• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rebellious Treecko

Smash Hero
"Smash has too many Nintendo characters. Where's my Naruto, Spongebob, Ichigo, and Tails? It's like they have a bias or something."

Oh, um, and I don't really care if there are penis Miis. I still think the Miis should be customizable in appearance and weight.

As for Chrom, I'm not sure if he should be by himself, or paired up with Lucina. Both choices can be unique.

Venus made a moveset for Chrom that I used to link to.

-----

Last edited:

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
What would Mii's iconic move be (which is usually regulated to B)?

I would have picked Bowling Ball.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Smash has too many Nintendo characters. Where's my Naruto, Spongebob, Ichigo, and Tails?
Oh, um, and I don't really care if there are penis Miis. I still think the Miis should be customizable in appearance and weight.
As for Chrom, I'm not sure if he should be by himself, or paired up with Lucina. Both choices can be unique.
-----
I feel Lucina could be by herself.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
We should get a Kitchen Sink item.

The effect/use that it has is totally random (Attack? Status? Heal? SD?), and you'll only find out when you pick it up. :troll:
Please use the item threads to discuss potential items.

D

Deleted member

I apologize, I was mistaken. I recall a discussion where someone asserted that Animal Crossing didn't have anything to do with Bowling. I suppose, with the omission of boxing gloves and the presumption that Bowling wasn't alluded to in Animal Crossing, I associated the items with Wii Sports.
Understandable; I was under the same assertion until I found out about the Ball Return, which I never saw get brought up as a counterpoint.

Morbi

Scavenger
Smash has too many Nintendo characters. Where's my Naruto, Spongebob, Ichigo, and Tails?

-----
I don't know, Chrom and Lucina will always be more unique than just Chrom (inherently). Both can be unique, but you could just as easily make that unique solo Chrom with Lucina.

I don't want him to have a sword, especially if it's the Sword of Sages.
I would rather he has a physical and magic based moveset.
As do I, as do I. In fact, I would rather they keep him Falcondorf.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I don't know, Chrom and Lucina will always be more unique than just Chrom (inherently). Both can be unique, but you could just as easily make that unique solo Chrom with Lucina.
I don't exactly agree that the duo thing inherently makes it more unique. For example, my go-to example is that Chrom can get in with a stance set. A stance switcher is something that Smash hasn't seen yet. Meanwhile, there are other types of tagteams already in Smash. Admittedly, there are other ways to do tagteams, but it would require much more resources.

Morbi

Scavenger
I don't exactly agree that the duo thing inherently makes it more unique. For example, my go-to example is that Chrom can get in with a stance set. A stance switcher is something that Smash hasn't seen yet. Meanwhile, there are other types of tagteams already in Smash. Admittedly, there are other ways to do tagteams, but it would require much more resources.
I suppose that is correct. I hadn't really thought of a stance set for Chrom, that is obviously the basis for a tag-team, but I never really applied it to him individually.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
We were talking about Miis before. Would you rather we go back to them?

I'm not looking forward to when all this FE madness comes to a head; whatever happens there's going to be a lot of anger and even dumber theories than we have now. Especially if we get Chrom before Ike.
Don't forget about the epic Rye vs Corn debates! In the hypothetical event that Chrom gets revealed...boy, it will be the best of times.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I suppose that is correct. I hadn't really thought of a stance set for Chrom, that is obviously the basis for a tag-team, but I never really applied it to him individually.
In my opinion, a stance set just makes sense for Chrom, haha. After all, one of Fire Emblem's core mechanics is using different weapons tactically to ensure victory, and that hasn't been seen in Smash yet. Since Chrom gets natural access to both swords and lances, I think it works well for him.

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
Well, I don't know about a stance style for Chrom, but I did design my own design for Chrom that could make his sword style work differently to make him his own character...

Chrom:
Gameplay Ability: Exalt’s Blade (Chrom’s Blade, the Falchion, wields the special ability to be cloaked in a mystical blue light, almost as if catching the wind itself, and with this, some of Chrom’s attacks can have push and vacuum effects to push away or pull in opponents. Attacks that can pull in opponents will be marked with # and attacks that will push opponents away are marked with $)

Standard A Combo: Exalt scissors (x2, 10% total, strikes twice with a pair of horizontal slices, the second one reaching slightly farther than the first)

Forward + A: Arching Falchion (Will swing his blade in an upward vertical arch, dealing damage with decent range. 10% $)

Up + A: Piercing Strike (Will thrust upward into the air, cloaked in light. 11% #)

Down + A: Ankle Slice (A wide horizontal slice while crouching, range is above average for crouching attacks. 9%)

Dash Attack: Exalted Thrust (A quick piercing thrust while dashing, does high damage against shields. 9% #)

Aerial Attacks:

Neutral A: Blinding Falchion (A spinning aerial attack, striking on both sides and hitting twice, the light from the blade giving a bit extra range. 14% total $)

Forward + A: Piercing Lance (Switches to Lance, reaches forward to strike with better range, 13%)

Up + A: Arching Slash (Swings vertically and strikes in an arch. 11%)

Backward + A: Reversing Lance (Swings around and strikes behind with lance, giving very good range. 13%)

Down + A: Exalted Comet (Swings downward in an arch, able to meteor smash opponent, 12%)

Smash Attacks:
Forward Smash: Exalt’s Slash (Will kneel down with blade gaining energy, then do a small dash forward to then do a long horizontal slash. 28%)

Up Smash: Luna (Wielding a Lance, will do a powerful thrusting strike up into the air. Has good range, 25%)

Down Smash: Falchion Circlet (Will strike on both sides, dealing more damage behind then in front. 25% $)

Grab/Throws:
Grab: Grabs with free hand

Pummel: Knees the opponent (3%)

Front Throw: Slashes the opponent away (9%)

Down Throw: Hits the opponent onto the ground with the blunt of his sword’s handle (7%)

Back Throw: Will go behind opponent and slash them away (10%)

Up Throw: Tosses the opponent upward (5%)

Special Moves:
Standard Special: Aether

Ike may already wield the aether ability, but Chrom uses it very differently. Chrom’s use of Aether is that of a charge attack which can allow Chrom to do a long dashing slash attack, being able to pierce right through opponents. This attack is also capable of healing 10% damage if charged to its maximum level, and since it can pierce through opponents, can possibly heal up to 30% damage per attack, making it very effective. 28% max, heals 10% per slash at maximum charge.

Side Special: Falchion Eagle

A move seen in the cutscene battle against Chrom and Marth, Chrom will leap up into the air and perform a spinning slash down into the ground, damaging opponents on the way down. By holding the B button during the attack’s start-up, Chrom can hold himself in the air, which can give him a moment to change his trajectory. This attack moves fast, so it’s very good at breaking into crowds of already battling opponents. 17% max

Up Special: Ascension Blade

His blade cloaked in light, Chrom will do a high slashing jump into the air then come down with a piercing blow, which can catch opponents under it to deal damage. This attack acts as a two part attack, but unlike Ike’s Aether, it cannot catch the opponent in one state and continue until the end of the attack. 15% total

Down Special: Counter

The other members of the Fire Emblem series use this stapled move, and since it’s a staple, Chrom uses it as well. Chrom’s counter gives the best responsive range, getting a bit extra distance thanks to his blade being cloaked in light, but has the lowest overall knockback, which can also be an advantage as it is easier to follow up with more attacks. 10%

Final Smash: The Twin Falchions

Fire Emblem Awakening introduced many new mechanics to the Fire Emblem franchise, but the most important one was the ability to fight in pairs, and Chrom’s final smash takes advantage of this. Chrom will do a dashing slash forward to stun an opponent(s) to set up his final smash. If Chrom’s attack hits, he will summon his daughter, Lucina to the field, who will assist Chrom in a sword combo before delivering a final blow to blast the opponent away. Upon finishing their combo, Lucina will disappear. 45% total, high knockback

Color Scheme:

#1: Navy Blue/White, Blue Hair (Standard Chrom)

#2: Dark Red/White, Red hair (Sully)
#3: Dark Green/White, Brown Hair (Stahl)

#4: Golden Yellow/White, Blonde Hair (Lissa)

#5: Aqua Blue/Grey, Brown Hair (Fredrick)

#6: Great Lord Chrom

Taunts:

#1: Will spin his sword in his hand

#2: Will sheath his sword, saying “You fight well”

#3: Falchion will gleam with light, saying “This fight isn’t over yet”

Victory Circle:
#1: Chrom will spin his blade, then plant in the ground as he says “I will protect Ylisse, no what!”

#2: Chrom will Cross his arms, his blade already sheathed, as he says “Well fought, warrior”.

#3: Chrom will put his hand on his blade’s handle, looking up as he says “I cannot afford to lose, I’m sorry.”

Morbi

Scavenger
We were talking about Miis before. Would you rather we go back to them?

Don't forget about the epic Rye vs Corn debates! In the hypothetical event that Chrom gets revealed...boy, it will be the best of times.
There are always pessimists when someone gets revealed, I remember that a user was disheartened by Dedede because he thought that his inclusion attenuated Meta Knight's chances. I couldn't believe it, maybe he was just trolling.

The point is... in the hypothetical event that Roy gets revealed... boy, it will be the best of times.
... in the hypothetical event that Ike gets revealed... boy, it will be the best of times.
... in the hypothetical event that Lyn gets revealed... boy, it will be the best of times.

See what I mean? It could apply to any Fire Emblem character, really. :awesome:

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
In my opinion, a stance set just makes sense for Chrom, haha. After all, one of Fire Emblem's core mechanics is using different weapons tactically to ensure victory, and that hasn't been seen in Smash yet. Since Chrom gets natural access to both swords and lances, I think it works well for him.
By why is this unique to Chrom? Secondly, this Lance is not a huge part of his character so I highly doubt it would ever be more than one special unfortunately.

D

Deleted member

As do I, as do I. In fact, I would rather they keep him Falcondorf.
I'm rather strange; I'd prefer if he didn't get a sword unless it's only for a move or two, but not be Captain Ganon.
I'd rather Black Shadow be added and inherit the Captain Ganon style while Ganondorf becomes Akumadorf instead.

Morbi

Scavenger
By why is this unique to Chrom? Secondly, this Lance is not a huge part of his character so I highly doubt it would ever be more than one special unfortunately.
Not unique to Chrom in the Fire Emblem context. Unique in the context of roster diversity. No one in Smash has an individual stance swap as of current, so if they ascribe that to Chrom, he has his own aspect of creativity (like Mac's power meter). I mean, power meters aren't exclusive to Little Mac, but it is what many cite as the reason that he is unique. If Chrom did swap to a Lance move-set, it wouldn't be attributed to just one special. That is the entire point of a stance swap. That being said, I do agree. Lances aren't a huge part of his character, they might (and probably will) just stick to swordplay.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
How about we switch the subject?

Which character do you think will be revealed as a newcomer in April?
Personally I'm placing my bets on Takamaru, because his game has an anniversary in that month and Mac was similarly revealed for the anniversary of Punch-Out.
Probably somebody random in that occurrence that we don't expect, so no anniversary adherences or the like.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Just for fun, does anyone feel like doing what we did during the lead-up to Pokemon X and Y and create hastag teams for who we think would be the next newcomer revealed?

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Not unique to Chrom in the Fire Emblem context. Unique in the context of roster diversity. No one in Smash has an individual stance swap as of current, so if they ascribe that to Chrom, he has his own aspect of creativity (like Mac's power meter). I mean, power meters aren't exclusive to Little Mac, but it is what many cite as the reason that he is unique. If Chrom did swap to a Lance move-set, it wouldn't be attributed to just one special. That is the entire point of a stance swap. That being said, I do agree. Lances aren't a huge part of his character, they might (and probably will) just stick to swordplay.
I don't think a character will be given something insignificant because it's the only way to make them unique in any sense whatsoever.

Morbi

Scavenger
I'm rather strange; I'd prefer if he didn't get a sword unless it's only for a move or two, but not be Captain Ganon.
I'd rather Black Shadow be added and inherit the Captain Ganon style while Ganondorf becomes Akumadorf instead.
You make a compelling argument, good sir. I would enjoy nothing more, that would truly be a dream come true.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
As Morbid said, it would be unique in the context of Smash. And while not hugely important to his character, it is notable that it's the weapon gained through Chrom's main line of classes.

Secondly, it fits pretty well, I'd say. Chrom's the leader archetype for Awakening's Shepherds. He's always in the front line, but has to be smart with how he approaches the situation. He has to set a standard for his men, after all. Plus, it's a great way to showcase one of Fire Emblem's signature mechanics in Smash.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
As Morbid said, it would be unique in the context of Smash. And while not hugely important to his character, it is notable that it's the weapon gained through Chrom's main line of classes.

Secondly, it fits pretty well, I'd say. Chrom's the leader archetype for Awakening's Shepherds. He's always in the front line, but has to be smart with how he approaches the situation. He has to set a standard for his men, after all. Plus, it's a great way to showcase one of Fire Emblem's signature mechanics in Smash.
K. But, it's most likely not happening because it's not significant or notable enough to his character.

It's a neat idea, but not a good prediction.

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
On a related note, doesn't the "It's always FUN to kill a god!" quote for Akuma fit Ganondorf oh so well? :awesome:
It does somewhat, although wouldn't Ganondorf almost be considered a God himself thanks to the fact that he commands immense powers of the Gods?

Speaking of which, I may try to make an Akumadorf moveset sometime soon. Powerful, semi-quick and overall just crushingly powerful. Let's just hope this doesn't also apply to having horrible health.

Morbi

Scavenger
I don't think a character will be given something insignificant because it's the only way to make them unique in any sense whatsoever.
I agree with this sentiment, @ Opossum Opossum was merely correcting me as I asserted that Chrom would be inherently more unique with Lucina by his side (as I was operating under the assumption that any unique Chrom with an additional character/play-style would be more unique than just the individual). However, he stated that a stance swap would be a way for Chrom to be more unique on his own (thus refuting my proclamation). I don't necessarily believe that they will give a character something utterly insignificant just to make them unique either. I still believe that a stance swap Chrom is plausible, but they would most likely utilize his swordplay in varying ways.

That being said, I wouldn't mind a lance character. It sounds really fun, there is no one truly suitable to implement with a lance though. Unfortunate.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
YUS THE MII DISCUSSION IS STILL RECENT ENOUGH FOR ME TO TALK ABOUT IT!

alright just got back from school

I wouldn't mind miis. honestly, it would be cool to see myself take on characters like Ridley and Little Mac.

the only character I HATE is Pac-Man, but I've stated my reasons already. everyone else is just a "meh" or higher.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
It's pretty much like giving Falco the Bazooka from Star Fox Assault solely to be unique to the context of Smash.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Chrom is my favorite topic, besides Roy.

It's pretty much like giving Falco the Bazooka from Star Fox Assault solely to be unique to the context of Smash.
And how is this bad?

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I'd argue it's quite a bit different. Falco's a veteran, and as such, already has a base to go off of.

Chrom is a potential newcomer. As we've seen, Sakurai's been making the newcomers as unique as possible this time around. Chrom's a popular character. Sakurai likely sees that, and will try to make him as compelling as possible (as with any other newcomer, of course) if he is to be included. That being said, I don't think a stance set is out of the question for Chrom, especially when weapon-switching is a key aspect of Fire Emblem.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I hope you guys aren't ignoring my opinion :(

"I think Lucina has more potential to be unique than Chrom.

Firstly, Chrom is somewhat meant to be a fusion of elements of Marth and other FE lords (since Awakening is reinventing the series), while Lucina, while bearing a Marth disguise, has a unique backstory and motives from Marth.

I also think that her standard moves would be different too, due to the unique way she wields her sword. Her specials could be based off
of different Skills from Awakening, for example, as dashing stab based on Luna.

The biggest thing, however, is the Marth disguise. I think that having the ability to swap between normal Lucina and disguised Lucina, each with unique sword attacks and properties, would be really cool and would represent the "stance character" everyone talks about.

And she's female! Girl power!"

Last edited:

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
It's just hard to even imagine Sakurai looking at Chrom and thinking "Oh, yeah! This character would bring a lot to the game." I would imagine Sakurai would take somebody who is ALREADY promising. Not that he has to MAKE promising.

And picking such an unimportant character over say the Avatar who is promising and most certainly going to become a staple in the franchise? No.

I don't see what's so special about Chrom. I don't think the game being popular is anything unique about him and popular request doesn't really mean anything considering how many other characters are requested and more than him.

And again, he's not unique to begin with. He's only unique when people improvise using stuff that isn't even notable.

Morbi

Scavenger
Am I the only one that would find that completely and utterly awesome? :awesome:

YUS THE MII DISCUSSION IS STILL RECENT ENOUGH FOR ME TO TALK ABOUT IT!

alright just got back from school

I wouldn't mind miis. honestly, it would be cool to see myself take on characters like Ridley and Little Mac.

the only character I HATE is Pac-Man, but I've stated my reasons already. everyone else is just a "meh" or higher.
I don't actually HATE any characters. I will be content with whatever characters are on the roster. I just don't necessarily enjoy the play-style some characters are more often than not ascribed. Miis, for instance, are essentially destined to be "everything and the kitchen sink" characters. You would have to essentially blatantly disregard that archetype and concert efforts into making a cohesive move-set. Dixie Kong, she is a great character and I don't mind her. However, she is a character similar to Diddy Kong. Thus, when you look at the character, you say, "how can I make her different?" While, if you look at the other candidate, King K. Rool, you state, "there is no way I can make him the same." That is my issue with certain characters, not the actual characters themselves. Their archetypes.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
I'd argue it's quite a bit different. Falco's a veteran, and as such, already has a base to go off of.
I don't think it makes a difference if you're a veteran or a newcomer. Like at all. It's still the same thing.

Especially if you're implying that being a newcomer makes you less likely to be a semi-clone. That is simply not true.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
It's just hard to even imagine Sakurai looking at Chrom and thinking "Oh, yeah! This character would bring a lot to the game." I would imagine Sakurai would take somebody who is ALREADY promising. Not that he has to MAKE promising.

And picking such an unimportant character over say the Avatar who is promising and most certainly going to become a staple in the franchise? No.

I don't see what's so special about Chrom. I don't think the game being popular is anything unique about him and popular request doesn't really mean anything considering how many other characters are requested and more than him.

And again, he's not unique to begin with. He's only unique when people improvise using stuff that isn't even notable.
"I don't really like Chrom"

That's all you had to say, you know.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Couldn't the same be said for Rosalina and Wii Fit Trainer? At least Chrom has more appeal as a Smash character, going by popularity polls. I have no doubt in my mind that Sakurai could make Chrom unique.

Chrom's not unimportant. He's Awakening's main character, alongside Robin. Avatars have only been in two Fire Emblem games thus far. That's definitely not a "staple." And even then, Robin himself wouldn't be the staple, just the archetype.

Requests definitely matter, and Chrom is continuously in the Top 10 when it comes to them. I think that speaks volumes, personally.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom