• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe D.

Smash Ace
NNID
NeroSnare
3DS FC
2552-1665-5337
Well if it does, I'm willing to infract both sides.

So, play nice! :D

So...

Anyone think any other assist trophies will get the Little Mac treatment?

Also, when do you think Palutena will be revealed?
I want to see Kat and Ana become playable. They have such great potential for a unique moveset, and Wario Ware seems to be a favored franchise, so I think a second rep for them wouldn't be bad :)

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Warning Received
Joy. You think I'm flaming? Please do point out where I'm flaming, I was not rude to you, did not insult you, and did not call you any names. Unless calling someone out on being a hypocrite is flaming. I'm terribly sorry if you think I'm flaming you, but I'm just not, please stop putting words in my mouth.

Please explain this logic, Ganondorf so obviously would have used his sword, but did not. Rosalina so obviously would use her Lumas and did, so which is it? Will other characters be clones because of Ganondorf, or will they be unique and use things that they can use, like Rosalina? You can't have it both ways, Saturn. You say that Rosalina has her Luma because it was obvious she would get it, yet she couldn't have been a clone like Ganondorf? You contradict yourself.

You would have included Lumas in Rosalina's moveset, yet you entirely ignore the fact that Krystal would use her staff, and instead relegate her to a clone. You're just trying to cover yourself, and doing a terrible job at it. What is so inherently different about Rosalina that she couldn't possibly be a clone, yet Krystal would?

Do note, and be sure to read this so you don't start something again: I am not trying to start an argument, and as I said before, I am not flaming you. If you are going to respond to this, please be civil about it. I have nothing against you, Saturn, I'm trying to be nice here, there is no reason for us to argue.

This is exactly the point I am trying to make, he is claiming, in hindsight, that Rosalina would obviously use her Lumas. In fact, not even in hindsight, since he just said "I actually ignored Rosalina before she was revealed. But, if I were to have come up with a unique move set I would have incorporated Luma is some way." which to me, seems to imply that he thinks she would have used Lumas before seeing her do so in her reveal. I'm simply pointing out, that either he is being hypocritical, or he has some major bias against Krystal, as he has, on multiple occasions, said that she would be nothing more than a Fox clone and would never use her staff. As you can see in the above quote as well.
Wow, okay. Ignoring this guy for sure.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Someone mentioned about moving in four diagonal angles in the air to mimic the movement of Pac-Man from the arcade game of the same name.

I think, someone needs to go into detail about that. Sounds similar to the concept of air dashing.

FinalStarmen

Smash Ace
In terms of promotional advancement from an Assist Trophy to a full-fledged playable character, I would confidently state Isaac, and perhaps Saki, Tingle, and Samurai Goroh, would have the most favorable advantages.

The most advisable course of action for Isaac to undertake, if he is unplayable this time around, is to be (once again) relegated within a supporting role as an Assist Trophy. As long as Isaac maintains a consistent level of acknowledgement through an arguably notable function of item-based game-play, he would gain popularity among those unfamiliar to the series and Sakurai would eventually have to give in to demands for his playability. (This all depends on, however, the lifespan of Super Smash Brothers itself.)

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Hey guys, I can see where saturn is coming from. He believes that the ghosts are iconic enough to be in his moveset. I agree, I just believe they should be used as enemies and not allies. Lets just change the subject. Its not healthy to start another argument over tiny things.
So...a ghost circling shield?
Of course I want R.O.B. in, he has no reason to leave, was a fun character in Brawl, and was unique in his own sense. And yes, Gameradar needs to just burn...their online series is so painful to watch I'm shocked how many people watch it. Ah well, it's clear that Youtube loves stupidity...*Cough* Shokio *Cough*
Nope. Shokio is an exception. That's just very offensive for people who atleat try.

Joe D.

Smash Ace
NNID
NeroSnare
3DS FC
2552-1665-5337
Of course I want R.O.B. in, he has no reason to leave, was a fun character in Brawl, and was unique in his own sense. And yes, Gameradar needs to just burn...their online series is so painful to watch I'm shocked how many people watch it. Ah well, it's clear that Youtube loves stupidity...*Cough* Shokio *Cough*
Are you FelicaFan44? If you are, i'm a big fan. You are the one that made me hyped for Ridley. If you're not, then sorry fort his awkward post.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
And yet it's hardly remembered by anyone outside the internet and never referenced by Nintendo in anything else. It's not as major as the IPs that have gotten in. (with the exception of retros of course).

EDIT: Hold on I just noticed this. You said it was more major than Animal Crossing, Mario, Punch-Out, Sonic, Wario, Pikmin, and Wii Fit!?!?
It's remembered, but it's like Pokemon, Nintendo can't just use cameos whenever they want. It's a second party franchise. Golden Sun has done more than Mother and arguably Kid Icarus. It's not a huge franchise, but it's still pretty important.

AND ABOUT THE EDIT: No. That is not what I meant. I meant it's done more than some series that have already been included.

josh bones

Smash Lord
Joy. You think I'm flaming? Please do point out where I'm flaming, I was not rude to you, did not insult you, and did not call you any names. Unless calling someone out on being a hypocrite is flaming. I'm terribly sorry if you think I'm flaming you, but I'm just not, please stop putting words in my mouth.

Please explain this logic, Ganondorf so obviously would have used his sword, but did not. Rosalina so obviously would use her Lumas and did, so which is it? Will other characters be clones because of Ganondorf, or will they be unique and use things that they can use, like Rosalina? You can't have it both ways, Saturn. You say that Rosalina has her Luma because it was obvious she would get it, yet she couldn't have been a clone like Ganondorf? You contradict yourself.

You would have included Lumas in Rosalina's moveset, yet you entirely ignore the fact that Krystal would use her staff, and instead relegate her to a clone. You're just trying to cover yourself, and doing a terrible job at it. What is so inherently different about Rosalina that she couldn't possibly be a clone, yet Krystal would?

Do note, and be sure to read this so you don't start something again: I am not trying to start an argument, and as I said before, I am not flaming you. If you are going to respond to this, please be civil about it. I have nothing against you, Saturn, I'm trying to be nice here, there is no reason for us to argue.

This is exactly the point I am trying to make, he is claiming, in hindsight, that Rosalina would obviously use her Lumas. In fact, not even in hindsight, since he just said "I actually ignored Rosalina before she was revealed. But, if I were to have come up with a unique move set I would have incorporated Luma is some way." which to me, seems to imply that he thinks she would have used Lumas before seeing her do so in her reveal. I'm simply pointing out, that either he is being hypocritical, or he has some major bias against Krystal, as he has, on multiple occasions, said that she would be nothing more than a Fox clone and would never use her staff. As you can see in the above quote as well.
ROsalina has used lumas in galaxy, and luma follows her in Mario kart. Krystal never even used her staff, different.

SuperBrawler

Smash Master
You want Waluigi in his capsule?
Off with his head.
WALUIGI FOR BOSS!

Also, I kinda want to make a no cuts 45 character roster but it's harder than I thought.
image.jpg

Looks kinda like this, but instead of K. Rool there is Cranky, Samurai Goroh instead of Tetra, Muddy Mole instead of Takamaru, and Tiki instead of Roy, but I have no idea who to cut.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
It's remembered, but it's like Pokemon, Nintendo can't just use cameos whenever they want. It's a second party franchise. Golden Sun has done more than Mother and arguably Kid Icarus. It's not a huge franchise, but it's still pretty important.

AND ABOUT THE EDIT: No. That is not what I meant. I meant it's done more than some series that have already been included.
I would argue that those are more classic franchises than Golden Sun. Sales don't mean everything. And at the time Mother was added it was pretty big in Japan and had a new installment in NA. And Kid Icarus was retro.

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
So...a ghost circling shield?

Nope. Shokio is an exception. That's just very offensive for people who atleat try.
He obviously doesn't try hard enough, especially when his videos are horrible.

Anyways, on topic, I wouldn't mind a Starfox newcomer in Krystal, that is all...:p

Are you FelicaFan44? If you are, i'm a big fan. You are the one that made me hyped for Ridley. If you're not, then sorry fort his awkward post.
Yes, I am FeliciaFan444, I usually cycle between these two names depending on where it is I visit. And I'm glad to see another fan, especially when I make them excited for seeing certain characters, be it unexpected or heavily requested.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
That's the one. I'm actually fond to his channel.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
Saki? Why?
because he's hip and has a ponytail.

yup, pretty sure that's a guy.

Yes, I am FeliciaFan444, I usually cycle between these two names depending on where it is I visit. And I'm glad to see another fan, especially when I make them excited for seeing certain characters, be it unexpected or heavily requested.
Man, I wish I had fans.

I guess that would mean I would actually have to do stuff though, so whatever.

Last edited:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Notice how all of those characters had something to do with the Wii. (I don't think New Leaf was out when Villager was confirmed.)
Villager- Newest Game was City Folk (Might be wrong)
Wii Fit Trainer- Well, Wii is in her name.
Little Mac- Came back to life on Wii
Megaman- Stayed around thanks to the VC
Rosalina- Born on the Wii Console.

Clearly they are focused on Wii and DS series this time around, and hopefully not 3DS and Wii U characters. *cough* Chrom *Cough*

Also, even if the Palutena leak does some how end up being fake, Kirby might be Sakurai's child, but Kid Icarus is his Step-Child, so he will push to have some KI character playable.

EDIT: New Leaf came before SSB4 was announced, but a few months after Uprising was finished (When they said SSB4 development started)
Takamaru was in Samurai Warriors 3.

Chrom Avatar was in Fire Emblem Awakening

Ridley appeared in Other M Metroid Prime 3.

King K. Rool was a batter in Mario Super Sluggers

Isaac grew up as a bearded badass in Golden Sun: Dark Dawn

Shulk is the poster boy of Xenoblade Chronicles

Vaati appeared in the 25th anniversary version of LoZ: Four Swords.

Basically, they and a few others are all confirmed by that logic. :troll:

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
The one thing I hate about some reviews over new characters,I despise these four words : "Waste of a slot"

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Takamaru was in Samurai Warriors 3.

Chrom Avatar was in Fire Emblem Awakening

Ridley appeared in Other M Metroid Prime 3.

King K. Rool was a batter in Mario Super Sluggers

Isaac grew up as a bearded badass in Golden Sun: Dark Dawn

Shulk is the poster boy of Xenoblade Chronicles

Vaati appeared in the 25th anniversary version of LoZ: Four Swords.

Basically, they and a few others are all confirmed by that logic. :troll:
Dont forget Waluigi was in Mario Tennis Mario Party WarioWare :troll:

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
ROsalina has used lumas in galaxy, and luma follows her in Mario kart. Krystal never even used her staff, different.
Krystal did use her staff at the very beginning of Star Fox Adventures in a cutscene. While yes, Rosalina has Lumas, she has never used them to attack people. If Rosalina can decide to use her children as living projectiles, I'm pretty certain Krystal can use a staff that belongs to her.

Joe D.

Smash Ace
NNID
NeroSnare
3DS FC
2552-1665-5337
He obviously doesn't try hard enough, especially when his videos are horrible.

Anyways, on topic, I wouldn't mind a Starfox newcomer in Krystal, that is all...:p

Cool, always nice to meet someone i'm a fan of! Haha

I'm also a huge advocate for Krystal's inclusion, and since there was an argument recently about her move set, I came up with one that might actually make her stand out with a unique move set, but i'll keep it VERY brief.

So since she has her staff, let her use it as a melee weapon with elemental effects. Now, we know she was shown to use the SF weaponry itself, so why not allow her to completely switch her move set up, to fight with more weaponry, like grenades, or the Gatling Gun. The switch would be similar to how Zelda transforms, only she would just switch weapons.

I think that if it were balanced, and there were hindering traits to prevent this set from being to OP, it would work well!

Last edited:

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
Krystal did use her staff at the very beginning of Star Fox Adventures in a cutscene. While yes, Rosalina has Lumas, she has never used them to attack people. If Rosalina can decide to use her children as living projectiles, I'm pretty certain Krystal can use a staff that belongs to her.
And since we've got Namco-Bandai on board, leave it to them to create a fantastic staff fighting style, they're no stranger to doing so. :p (Soul Calibur 4 Kilik Main)

Cool, always nice to meet someone i'm a fan of! Haha

I'm also a huge advocate for Krystal's inclusion, but it's a shame how fans of her can't support her without being accused of being a *won't say it because it's just not what I am.*

Since there was an argument recently about her move set, I came up with one that might actually make her stand out with a unique move set, but i'll keep it VERY brief.

So since she has her staff, let her use it as a melee weapon with elemental effects. Now, we know she was shown to use the SF weaponry itself, so why not allow her to completely switch her move set up, to fight with more weaponry, like grenades, or the Gatling Gun. The switch would be similar to how Zelda transforms, only she would just switch weapons.

I think that if it were balanced, and there were hindering traits to prevent this set from being to OP, it would work well!
Well, there's no reason to believe we can't have a healthy mix of both. Using Grenades and a Gatling Gun on a couple of attacks while retaining an overall staff fighting style is possible, and it would give notion to two different styles of appearances she's had, which would be apparent with her outfit as well. (Blue Jumpsuit while wielding the staff)

Last edited:

shrooby

Let me know when I'm supposed to laugh, okay?
BRoomer
NNID
shrooby
3DS FC
2320-6364-8294
Releasing ghosts and having them try to kill characters like they do in the game is unfitting? And what about the icicles that try to kill Ice Climbers? They control those.

I don't see how this is any less fitting than that or R.O.B.'s lasers. Or Mr. Game & Watch swinging a turtle at you when he normally jumps on them.
I think it's out of character, yes. When I saw ROB, Game & Watch, and Ice Climbers in Smash I didn't have a basis for what was feasible for them to in my eyes sinse I had never played anything where they did anything of significance. So almost anything they could've done in Smash I wouldn't have questioned. It's a bias. A silly bias based on the fact that I didn't play their games and therefor am open to almost anything they may do. But Pac-Man I do have a basis for what I see as fitting and not fitting since I've played his games before, which is why I would see it as odd. I have preexisting associations with the character.
Me thinking that doesn't mean it won't happen. It doesn't mean it wouldn't be fun or unique. It doesn't mean I'm against the idea.
I just think it be strange to see. Interesting, but strange. I can understand and respect why you don't see it that way though.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I don't know why,I just think Waluigi has so much potential.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
WALUIGI FOR BOSS!

Also, I kinda want to make a no cuts 45 character roster but it's harder than I thought.
View attachment 8779
Looks kinda like this, but instead of K. Rool there is Cranky, Samurai Goroh instead of Tetra, Muddy Mole instead of Takamaru, and Tiki instead of Roy, but I have no idea who to cut.
You forgot Rosalina.
Seriously?

Headcrab Jackalope

Smash Ace
NNID
Jackalope1313
3DS FC
0791-2751-5749
Switch FC
SW-2418-1451-4036
On the topic of Pac-Man having ghosts in his moveset, didn't he control or work with the ghosts in that one Pac-Man Adventure game? I think it was 3.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom