• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
I can't really disagree with anything you've said (though #3 is very subjective), but it doesn't change the fact that it may still happen. Imagine for a moment that he does have the same moveset, but his weapons are different. Like, a different bow (with red arrows? different firing speed/trajectory?), a different arm, and so forth. It's one of those things people will complain bitterly about but will eventually get over. Like Falco. And Ganondorf. Cuz everyone is totally over them being clones.
Well, of course number 3 is subjective, but they are MY biggest issues. At the very least, Medusa and Hades are actual villains and Medusa would be our first female villain on top of that.

For the record I wouldn't be upset if Dark Pit got in, I always tend to enjoy clones and they take so little dev time that I see them as bonuses. I will be a bit upset if we get a few super cloney clones and Wolf and/or Lucas are cut, though.

NeonBurrito

Smash Ace
My biggest issues with Dark pit are:

1.) He looks EXACTLY like a Pit recolor. He would need some tweaking to stand out and would also need his own non-Pit recolors.

2.) He works best as a completely unique character and not a clone. He should probably use the Dark Pit Staff and not a bow and arrow, and he could be used to represent the weapon variety in Uprising the same way Palutena represents the special moves.

3.) I still think Medusa or Hades are better options.
These are my thoughts exactly. I am currently playing through Kid Icarus: Uprising; and I have learned that if Dark Pit gets in with a unique moveset (Dark Pit Staff) or gets to use the other weapon types (Cannons, Claws, Staffs), I'd be completely cool with it. However, I would much rather prefer Hades or Medusa over Dark Pit, and I doubt we're going to get another Kid Icarus rep anyway. But then again, we got two Fire Emblem Awakening reps, when I only expected one, and we all know how Sakurai loves Kid Icarus: Uprising, so two new Kid Icarus reps aren't out of the possibility.

Last edited:

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
These are my thoughts exactly. I am currently playing through Kid Icarus: Uprising; and I have learned that if Dark Pit gets in with a unique moveset (Dark Pit Staff) or gets to use the other weapon types (Cannons, Claws, Staffs), I'd be completely cool with it. However, I would much rather prefer Hades or Medusa over Dark Pit, and I doubt we're going to get another Kid Icarus rep anyway. But then again, we got two Fire Emblem Awakening reps, when I only expected one, and we all know how Sakurai loves Kid Icarus: Uprising, so two Kid Icarus reps aren't out of the possibility.
I'm in agreement, although I would love another Kid Icarus character. I would actually like another Kid Icarus rep over another Donkey Kong rep, but if KI goes up to three and DK stays at two that would be a travesty.

I could see Medusa as a Palutena semi-clone. It would be hilarious if Hades got in and took the old Falcondorf move set. Sure it doesn't make much sense, but that move set never made sense anyway.

AncientTobacco

Smash Lord
Here's my new 52 character roster.

Additional newcomers:
-King K. Rool
-Ridley
-Medusa
-Ganon

Returnees:
-Mewtwo

Cuts:
-Snake
-Ivysaur & Squirtle

Mii Fighter is selected from a separate customization button or something.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117

Welp, here's another roster for you folks to turn your scrutiny upon. One of the DK reps can be replaced with a Rhythm Heaven character if you must cling to Gematsu, or Shulk can be replaced with a retro/Snake if you are dead-set against the "outdated/inaccurate/extraordinarily lucky" leak. Don't touch Isaac, though; he's the only thing on the unconfirmed roster that I am really invested in.

As for Dark Pit, I sincerely hope this won't instigate a discussion of him... but I really do think he's in. I re-watched all the trailers back to back this morning, and Dark Pit's teaser really screamed "playable" to me. It's my prediction that we're gonna find out that he got the "Lucina" treatment and was altered from an alt of Pit into a full character.

And Ridley... I honestly have no clue. I put him in because it's entirely possible, but I can so see him turning out to be a "hype" (by Sakurai's standards) stage boss. I'll be happy either way, but for now, let's say playable.
It passes my rigorous test of "does it have both Mother Reps, Ridley, and Shulk." Isaac and the DK reps are also a nice bonus. I still think another Zelda rep is somewhat likely, and I truly believe we will see some sort of Rhythm Heaven rep (not because of Gematsu, but because of the sneaky spirit.)

Over all it's probably a much better roster then we will actually get. For my tastes anyway.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
I think we're getting less newcomers than most people expect. Sakurai said ages ago not to expect a huge roster and the fact they're still revealing veterans so close to release tells me they don't have many newcomers.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I didn't really pay attention to anything non-Smash at E3, but now I wish I did.

I looked up about Code Name: S.T.E.A.M. since it (and its protagonist) was brought up in the Speculation Chart thread and found out one of the characters you control is a ****in' lion with a gun.

I NEED THIS GAME.
I also don't care he's not the main protagonist, Lion for Smash!

Doompatron3000

Smash Journeyman
I think we're getting less newcomers than most people expect. Sakurai said ages ago not to expect a huge roster and the fact they're still revealing veterans so close to release tells me they don't have many newcomers.
http://www.smashbros.com/wii/en_us/characters/index.html

Remember that place? Sakurai didn't reveal all the characters, had some which were called "Secret Fighters" and he didn't reveal them until the game was officially released. On top of that we are already ahead of Brawl's character count (Number varies depending on what you think of the 3 types of Miis)

Morbi

Scavenger

Welp, here's another roster for you folks to turn your scrutiny upon. One of the DK reps can be replaced with a Rhythm Heaven character if you must cling to Gematsu, or Shulk can be replaced with a retro/Snake if you are dead-set against the "outdated/inaccurate/extraordinarily lucky" leak. Don't touch Isaac, though; he's the only thing on the unconfirmed roster that I am really invested in.

As for Dark Pit, I sincerely hope this won't instigate a discussion of him... but I really do think he's in. I re-watched all the trailers back to back this morning, and Dark Pit's teaser really screamed "playable" to me. It's my prediction that we're gonna find out that he got the "Lucina" treatment and was altered from an alt of Pit into a full character.

And Ridley... I honestly have no clue. I put him in because it's entirely possible, but I can so see him turning out to be a "hype" (by Sakurai's standards) stage boss. I'll be happy either way, but for now, let's say playable.
Interesting, another advocate of Dark Pit! Celebration is in order!

My biggest issues with Dark pit are:

1.) He looks EXACTLY like a Pit recolor. He would need some tweaking to stand out and would also need his own non-Pit recolors.

2.) He works best as a completely unique character and not a clone. He should probably use the Dark Pit Staff and not a bow and arrow, and he could be used to represent the weapon variety in Uprising the same way Palutena represents the special moves.

3.) I still think Medusa or Hades are better options.
Hence the name, Dark Pit. :p

I agree, he works best as his own unique character, but sometimes, we just have to accept that it is easier and more plausible to develop a clone over a unique character. Especially if it is a character that people are not particularly fond of.

Better options, perhaps... for original characters. Dark Pit is undeniably the most reasonable candidate for clone-status for the first reason you asserted.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Well, I've decided to go ahead and make an incredibly optimistic roster that isn't likely to happen but is still technically feasible. So, here it is, a 57 (55 if you don't count the separate Mii Fighters) character roster.

Optimistic Roster.png

Explanations

Paper Mario: My ideal choice for a sixth Mario character, if we were to get one (and no, I don't care that he's basically Mario). He has a lot of unique potential and could offer a lot as a representative of his own mini-series within the Mario universe. With a Paper Mario stage present on the 3DS, he may not be out of the question.

King K. Rool + Dixie Kong: I really only expect one Donkey Kong newcomer, but since this roster is optimistic, I decided to include both. I don't think these two require explanation.

Tetra: Seems like no one remembers Tetra nowadays... At this point, I think she's the most ideal choice for a sixth Zelda character, as odd as that may sound (and again, I don't care that she's technically another Zelda: she's nothing like the two forms of Zelda we already have). Basically, she's important (essentially being Toon Zelda), she's even more recent than someone like Ghirahim due to Wind Waker HD, and she has unique potential. She's also another character from the "toon" games, meaning Toon Link wouldn't be the only "toon" character on the roster. Maybe it's an unpopular opinion, but I think Tetra would be a pretty good addition to Smash.

Ridley: Self explanatory.

Mewtwo: Pretty much the most popular character request, has every reason to be in Smash, slots don't matter, etc.

Shulk: Good character from a great game. He seems pretty likely.

Rhythm Heaven Character: The Rhythm Heaven girl is just a placeholder for any Rhythm Heaven character. I think some sort of character from that series is fairly likely due to the Sneaky Spirit in Smash Run, but who it may actually be is up in the air. Could be Chorus Men, could be Marshall, could be Karate Joe... I don't know who it will be, but I think we will get someone.

So, thoughts?

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
So, about Veterans. If we do have unlockables, and if all of the revealed characters sans third parties are starters, I have a feeling we will see something like this:

Remaining Starters:
Wario
Ness OR Lucas
Ice Climbers (if not cut)
Remaining Pokemon Trainer Pokemon (although likely cuts)

Possible Upgrade to Starter:

Falco OR Wolf
Jigglypuff (if Mewtwo is back, still likely hidden)

Unlockables
Ness OR Lucas (if both are back)
Falco and/or Wolf (if both are back)
Mewtwo (if returning)
ROB
Game and Watch
Gannondorf
Any other possible returning Melee cuts (Roy, Dr. Mario, Pichu, Young Link.)
All third parties (including Snake if he returns)

Now, I obviously don't think EVERYONE is coming back, but that is where I see the chips landing for those characters should they come back.

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
So, about Veterans. If we do have unlockables, and if all of the revealed characters sans third parties are starters, I have a feeling we will see something like this:

Remaining Starters:
Wario
Ness OR Lucas
Ice Climbers (if not cut)
Remaining Pokemon Trainer Pokemon (although likely cuts)
Possible Upgrade to Starter:
Falco OR Wolf
Jigglypuff (if Mewtwo is back, still likely hidden)

Unlockables
Ness OR Lucas (if both are back)
Falco and/or Wolf (if both are back)
Mewtwo (if returning)
ROB
Game and Watch
Gannondorf
Any other possible returning Melee cuts (Roy, Dr. Mario, Pichu, Young Link.)
All third parties (including Snake if he returns)

Now, I obviously don't think EVERYONE is coming back, but that is where I see the chips landing for those characters should they come back.
Yup
All of the hidden 4 should remain unlockable
Yup
I don't think we have to worry about them

Wolf or falco depends on if we get a star fox newcomer
Same as Ness

Ness should be unlockable
Once again depends on whether we get a newcomer
Yup
Yup
Yup
Yup
Yup
Yup
Ike should be unlockable

Last edited:

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
All of the hidden 4 should remain unlockable
Marth should be a starter too
Ike should be unlockable
Wolf or falco depends on if we get a star fox newcomer
I was working under the assumption that all revealed characters are starters for this. This may or may not be the case. Marth is almost certainly a starter, though, as he is already shown on the box art.

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
If by "everything" you mean "the Gematsu leak and nothing else", I agree. There is no official evidence of his inclusion, at all. And the second Gematsu leak is extremely tenuous.
Just a friendly reminder that before Olimar's Brawl reveal, there was no evidence of any Pikmin content in the game, but that didn't stop people from putting him on their want lists and in fake leaks. :colorful:

jweb22

Smash Apprentice
Mewtwo I agree with... but plenty of irrelevant, retro characters have been brought back for Smash. By SSB5, Issac, Chibi-Robo, Takamaru and Lip are the only four glaring omissions that would have to be fixed. One new Pokemon and a new FE rep. Still 4-6 slots. How many new series could get a rep before Ridley or K. Rool?

K. Rool probably does have to be added this game, but Ridley's iconic enough and has enough Smash history that if he isn't included this time, he'd probably be the hype newcomer for SSB5. If he isn't, then I gotta wonder what Nintendo's thinking.
The issue with K. Rool is the fact that he is no longer relevant in the DK Series. Normally when Sakurai has added a retro character from the past, that character is the main star of their own series (Ice Climbers and Pit) or they're a major part of Nintendo's history (Game & Watch and R.O.B.). Unless K. Rool gets reintroduced in a future DK game I highly doubt he'll ever be playable.

Ridley has a different problem. Right now I believe Ridley is simply a Stage Boss, but I do wish he'd be playable. Now if he is in fact a boss then he becomes a stable boss in the series as he's been one for multiple games similar to how we will most likely never be able to play as Master Hand and Crazy Hand because they are stable bosses in the series.

Ridley and K Rool have been part of Nintendo's history before the first Smash Bros game yet they still aren't playable. Thank of all the new franchises that came around and became popular. Why wouldn't that continue with new IPs down the road?

Sakurai himself said he was adding newcomers to attract a new audience to the games hence why a vast majority of the newcomers are indeed newcomers in Nintendo's history when compared to the other stable characters. I'd have to believe that will continue to be the case when the next game gets made 6-10 years from now.

Just look at this Smash game with new series:
Punch Out gets updated in 2008 - Little Mac (I highly doubt he gets in without the updated game)
Miis
Wii Fit
Animal Crossing (Became big before now but Sakurai tried to add someone in Brawl but struggled with a moveset.)
Xenoblade (most likely getting Shulk)
Rhythm Heaven (had an enemy in Smash Run most likely getting a rep)

Simply taking that information we can assume that 4-6 new IPs will become popular enough to warrant a character for the next smash game. Now lets be real for a moment, Super Mario, Pokemon and the Zelda series will most likely introduce a new character that warrants a slot on the roster so that's 3 more. StarFox is getting a new game for a 2016 release so that can warrant a new character. Kid Icarus's popularity means the possibility of a sequel so that warrants a new character. Fire Emblem will most likely have a new game with a new protaganist which warrants a new character. Bayonetta 2 could potentially sell extremely well which could demand for her inclusion as the new 3rd party character. There's also the chance that a 4th Golden Sun game gets made to finish the story or an older franchise gets the Kid Icarus/ Punch Out treatment which would warrant a character too! That's a possible 14 newcomers right there without even mentioning Ridley or K Rool.

Now understand that I'm not against their inclusion but if they don't get in this time and K Rool doesn't appear in a future DK game...then put the nail in his coffin! Ridley will always have a chance but Sakurai might just see him as a stable boss if he's not playable this time around.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
Well, I've decided to go ahead and make an incredibly optimistic roster that isn't likely to happen but is still technically feasible. So, here it is, a 57 (55 if you don't count the separate Mii Fighters) character roster.

View attachment 21654

Explanations

Paper Mario: My ideal choice for a sixth Mario character, if we were to get one (and no, I don't care that he's basically Mario). He has a lot of unique potential and could offer a lot as a representative of his own mini-series within the Mario universe. With a Paper Mario stage present on the 3DS, he may not be out of the question.

King K. Rool + Dixie Kong: I really only expect one Donkey Kong newcomer, but since this roster is optimistic, I decided to include both. I don't think these two require explanation.

Tetra: Seems like no one remembers Tetra nowadays... At this point, I think she's the most ideal choice for a sixth Zelda character, as odd as that may sound (and again, I don't care that she's technically another Zelda: she's nothing like the two forms of Zelda we already have). Basically, she's important (essentially being Toon Zelda), she's even more recent than someone like Ghirahim due to Wind Waker HD, and she has unique potential. She's also another character from the "toon" games, meaning Toon Link wouldn't be the only "toon" character on the roster. Maybe it's an unpopular opinion, but I think Tetra would be a pretty good addition to Smash.

Mewtwo: Pretty much the most popular character request, has every reason to be in Smash, slots don't matter, etc.

Rhythm Heaven Character: The Rhythm Heaven girl is just a placeholder for any Rhythm Heaven character. I think some sort of character from that series is fairly likely due to the Sneaky Spirit in Smash Run, but who it may actually be is up in the air. Could be Chorus Men, could be Marshall, could be Karate Joe... I don't know who it will be, but I think we will get someone.

So, thoughts?
Well... You see, there's Paper Mario so your roster is already g0dliek. Seriously though,

Paper Mario: I still find rather unlikely, however, the stage does indeed help his chances. If Paper Mario were to be announced, I could see the trailer revealing a Wii U stage as well. Just like in Greninja's trailer. At least I believe so. Two versions of Mario and Link in a Nintendo cross-over seems logical.

King K. Rool or Dixie Kong: Honestly, I think Dixie is a little more likely but I'd rather see King K. Rool. Which ever one isn't playable will most likely be at least an Assist Trophy.

Tetra: I'm pretty indifferent towards her. I like her as a character in Zelda, but I'm not too sure about a character in Smash, if that makes any sense. I'm mostly supporting Vaati and Demise, but that's obviously subjective.

Ridley: Honestly, I think he's just somewhat likely. I'm losing hope for him.

Mewtwo: Same as Ridley. I agree with what you said though.

Shulk: The most popular character that I actually do not care for. I couldn't care less if he was added or not. However, he seems to be the most likely Post-Brawl character as of now.

Last edited:

Nat Perry

Smash Ace
I'd be surprised if we got Krystal. I see her as viable, but not exactly likely.

I really hope we get Paper Mario though. There is so much they can do with him.

I feel like the whole K.Rool-Dixie-Toon Zelda-Tetra-Ridley-Mewtwo-Shulk-Paper Mario-Dark Pit-Rhythm Heaven character thing is all we got for what could be likely/expected. I'd be surprised to see the likes of Krystal or Impa being playable, or anyone outside that list.

Last edited:

Scamper52596

Smash Lord
Premium

View attachment 21654

Explanations

So, thoughts?
Pretty cool roster. I definitely haven't forgotten about Tetra; she's actually my number one most wanted Zelda representative. I would have no complaints if this were the final roster. With Ridley, K. Rool, and Mewtwo here, just about everyone will get something they want. Good job.

FinalStarmen

Smash Ace
If Paper Mario were to be a playable (much to my enthusiasm), I would assert he would be a secret non-trailer character. As Sakurai already stated, we are scrapping the bottom of the barrel for remaining newcomer trailers, and unless Paper Mario is alongside another newcomer in the same trailer, I do not believe he warrants one of the final ones.

Sage of Ice

Smash Ace
NNID
SageofIce
At the risk of sounding whiny, here's my unpopular opinion: though I like several of the newcomers and only really dislike one, there's none that I love yet. I was hoping to add at least one new character to my top five, but things aren't looking good for anyone I wanted. All of my Brawl favorites are back so I can't complain too much, but I'm not feeling really hopeful about the newcomers.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom