• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
So Saturn brought up the ghost shield again?
Well the idea is certainly growing on me, I was just thinking about it the other day.
But it doesn't look like much is going on, so I present you with a new topic.

FinalStarmen

Smash Ace
Saki? Why?
As much as I desire to go into further explanation regarding my decision (which I do not even fully agree with myself), I am out of it today. As a result of a lack of motivation, I have become exhaustively bored, and am therefore rambling incoherently; perhaps I should return when I regain my energy. This is not a slight to anybody else, for the matter.

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Well the idea is certainly growing on me, I was just thinking about it the other day.

Psst.. Are we going to end the days of Sukapon and Sheriff soon. :p

On the topic of Pac-Man having ghosts in his moveset, didn't he control or work with the ghosts in that one Pac-Man Adventure game? I think it was 3.
Yeah, but that's basically playing as another character with Pac's meditation. That doesn't fit him in general.

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
As much as I desire to go into further explanation regarding my decision (which I do not even fully agree with myself), I am out of it today. As a result of a lack of motivation, I have become exhaustively bored, and am therefore rambling incoherently; perhaps I should return when I regain my energy. This is not a slight to anybody else, for the matter.
Eh, no need to feel bad, it's winter, these types of feelings come around much more commonly this season than during any other one. :p

Wait, this was apparently a thing before? Oi Vey...

Anyways, Meowth would be good, but we've already got our perfect 5 pokemon and I don't see us getting a sixth this game. :p

Last edited:

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
U.S., Maryland (Eastern Time, UTC - 5hrs)
NNID
EquinoXYZ

Ehhh, Naw. More pacman :troll:
I never really considered meowth, but he might be cool. I want to see a moveset first.

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
Regarding Pac-Man summoning ghosts, I'd imagine that the ghosts would be blue and when they're summoned they run away from Pac-Man bumping into enemies. He can be holding a power pellet in his hand, so it makes sense.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I'm JUST going through my Pokémon phase, likely from withdrawal as a child.
That being said I'm starting to watch clips of the anime and a certain Pokémon has stood out to me: Meowth.
He's such a funny and likable character and I think that he deserves to be in Smash Bros arguably more than Lucario and Jigglypuff.
So that being said if we get a sixth Poke I'm rooting for this guy, no contest.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Anyways, Meowth would be good, but we've already got our perfect 5 pokemon and I don't see us getting a sixth this game. :p
Not many people could see us getting five Mario characters and said 5th Mario character is actually not Dr. Mario.

It is possible we could get a 6th Pokemon character. I just know that it won't be Meowth (he is my most-wanted Pokemon)...

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
I like Pokemon, but I was never terribly into Pokemon in Smash, though Mewtwo was still my favorite Pokemon in Melee.

I just want all the Brawl Pokemon and Mewtwo to return, I don't care if we get any new Pokemon. But if we did, my vote goes to Goodra.

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
I'm JUST going through my Pokémon phase, likely from withdrawal as a child.
That being said I'm starting to watch clips of the anime and a certain Pokémon has stood out to me: Meowth.
He's such a funny and likable character and I think that he deserves to be in Smash Bros arguably more than Lucario and Jigglypuff.
So that being said if we get a sixth Poke I'm rooting for this guy, no contest.
Well, it can certainly happen, and he's got enough going for him when it comes to moveset, popularity, and basically everything else between said things. He's already more important than almost half the pokemon characters (Basically behind Pokemon Trainer and in front of Lucario so 4th place) so I say eh, why not. :p

Last edited:

Manny Toons

Smash Journeyman
I support Meowth 100%... however, I don't see him getting in unless if he was to replace a current Pokemon veteran. Jigglypuff being the most likely to be replaced/removed at some point. But to go and remove an easy to develop character for another that's just as outdated is something I am not expecting nor have any hope for seeing happen.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I don't want a second Punch Out rep. But an assist instead. If I were to pick,it would be either Great Tiger,Bald Bull,Nick/Rick Bruiser,or Aran Ryan.

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
Not many people could see us getting five Mario characters and said 5th Mario character is actually not Dr. Mario.

It is possible we could get a 6th Pokemon character. I just know that it won't be Meowth (he is my most-wanted Pokemon)...
I think it's pretty out there as of now, especially when we have to consider that they've tried keeping it tied with their largest franchises, Pokemon and Mario, and even Zelda to a much lesser extent. And I know Pokemon Trainer counts for three, but when its actual places on a roster, it's still shown as one. Regardless, if it happens, I want it to be Zoroark more than anything else, she's still being brought back for games and has been in recent advertisements for X and Y.

Last edited:

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Pac-Man should be based on movement, biting and obstacles/items in the game.

Someone mentioned this before. Pac-Man should be able to turn on a dime. Very good traction.

B Bite: Hold B, release. Pac-Man starts to continuously chomp. In this state you can move him in any of the four cardinal directions and change directions. The longer B is held before release, the more duration Pac-Man has in this state (and the more he can move around). Only goes into a helpless state if the Up direction is used.

Side B Power Pellet: Either uses a slingshot or shoots out of his mouth a Power Pellet. Bounces three times (hitting stage counts as one bounce, opponent counts as two) before losing momentum and stopping (even in the air). If Pac-Man comes in contact with it, he gains a boost of speed and power for a limited time. Opponents can smash the pellet when it is stationary. (Or instead of Pac-Man getting a buff, when he touches the pellet opponents could turn blue and take extra damage and knock-back for a certain time).

A) Down B Cherry: Places a Cherry. On press of Down B, Pac-Man will shoot toward the cherry with mouth open (as the crow flies). Hitting an opponent or cherry will cause his mouth to clamp for good K.O potential. Will go into helpless state if knocked out of his charge if performed in air.

B) Down B Ghost: A ghost appears behind Pac-Man. The ghost acts as a hit-box and will follow Pac-Man. Causes him to go faster. However, if he turns or rolls backwards, he will collide with the ghost and take damage and knock-back. Down B causes the ghost to disappear.

Up B Pinball Launcher: Pac-Man rolls into a yellow ball and spins, a launcher appears under him. The spring in the launcher pulls back before it hits Pac-Man, launching him. Very limited time to spin the launcher around Pac-Man (as the spring pulls back) to pick a direction to send him.

Aerial Down A Butt Bounce: Can bounce off parts of the stage and enemies.

Last edited:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
If Meowth was in Smash 64 instead of Jigglypuff, I doubt that many would clamor for Jiggs's inclusion.
That being said I'm not sure about how I would feel if Jiggs was replaced. Probably not too happy, since she is a 3 time vet, soon to be 4.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
You know... Team Rocket's Meowth was actually distributed to Black 2 & White 2 players in Japan on December 7, 2012 to January 10, 2013...

Louie G.

Smash Hero
You know... Team Rocket's Meowth was actually distributed to Black 2 & White 2 players in Japan on December 7, 2012 to January 10, 2013...
I guess that's a good argument against the people who say that Meowth's importance is strictly anime-related.
Even though technically it is. What people don't understand is how impactful the anime is to the game itself and even to Smash Bros.

Manny Toons

Smash Journeyman
I don't want a second Punch Out rep. But an assist instead. If I were to pick,it would be either Great Tiger,Bald Bull,Nick/Rick Bruiser,or Aran Ryan.
I'm saddened that King Hippo isn't in your list. As amazing as Aran Ryan is, I think King Hippo would be the perfect Assist due to his extremely recognizable mug.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
If Meowth was in Smash 64 instead of Jigglypuff, I doubt that many would clamor for Jiggs's inclusion.
That being said I'm not sure about how I would feel if Jiggs was replaced. Probably not too happy, since she is a 3 time vet, soon to be 4.
I don't care about Jiggs, but I don't want her cut solely because she's a perfect attending veteran.

I'm saddened that King Hippo isn't in your list. As amazing as Aran Ryan is, I think King Hippo would be the perfect Assist due to his extremely recognizable mug.
No no, the Punch-Out assist trophy has to be Mike Tyson.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Frankly I would be ecstatic to get King Hippo as a playable character.
Not an assist trophy, playable.
But if that doesn't happen then I suppose assist trophy will do.
I have made so many videos about why Meowth is a good SSB character.
You're the one who convinced me back in the summer that Meowth was a great choice. I contemplated adding him to my roster after that.

Last edited:

Joe D.

Smash Ace
NNID
NeroSnare
3DS FC
2552-1665-5337
I don't care about Jiggs, but I don't want her cut solely because she's a perfect attending veteran.

No no, the Punch-Out assist trophy has to be Mike Tyson.
PLEASE. OH MY GOD PLEASE LET THAT BE A THING

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
I feel that the only people that would be upset about Jigglypuff's removal are people that hate it when tradition is broken and little girls.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Just a quick list of how they would work :

Great Tiger : Do his "HAZAAAAAAAAA" from his Title Defense form,where he would appear from the left or right screen multiple times before exiting. I say 8 - 15% per hit.

Bald Bull : Basically his bull charge. It would charge up,then punch at full speed. I would say 37 - 45% damage because it's basically a strong move.

Nick/Rick Bruiser : If you need a refresher,Super Punch Out champs. I would say they replace the form Little Mac was in from Brawl. 9% per jab,20% per uppercut

Aran Ryan : SWING DAT ROPE BOIII.

I don't see how King Hippo would work

No no, the Punch-Out assist trophy has to be Mr.Dream.
Fixed. Mike Tyson was just like Mike Jones,Japan removed them because it's foreign to Japan. They will be like "What's a Mike Tyson?"

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
In my honest opinion, although Bald Bull has appeared more, I just find King Hippo the more iconic second character to the Punch-Out franchise. Perhaps it's because his appearance and way of fighting was quite different from the others, but I just found him overall much more memorable. And by the looks of it, Nintendo did as well as accordingly Little Mac lost his belt to King Hippo in the prequel story of Punch-Out Wii. Not to mention his appearance in Captain N the Game Master, while much lower-brow, did add something to being memorable. This is why I honestly think that if Punch-Out gets an assist trophy, it will be King Hippo.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I think the best secondary Punch-Out character in general is Bald Bull.
Oh ho ho, this again. This was a fun debate, glad we're bringing it back.
Well I think that King Hippo is a little more iconic and overall unique in both appearance and ability.
Bald Bull's popularity mainly comes from the infamous Bull Rush, but outside of that I don't see a lot of potential.
Not only is King Hippo more recognizable from the gaming community altogether (I guess you can thank Captain N, a little) but he has a lot more potential outside of one iconic move.
That being said King Hippo is a bit of a blank canvas, giving him fun heavyweight boxer moves would be terrific, don't you think?
Plus he is the PERFECT counter to Mac's small build.

Last edited:

Manny Toons

Smash Journeyman
Just a quick list of how they would work :

Great Tiger : Do his "HAZAAAAAAAAA" from his Title Defense form,where he would appear from the left or right screen multiple times before exiting. I say 8 - 15% per hit.

Bald Bull : Basically his bull charge. It would charge up,then punch at full speed. I would say 37 - 45% damage because it's basically a strong move.

Nick/Rick Bruiser : If you need a refresher,Super Punch Out champs. I would say they replace the form Little Mac was in from Brawl. 9% per jab,20% per uppercut

Aran Ryan : SWING DAT ROPE BOIII.

I don't see how King Hippo would work

Fixed. Mike Tyson was just like Mike Jones,Japan removed them because it's foreign to Japan. They will be like "What's a Mike Tyson?"
King Hippo could simply charge around the arena with sluggish, yet powerful punches. Sounds boring in comparison to what you listed, yeah, I just think King Hippo would be more enjoyable to see. ...Well... Aran Ryan runnin' around swinging a rope with a boxing glove at the end would be pretty glorious.

?????????????

Smash Master
In my honest opinion, although Bald Bull has appeared more, I just find King Hippo the more iconic second character to the Punch-Out franchise. Perhaps it's because his appearance and way of fighting was quite different from the others, but I just found him overall much more memorable. And by the looks of it, Nintendo did as well as accordingly Little Mac lost his belt to King Hippo in the prequel story of Punch-Out Wii. Not to mention his appearance in Captain N the Game Master, while much lower-brow, did add something to being memorable. This is why I honestly think that if Punch-Out gets an assist trophy, it will be King Hippo.
Oh ho ho, this again. This was a fun debate, glad we're bringing it back.
Well I think that King Hippo is a little more iconic and overall unique in both appearance and ability.
Bald Bull's popularity mainly comes from the infamous Bull Rush, but outside of that I don't see a lot of potential.
Not only is King Hippo more recognizable from the gaming community altogether (I guess you can thank Captain N, a little) but he has a lot more potential outside of one iconic move.
That being said King Hippo is a bit of a blank canvas, giving him fun heavyweight boxer moves would be terrific, don't you think?
Plus he is the PERFECT counter to Mac's small build.
Can't argue that. I do believe that Bald Bull is an overall more significant character to the Punch-Out!! series itself, though.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom