• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
I wasn't aware that Skyward Sword sold poorly. Huh.

Well, I'm still gunning for Ghirahim nonetheless, even though Vaati/Tetra are probably getting in over him. That is, assuming we even get a Zelda Newcomer to begin with.

Morbi

Scavenger
Hmmm now I'm understanding your point and I don't really understand that either just because a character is popularly requested doesn't necessary mean they will be picked for example Toad and Bowser Jr. were the popular Mario picks but yet they were passed in favor of Rosalina
I don't see how that is entirely relevant either, it has already been thoroughly proven that popularity is only an aspect of inclusion. It is not the sole factor. I am just arguing for the sake of arguing. I do not believe that the most popular Legend of Zelda character would be selected. I merely believe Tingle to be the more popular candidate.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I wasn't aware that Skyward Sword sold poorly. Huh..
It sold badly for a Zelda game.

Mostly because it was at the end of the Wii's life cycle.

As it's own thing, it's sales were still impressive.

D

Deleted member

As much as I like that funny little man, I highly doubt he's the most popular candidate.

D

Deleted member

I am only comparing him to Ghirahim, to be more specific. I also doubt he is the most popular candidate.
I'd be more on the side that Ghirahim is more popular for Smash.
In Zelda in general....Tingle, for the reasoning you gave; been around much longer to gain fans.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I'd be more on the side that Ghirahim is more popular for Smash.
In Zelda in general....Tingle, for the reasoning you gave; been around much longer to gain fans.
Well sure, that makes a lot more sense.
But I was referring to Japan specifically. To think Tingle is more popular in the US is crazy talk.

D

Deleted member

Well sure, that makes a lot more sense.
But I was referring to Japan specifically. To think Tingle is more popular in the US is crazy talk.
Agreed, sadly.
It's why the "Americans Hate Tingle" trope exists.

It's also the reason why we didn't get any of the Tingle games. Because of a bunch of pricks who voted that they wouldn't play a game where Tingle was the star.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Agreed, sadly.
It's why the "Americans Hate Tingle" trope exists.

It's also the reason why we didn't get any of the Tingle games. Because of a bunch of pricks who voted that they wouldn't play a game where Tingle was the star.
Well, I mean, I'm indifferent to him.
I am more than fine if he's an Assist Trophy. But anything more would be stupid, and, it would be worse than Pacman or Mii.

I was specifically alluding to the characters perceived prominence. Tingle has been a reoccurring character for over a decade (if I recall correctly) and Ghirahim is a secondary character in the most recent Legend of Zelda game (which didn't perform adequately). So, if I am correct in my assumption, you are not going to take my perspective into account because I used objective fact to support my argument? This, my friend, is what I like to refer to as confirmation bias. You are blatantly disregarding arguments because you do not personally see the value in said arguments. Tingle's prominence and prevalence are much more overt than Ghirahim's, so his fan-base is going to be inherently larger. I am sorry if you don't agree.

The point is, Ghirahim has had much less exposure (as he was only in one game, as he was only in one of the worst selling games) and Tingle has had much more exposure. Therefore, it is logical to assert that Tingle's fan-base is larger. I even gave you the benefit of the doubt and asserted that that doesn't necessarily correlate to popularity. However, if you are going to blatantly dismiss something I bring to the table because it refutes your point, I have nothing further to say (as it is utterly impossible for you to actually comprehend where I am coming from).

That being said, if you found that poll that you have to prove that Ghirahim has somehow amassed a larger fan-base than Tingle, I would be willing to take a look at it. Albeit, it wouldn't really convince me unless there were millions of votes from the majority of the community.
You're going to criticize me for confirmation bias? Okay then.
If you have proof, show it to me. Otherwise you're just contradicting me for fun.

None of these proof either of our points, but I'm reading them as reference.

http://www.zeldadungeon.net/2013/06/kensuke-tanabe-wants-to-make-tingle-popular-in-the-west/

http://zeldawiki.org/Talk:Tingle

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/633202-super-smash-bros-for-wii-u/68369429?page=3

Malcolm Belmont

Smash Ace
NNID
King Joffery
I want to see the Virtual Boy in Smash Bros in some way..maybe as a boss or as a playable charcter..that would be so funny in my opinion

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
I want to see the Virtual Boy in Smash Bros in some way..maybe as a boss or as a playable charcter..that would be so funny in my opinion
It should be an item that, when you toss at an opponent, they automatically wear it and are blinded by the horrific red coloring causing them to be immobile for a short period of time.

This wouldn't effect Godot, but the chances of him being playable are slim to none so no need to worry about that.

Malcolm Belmont

Smash Ace
NNID
King Joffery
It should be an item that, when you toss at an opponent, they automatically wear it and are blinded by the horrific red coloring causing them to be immobile for a short period of time.

This wouldn't effect Godot, but the chances of him being playable are slim to none so no need to worry about that.
I think Virtual Boy does have potential to be a playble charcter :D. I am planning to contrust a moveset for him

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
I think Virtual Boy does have potential to be a playble charcter :D. I am planning to contrust a moveset for him
Virtual Boy as it's own character, eh? That's not brought up very often. I know Harry, the robot boxer from Teleboxer has a little support(and probably the most for a Virtual Boy rep) but I'd be interested to see what you come up with for Virtual Boy.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
When it comes to it's existing characters, the only Virtual Boy character that's really notable is Harry from Teleroboxer. But he's essentially a mix of Little Mac and Sukapon, the former already in the game and the latter being explicitly stated by Sakurai to not be expected to be playable in any future Smash titles.

As for a Virtual Boy original character, my only response could be best summed up in the word:
"Meh."

BBG|Scott-Spain

Smash Journeyman
For a while, I believed there would be no point in having Mr. Game & Watch since Mac is a lightweight heavy-hitter, but I'm realizing GAW is needed because of his air game.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Ehhhh I would perfer to have the gamecube as a playable character
Just giving everyone a fair warning before it happens, but please don't let these kinds of posts get out of hand.

CalumG

Smash Lord
I hardly think a Virtual Boy as a boss/playable seems fitting, personally.

If Virtual Boy gets representation I think it should be in the form of a stage - something from Wario Land VB or Mario Clash or another popular (loosely speaking) VB title, with the entire stage rendered in red and black 3D.

EDIT: For brownie points Nintendo could make the Virtual Boy stage a 3DS exclusive for the authentic black-and-red 3D effect :troll:

Last edited:

Cobalsh

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2578-3430-9913
Warning Received
pm it to me after you're done.

Just giving everyone a fair warning before it happens, but please don't let these kinds of posts get out of hand.
We are discussing characters. In the Character Discussion Thread...
Well, report me to an admin!
Edit: Ironic that this is a double post.:facepalm:

Last edited:

pikachugamer21

Smash Journeyman
I hardly think a Virtual Boy as a boss/playable seems fitting, personally.

If Virtual Boy gets representation I think it should be in the form of a stage - something from Wario Land VB or Mario Clash or another popular (loosely speaking) VB title, with the entire stage rendered in red and black 3D.

EDIT: For brownie points Nintendo could make the Virtual Boy stage a 3DS exclusive for the authentic black-and-red 3D effect :troll:
That's unlikely to happen but anything is possible I suppose

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Virtual Boy is a character? I never knew.
If we want to talk about VB, we should discuss Harry. Then I will leave, as I have no opinion on the matter.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
The Gamecube isn't a character, nor is the Virtual Boy.

As well, do not make posts consisting of only memes and images.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
They're not characters in the traditional sense in that they don't have motives or a personality.

I don't wish to talk about them anymore, but one could make the argument that R.O.B. is also not a character, but a peripheral. If one truly wishes to discuss their merits as a playable character, however unlikely it may be, it doesn't seem it would be an issue.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
They're not characters in the traditional sense in that they don't have motives or a personality.

I don't wish to talk about them anymore, but one could make the argument that R.O.B. is also not a character, but a peripheral. If one truly wishes to discuss their merits as a playable character, however unlikely it may be, it doesn't seem it would be an issue.
While the original discussion with the Virtual Boy was fine, the Gamecube suggestion seemed more like a joke post, which are taken seriously in this thread.

Legitimate discussion is fine. I just don't want to see it spiral out of control.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
While the original discussion with the Virtual Boy was fine, the Gamecube suggestion seemed more like a joke post, which are taken seriously in this thread.

Legitimate discussion is fine. I just don't want to see it spiral out of control.
Oh okay, I thought you meant the whole thing. Yeah, that was definitely a joke.

Cobalsh

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2578-3430-9913

I'm saying that it could be a character, like some people here. Sakurai made the Wii Fit Trainer work, made R.O.B. have a moveset without blocks, and he can make a Virtual Boy work. Simple as that. I think I'll dodge this thread for a while, seeing as it's certainly going to hell sometime soon, and nothing will be done about it, other than closing it. Again.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I'm saying that it could be a character, like some people here. Sakurai made the Wii Fit Trainer work, made R.O.B. have a moveset without blocks, and he can make a Virtual Boy work. Simple as that. I think I'll dodge this thread for a while, seeing as it's certainly going to hell sometime soon, and nothing will be done about it, other than closing it. Again.
He was referring to your joke post about the Gamecube, not the Virtual Boy. Let's just drop the whole thing, meta discussion is bad.

It's pretty clear you don't know about KI enough. :p
Just to let you know to one who played the game, Hades has potential, a trollish one.
I haven't played it either, do you have to have played it to see his potential?

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I have to agree with opo, but hey, GameCube could be a stage. I was thinking the desk from smash 64 could be a stage
The Wii could be a stage too. :p

I haven't played it either, do you have to have played it to see his potential?
Yes, from what I can recallhe can summon violent tornadoes, able to summon monsters, and can shoot missiles and lasers from many parts of his body.

Cobalsh

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2578-3430-9913
Has the VB even been a character in a game?
Nah, guess not. But Smash could start it, leading to a downloadable mini-game type of thing, with modified versions of Virtual Boy games, like Teleroboxer, Mario Clash, etc.

Also, to the mods of SmashBoards:

Sorry for my recent behavior, after the RPD was closed I got pissed. I see now that it was the appropriate decision, because trolls will be trolls, no matter what. I kinda got me pissed though, I don't know exactly why, though. So, my sincerest apologies,
Cobalsh McGee.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom