• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

?????????????

Smash Master
Am I the only person who actually likes Zant more than Ghira-*shot*
To be honest, I found Zant more interesting. While Zant was a pawn of Ganondorf, he had his own agenda and ambitions. Ghirahim's sole existence was to revive Demise.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Technically, Medusa only appeared as the main antagonist of ONE Kid Icarus game (the original).

Then the second one had a completely separate villain who was never mentioned again.

And In Uprising, Hades is the real main villain, and was that way to the player for the majority of the game. After Chapter 9, it is 100% Hades (except for the ending which involved Medusa.

So importance wise, Medusa and Hades are basically even, especially when you consider the events of the original Kid Icarus where most likely planned out by Hades in the official canon.
Eh... not really... Medusa's storyline was in chapters 1-9... Viridi's storyline was in chapters 10-14... the storyline about the Aurum was in chapters 15-17... the storyline about the Chaos Kin was in chapters 18-22... Hades's storyline was in chapters 23-25... Medusa had more chapters about her than Hades does.

There's a reason Nintendo and Sakurai promoted Kid Icarus: Uprising with Pit, Palutena, AND Medusa.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Eh... not really... Medusa's storyline was in chapters 1-9... Viridi's storyline was in chapters 10-14... the storyline about the Aurum was in chapters 15-17... the storyline about the Chaos Kin was in chapters 18-22... Hades's storyline was in chapters 23-25... Medusa had more chapters about her than Hades does.

There's a reason Nintendo and Sakurai promoted Kid Icarus: Uprising with Pit, Palutena, AND Medusa.
To avoid spoilers of course. :p
Don't you remember?

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542

Yes, but my point was that Hades was shown as the ruler of the Underworld more than Medusa was.

9Volt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Star_Fox_Team
To avoid spoilers of course. :p
Don't you remember?
This and *Spoiler* Medusa is Hades Pawn and he appears more in the story than Medusa. He appears on "others" chars chapters.

Yes, and they are both dead now.
No, *Spoiler* Hades is alive. He speaks after the end game. Medusa not because she needs him to be back...at least by now.

Last edited:

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
Yes, and they are both dead now.
So was Medusa in Kid Icarus 1.

But you know who may have survived and may be in the next KI game?

[collapse=KI:U Spoilers]
Tanatos!
Oh sorry, I mean THANATOS!

The "H" is for HAMAZING!!!!!
[/collapse]

MrPanic

Smash Journeyman
Imo there a quite a few reasons to put Medusa in over Hades.

- it's another female character
- it's the promoted villain of Kid Icarus
- it would be the first female villain playable in a smash game
- Medusa's boss fight showed more moveset potential than the fight against Hades

We already have a pure evil guy in Smash in the form of Ganondorf, so I don't feel like Hades would add much to the roster. Medusa on the other hand is the bad-ass evil chick that Smash never had, so I'd put her into Smash any day.

I'm all for having Hades as a boss fight though, along with lots of sarcastic smash jokes. :p

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue

- Medusa's boss fight showed more moveset potential than the fight against Hades

We already have a pure evil guy in Smash in the form of Ganondorf, so I don't feel like Hades would add much to the roster. Medusa on the other hand is the bad-*** evil chick that Smash never had, so I'd put her into Smash any day.

I'm all for having Hades as a boss fight though, along with lots of sarcastic smash jokes. :p
She's promoted for people to avoid spoilers about Hades. :p
Being female doesn't help her chances.

Malcolm Belmont

Smash Ace
NNID
King Joffery

We already have a pure evil guy in Smash in the form of Ganondorf, so I don't feel like Hades would add much to the roster. Medusa on the other hand is the bad-*** evil chick that Smash never had, so I'd put her into Smash any day.

I am conflicted on Medusa..while i found her charcter really bland in KI:U i can see how she can work well in Smash but i just want Hades in more..

MrPanic

Smash Journeyman
She's promoted for people to avoid spoilers about Hades. :p
Being female doesn't help her chances.
Being the promoted one makes her the more known and the more popular one, pretty sure this forum won't reflect that but that's what happens in general.
Pretty sure there's been a little push for more females in smash by the production staff, so at the very least it wont hurt her chances.
I am conflicted on Medusa..while i found her charcter really bland in KI:U i can see how she can work well in Smash but i just want Hades in more..
Don't get me wrong, I loved Hades in Uprising. Liked him a lot more than Medusa because that guy is straight up hilarious. But realistically that probably won't reflect in his potential smash incarnation. As a playable character he'll just end up saying a lot of the same stuff again and again so his jokes will probably grow old fast. All he did as a boss was shoot a bunch of lasers and not a lot more, so most of his smash incarnation's attacks are probably gonna be new and not really representative for how he was in Uprising, something I personally wouldn't like. Medusa showed lots of moves already in Uprising (claw attacks, magic attacks, teleports, petrification, floating head FS?) which could work fine in Smash as well, so she would at least stay truer to her original game. Though my main reason I'd want her is because Smash still needs a evil chick to oppose Ganondorf, and I can't imagine anyone more suited for that job than Medusa.

Last edited:

pikachugamer21

Smash Journeyman
Not just only K.K.Rool and not just to please everybody, is just to be hive minded, is hard to think out the box. I mean almost every single roster that people put online is the same thing, is the Geno effect all over.

And about K.K.Rool, what is so great about him? He is a fat crocodile that stole babanas on the first game and pretend that have died, in the second and third game he is so different that when I was a kid I thought that was just his brother or whatever.
His personality is so blank that they change hes theme every single time saying: "Whatever just put a coat on him and say he is a mad scientist because we just want to"

Hades is the god of death, manipulated the entire Kid Icarus universe and his heart alone has more personality that lazy crocodile. K.Rool represents your childhood, I get it but just let it go people.

Just to clarify, I hate him because I don´t see depth but If you like him or he end in the game....okay. Just try to give personality to your roster. Put Glass Joe, Sheriff, Krystal, 9Volt, Mona, Medusa, Rocket Team, Master Hand and etc.
Gasp how dare you insult the great King K Rool like that

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542

- being a female probably doesn't make Sakurai want to add a character more.
- can't really argue you there, but it doesn't matter that much, since she isn't the "real" villain.
- being a villain probably matters a bit more than being a female, but it overall doesn't really change much.
- How, exactly?

And if you played Kid Icarus Uprising, you'd know that Hades isn't really that much of a serious and pure evil villain. As evil and powerful as he is, he jokes around and makes sarcastic and funny comments like when he says, "Oh look, who cares?" right to his enemy's face.
He is rather cocky and humorous, while Ganny is pure evil and always serious.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
I wonder if a lot of people take the opportunity to infer predictions from reveal dates. I think it was pretty obvious that we were getting a fifth Mario character because Sakurai revealed all the veterans like immediately and I think it's obvious now that Diddy & Dixie duo isn't happening since they weren't revealed in the Tropical Freeze newcomer trailer.

Now I'm wondering if maybe Toon Link is a lot higher priority this time because maybe Sakurai is planning on adding Tetra to the roster.

ALSO MY PROFILE TITLE AND PREMIUM BANNER IS BLUE!!! :colorful:

Last edited by a moderator:

SuperBrawler

Smash Master
Being the promoted one makes her the more known and the more popular one, pretty sure this forum won't reflect that but that's what happens in general.
Pretty sure there's been a little push for more females in smash by the production staff, so at the very least it wont hurt her chances.

Don't get me wrong, I loved Hades in Uprising. Liked him a lot more than Medusa because that guy is straight up hilarious. But realistically that probably won't reflect in his potential smash incarnation. As a playable character he'll just end up saying a lot of the same stuff again and again so his jokes will probably grow old fast. All he did as a boss was shoot a bunch of lasers and not a lot more, so most of his smash incarnation's attacks are probably gonna be new and not really representative for how he was in Uprising, something I personally wouldn't like. Medusa showed lots of moves already in Uprising (claw attacks, magic attacks, teleports, petrification, floating head FS?) which could work fine in Smash as well, so she would at least stay truer to her original game. Though my main reason I'd want her is because Smash still needs a evil chick to oppose Ganondorf, and I can't imagine anyone more suited for that job than Medusa.
Being female doesn't change anything at all, and Hades is the main villain, also, i won't doubt Sakurai. If Hades is in, Sakurai won't let you down. If he didn't see potential in Hades he never would have thought to have him. But even if Hades is bland, Sakurai will make him good in Smash anyway.

Last edited:

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
I wonder if a lot of people take the opportunity to infer predictions from reveal dates. I think it was pretty obvious that we were getting a fifth Mario character because Sakurai revealed all the veterans like immediately and I think it's obvious now that Diddy & Dixie duo isn't happening since they weren't revealed in the Tropical Freeze newcomer trailer.

Now I'm wondering if maybe Toon Link is a lot higher priority this time because maybe Sakurai is planning on adding Tetra to the roster.

ALSO MY PROFILE TITLE AND PREMIUM BANNER IS BLUE!!! :colorful:
If a Diddy & Dixie duo isn't happening because it wasn't revealed near Tropical Freeze, why would a Tetra reveal be likely if it wasn't revealed near Wind Waker HD?

Also, I love the blue!
It's so "blue-tiful!" *buddum tsssssss*
It gives me strength!
I am close to assuming my Final Form!
(which is just a floating Bidoof head with giant hands)

Why is there no joke drawing of K.K.K. Rool btw

of one Kid Icarus game.
Because that would be racist.
Then again, he is trying to defeat islanders with darker color- STOP! I am looking way to far into this!

As for KI, Medusa was also the main villain of one game.
And the guy from "of myths and monsters."

So technically, Medusa, Hades, and that guy nobody knows are all equal for Smash.

Last edited:

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
I'll be sad if Hades becomes the new forgotten villain, so much wasted potential on a great character that could better represent the series better than Medusa.
How does a less recognized villian of one installment better represent the series then a more recognized villian from 2 installments? One of which was the first: The NES classic.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209

That's actually a thought I had when Toon Link was revealed. It just struck me as odd that a character that could have easily been cut out if time became an issue was one of the first revealed, and therefore likely one of the first added in. Unless of course, as you said, they were planning on adding a character that would absolutely require the presence of Toon Link to even work. Besides, I always thought of Tetra as a likely Zelda choice anyway.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
I also made an alt of my last roster which featured Pac-Man who I've been considering as character who Sakurai might change his mind and add since I infered from an interview that he was open to third-parties, but had not chose any besides Mega Man yet. I still have doubts about him though because he keeps reiterating how much of a "special case" Mega Man was. I think Pac-Man is a 50/50 chance and I take back my constant ranting about him not being capable of a move set. He could easily implement a good recovery special and the ghosts as part of his move set.

I posted it to IGN because I didn't want to get the same comments of the same roster here. Here's the interview I read by the way. I can't say for sure if the man is lying. But, I believe him: http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/06...ters-receive-no-priority-for-super-smash-bros

But, in the mean time I made a starter roster.
Super Smash Bros. Roster 8.0 LOCKED.png

List of unlockables:

Newcomers:
  • Rosalina & Luma
  • Wii Fit Trainer
  • Mega Man
  • Samurai Goroh
  • Takamaru
  • Tetra
  • Dixie Kong
  • Ridley
  • Tabuu
Veterans
  • Mewtwo
  • Lucas
  • Ike
  • Luigi
  • Ganondorf
  • Toon Link
  • Jigglypuff
  • Lucario
  • Falco
  • Wolf
  • Mr. Game & Watch
  • R.O.B
  • Sonic Snake

?????????????

Smash Master
I was not aware Hades had literally any.
I'm going to agree with that. In fact,is there a liable moveset for him?
As far as character choices though, while Medusa is the iconic, traditional, recurring villain of the series, and that gives her obvious merit, Hades is shown in Uprising to be the one having always been pulling the strings (bigger bad trope). In a series where the main evil force is the Underworld, the implication of Hades was already in place, and Uprising brought it to light. Within that game, too, Hades stands out much more as both a villain and a character than Medusa does.

Moveset-wise, Hades shows just as much if not more potential than Medusa. They both are shown using Dark Magic-esque abilities, Hades turns various parts of his body into drills...you could have a lot of fun with his moveset.

In either case, I don't really care for a second Kid Icarus rep in SSB in the first place, and I think Palutena has her obvious merits when you throw her into the mix as well.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Lol, thx. Are you referencing JonTron? ;)
Actually though,there is one flaw in my opinion. I don't really think Mac will be a starter.

As far as character choices though, while Medusa is the iconic, traditional, recurring villain of the series, and that gives her obvious merit, Hades is shown in Uprising to be the one having always been pulling the strings (bigger bad trope). In a series where the main evil force is the Underworld, the implication of Hades was already in place, and Uprising brought it to light. Within that game, too, Hades stands out much more as both a villain and a character than Medusa does.
Moveset-wise, Hades shows just as much if not more potential than Medusa. They both are shown using Dark Magic-esque abilities, Hades turns various parts of his body into drills...you could have a lot of fun with his moveset.
In either case, I don't really care for a second Kid Icarus rep in SSB in the first place, and I think Palutena has her obvious merits when you throw her into the mix as well.
So,everything magic? Not even one physical move?
That doesn't seem very smashy for smash bros.

Last edited:

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691

I would have loved to see Viridi in the game, but Palutena is my go-to gal. Wouldn't mind Medusa, either.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Actually though,there is one flaw in my opinion. I don't really think Mac will be a starter.
I think he will be. He's a very popular character from a very popular franchise. One which didn't have an installment too long ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom