon him and he just weakly flails his arms while running back and forth across the stage akin to Luigi's dash attack.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
As great as characters like Disco Kid are, comparing them to the likes of King Hippo and Bald Bull isn't really too great since the two I mentioned are a lot more significant to the series in general.
That being said we do need Super Macho Man in Smash Bros 4 in some form.
We all want to see Macho Man one way,but we also want that "Wheeeeeeeeeeeee"

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I hope that Punch Out gets more than one assist.
Characters like Macho Man, Glass Joe, and Popinski coming out of the trophy would be a riot.

SmasherMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
TelevisionGamer
Why doesn't anybody think of Doc Louis being an Assist Trophy?

I would prefer him being like Resetti, but he encourages the player and gives them a boost as well.

Last edited:

?????????????

Smash Master
I want Doc Louis to just be Mac's trainer. If he actually has a role like he did in the trailer, I think that'd be awesome.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Mike Tyson could make a Mii of himself and then play against Little Mac.

This is possible because Mii will be a character in the game ;)

Last edited:

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
I want Doc Louis to just be Mac's trainer. If he actually has a role like he did in the trailer, I think that'd be awesome.
How about a down taunt where he pops up in a bubble at the bottom of the screen and gives an encouraging quote/hint about one of the characters Little Mac's battling, similar to Snake's codec calls? Also, one last thing...Doc Louis better show up in Snake's codec call for Little Mac.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Doc could be in the background coaching Mac, like the Pokemon Trainer and his Pokemon. Though that might annoy some...

He should have "codec" conversations on the boxing ring stage, that'd be hilarious.

"Watch out Mac, Kirby can eat more than me, and he isn't afraid of eating the competition either!"

Last edited:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I don't know why, but I feel SMARTER posting today...
Maybe it's the cool cat in my avatar.

I remember someone bringing up Macho as an assist, and mentioning posing and flashing cameras that stun.
That'd be pretty great, I must admit. As much as I want King Hippo.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
EDIT: Hold on I just noticed this. You said it was more major than Animal Crossing, Mario, Punch-Out, Sonic, Wario, Pikmin, and Wii Fit!?!?
Your sense of logic continues to baffle me,
"He said something I can apply to things he obviously didn't mean!"

Actually it is. That is a very classic and iconic Nintendo franchise. You can't say the same for Golden Sun. Popular yes. But, iconic and major? No.
How classic and iconic a character / franchise is has never been a key focal point in deciding characters. This hasn't changed in Smash For Wii U and 3DS.

The Golden Sun franchise is iconic in it's own right, just as many of Nintendo's other franchises are. A franchise that may be better suited to not be seen as iconic would probably the recently created IPs (Dillon's Rolling Western, Pushmo / Pullblox, Xenoblade, Captain Rainbow, etc.).
Golden Sun may not be "classic" but neither is the entire Wii franchise. With one of it's subsidiary series already having a character (Wii Fit's own Trainer) and it's main iconic character having a fairly large chance of ending up being playable (the Mii) the necessary right to be considered "Classic" should already be seen as complete rubbish.

Even within existing franchise, the inclusion of the popular Rosalina over the iconic Toad should also show the same goes within existing franchises. If the character you're suggesting adds nothing new to the roster gameplay-wise, don't expect them to have much of a chance. This is what is important, not how classic, iconic, popular, or relevant you are.

Of course, those facts do help in some cases. But gameplay comes first, which shows through our five newcomers.

Last edited:

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
As much as I desire to go into further explanation regarding my decision (which I do not even fully agree with myself), I am out of it today. As a result of a lack of motivation, I have become exhaustively bored, and am therefore rambling incoherently; perhaps I should return when I regain my energy. This is not a slight to anybody else, for the matter.
I get that way some times too. It's totally understandable. I was just curious.

Your sense of logic continues to baffle me,
He specifically said it was more major than any other existing franchise in Super Smash Brothers.

Last edited by a moderator:

SuperBrawler

Smash Master
Doc could be in the background coaching Mac, like the Pokemon Trainer and his Pokemon. Though that might annoy some...

He should have "codec" conversations on the boxing ring stage, that'd be hilarious.

"Watch out Mac, Kirby can eat more than me, and he isn't afraid of eating the competition either!"
Mac versus Mac versus Mac versus Mac?

"Mac! It's you!" Said all of them simultaneously. "Mac, it's me!"

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
I don't know why, but I feel SMARTER posting today...
Maybe it's the cool cat in my avatar.

I remember someone bringing up Macho as an assist, and mentioning posing and flashing cameras that stun.
That'd be pretty great, I must admit. As much as I want King Hippo.
Maybe avatars have some correlation to how people view you. Mac doesn't look too happy in mine, and some people think I'm being rude or flaming when I'm not. Hmmm... Could always go back to my preferred avatar selections, I still had Medli...

I never really think about assists actually, they're just kind of there for me. The only memorable one was that spinning stick thing with how hilariously useless it was.

SuperBrawler

Smash Master
Ooh! Doc should have color swaps too.
Good idea.
Maybe avatars have some correlation to how people view you. Mac doesn't look too happy in mine, and some people think I'm being rude or flaming when I'm not. Hmmm... Could always go back to my preferred avatar selections, I still had Medli...

I never really think about assists actually, they're just kind of there for me. The only memorable one was that spinning stick thing with how hilariously useless it was.
How do people view me based on my avatar than?

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
God do I feel awkward now. :p Not because of your own beliefs of yours...but everyone's beliefs of mine. :p

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Cannot wait for Pac-Man to be in.

I really want King K. Rool and Ridley as well.

Not sure if any other character really gets my juices flowing.

Broodlaw

Smash Cadet
NNID
Broodlaw
Switch FC
SW-0613-0942-5903
Great Tiger to me has the most potential just cause of his teleporting, though I wouldn't mind Disco Kid or Bald Bull

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Honestly, I don't know how anybody else feels about Punch-Out!!, but I think Little Mac should be the only character.

I just got a used copy of the Wii game. It's super fun. I think Little Mac does it justice though.

Anybody want to talk Shulk? (I haven't been around for a few days, so forgive me if he has been a recycled subject)

?????????????

Smash Master
Honestly, I don't know how anybody else feels about Punch-Out!!, but I think Little Mac should be the only character.

I just got a used copy of the Wii game. It's super fun. I think Little Mac does it justice though.

Anybody want to talk Shulk? (I haven't been around for a few days, so forgive me if he has been a recycled subject)
As far as playable characters go, I think Mac is fine on his own, even though Punch-Out is my favorite series.

We haven't talked about Shulk much yet. I think he has very decent chances, and he'd be really fun to play. He's still on my roster, anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom