• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scamper52596

Smash Lord
Premium
I didn't realize this turned into the Unpopular Opinions thread. I guess I'll give it a shot then.
This thread will severely dislike what I have to say in about 3...

Toon Zelda will be our sixth Zelda representative. If you dig deep enough, which no one does because most don't want her on the roster, you'll find that she has the most going for her. Try your best not to hate me too much.

Last edited:

Wonks

Smash Journeyman
I'm just thinking the potential trolling Sakurai could do with tonight's tonight's Miiverse picture:

To celebrate the launch of Hyrule Warriors, the demon king himself--Ganondorf--returns to the battle! We've seen a lot of villains revealed in Smash Bros. lately. I wonder if there's any more...

The collective Ridley support fans would alternate between :eek: and :mad:.

Gold_Jacobson

Smash Journeyman
This is how the trailer might go.

:mariomelee::linkmelee::kirbymelee::foxmelee::dkmelee::falconmelee::sheikmelee::yoshimelee::samusmelee::marthmelee: are all like, "You villains are going down!"

and

:bowser2::ganondorf::wolf::warioc: are all like, "Mwwwwwahahahahah."

and they are fighting, like :mariomelee::linkmelee: :bowser2:

and :ganondorf: :marthmelee::sheikmelee::samusmelee: and then :wolf::warioc: are like all watching.

Then, :falco: Falco Commands the Fight! "Hand's off my prey!" And :diddy: is there and is all "hooowaaaheeeee!" And they start :falco::diddy::warioc::wolf:

All of this is going on and :bowser2::ganondorf: are like really winning.
:falconmelee::dkmelee::foxmelee::kirbymelee::linkmelee::mariomelee::marthmelee::samusmelee::sheikmelee::yoshimelee: are all knocked out. :falco: and :diddy:are barely standing.

:ganondorf::bowser2::wolf::warioc: all start approaching and lifts up their fists and lasers and all for the final blows...

When then, missiles, psybeems, icicles, and bacon all close in on them and then BOOOOOOM!!!!!!!!

There is a bunch of dust that starts to clear... and then you see

:popo::ness2::gw::lucas::jigglypuff::snake: "We kept ya waiting, huh?"

Last edited:

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
@ Gold_Jacobson Gold_Jacobson 's post pertaining to villains standing around & watching:
Lmfao at the villains watching, kind of reminds me of the Honest Trailer talking aboutShredder & that evil 2nd in command from TMNT: The Secret of the Ooze.:laugh::

Sage of Ice

Smash Ace
NNID
SageofIce
Hopes/predictions for the roster:

I noticed that in all three previous games, about 1/3 of the roster is locked so I went with that: 37 starters and 18 unlocks for a total of 55. Maybe a little ambitious, but who knows.

"Blatant bias?" Whatever do you mean? Just 'cause it has all my favorites on it...

RoysOurBoy

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0662-5238-5359
Hi I'm not at very frequent commentator but I'm a very frequent reader. But I've been reading a lot about peoples unpopular opinions and honestly, most of them are accurate. So I'll give it a try..

I don't think we'll see a DK newcomer. At one point I thought it was a shoo-in but now that Tropical Freeze has passed, I just don't see it happening.

~Krystal~

True American Heroine
So I can present any opinion no matter how controversial so long as it's preceded by a countdown? Okay:

I think Mewtwo will be a Masterball Pokemon, Ridley a stage boss, and King K. Rool an assist trophy. Come at me. :troll:

I noticed that in all three previous games, about 1/3 of the roster is locked so I went with that: 37 starters and 18 unlocks for a total of 55. Maybe a little ambitious, but who knows.
"Blatant bias?" Whatever do you mean? Just 'cause it has all my favorites on it...
There's just something about this roster that makes it stand out from some of the others I've seen lately. It's a keeper.

Pizzanigs

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Pizzanigs
Hi I'm not at very frequent commentator but I'm a very frequent reader. But I've been reading a lot about peoples unpopular opinions and honestly, most of them are accurate. So I'll give it a try..

I don't think we'll see a DK newcomer. At one point I thought it was a shoo-in but now that Tropical Freeze has passed, I just don't see it happening.
:crying:

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
I'm fine with this unpopular opinion meme posting, but c'mon. No one's doing the Smash Bros Announcer countdown right.:urg:

Unpopular opinion that will get disproved of in 3!. . .

2!. . .

1!. . .

GO!.
I think Diancie will be playable that will replace either, or both :jigglypuff: and / or :mewtwopm: stealing their spotlights of Fairy & Legendary status. They both will be pokeballs.:troll: Including :squirtle: & :ivysaur:. Edit: Technically :4greninja:'d by @ ~Krystal~ ~Krystal~ <3

After reviewing the roster for a fair amount of time discussing with my 7 split personalities, because I am Shinobu Sensui from Yu-Yu-Hakusho I rate your roster with a score of: :4falcon::4falcon::4falcon::4falcon::4falcon::4falcon::4falcon::4falcon: out of 10 HYESZ!
Main & only reason: Your roster has the bare minimum of 18+ playable characters. Thanks for Posting~

Last edited:

Joe D.

Smash Ace
NNID
NeroSnare
3DS FC
2552-1665-5337
I started this, so now I'm gonna end it. (Maybe.)

I think Krystal has a much higher chance than people give her, especially with the amount of characters she's outlasted.

Zynux

Smash Lord
I'm going to make this thread hate me in 3...

I've lost all faith in Ridley, and I believe he isn't going to be playable.
Understandable. My pessimism pretty much requires that I get prepared for Ridley, K. Rool and Mewtwo not making it in. I find the prospect to be highly probable, in fact, despite my obvious bias for wanting them playable.

However, it doesn't change the fact that I feel that the whole Ridley situation to me is not only very peculiar compared to other characters, but highly counter-intuitive no matter the outcome.

Toon Zelda will be our sixth Zelda representative. If you dig deep enough, which no one does because most don't want her on the roster, you'll find that she has the most going for her. Try your best not to hate me too much.
Please explain this evidence that we are clearly not "digging deep" enough for, since the only thing I can think of that's significant is evidence of her being considered in Brawl. But we have no evidence to show yet that any character intending to be in Brawl that didn't make the cut will be considered in Smash 4 (not to mention the huge time gap between Brawl's and Smash 4 release. A lot can change in that amount of time, especially now the development team has a different mindset with choosing characters now).

With that said, she's far more likely then say, Vaati and Impa, only because of the objective allusion to her possible inclusion all those years ago. But being more likely then Vaati or Impa isn't terribly difficult.

I've never discredited this possibility, no matter how unfortunate of an outcome it would be. Luckily, both Dixie and K. Rool haven't been mentioned once yet, so there is still hope.

.....I think anyone who thinks any character was/is a guarantee is out of their mind.
Fixed that for you. You can thank me later :yeahboi:

I started this, so now I'm gonna end it. (Maybe.)

I think Krystal has a much higher chance than people give her, especially with the amount of characters she's outlasted.
As someone like me who's a huge Krystal "hater", I agree completely.

Last edited:

Scamper52596

Smash Lord
Premium
Please explain this evidence that we are clearly not "digging deep" enough for, since the only thing I can think of that's significant is evidence of her being considered in Brawl. But we have no evidence to show yet that any character intending to be in Brawl that didn't make the cut will be considered in Smash 4 (not to mention the huge time gap between Brawl's and Smash 4 release. A lot can change in that amount of time, especially now the development team has a different mindset with choosing characters now).

With that said, she's far more likely then say, Vaati and Impa, only because of the objective allusion to her possible inclusion all those years ago. But being more likely then Vaati or Impa isn't terribly difficult.
I'll direct you to the middle of page 1,255 (fifteen pages back) where I presented most of what I think makes Toon Zelda a likely inclusion to someone who also asked me to do so. She definitely has more going for her than people tend to think. Also characters have always been chosen in a similar way. Not much has really changed in the way they chose characters for Brawl, and the way they've been choosing them now.

~Krystal~

True American Heroine
In all seriousness, Goku would be a quality newcomer. It's a shame he's from an anime. I have a feeling if that if he were to be added, they'd go with the child version of his character from the original Dragon Ball.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
You know I've come to accept Dark Pit as a possibility, and might even end up liking him as his own unique character, but I really don't want him to be the focus of any major announcement at all, especially not a trailer of his own (I mean to me at least it would be the most anti-climactic trailer considering we're this close to release). However as a part of another bigger trailer or in a PoTD would be perfectly alright with me. Congrats Dark Pit fans, you've officially won me over, just don't give him his own trailer!

D

Deleted member

You know I've come to accept Dark Pit as a possibility, and might even end up liking him as his own unique character, but I really don't want him to be the focus of any major announcement at all, especially not a trailer of his own (I mean to me at least it would be the most anti-climactic trailer considering we're this close to release). However as a part of another bigger trailer or in a PoTD would be perfectly alright with me. Congrats Dark Pit fans, you've officially won me over, just don't give him his own trailer!
Welcome to the pit of darkness. We've been expecting you.

Last edited by a moderator:

Zhadgon

Smash Lord
NNID
Zhadgon
At this point I only want Ice Climbers back, thinking about Ridley and King K. Rool gives me headache, both characters that I want to be in this Smash but by now highly unlikely, especially King K. Rool and the Ridley situation has been so long that I don't care anymore and only want a confirmation or deconfirmation for the character.

.n_n.

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
At this point I only want Ice Climbers back, thinking about Ridley and King K. Rool gives me headache, both characters that I want to be in this Smash but by now highly unlikely, especially King K. Rool and the Ridley situation has been so long that I don't care anymore and only want a confirmation or deconfirmation for the character.

.n_n.
Ice Climbers & only Ice Climbers? Idk about all that funky jazz you're playing but it's cool to play a different tune with flats giving you that headache. No worries just have a decent point of view. :4pacman:

But only wanting :popo: & not :falco::ganondorf::ivysaur::jigglypuff::lucas::gw::ness2::pt::rob::sheilda::troll::snake::squirtle::wario: or :wolf:, is heavily depressing & makes me sulk, cogitating just how insayian you are.

But then I can't have any ill feelings or emotions toward you when you throw out dat face. My troubles all went away.
.n_n.

Last edited:

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
I have an unpopular opinion. Thanks to a Smash Bros dream I had weeks ago, I want Venusaur to be a newcomer(or just Ivysaur evolved). It is a female rep right?

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
I have an unpopular opinion. Thanks to a Smash Bros dream I had weeks ago, I want Venusaur to be a newcomer(or just Ivysaur evolved). It is a female rep right?
It's your dream. You can want Venusaur to have whichever gender you want it to be~

As far as the genders Ivysaur was in Brawl / PM, yes it is a female, according to Famitsu & the PMBR.

Last edited:

Zhadgon

Smash Lord
NNID
Zhadgon
Ice Climbers & only Ice Climbers? Idk about all that funky jazz you're playing but it's cool to play a different tune with flats give you that headache. No worries just have a decent point of view. :4pacman:

But only wanting :popo: & not :falco::ganondorf::ivysaur::jigglypuff::lucas::gw::ness2::pt::rob::sheilda::troll::snake::squirtle::wario: or :wolf:, is heavily depressing & makes me sulk, cogitating just how insayian you are.

But then I can't have any ill feelings or emotions toward you when you throw out dat face. My troubles all went away.
.n_n.
Hehe... for now I´m expecting :falco::ganondorf::jigglypuff::gw::ness2::rob::wario: so those characters are in Smash 4, the only ones that are iffy in making it would be :lucas::wolf: where by now I am not expecting at all :squirtle::ivysaur::snake:.
I really want to see :popo: in glorious HD.

So thats why. :p

.n_n.

Zynux

Smash Lord
I'm going to assume you were referring to this post:
I think the biggest thing is that we know that she was considered to be in Brawl. That to me makes it seem like she might get considered again due to the fact that a big game involving her (Spirit Tracks) has since released. She could also be used to market the Wind Waker HD. If the Wii U version gets a Wind Waker stage, Toon Zelda could be there to represent a Zelda stage on both versions.
As stated earlier, this is the only evidence I agree is "significant", but I question how significant it really is. I don't remember Spirit Tracks being all that big of game, and it doesn't help that it was released all the way back in 2009, and thus instead we've been getting tons of Skyward Sword content. As for marketing potential for Wind Waker HD, I don't believe Toon Zelda has marketing potential at all; why use her to market a game that has not only long been released, but that Toon Link himself markets just fine? Even further, why use Toon Zelda to "rep" the Wind Waker stages if Toon Link can already do that just fine?

I posted a thought I had in the Toon Zelda thread a few days ago after I saw the Phantom Trophy in the Pic of the Day. I think that it's very possible that the Phantom model used in the Trophy could be the model that Toon Zelda would use for her version of the Phantom Slash move. My reasoning being that it resembles the Phantom that Toon Zelda would use in Spirit Tracks, and they could have just used the model that Zelda's Phantom Slash uses, but they created another model for the trophy instead.
But couldn't this also be interpreted as somewhat worrisome for Toon Zelda? Especially after Spirit Tracks, if they wanted to add Toon Zelda as a character with some deviations, having her playstyle based off of her Phantom Assists was the obvious method of doing so. Yet instead they threw the phantom on Zelda herself, despite that incarnation of Zelda having little connection to summoning Phantoms.

I can understand the logic that possibly Zelda using Phantoms at all could be a nod to the Phantom Zelda games (and, in turn, pertain to maybe Toon Zelda) but relegating such an obvious method of attacking for Zelda (and using the similar design for possessed Phantoms) to instead of Toon Zelda doesn't make me hopeful.

Speaking of Zelda, have you noticed that many have been complaining about nerfs and changes that they gave her in Smash 4? You know that people also complained about Marth feeling nerfed in certain areas as well? Guess what we got a few weeks later. That's right. A Marth clone in the form of Lucina. I feel as if they changed up Zelda in too many areas that wasn't necessary. My theory is that she might be receiving a better air game, while Toon Zelda receives a better ground game, assuming she's on the roster.
Zelda wasn't meant to be "nerfed", and there were even PoTD's highlighting her buffs. It's obvious that the developers wanted to have Zelda stand out as her own character in this game, especially since Sheik always overshadowed her. Thus, after all that it seems counter intuitve to intentionally nerf a character that desperately needed buffs in many areas just so that Toon Zelda could acquire slightly different attributes of her.

Lastly, there are so many reasons people say that certain, more popular Zelda candidates won't get in. Ghirahim being in one Zelda game, Vaati not being relevant anymore, Ganon being just a Final Smash. I've seen almost no arguments that goes against Toon Zelda's potential inclusion, besides the regular three Zeldas being too many. Even that is just a conjecture. I have some more points, but I think you get the gist of it. The pieces of the puzzle are there, but nobody wants to put them together.
To be fair, the only possibly candidate here that has a stumbling block is Ganon, since he needs to graduate from a Final Smash to be a fighter (presumably), but Ghirahim and Vaati, even though I find them unlikely, I don't believe that have all that much more against them then Toon Zelda. And that's only because she was planned for Brawl, which gives her a slight edge.

Last edited:

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
Hehe... for now I´m expecting :falco::ganondorf::jigglypuff::gw::ness2::rob::wario: so those characters are in Smash 4, the only ones that are iffy in making it would be :lucas::wolf: where by now I am not expecting at all :squirtle::ivysaur::snake:.
I really want to see :popo: in glorious HD.

So thats why. :p

.n_n.
Thanks hotness. The nearing pinnacle of Smash Four's major confirming, and major ostracizing is drawing near. Your overall expectations are decent or perhaps above decent so again, another face left undone .n_n.

Miiverse updated. We got some custom moves. Including Beat!
Nice! Now if we can get Eddie to be in MegaMan's custom move-set somewhere!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom