• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
The Ice Climbers foreshadowing in yesterday's pic is strong.

Weeman

Smash Crusader
Seeing his thread pop up after almost a year just reminded me of how much i would like to have Travis Touchdown in the roster, and how much that will not happen.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209

The Villagers are hinting at an Ice Climbers reveal because it looks like one of their taunts.

Apparently.
I thought that picture just confirmed that the Villagers were all alien invaders?

But I suppose it could be hinting at an Ice Climbers reveal... At the very least, it's certainly possible that the Ice Climbers will be revealed tomorrow.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Seeing his thread pop up after almost a year just reminded me of how much i would like to have Travis Touchdown in the roster, and how much that will not happen.
I heard that his creator wanted him in Smash Bros, and how everyone was like "OMG Travis Touchdown in Smash bros!" because they don't realize that wanting their character in Smash doesn't mean getting them in. Mainly because everyone wants a part of Smash Bros.

Wonks

Smash Journeyman
I'm just thinking what if, say, Wolf was revealed tomorrow.
Can you imagine how much of a frenzy it would cause?

Fans would be shocked and bewildered.
There would be many who would shout that no veteran should now be considered cut.
Pangs of anguish of Falco not being revealed first.
Postulations of a fourth Star Fox character, like Fire Emblem, would soon be on the horizon.
Cats and dogs living together!

Last edited:

Weeman

Smash Crusader

There would be many who would shout that no veteran should be considered cut.
Postulations of a fourth Star Fox character, like Fire Emblem, would soon be on the horizon.
And i will be prancing in happiness!

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725

There would be many who would shout that no veteran should now be considered cut.
I'm sure he's in. And thanks to JC I'd be very surprised if he's cut now.

Burruni

Smash Hero
Considering we're getting Lucina as a newcomer, there's no way Lucas and Wolf are going to be cut, even if they are semi-clones.

Thank you, based Lucina. :4lucina:
When it comes to the lifespan of Clone veterans returning to Smash 3DS/WiiU... she had but two things to say.

"I SAY WHEN IT ENDS! HOPE WILL NEVER DIE!"

D

Deleted member

Lucina has no bearing on other character's chances. No one delude yourselves otherwise.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
Dark Pit, Dr. Mario, and Bowser Jr. come up to haunt your soul. :evil:
I don't understand why you're appearing to cling to this "leak". What makes it credible? The entire notion that Bowser Junior would stay exclusively in the Koopa Clown Car is completely stupid. On top of that, the same person says that Bower Junior wouldn't have color palettes, just alts that would swap between the Koopalings. Which wouldn't never happen in a million years for two reasons.
1) Bowser Junior would need at least three to four regular costumes of himself for team battles on the Wii U version. Some people probably want to play as Bowser Junior, not be forced to be Roy / Wendy / Iggy / Ludwig / Larry. Lucina was more than likely going to have her own selection of palettes too if she was going to be a Marth costume, just like Wario's Biker Outfit and Overalls had their own unique palette swaps.
2) Every Koopaling would need at least four costumes swaps too, and that's just way too much work for what it's worth.

Also, you mean to tell me that they would add Bowser Junior as his own unique character, but not incorporate his Paintbrush into his moveset?? Isn't that like, a major reason people want him in the first place?

Last edited:

Oz37

Smash Journeyman
NNID
smozzy
So, with the current discussion of clones, I pose a question for you guys:

In Melee, Sakurai opted for 6 clones over 1 unique character (Dedede, if I recall correctly). With Lucina's inclusion providing evidence for clones being in Smash 4, what if Sakurai makes that choice again? Examples: Isaac as a Robin clone (a la C. Falcon and Ganondorf), Bowser Jr as a Bowser clone, etc, etc.

Here's the actual question: what newcomer would you be okay with being replaced by clones, and what newcomer exclusion would make you really upset?

Example: I'd be fine with getting multiple clones in place of a playable Ridley, with him being delegated to stage boss. (pleasepleaseplease don't hurt me); however, I'd be genuinely upset if I found out Sakurai was considering C. Toad and went for a batch of clones instead (though I'd get over it if Isaac was a semi-clone of Robin without the deterioration gimmick).

Also, if your answer is only "NONE/ALL, KILL THE CLONES, KILL KILL," then just skip this one. I understand how you feel, but it defeats the purpose of the question.

D

Deleted member

Oi, I've explained this literally twice before within 24 hours;
The statement about Dedede and the clones was that it would have taken the same amount of development time to make Dedede as it did to make the 6 clones. NOT that Dedede was axed in favor of the clones.

According to the same source of information that came from, Dedede was only a back-up plan for if Intelligent Systems did not allow Sakurai to include Marth.

Last edited by a moderator:

Oz37

Smash Journeyman
NNID
smozzy
Huh, the more ya know. (insert ABC channel rainbow here)

My question still stands, though... I think... eh, screw it.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
So, with the current discussion of clones, I pose a question for you guys:

In Melee, Sakurai opted for 6 clones over 1 unique character (Dedede, if I recall correctly). With Lucina's inclusion providing evidence for clones being in Smash 4, what if Sakurai makes that choice again? Examples: Isaac as a Robin clone (a la C. Falcon and Ganondorf), Bowser Jr as a Bowser clone, etc, etc.

Here's the actual question: what newcomer would you be okay with being replaced by clones, and what newcomer exclusion would make you really upset?

Example: I'd be fine with getting multiple clones in place of a playable Ridley, with him being delegated to stage boss. (pleasepleaseplease don't hurt me); however, I'd be genuinely upset if I found out Sakurai was considering C. Toad and went for a batch of clones instead (though I'd get over it if Isaac was a semi-clone of Robin without the deterioration gimmick).

Also, if your answer is only "NONE/ALL, KILL THE CLONES, KILL KILL," then just skip this one. I understand how you feel, but it defeats the purpose of the question.
Well I think it's a circumstance thing that made me willing to accept clones in the past. In Melee's case there hadn't been much time between it and the last Smash and the character count being upped seemed like more of a priority back then I think. By adding all of those clones some of the biggest characters in the Nintendo world made their debuts and for those reasons it was a worthwhile addition. So to get to 26 in Melee it was worth it, even though they didn't necessarily sacrifice anything for those clones... Now we have 36 characters already debuted for Smash 4 and we'll probably end up in the high 40s to low 50s if I had to bet. Now with this many characters in the games, I'm less inclined to believe that clones are worthy additions to the line-up, especially with all the uniqueness we've seen so far from the newcomers already revealed.

It would just feel like wasted potential for those clone characters, just like it still does for Ganondorf to this day just being a Falcon clone. I wouldn't want Issac to be a clone of Robin since he has so much potential as his own character, and especially not if a potential unique character is dropped as a result of choosing clones. Now if Sakurai has everything planned out and just happens to decide to add some clones like Lucina just because and that doesn't take anything else away from the line-up and only adds, I'm OK with that then. It's just I think we put up with clones because the characters were big names back then and we hadn't seen the same amount of originality that we've seen through Brawl and now especially in the newcomers (Sans Lucina of course) for Smash 4.

Last edited:

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
So, why did Palutena get 12 different special moves again?
Sorry, I'm a bit confused at the moment. I'm not in the mood to read comments with people yelling at each other as that is what I'm guessing happened earlier.

Other vets that I want to see include:
:squirtle::ivysaur::wolf::warioc::metaknight::rob:

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
Is it safe to assume at this point we will have at least one hidden newcomer? I personally think we will have a direct and a live (Robin-like) reveal so 2 trailers. But I think we have at least 4 newcomers left. What do you guys think?

Mewtwo I think will get a trailer, but won't be the only character that wasn't in Brawl to be shown.

Oz37

Smash Journeyman
NNID
smozzy
Well I think it's a circumstance thing that made me willing to accept clones in the past. In Melee's case there hadn't been much time between it and the last Smash and the character count being upped seemed like more of a priority back then I think. By adding all of those clones some of the biggest characters in the Nintendo world made their debuts and for those reasons it was a worthwhile addition. So to get to 26 in Melee it was worth it, even though they didn't necessarily sacrifice anything for those clones... Now we have 36 characters already debuted for Smash 4 and we'll probably end up in the high 40s to low 50s if I had to bet. Now with this many characters in the games, I'm less inclined to believe that clones are worthy additions to the line-up, especially with all the uniqueness we've seen so far from the newcomers already revealed.

It would just feel like wasted potential for those clone characters, just like it still does for Ganondorf to this day just being a Falcon clone. I wouldn't want Issac to be a clone of Robin since he has so much potential as his own character, and especially not if a potential unique character is dropped as a result of choosing clones. Now if Sakurai has everything planned out and just happens to decide to add some clones like Lucina just because and that doesn't take anything else away from the line-up and only adds, I'm OK with that then. It's just I think we put up with clones because the characters were big names back then and we hadn't seen the same amount of originality that we've seen through Brawl and now especially in the newcomers (Sans Lucina of course) for Smash 4.
I could kiss you right now (in a totally platonic bro-kiss kinda way without being weird at all). This is definitely one of the most reasonable and respectful dissenting opinions I think I've ever seen on the forums. Kudos, sir.

ZeldaMaster

Smash Lord
So, why did Palutena get 12 different special moves again?
Sorry, I'm a bit confused at the moment. I'm not in the mood to read comments with people yelling at each other as that is what I'm guessing happened earlier.

Other vets that I want to see include:
:squirtle::ivysaur::wolf::warioc::metaknight::rob:
Because 4 of them are deafult, and the other 8 are customizable. The only thing that Palutena has that other characters don't have is that her customizable moves are completely, and not variations of her default moveset, similar to the Mii's. I agree it seems unfair that Palutena and the Miis are the only characters that we know of this far getting this treatment....

Last edited:

Burruni

Smash Hero
Technically, everyone has 12 special moves. It's just that Palutena's are completely unique, instead of being variations of each other. As for "why", well... She's Sakurai's baby. *shrugs*
...Or because we barely know any of the customizable moves and the only ones we have seen of newcomers have been Mii Fighters and Palutena. IIRC, we have seen all 12 for Mario, and 1 customizable for Kirby, DK, and Pit which share the same animation but have different effects and even act as totally different moves.

TeenGirlSquad

Smash Master
...Or because we barely know any of the customizable moves and the only ones we have seen of newcomers have been Mii Fighters and Palutena. IIRC, we have seen all 12 for Mario, and 1 customizable for Kirby, DK, and Pit which share the same animation but have different effects and even act as totally different moves.
It's blatantly stated on the website...

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Top 5 vets I want to see:
:wario::warioc::wario::warioc::wario:

It's Wario's time every god damn time, OK?

Burruni

Smash Hero
It's blatantly stated on the website...
What is the "it" you refer to, just to understand. Yes, we know that Palutena and presumably Mii Fighter's 12 specials are all unique in their moves. What I am trying to state is that we don't know how many characters that this is the case for. When we have such a small database of knowledge for the roster's spread of specials, we have no idea if this is the case for these 2, or it could be to all newcomers, or even some veterans. For all we know, it could be for at least 25 characters in a roster of around 50.

Last edited:

Oz37

Smash Journeyman
NNID
smozzy
This. I think Palutena's custom moves are being over analyzed, or else the other character moves are being downplayed. Everybody has 12 moves, Palutena's are just 12 different moves instead of 4 moves with 3 variations. When you really think about it, it's not all that much more work for Palutena, and it's not like she won't have a basic set up to start with. And for people asking why she specifically has the gimmick, the trailer made it obvious that it's because of all the different abilities available to her as a goddess. Basically, I think people are kinda overreacting...

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
Technically, everyone has 12 special moves. It's just that Palutena's are completely unique, instead of being variations of each other. As for "why", well... She's Sakurai's baby. *shrugs*
Because 4 of them are deafult, and the other 8 are customizable. The only thing that Palutena has that other characters don't have is that her customizable moves are completely, and not variations of her default moveset, similar to the Mii's. I agree it seems unfair that Palutena and the Miis are the only characters that we know of this far getting this treatment....
Oh okay, thank you both for the input.

Personally I think that's a little unfair. Most of the roster, given this opportunity, could have 12 unique customizable moves as well. Not just her, or the Mii's apparently.

Last edited:

TeenGirlSquad

Smash Master
What is the "it" you refer to, just to understand. Yes, we know that Palutena and presumably Mii Fighter's 12 specials are all unique in their moves. What I am trying to state is that we don't know how many characters that this is the case for. When we have such a small database of knowledge for the roster's spread of specials, we have no idea if this is the case for these 2, or it could be to all newcomers. For all we know, it could be for at least 25 characters in a roster of around 50.
This. I think Palutena's custom moves are being over analyzed, or else the other character moves are being downplayed. Everybody has 12 moves, Palutena's are just 12 different moves instead of 4 moves with 3 variations. When you really think about it, it's not all that much more work for Palutena, and it's not like she won't have a basic set up to start with. And for people asking why she specifically has the gimmick, the trailer made it obvious that it's because of all the different abilities available to her as a goddess. Basically, I think people are kinda overreacting...
http://www.smashbros.com/us/howto/entry2.html

"Each fighter possesses four special attacks; standard special, side special, up special, and down special. Each of these can be customized, however, so there are three variations for each direction. This means there are two classifications for special attacks: basic and custom.

However, Mii Fighters and Palutena don't have spin-off variations, but rather completely unique types of attacks."

Oz37

Smash Journeyman
NNID
smozzy
http://www.smashbros.com/us/howto/entry2.html

"Each fighter possesses four special attacks; standard special, side special, up special, and down special. Each of these can be customized, however, so there are three variations for each direction. This means there are two classifications for special attacks: basic and custom.

However, Mii Fighters and Palutena don't have spin-off variations, but rather completely unique types of attacks."
... Isn't that exactly what I just said??? My only point is that I don't think there's much point in arguing over preferential treatment when ultimately I don't think there's all THAT big a difference in work load. For the Miis, it's cuz of being completely customizable, so it makes sense from the get-go. For Palutena, she's a goddess canonically known for her wealth of abilities (granted, she gifts all these to Pit in their source game), and that's her gimmick. Rosalina's gimmick is being a puppeteer, but you don't see near as many people freaking out over preferential treatment for her. I'm just not getting what the big deal is.

LordJackal

Smash Journeyman
NNID
lordjackal92
Lucina has no bearing on other character's chances. No one delude yourselves otherwise.
Well, I think what her reveal did was show us that Sakurai wouldn't reject a character simply for being a clone. Toon Link did that somewhat, but not entirely, but after Lucina it's hard to use 'clone' as a reason to cut Wolf or Lucas, and that was one of the biggest cases against them.

Oz37

Smash Journeyman
NNID
smozzy
I suppose that's true, but that's just a development choice. And let's be honest, there are some characters that I'm sure would be difficult to make 12 unique special moves for, while Palutena lends herself to it. All those custom moves just come naturally to the character, while other characters already have specials that feel forced.

Sadly, I predict this conversation is just going to be one of those cyclical things where nobody really budges, instead opting to keep restating the same arguments over and over to no avail, so I'm off to bed.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
I suppose that's true, but that's just a development choice. And let's be honest, there are some characters that I'm sure would be difficult to make 12 unique special moves for, while Palutena lends herself to it. All those custom moves just come naturally to the character, while other characters already have specials that feel forced.

Sadly, I predict this conversation is just going to be one of those cyclical things where nobody really budges, instead opting to keep restating the same arguments over and over to no avail, so I'm off to bed.
Well, I do agree with what you're saying. Some characters didn't even have moveset potential when they were added to the game. However, I feel like Mario should be top of the list to receive a high amount of customization. I mean, he's Mr. Power-Ups after all!(Well, not really but he has a crap ton to pick from.)

I can't believe we didn't get an Ice Ball for one of the available options. I am disappoint.

Last edited:

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
I thought the only special treatment Palutena was getting is lip service.

Her "different specials" are just like everyone else's, just with a fancy title.

I mean, how different is "dash really fast in one direction" and "zoom slightly faster in one direction with no hurtbox." Etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom