• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

~Krystal~

True American Heroine
Stepping into crazycrazyland for a moment...

If we lived in a world where Sony and Microsoft got representation (one playable character each) in Smash Bros, who would you want it to be?

Personally I'd go for Kat & Dusty from Gravity Rush (Sony) and Banjo & Kazooie from Banjo Kazooie (Microsoft)

Nobody should take this question too seriously by the way. I'm aware it would never ever happen.
Ratchet and Clank from Sony. Banjo-Kazooie from Microsoft.

Morbi

Scavenger
Here's my reasoning for not wanting Dark Pit, he's about as much of a clone as you can get, he has no differences compared to Pit. Let me compare him to Shadow the Hedgehog(I don't want him in, but here me out), Shadow, at first glance, is a Dark Sonic, but he has a whole lot of different moves compared to Sonic, namely, his Chaos powers. Dark Pit is pretty much Pit gone Goth, when you played as him, he had no differences to Pit at all. If he gets in, I pretty much expect the same. A Dark Pit costume with different voice clips is perfect though.
This is not directed at you personally; however, I always found the self-referential incoherence of, "Dark Pit is literally a clone, so instead of being a clone character, he should be an alternate costume" quite humorous. It makes me chortle as I sip my tea, little finger thoroughly extended. If Dark Pit is indeed a costume, I expect purple effects on his up-special; if not, Sakurai is going to get hate-mail from my email account, IloveDarkPit@Gmail.com.

Last edited:

TerminalMontage

Smash Ace
NNID
TerminalMontage
How about Dark Link? :awesome:
Well i don't know, do you guys think that, in the event of both Lucas and Ness's return, there could a possibility for a third mother rep?, would you be against or in favor of the idea?
I hope Lucas gets cut, but they throw POO in instead :)

~Krystal~

True American Heroine
Sorry to say, but there's 2 Mother characters I would rather have other than Lucas. Namely Jeff Andonuts and Paula Polestar.
*Puts up PSI Shield*

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I hope Lucas gets cut, but they throw POO in instead :)
Poo was more or less a combination of Ness and Paula, only difference being he has PK Starstorm... which is already taken by Ness AND Lucas, in that way I see Paula as the far superior choice, even if she didn't come out of a butt.

I don't really think a third Mother rep would work unless it's Porky honestly, he appears in both Mother 2 and Mother 3 as the primary villain, and he could be our first mech character with all sorts of cool abilities. Having another character from any of the hero squads wouldn't really work imo as certain characters are rarely more important than each other, otherwise it's mostly just Ninten/Ness/Lucas & Friends. As for Ninten, he looks waaaaaaay too much like Ness, he makes Dark Pit look flashy and new, plus he's primarily a support character too.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
Sorry to say, but there's 2 Mother characters I would rather have other than Lucas. Namely Jeff Andonuts and Paula Polestar.
*Puts up PSI Shield*
Paula "Polestar," her name is "Polestar"? I suppose you can add me to her list of supporters.

For some reason, I'm slowly starting to become a bit more interested on the idea of Jeff Andonuts being playable in Smash...
I feel the same way about Paula Polestar. However, I would enjoy Jeff just as much. I would hate to say it, but both would be better choices than Ness.

I cannot deny Lucas, that hair resonates with me.

Khoru

Smash Champion
i find the idea of paula/jeff/whoever that's not porky or giygas replacing lucas sort of ridiculous
it's... it's like replacing ike with caeda

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
This is not directed at you personally; however, I always found the self-referential incoherence of, "Dark Pit is literally a clone, so instead of being a clone character, he should be an alternate costume" quite humorous. It makes me chortle as I sip my tea, little finger thoroughly extended. If Dark Pit is indeed a costume, I expect purple effects on his up-special; if not, Sakurai is going to get hate-mail from my email account, IloveDarkPit@Gmail.com.
I'm sure that would be perfectly possible. Sakurai has said that as long as the mechanics of a character do not change then they will remain an alternate costume. Adding purple effects to Pits attacks wouldn't change how he's played. As long as Dark Pit plays identically to Pit, then he can have whatever visual effects you want.

I expect Dark Pit to be an alternate costume for Pit that gets his own voice and name.

Last edited:

CoolEric258

Smash Cadet
Hey guys, honest question here. Should I replace Vaati on my roster for Impa, or keep my identity and keep Vaati on my roster?
Do whatever you want brah. If you think Vaati has a chance, go on ahead. It's more likely than my wants (why won't the Groose get loose? Why can't JonTron ECH in battle?!)
And as for character reveals, my prediction is this: either a general direct reveal as well as a Smash 3DS-exclusive direct, or a Smash 3DS-exclusive direct itself. After all, Nintendo almost always has a game-exclusive direct a month before release, mainly for Japan. Animal Crossing: New Leaf, Pikmin 3, Wonderful 101, Pokemon X/Y, Wii Fit U, Monster Hunter 4, Mario Kart 8, and Hyrule Warriors. But that's just how I see things.

As for who would get revealed...I dunno. Maybe it's Dark Pit. Maybe it's Sceptile. Maybe it's Ridley. Maybe it's K. Rool. Maybe it's Mewtwo. Maybe it's Shulk. Maybe it's Chorus Men. Maybe it's Groose. Maybe it's Ghirahim. Maybe it's Jontron. Maybe it's Splatoon Girl. Maybe it's me. Maybe it's YOU!!

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
It also has to do with the fact that I don't think Kid Icarus needs a third character. I really enjoyed Uprising, but I don't it deserves a third character, and if they add one and said addition is a clone, I would be disappointed. I don't want to make it sound like I hate Dark Pit, because I don't. I just think he would be better off as a costume with different voice clips and other minor details.

Morbi

Scavenger
I'm sure that would be perfectly possible. Sakurai has said that as long as the mechanics of a character do not change then they will remain an alternate costume. Adding purple effects to Pits attacks wouldn't change how he's played. As long as Dark Pit plays identically to Pit, then he can whatever visual tweaks you want.

I expect Dark Pit to be an alternate costume for Pit that gets his own voice and name.
Adding purple effects to Dark Pit's costume would change that way Pit plays to me (instant main). Colors are important.

Do whatever you want brah. If you think Vaati has a chance, go on ahead. It's more likely than my wants (why won't the Groose get loose? Why can't JonTron ECH in battle?!)
And as for character reveals, my prediction is this: either a general direct reveal as well as a Smash 3DS-exclusive direct, or a Smash 3DS-exclusive direct itself. After all, Nintendo almost always has a game-exclusive direct a month before release, mainly for Japan. Animal Crossing: New Leaf, Pikmin 3, Wonderful 101, Pokemon X/Y, Wii Fit U, Monster Hunter 4, Mario Kart 8, and Hyrule Warriors. But that's just how I see things.

As for who would get revealed...I dunno. Maybe it's Dark Pit. Maybe it's Sceptile. Maybe it's Ridley. Maybe it's K. Rool. Maybe it's Mewtwo. Maybe it's Shulk. Maybe it's Chorus Men. Maybe it's Groose. Maybe it's Ghirahim. Maybe it's Jontron. Maybe it's Splatoon Girl. Maybe it's me. Maybe it's YOU!!
Thank you for listing Dark Pit first; I like you, I like you a lot.

Last edited:

Niala

Smash Ace
To be honest the only way I would accept losing Lucas would be if he was replaced by Jeff.

Because then I could play as myself (Mii) fighting against myself (Jeff.) And that would be awesome.

~Krystal~

True American Heroine
I wish I hadn't submitted a firm roster prediction already. Dark Pit would have been in my new one and senpai would have finally noticed me...

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
It depends if the Darkness effect has any additional properties, I can't recall any additional effects it did have though, probably doesn't. Guess I should look that up.

I do know that effect's such as Fire can cause some additional things such as instantaneously blowing up blast boxes, not effecting red Pikmin and thawing frozen characters etc.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
I cannot deny Lucas, that hair resonates with me.
Perhaps you should support Claus, then? He'd be an easy alternate-costume-made-clone like Lucina and theoretically Dark Pit, and you'd get more of that resonating hair.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I'm sure that would be perfectly possible. Sakurai has said that as long as the mechanics of a character do not change then they will remain an alternate costume. Adding purple effects to Pits attacks wouldn't change how he's played. As long as Dark Pit plays identically to Pit, then he can have whatever visual effects you want.

Where's the source of this? I only recall him saying as long as the character functioned even at the slightest difference, they can get their own roster spot and that different characters can be made into an alt., I don't remember the "as long as the mechanics of a character do not change then they will remain an alternate costume" part at all.

RouffWestie

Smash Lord
Here's an idea. Pit obviously gone through many changes since Brawl. But what if some Pit mains don't like the way new Pit plays and end up hating him?
Dark Pit could basically be an unchanged Brawl version of Pit to appeal to these players.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
I suppose I just have a hard time believing that the genius who went with Robin would turn around and include an independent newcomer who has the exact same model (let's not pretend it isn't) as an existing character.

The whole situation just puts a bad taste in my mouth.....

Weeman

Smash Crusader
I suppose I just have a hard time believing that the genius who went with Robin would turn around and include an independent newcomer who has the exact same model (let's not pretend it isn't) as an existing character.

The whole situation just puts a bad taste in my mouth.....
*cough* Lucina *cough*

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Here's an idea. Pit obviously gone through many changes since Brawl. But what if some Pit mains don't like the way new Pit plays and end up hating him?
Dark Pit could basically be an unchanged Brawl version of Pit to appeal to these players.
I think he could end up keeping his Side-B just at horizontal 180 degree angle to stay true to the KI:U gameplay. I don't see Sakurai keeping the Mirror Shield, as Pit already uses it for his FS so it's pretty likely it will not be Brawl Pit's Down-Spec. Dark Pit's Staff could be his Neutral-B, and I think it's likely Pittoo will just keep SSB4 Pit's Up Special. That's what I see as likely happening.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

It appears that everyone who supports Dark Pits inclusion like each other. Dark Pit must be the key to friendship. I already support him, but I think it's time to move him to the top of my most wanted list anyway.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
Where's the source of this? I only recall him saying as long as the character functioned even at the slightest difference, they can get their own roster spot and that different characters can be made into an alt., I don't remember the "as long as the mechanics of a character do not change then they will remain an alternate costume" part at all.
That's exactly what I meant. (maybe I didn't word it well)

If the mechanics (i.e moveset, move effects, hitboxes etc) of Dark Pit are the same as the mechanics of Pit then Dark Pit can be an alternate costume for Pit. (i.e if the mechanics of Dark Pit haven't changed from the original Pit mechanics)

Last edited:

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
So basically make an incomplete character that relies on being passive due to the lackluster moveset, which let me remind you contradicts Dark Pit's character of being the more aggressive one and the part about that moveset being incomplete and lame should never be a highlight.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
This thread has made me love Dark Pit. It is so fun supporting a character that everyone resents, a character that no one can refute. The only responses are denials or opinions on the character, it makes me tremble with excitement.
I think this is why this thread makes people hate Dark Pit.

Weeman

Smash Crusader
This thread has made me love Dark Pit. It is so fun supporting a character that everyone resents, a character that no one can refute. The only responses are denials or opinions on the character, it makes me tremble with excitement.
You stole my line, i was literally typing the same thing... well maybe just the first part :awesome:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom