• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
This entire argument is flawed in my opinon; because Wii Sports and it's success is connected to a character, the Miis, the Miis are highly valid.

I would say that more people play Mario for the gameplay than the character himself. Wouldn't you agree? So, hypothetically, if "Mario" was never created, but instead Nintendo released a game of the same exact style and gameplay starring a character named Giuseppie, you can bet that Gieuseppie would be playable in SSB.

Or if Ash started with a Clefairy instead of a Pikachu in the anime, Clefairy would be playable in SSB.

The characters are as much a representative of the medium/game they come from as they are characters themselves. That's always been my opinion, anyway.
Here's a very quick counter for this statement. Mario sells because he's Mario, people like us buy the games because of the gameplay yes, but that's because we know better. Mario and Pikachu appeal to children, and in turn, their parents buy it for them because they ask for it, and Nintendo knows this. Look at the vast amount of Mario or Pikachu themed merchandise, yeah, not games, but shirts, bags, toys, etc. with Mario or Pikachu slapped on it, they allow them to be put on those things to make a portion of the profit because they know that the characters sell. Now look around, how much merchandise do you see for Miis besides the actual games? It's almost non-existent. Nintendo knows that the gameplay and motion control gimmicks are what sells games with Miis in them, not Miis.

There were already a plethora of titles for the Wii where the motion controls amounted to no more than random shakes of the Wiimote, yet very few of those sold nearly the levels that Wii Music did. Without the Wii name and the Mii characters, that game wouldn't even be a blip on the radar, ofc it was the established features from prior games that moved units for Wii Music, if people simply bought it to wave their arms around like idiots, there would be many many many more multi-million selling Wii titles.

To the former, yes. To the latter, yes. However, you overestimate many casuals. Many casuals don't know what the game they've purchased is composed of past the title of the game and the boxart. This is where brand recognition comes into play. They pick up a Wii, they play Wii Sports, and they become attuned to the Wii brand and the Miis, and that's what they look for in future purchases. If people wanted to make music, there are a number of better games to do that than Wii Music, yet Wii Music is the one with the recognizable brand. I bet many casuals didn't even fully know what games like Wii Play and Wii Party were comprised of prior to purchasing them, yet they both sold into the millions, largely because of their brand.

The Miis are Nintendo All-Stars. You might disagree, even if I disagreed it wouldn't matter. Because that's clearly how Nintendo treats them, and I see no reason why Sakurai wouldn't.
That brand recognition isn't Miis, it is, as you said, the Wii name, and in turn Nintendo itself. There's an official Nintendo seal for a reason. They know they can trust it, so they buy it, not because Miis are on it, but because Nintendo itself is trustworthy to them.

In all honesty, no, I don't think they are all-stars. But I really wouldn't care if they did get in, I like debate for the sake of debate.

Last edited:

?????????????

Smash Master
Here's a very quick counter for this statement. Mario sells because he's Mario, people like us buy the games because of the gameplay yes, but that's because we know better. Mario and Pikachu appeal to children, and in turn, their parents buy it for them because they ask for it, and Nintendo knows this. Look at the vast amount of Mario or Pikachu themed merchandise, yeah, not games, but shirts, bags, toys, etc. with Mario or Pikachu slapped on it, they allow them to be put on those things to make a portion of the profit because they know that the characters sell. Now look around, how much merchandise do you see for Miis besides the actual games? It's almost non-existent. Nintendo knows that the gameplay and motion control gimmicks are what sells games with Miis in them, not Miis.
Trust me, there's plenty of kids who would be thrilled to play as themselves.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
No character is going to be added solely because "they weren't asked for". There's gotta be more than that, like ArcticWolf linked to.

?????????????

Smash Master
Ooh, and what about NINTENDO LAND! Are we forgetting about Nintendo Land? That game was awesome. Who else would you pick? Monita?

We keep talking about "Wii Sports." What about "Find Mii"? They're doing so much more cool stuff with Miis than people are giving credit for.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
No character is going to be added solely because "they weren't asked for". There's gotta be more than that, like ArcticWolf linked to.
I wouldn't know, like how I don't know weather Akuma is a weak character or not. Apparently they don't like Adblock.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
And since uniqueness is so important now, I think Villager has hurt Mii's chances considerably.
Villager represents the generic player avatar, is an all-around character, and attacks by randomly pulling out various objects and tools from his games rather than attack with weapons, like Mii likely would've done.
Villager represents the Animal Crossing series, while Wii Fit Trainer represents the Wii series, each one bringing something completely new to the table.

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805
I've already stated what I think about the Miis, to be blunt, they are absolute garbage that shouldn't even be playable over characters who are either deserving, long overdue, and have a large amount of potential for a moveset. But however, you simply cannot deny the influence they had since the Wii.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
That brand recognition isn't Miis, it is, as you said, the Wii name, and in turn Nintendo itself. There's an official Nintendo seal for a reason. They know they can trust it, so they buy it, not because Miis are on it, but because Nintendo itself is trustworthy to them.
So do you think Nintendo adding the Miis to Pilotwings is yet another example of Nintendo continuing to shove them down our throats, or do you think it was because Nintendo added characters they knew would move units in a game that would otherwise be met with lackluster reception?

I've already stated what I think about the Miis, to be blunt, they are absolute garbage that shouldn't even be playable over characters who are either deserving, long overdue, and have a large amount of potential for a moveset. But however, you simply cannot deny the influence they had since the Wii.
Those were pretty much my sentiments for WFT.

Funny how, of all things to complain about for the Miis, people are choosing their standing and importance to Nintendo, the one thing that's pretty undebatable at this point.

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
Good afternoon all, hope you're all doing well and I see that our talk today is...*Sigh* Mii talk. Miis Miis Miis...if there was ever a character with enough controversy to rival the likes of Ridley and Pac-Man...it's the Miis. I personally don't care, I personally think that if you want to play as a Mii, give a Mii Mask to the Villager, other than that I don't really care...so I'll just be around. :p

D

Deleted member

I dont consider them the same since they are two separate entities who share the same dark power.
Ganondorf is Demise as much as Zelda is Hylia.
Ganondorf just doesn't know that. He is an incarnation of Demise's hatred.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
And since uniqueness is so important now, I think Villager has hurt Mii's chances considerably.
Villager represents the generic player avatar, is an all-around character, and attacks by randomly pulling out various objects and tools from his games rather than attack with weapons, like Mii likely would've done.
Villager represents the Animal Crossing series, while Wii Fit Trainer represents the Wii series, each one bringing something completely new to the table.
Not really... the Wii Fit Trainer doesn't do stuff from Wii Sports games in her moveset... the Villager doesn't do stuff from Wii Sports games in his moveset... we are likely gonna get a character with a moveset based off Wii Sports, Wii Play, Wii Party, even Wii Music, and of course Pilotwings Resort...

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Good afternoon all, hope you're all doing well and I see that our talk today is...*Sigh* Mii talk. Miis Miis Miis...if there was ever a character with enough controversy to rival the likes of Ridley and Pac-Man...it's the Miis. I personally don't care, I personally think that if you want to play as a Mii, give a Mii Mask to the Villager, other than that I don't really care...so I'll just be around. :p
But that wouldn't come close to being the Mii we recognize and know.

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805
Those were pretty much my sentiments for WFT.

Funny how, of all things to complain about for the Miis, people are choosing their standing and importance to Nintendo, the one thing that's pretty undebatable at this point.
I can perfectly understand them not wanting Miis, but at least look at what is there before arguing against things, y'know?

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Ooh, and what about NINTENDO LAND! Are we forgetting about Nintendo Land? That game was awesome. Who else would you pick? Monita?

We keep talking about "Wii Sports." What about "Find Mii"? They're doing so much more cool stuff with Miis than people are giving credit for.
Sakurai needs to put the Wandering Heroes in Smash. :cool:

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
So do you think Nintendo adding the Miis to Pilotwings is yet another example of Nintendo continuing to shove them down our throats, or do you think it was because Nintendo added characters they knew would move units in a game that would otherwise be met with lackluster reception?
There has to be a reason? I'd think Nintendo just thought it was a great idea to stick them in it, they just like to do things on a whim a lot of the time.

I'm pretty sure whenever someone brought up the idea of bringing back Pilotwings, Miyamoto was just there and said "Why not add Miis?" [laughs]

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
That doesn't make a whole lot of sense, Mii isn't going to have an AC-based moveset.

No, Villager represents Animal Crossing and attributing anything more to him is attributing too much. Not to mention his generic/random item gimmick was seen prior with G&W.

WFT represents the Wii Fit subseries, not the Wii series as a whole.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Oh Mii's, one of the more controversial characters that we could potentially get in this game. I should brace myself once if the day comes they are confirmed as playable characters.... :rolleyes:

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
The Villager is just simply about living life in the game. So of course there would be things such as gardening. Miis are mostly known for the sports and minigames they are in.

Final answer: Miis are stupid and pointless in the context of Super Smash Bros. They weren't featured in Brawl and that was during a time when Nintendo was trying incredibly hard to force us to like them. They aren't some sort of perfect character that's going to get in, no questions asked.
Actually the Miis appeared in a minor role, as an icon in the friends list in Brawl's Wifi. So he hasn't disregarded them. :p

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Final answer: Miis are stupid and pointless in the context of Super Smash Bros. They weren't featured in Brawl and that was during a time when Nintendo was trying incredibly hard to force us to like them. They aren't some sort of perfect character that's going to get in, no questions asked.

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
But that wouldn't come close to being the Mii we recognize and know.
So what? In my opinion that's the most they deserve overall in a game like this. They're not a required addition, and slapping a Mii Mask on the Villager still gives us the same feeling of playing as ourselves. But I'll give you one thing...They're more likely than Dixie Kong at this point. :p

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
That's because the Miis were too new in 2005-2007 during Brawl development... they hadn't earned their reputation to warrant inclusion in Smash at the time...

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
They weren't introduced in Brawl because the roster was decided before they were introduced to the public...

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
That's because the Miis were too new in 2005-2007 during Brawl development... they hadn't earned their reputation to warrant inclusion in Smash at the time...
We could've had a very cool looking Galaxy stage in Brawl, but Sakurai didn't really notice the critical reception of the game at that time to even be considered.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
So what? In my opinion that's the most they deserve overall in a game like this. They're not a required addition, and slapping a Mii Mask on the Villager still gives us the same feeling of playing as ourselves. But I'll give you one thing...They're more likely than Dixie Kong at this point. :p
Sure... so you say... maybe we should just tape some costume parts on R.O.B.... hey, at least the fans can finally play as Ridley. :awesome:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I disagree. I feel like a new DK character is very likely, and that Dixie Kong is more likely than K. Rool.
But that's using logic, which doesn't matter because Sakurai.

Final answer means I don't want to talk about Miis anymore. You guys are giving the damn things way too much credit.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I disagree. I feel like a new DK character is very likely, and that Dixie Kong is more likely than K. Rool.

Final answer means I don't want to talk about Miis anymore. You guys are giving the damn things way too much credit.
You don't get the last word... Sakurai does.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I DON'T LIKE MIIS SO I DENY THEIR IMPORTANCE AND IMPACT TO NINTENDO AND REJECT THE NOTION THEY'D BE INCLUDED IN A GAME THAT HONORS IMPORTANCE AND IMPACT TO NINTENDO BECAUSE THEY'RE STUPID

There has to be a reason? I'd think Nintendo just thought it was a great idea to stick them in it, they just like to do things on a whim a lot of the time.

I'm pretty sure whenever someone brought up the idea of bringing back Pilotwings, Miyamoto was just there and said "Why not add Miis?" [laughs]
Uh... no... a company isn't going to include such a time-consuming element, an element that would need a fair bit of planning and dev time on a whim... that is... not even close to how they work.

And even if it was on a whim (which it wasn't), that's a pretty big pretty unfounded assumption to make. Again it sounds a bit like grasping at straws.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
People here just really hate Miis...

I understand not liking the character, but what's with the hatred?

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I can perfectly understand them not wanting Miis, but at least look at what is there before arguing against things, y'know?
I very much agree, I personally don't want to see the Miis playable either, but I'd have to be blind to not realize they're the technical main characters of the biggest IP from Nintendo since Pokemon.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik

They don't like seeing penis faces and Hitler faces... and they probably think the Miis are gonna be OP and broken because they think they are gonna have customizable movesets... that's my guess.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
They weren't introduced in Brawl because the roster was decided before they were introduced to the public...
If Nintendo wanted them in the game, it would've happened, because Miis were created long before they were introduced.

I don't hate Miis, in fact I love them, they're hilarious and way better than the knockoff Xbox and PS3 avatars.
But them in Smash? God no.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
They weren't featured in Brawl and that was during a time when Nintendo was trying incredibly hard to force us to like them.
While I don't agree with the removed statement, you do have a good point here. Miis weren't in Brawl at all were they? I don't think they even got a trophy or sticker, they surely would have gotten at least some kind of mention during their prime. While I have no doubt they will appear this time in some form (the idea of a "Multi Mii Melee" sounds perfect for them), it's really odd that they were completely absent previously. And guys, they still would have gotten some kind of mention in Brawl, there was stuff from MGS4 in the game before MGS4 ever even came out. You'd think Sakurai knew Miis existed when he was making Brawl.

Uh... no... a company isn't going to include such a time-consuming element, and element that would need a fair bit of planning and dev time on a whim... that is... not even close to how they work.

And even if it was on a whim (which it wasn't), that's a pretty big pretty unfounded assumption to make. Again it sounds a bit like grasping at straws.
Adding the already made, easy to implement, and incredibly simply designed Miis is time consuming? I'm saying he probably said it when they were planning it, not randomly at the end of development and they all scrambled to add them.

And didn't Retro plan out Cranky for Tropical Freeze because Miyamoto suggested it? I don't remember where I read that, but I'm sure someone has a link.

I DON'T LIKE MIIS SO I DENY THEIR IMPORTANCE AND IMPACT TO NINTENDO AND REJECT THE NOTION THEY'D BE INCLUDED IN A GAME THAT HONORS IMPORTANCE AND IMPACT TO NINTENDO BECAUSE THEY'RE STUPID
And come on, I never said any of this, I already said I don't care if they get in, I don't hate Miis. I made a comment like this before and I got a warning for flaming, I guess mods are immune then?

Last edited:

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
Sure... so you say... maybe we should just tape some costume parts on R.O.B.... hey, at least the fans can finally play as Ridley. :awesome:

You know...usually jokes are supposed to be "Funny"...that ain't funny.

Not a chance, Little Mac's reveal basically shot Dixie's chances down faster than Sonic the Hedgehog himself. Think about it, the only reason people truly believed Dixie was more likely was thanks to Tropical Freeze bringing her back into the limelight of Donkey Kong games. That Direct was the perfect time to reveal Dixie, the new game coming out in less than a week, it was a perfect moment. Why wasn't it jumped on? Perhaps it's because recency isn't enough to give a third wheel more importance than the main villain of the franchise. Dixie missed what was easily her perfect chance.

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I believe there were a few online avatars where you could use some of your Mii faces for. I think their games also had a mention on the Chronicles. That's all I can recall from them in terms of Brawl really.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Sakurai still planned to add Dixie in Brawl... and Dixie lacked recency back then.

Sobreviviente

Smash Lord
Miis arent characters but tools, a tool that allows me to use myself in game and be whatever i want.

Villager represents the animal crossing universe, WFT the WF, they arent avatars but characters like mario, but miis will represent what i want because they will be REAL avatars with a lot of content, options and stuffs, something that takes time and a lot of work, not a characters slot filled with random microphone moves as people thinks.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom