• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Ok, so you'll support ****ty one-shot over K.Rool-esque Medusa. What's wrong with you people? You defend K.Rool as the "main villain" of the DK series, then toss Medusa into a gutter. If Palutena is an AT, I'll sit, laugh, watch the world burn, then put up a Medusa banner.
Hades just has more potential to be recurrring villain, has the best personality over all KI characters, I personally think he's better than Medusa.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I love the surprises, but I don't want them to supremely outprioritize the characters who are or should be bigger priorities, like Mewtwo and Ridley. Honestly, Wii Fit Trainer amused me a lot and satisfied me in terms of having a surprise in the game. But if there's more surprises in lieu of major Nintendo icons, I'll be a little disheartened. Not a lot, but a little.
This. Smash Bros is more about having Nintendo's All-Stars, the latest and greatest, duke it out in a free for all. Not a crap ton of their obscure choices. The idea of adding them is a novelty. But add too many of them, and the roster, in my opinion, deteriorates.

A preference for retro characters is fine. But that isn't the purpose of the game really. Adding more retro characters, or even equal amounts to newer ones, goes against the game. It would essentially deteriorate the roster.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
I love the surprises, but I don't want them to supremely outprioritize the characters who are or should be bigger priorities, like Mewtwo and Ridley. Honestly, Wii Fit Trainer amused me a lot and satisfied me in terms of having a surprise in the game. But if there's more surprises in lieu of major Nintendo icons, I'll be a little disheartened. Not a lot, but a little.
Actually, couldn't certain characters like Ridley count as surprises? After all, so many people think of him as utterly impossible. I would also argue that most newcomers we've seen have had some kind of surprise factor to them; Villager was also considered impossible, Mega Man was Third Party, Wii Fit Trainer was... yeah, Rosalina was a rather underdog Mario choice, and Little Mac was the first example of a promoted Assist.

I think there are plenty of ways to be surprising with roster selections aside from going the Wii Fit Trainer route and adding characters that no one predicted. Otherwise the roster just becomes questionable.

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
This. Smash Bros is more about having Nintendo's All-Stars, the latest and greatest, duke it out in a free for all. Not a crap ton of their obscure choices. The idea of adding them is a novelty. But add too many of them, and the roster, in my opinion, deteriorates.

A preference for retro characters is fine. But that isn't the purpose of the game really. Adding more retro characters, or even equal amounts to newer ones, goes against the game. It would essentially deteriorate the roster.
Who said there were going to be more retro/obscure characters?
I only expect 1-3 of them.

Personally the revealing of Wii Fit Trainer tells there will be a few more surprises in the roster.

Last edited:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Ok, so you'll support ****ty one-shot over K.Rool-esque Medusa. What's wrong with you people? You defend K.Rool as the "main villain" of the DK series, then toss Medusa into a gutter. If Palutena is an AT, I'll sit, laugh, watch the world burn, then put up a Medusa banner.
I get the feeling it's because very few people here grew up with the original Kid Icarus titles. Meanwhile the same people have at least played DK64 in their childhood. Thus K. Rool >>>>Medusa in their opinion. It's the same with the Mario crew; Bowser Jr. is huge, whilst I as an older gamer have far more love for the mushroom man as I still recall when he was a total badass.

To be fair to Palutena as a total neutral to her inclusion; she was in the originals too, albeit with a crappy damsel role. But hey; characters have gotten in on less I guess.

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
Good afternoon all, hope you're doing well, and the final newcomer of my roster finally has a moveset video, Pac-Man!

Now I know how controversial this guy's inclusion is, but I did really try to diverse his moveset a bit and turn him into a unique character and hopefully a bit more accepted this time around.

Cobalsh

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2578-3430-9913
I get the feeling it's because very few people here grew up with the original Kid Icarus titles. Meanwhile the same people have at least played DK64 in their childhood. Thus K. Rool >>>>Medusa in their opinion. It's the same with the Mario crew; Bowser Jr. is huge, whilst I as an older gamer have far more love for the mushroom man as I still recall when he was a total badass.

To be fair to Palutena as a total neutral to her inclusion; she was in the originals too, albeit with a crappy damsel role. But hey; characters have gotten in on less I guess.
That doesn't change the fact that he's a one shot. The only problem is that he's not treated like other recent one-shots, like Tiki Tong or Ghirahim. He reminds me of the stereotypical **** villain. Ghirahim is interesting and Tiki Tong sucks.

?????????????

Smash Master
This in the new one? Getting it on launch day. Anyway, here's my roster, you sorry saps!
Most of my comments are personal gripes, so don't take them to heart, but here's my opinions:

-I don't see a point in the Diddy/Dixie combo; both characters work fine on their own. It's not like Pikmin and Olimar or the Pokemon Trainer, where the additional characters depend on the primary character, the Ice Climbers, where we literally never see Nana without Popo, or Zelda/Sheik, where it's the same literal character using a different fighting style. Diddy and Dixie both have more appearances and more abilities as individuals than a single unit, especially Diddy Kong. Giving Diddy a partner seems like such an unneccessary tack-on to me, when the bulk of his appearances are either on his own or paired with Donkey.

-I don't see Ghirahim having any sort of edge over other one-shot Zelda villains, or (moreso) recurring Zelda characters. He's workable, but to me, he seems like such a mirror of other characters like Skull Kid or Zant, both of which were passed up for more recurring characters like Ganondorf and Toon Link. I highly doubt he'd be chosen over characters like Tetra or Tingle, but of course, I could be wrong.

-I simply prefer original Trainer over Kalos Trainer. I think it's unique enough to where it's an unnecessary change, and the Kanto starters are just as relevant, if not moreso given that they have Mega Evolutions.

-Everything else looks fine to me. I personally am not a big fan of Saki, Dillon, and Pac-man, but I think they're reasonable enough. I like Ray a lot.

Last edited:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
That doesn't change the fact that he's a one shot. The only problem is that he's not treated like other recent one-shots, like Tiki Tong or Ghirahim. He reminds me of the stereotypical **** villain. Ghirahim is interesting and Tiki Tong sucks.
Hey, I agree it's not right. I just get the feeling that's why people are supporting him over Medusa. I'd rather not have any one shots honestly(except in Mother and Fire Emblem due to the nature of those games).

So you don't think Hades is interesting. O_o
My problem with Hades(and actually a lot of the KI cast) is a lot of his appeal comes from the witty writing, which I'm worried will translate poorly to a fighting game. Hearing a great joke once is fantastic...but if you have to listen to it over and over it may drain the humour a little.

Last edited:

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
Good afternoon all, hope you're doing well, and the final newcomer of my roster finally has a moveset video, Pac-Man!

Now I know how controversial this guy's inclusion is, but I did really try to diverse his moveset a bit and turn him into a unique character and hopefully a bit more accepted this time around.
To be honest, as much as I can agree with people on here not liking Pac-Man, I have to say he has a fair shot, and personally I would like to see him included.

?????????????

Smash Master

While I'm not a big fan of Pac-man in SSB4, I think he's reasonable as a choice and has enough to work with to make a solid moveset.

Your moveset looks very good to me, but I'm a little unsure of the Standard Special. The randomness of it seems like it would be difficult for players to implement; they have no idea if he's going to shoot a projectile or roll forward, so it's a big gamble. I do like the variety put into it, but I think a little more consistency in the effects would help. Also, question: once he's gone through all of his uses, do they reset?

The Standard Special was my only hesitation though. Everything else looks great! You went through and incorporated a lot of Pac's abilities, and the Final Smash is wonderful.

Last edited:

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
Technically, Medusa only appeared as the main antagonist of ONE Kid Icarus game (the original).

Then the second one had a completely separate villain who was never mentioned again.

And In Uprising, Hades is the real main villain, and was that way to the player for the majority of the game. After Chapter 9, it is 100% Hades (except for the ending which involved Medusa.

So importance wise, Medusa and Hades are basically even, especially when you consider the events of the original Kid Icarus where most likely planned out by Hades in the official canon.

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
While I'm not a big fan of Pac-man in SSB4, I think he's reasonable as a choice and has enough to work with to make a solid moveset.

Your moveset looks very good to me, but I'm a little unsure of the Standard Special. The randomness of it seems like it would be difficult for players to implement; they have no idea if he's going to shoot a projectile or roll forward, so it's a big gamble. I do like the variety put into it, but I think a little more consistency in the effects would help. Also, question: once he's gone through all of his uses, do they reset?

The Standard Special was my only hesitation though. Everything else looks great! You went through and incorporated a lot of Pac's abilities, and the Final Smash is wonderful.
Well the effects also come with a costume change like Pac-Man would get in The Ghostly Adventures when acquiring a Power Berry, so it'll be easy to distinct one from the other, and not to mention each power berry is designed to be reasonably useful and easy to use so a player can easily flow between different berries. Not to mention the attacks of each berry will not instigate until the B button is tapped again, so players get a moment to see what kind of power it is they possess before setting it off, making it a bit less random and unpredictable and get a better handle on the one-time use berries.

And yes, the berries will reset after every use, some even to the point where you can get multiple of the same berry in a row if you're lucky.

?????????????

Smash Master
Well the effects also come with a costume change like Pac-Man would get in The Ghostly Adventures when acquiring a Power Berry, so it'll be easy to distinct one from the other, and not to mention each power berry is designed to be reasonably useful and easy to use so a player can easily flow between different berries. Not to mention the attacks of each berry will not instigate until the B button is tapped again, so players get a moment to see what kind of power it is they possess before setting it off, making it a bit less random and unpredictable and get a better handle on the one-time use berries.

And yes, the berries will reset after every use, some even to the point where you can get multiple of the same berry in a row if you're lucky.
Yeah, I didn't fully understand the berry thing at first. That makes way more sense. I question if that gives him too much utility, but I think it's reasonable.

Malcolm Belmont

Smash Ace
NNID
King Joffery
Technically, Medusa only appeared as the main antagonist of ONE Kid Icarus game (the original).

Then the second one had a completely separate villain who was never mentioned again.

And In Uprising, Hades is the real main villain, and was that way to the player for the majority of the game. After Chapter 9, it is 100% Hades (except for the ending which involved Medusa.

So importance wise, Medusa and Hades are basically even, especially when you consider the events of the original Kid Icarus where most likely planned out by Hades in the official canon.
Anyway Hades is a much more intresting charcter and can make for a really interesting play-style a bit like Doctor Strange from UMVC3

?????????????

Smash Master
If we're talking about second Kid Icarus characters, I think Palutena, Medusa, and Hades all have enough to work with to be interesting playable characters in SSB4, and all of them are reasonably arguable enough for the position.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
-I don't see Ghirahim having any sort of edge over other one-shot Zelda villains, or (moreso) recurring Zelda characters. He's workable, but to me, he seems like such a mirror of other characters like Skull Kid or Zant, both of which were passed up for more recurring characters like Ganondorf and Toon Link. I highly doubt he'd be chosen over characters like Tetra or Tingle, but of course, I could be wrong.
Well, first off, Zant was never popular.

Second, Ghirahim's main assets are uniqueness and popularity. Midna was the popular choice for Brawl - however, she became popular a year after Brawl's roster was finished, skewing her chances.

However, Sakurai has had plenty of time to consider using Ghirahim or Midna for SSB4. Skull Kid, I imagine, doesn't have many moves to work with - these two do, and I believe that increases their chances. It's unlikely, but not out of the question.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
My problem with Hades(and actually a lot of the KI cast) is a lot of his appeal comes from the witty writing, which I'm worried will translate poorly to a fighting game. Hearing a great joke once is fantastic...but if you have to listen to it over and over it may drain the humour a little.
If he was playable I think his appeal as a character would come from the moves he would use in a trollish fashion. He's basically a Ganondorf with surprise unpredicability. He doesn't really have to be dialogue heavy to be an entertaining character.

Last edited:

Malcolm Belmont

Smash Ace
NNID
King Joffery

Second, Ghirahim's main assets are uniqueness and popularity. Midna was the popular choice for Brawl - however, she became popular a year after Brawl's roster was finished, skewing her chances.

However, Sakurai has had plenty of time to consider using Ghirahim or Midna for SSB4. Skull Kid, I imagine, doesn't have many moves to work with - these two do, and I believe that increases their chances. It's unlikely, but not out of the question.
Personally the one i want to represent Skyward Sword is Impa a modified version of Sheik's moveset just like how i want Ganondorf to be changed and give his moveset to Black Shadow with a few modifactations ( BS is the main villain of the F-Zero Games) but i would not mind seeing Ghirahim

?????????????

Smash Master

No. Zant was a popular choice for SSBB; I saw plenty of people who were sure he would be included, or even replace Ganondorf. And moveset wise, he was plenty unique.

If, like Zant, Ghirahim is not in this SSB, he will be in the exact same boat, and just as forgotten.

Last edited:

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
If he was playable I think his appeal as a character would come from the moves he would use in a trollish fashion. He's basically a Ganondorf with surprise unpredicability. He doesn't really have to be dialogue heavy to be an entertaining character.
So basically, a cross between Ganny and myself?

I'd pay so much money for Ganondoof to be a real thing.

But anyways, Hades is probably my most wanted Kid Icarus character, even Palutena is more likely for some reason.

Last edited:

9Volt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Star_Fox_Team
This, Hades have more potential tham Palutena and a lot of newcomers that people always say only to be hive minded (K. K. Roll) I mean every single roster is the same, thanks god Sakurai thinks out of the box because internet shows us that is a gift.

If was me, Hades will be priority.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
No. Zant was a popular choice for SSBB; I saw plenty of people who were sure he would be included, or even replace Ganondorf. And moveset wise, he was plenty unique.

If, like Zant, Ghirahim is not in this SSB, he will be in the exact same boat, and just as forgotten.
Perhaps, but Zant's popularity was nothing compared to Midna.
Midna is to Zant as Ghirahim is to Groose.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
ITT: Everyone can be unique, and popularity is subjective.

I think Zelda is more than fine with just the Triforce trio + Tink, and that a 2nd KI rep would be neat, but not necessary. I prefer Medusa because snakes.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
ITT: Everyone can be unique, and popularity is subjective.

I think Zelda is more than fine with just the Triforce trio + Tink, and that a 2nd KI rep would be neat, but not necessary. I prefer Medusa because snakes.
Every franchise could be considered 'fine' the way it is. That's not an interesting argument.

Popularity gets them noticed, potential gets them chosen.

Sakurai definitely considered Bowser Jr. And Waluigi, but Rosalina struck him as the best choice.
Just like he definitey considered Ghirahim, or Tingle, or Midna, but who he chooses, if anyone, will be determined by the potential Sakurai sees.

Last edited:

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Am I the only person who actually likes Zant more than Ghira-*shot*

In the end, both of them just turned out to be pawns being used by Ganondorf, or err, the OG Demise in Debbie's case.

Of course obviously my favorite Zelda villain is Ganondorf himself, I'd have to pick Skull Kid + Majora combo for my favorite minor villain though.

Any thoughts as to why most think another Zelda character has to be a villain? Most people cry Ghirahim or Vaati, and Skull Kid had quite the following before. Not that I'd want a Toon Zelda or Tetra (please no), but I'm not really keen on another villain either. That's why the Happy Mask Salesman Tingle really fits the job for me.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
This, Hades have more potential tham Palutena and a lot of newcomers that people always say only to be hive minded (K. K. Roll) I mean every single roster is the same, thanks god Sakurai thinks out of the box because internet shows us that is a gift.

If was me, Hades will be priority.
King K. Rool > Hades. Thank god you're not Sakurai. ;)

Anyway, Zelda is such a big franchise, I can't agree with it being fine with the Triforce and Toon Link only. It needs at least one more rep. My personal favorite is Toon Zelda (with Tetra or Phantom Zelda), but I support Ghirahim and Midna too.

Last edited:

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
You think we put King K. Rool just to appease to everyone else? You don't think maybe, he's a beloved villain from a set of old games that many people loved and would be absolutely ecstatic to see him be brought back from the abyss of being neglected by Nintendo? No, King K. Rool isn't the one character that I would flip my lid and cry of happiness over to see in Smash, I'm just putting him on my roster so "I won't be different from everyone else." That's just absurdly rude.

9Volt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Star_Fox_Team
You think we put King K. Rool just to appease to everyone else? You don't think maybe, he's a beloved villain from a set of old games that many people loved and would be absolutely ecstatic to see him be brought back from the abyss of being neglected by Nintendo? No, King K. Rool isn't the one character that I would flip my lid and cry of happiness over to see in Smash, I'm just putting him on my roster so "I won't be different from everyone else." That's just absurdly rude.
Not just only K.K.Rool and not just to please everybody, is just to be hive minded, is hard to think out the box. I mean almost every single roster that people put online is the same thing, is the Geno effect all over.

And about K.K.Rool, what is so great about him? He is a fat crocodile that stole babanas on the first game and pretend that have died, in the second and third game he is so different that when I was a kid I thought that was just his brother or whatever.
His personality is so blank that they change hes theme every single time saying: "Whatever just put a coat on him and say he is a mad scientist because we just want to"

Hades is the god of death, manipulated the entire Kid Icarus universe and his heart alone has more personality that lazy crocodile. K.Rool represents your childhood, I get it but just let it go people.

Just to clarify, I hate him because I don´t see depth but If you like him or he end in the game....okay. Just try to give personality to your roster. Put Glass Joe, Sheriff, Krystal, 9Volt, Mona, Medusa, Rocket Team, Master Hand and etc.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Not just only K.K.Rool and not just to please everybody, is just to be hive minded, is hard to think out the box. I mean almost every single roster that people put online is the same thing, is the Geno effect all over.

And about K.K.Rool, what is so great about him? He is a fat crocodile that stole babanas on the first game and pretend that have died, in the second and third game he is so different that when I was a kid I thought that was just his brother or whatever.
His personality is so blank that they change hes theme every single time saying: "Whatever just put a coat on him and say he is a mad scientist because we just want to"

Hades is the god of death, manipulated the entire Kid Icarus universe and his heart alone has more personality that lazy crocodile. K.Rool represents your childhood, I get it but just let it go people.
Well, in one post you pretty much proved you don't know much about K. Rool...

9Volt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Star_Fox_Team
Well, in one post you pretty much proved you don't know much about K. Rool...
I played all games that he was in LESS DK64. Then prove me wrong, I would like to (find a new nintendo char to love is always cool)

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
King K. Rool is to Donkey Kong like Bowser is to Mario, Ganondorf is to Link and Zelda or Ridley is to Samus. You know, the arch-nemesis and most recurring villain of the series.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I played all games that he was in LESS DK64. Then prove me wrong, I would like to (find a new nintendo char to love is always cool)
Will do.

Just to clarify, I hate him because I don´t see depth but If you like him or he end in the game....okay. Just try to give personality to your roster. Put Glass Joe, Sheriff, Krystal, 9Volt, Mona, Medusa, Rocket Team, Master Hand and etc.
To start, his name is King K. Rool. I think you may be mixing him up with K.K. Slider. Besides that, though, he's on a lot of rosters for good reasons. This alone makes him incomparable to Geno, who is a one-shot third party character owned by Square Enix and is part of a much larger franchise.

You claim he has no personality, but that's false. Not that personality gets you into Smash, but still, false nonetheless. K. Rool arguably has the most personality of the major Nintendo villains. Him changing occupations and costumes isn't a sign that he's a blank slate: it means he's nuts. K. Rool has some serious mental issues. He's quite literally insane, hence the sporadic costume changes. Not to mention, he's much different than Bowser or Ganondorf in this regard. Ganondorf is the ruthless, but effective villain who is powerful beyond comprehension. Bowser is the rough villain who's stubborn and stuck in his ways. K. Rool's plan was to cause the Kongs to starve to death. That's why he stole the bananas. He's psychotic.

Over all, his insanity is what gives him personality, but also what makes him a fearsome villain. He's unpredictable and can plan your execution without you even knowing it. Not to mention he uses really underhanded tactics, so he's by no means "playing by the rules." He fakes death to try to get the foe off-guard before killing them with cannonballs.

That's where you seem to have completely misinterpreted K. Rool: he's brimming with personality, not lacking in it.

9Volt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Star_Fox_Team
Sorry, but some people here prefer to make serious predictions.
Yeah...Rob, Ice Climbers, WFT, G&W, Jiglipuff, Ness, Lucas, Pichu, Dr.Mario...I really need to go on?

To start, his name is King K. Rool. I think you may be mixing him up with K.K. Slider. Besides that, though, he's on a lot of rosters for good reasons. This alone makes him incomparable to Geno, who is a one-shot third party character owned by Square Enix and is part of a much larger franchise.

You claim he has no personality, but that's false. Not that personality gets you into Smash, but still, false nonetheless. K. Rool arguably has the most personality of the major Nintendo villains. Him changing occupations and costumes isn't a sign that he's a blank slate: it means he's nuts. K. Rool has some serious mental issues. He's quite literally insane, hence the sporadic costume changes. Not to mention, he's much different than Bowser or Ganondorf in this regard. Ganondorf is the ruthless, but effective villain who is powerful beyond comprehension. Bowser is the rough villain who's stubborn and stuck in his ways. K. Rool's plan was to cause the Kongs to starve to death. That's why he stole the bananas. He's psychotic.

Over all, his insanity is what gives him personality, but also what makes him a fearsome villain. He's unpredictable and can plan your execution without you even knowing it. Not to mention he uses really underhanded tactics, so he's by no means "playing by the rules." He fakes death to try to get the foe off-guard before killing them with cannonballs.

That's where you seem to have completely misinterpreted K. Rool: he's brimming with personality, not lacking in it.
I say K.K.Rool just to abbreviate the King part. Let´s just say that IF he is in Sakurai could make him more appealing. I don´t think he is DK arch nemesis, he is a defeted foe from the past. The DK series survived after him, I personally prefer Tiki Tak Tribe....
Let´s agree on disagree, I see why you like him...let´s just wait...(Hades is still way more awesome) XP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom