• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

XLIFE

Smash Journeyman
NNID
fevariblaze
Getting three completely different variations of the title character of one of the biggest franchises in gaming isn't too much of a stretch. It would actually be a good way to represent the franchise. Don't forget that we almost got four Zeldas in Brawl.
Three variations of the same character a good representation for a franchise? Can't agree with you there. LoZ introduces cool characters each game, and they should be put aside to have another version of Zelda? I don't think they should honestly. It doesn't matter if they're "one shots" like Ghirahim, Zant, Midna or even characters like Vaati. They shouldn't be disregarded to such an extent.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Hopefully it will be an original Ganondorf... I want to see Ganondorf use some of his actual dark magic from the games.

Then again, we did get Robin, so my need for dark magic is satisfied to a degree.
At the very least I want the Neutral Special changed. I need my Dead Man's Volley tennis match. :p

Scamper52596

Smash Lord
Premium
Three variations of the same character a good representation for a franchise? Can't agree with you there. LoZ introduces cool characters each game, and they should be put aside to have another version of Zelda? I don't think they should honestly. It doesn't matter if they're "one shots" like Ghirahim, Zant, Midna or even characters like Vaati. They shouldn't be disregarded to such an extent.
Maybe they shouldn't, (I'm probably going to get flamed for posting this) but unfortunately I think they probably have been disregarded. I have a different view of how it seems Sakurai picks characters to represent the different franchises in Smash. If a character can't represent at least a majority of the franchise, they often seem to get overlooked. That's probably the reason we've only ever had Link, Ganondorf, and Zelda (Sheik is still Zelda). I don't want to get into it too much, but if for any reason you want to see in more detail what I'm talking about, I'll refer you to the middle of page 1,089 where you can read all my posts on the subject.

Weeman

Smash Crusader
Nah, i'd rather give him the trident instead, that sword from Melee isn't really iconic, neither is the one from Twilight Princess.

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Yeah, I find both a SS character and Ridley unlikely at this point, but if we get one, I'm willing to give the theory a bit more credence. As it stands now though, it's only "predicted" newcomers from two games that everyone was predicting we'd get newcomers from anyway, and two of the series where a newcomer was a highly safe bet...
Oh, I actually think Ridley is highly likely at this point, though I understand that the topic is rather controversial...

If we do get Ridley, I suppose that would make a Zelda newcomer a bit more likely, but until a Zelda newcomer is revealed, I won't believe the Trophy theory has much meaning.

XLIFE

Smash Journeyman
NNID
fevariblaze
Maybe they shouldn't, (I'm probably going to get flamed for posting this) but unfortunately I think they probably have been disregarded. I have a different view of how it seems Sakurai picks characters to represent the different franchises in Smash. If a character can't represent at least a majority of the franchise, they often seem to get overlooked. That's probably the reason we've only ever had Link, Ganondorf, and Zelda (Sheik is still Zelda). I don't want to get into it too much, but if for any reason you want to see in more detail what I'm talking about, I'll refer you to the middle of page 1,089 where you can read all my posts on the subject.
I know what you mean by saying why they're chosen in Melee/Brawl (By they I mean Young/Toon), but to be fair in Melee they(Clones) were added to bump up the roster and Brawl replaced Young with Toon. At the state Smash is in now, it has already included the key characters from their main series (Excluding DK & Metroid), if they were to add anymore characters they have to go for lesser known characters. Take Rosalina for example, she's gaining a lot of popularity now, but she isn't a key character to the franchise at the level of Peach, Luigi, or Bowser. From Sm4sh forward they need these characters if they ever think of adding more reps for these franchises. They could keep adding variants of the same characters, but that wouldn't represent variety for Smash, which by recent interviews we know Sakurai is going for.

toobladooblasdfghtkdjdhfngj

Banned via Warnings
At the very least I want the Neutral Special changed. I need my Dead Man's Volley tennis match. :p
It should only be used for punishing zoning and allowing an opportunity to get in. Ganondorf is clearly designed to muscle his way into battle and abuse his raw strength, now he just needs the tools to do it. However, having a projectile on par with say Falco's blaster is not the answer.

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
Sure, but that wasn't a playable character. (Which was the whole point that a stage didn't necessarily mean a specific rep from the game it was based on)

Maybe we'll get a dlc taunt for Link that gives him Ghirahims tongue.
Yeah I know what you meant, I'm just saying in a way we still get a stage for each character.

~Krystal~

True American Heroine
Let's spice it up and discuss Happy Mask Salesman. With Skull Kid deconfirmed, his chances look real good. :troll:

Scamper52596

Smash Lord
Premium
I know what you mean by saying why they're chosen in Melee/Brawl (By they I mean Young/Toon), but to be fair in Melee they(Clones) were added to bump up the roster and Brawl replaced Young with Toon. At the state Smash is in now, it has already included the key characters from their main series (Excluding DK & Metroid), if they were to add anymore characters they have to go for lesser known characters. Take Rosalina for example, she's gaining a lot of popularity now, but she isn't a key character to the franchise at the level of Peach, Luigi, or Bowser. From Sm4sh forward they need these characters if they ever think of adding more reps for these franchises. They could keep adding variants of the same characters, but that wouldn't represent variety for Smash, which by recent interviews we know Sakurai is going for.
That's true. Most of the franchises with multiple characters representing them already have the key characters they need, but I haven't noticed any lesser known characters added to franchises with multiple characters. Only when they're representing their own franchise do lesser known characters seem to become playable. I think Rosalina was a good choice to continue the Mario representation. She didn't have to be added, but she is able to represent two of the six major 3D Mario games that Nintendo has made. She has also been in plenty of Mario spin offs since. She's not going anywhere, which is why Rosalina is a contender. I haven't seen any character added in Smash 4 that doesn't mean much to the franchise they're from. Palutena is definitely a big part of Kid Icarus, which is why she was added instead of other characters like Magnus. I could be entirely wrong, but this is definitely a pattern I've noticed for characters becoming playable in Smash.

Scamper52596

Smash Lord
Premium
so what does mean for wolf's chances of returning
Are you referring to my argument? I think his chances are really good. He's the major rival of the Star Fox franchise. He's been in most of the canon games, except for Adventures. That's probably the reason he was added in Brawl in the first place.

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
Are you referring to my argument? I think his chances are really good. He's the major rival of the Star Fox franchise. He's been in most of the canon games, except for Adventures. That's probably the reason he was added in Brawl in the first place.
Last time I checked, Adventures wasn't canon.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
I had a crazy idea. What if we got that ghost dog from Luigi's mansion dark moon?

As an assist trophy

Weeman

Smash Crusader
Well I'm plenty sure Command isn't canon. I just played that game recently. I can tell why they stopped making Star Fox games for a while. They wanted people to forget how terrible that game was.
Well i'd agree with command, but mainly for the endings. But Adventures and Assault are definitely canon.

mark welford

Smash Ace
if he does return he deserves that spot more than krystal does we have more than enough female characters where is the villainous love in this game? that is one reason why he should return

Scamper52596

Smash Lord
Premium
Well i'd agree with command, but mainly for the endings. But Adventures and Assault are definitely canon.
We're arguing about this now, but it's entirely possible that Star Fox U could disregard the old timeline, and start a new one.

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
We're arguing about this now, but it's entirely possible that Star Fox U could disregard the old timeline, and start a new one.
That's exactly what I was thinking. I heard rumors that it's a direct sequel to Starfox 64 (technically the most recent via remake). That in a way could kill Krystal's story off if they wanted it to.

Niala

Smash Ace
I hope a certain bird of prey makes it back with him.
hands off my bread

I was under the impression Adventures wasn't created to be a Star Fox game, but another franchise altogether, and that it was changed over in it's concept development with the intention of boosting sales through a known franchise. I have no idea if that's just hearsay or not, but if that is to be the case, I can understand why it wouldn't be truly canon.

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
Ah, okay. If the new game starts anew after Star Fox 64, I wouldn't want them to get rid of Krystal's character entirely. Hopefully they'll just create a new background for her.
Yeah, I don't hate her for sure, I'm just pointing to a possible conclusion that may lead to her being done for. I thought that Command and Adventures were both not very well liked, which lead me to assume that it could be a 64 sequel even more so.

I wanted Krystal in Brawl, but my want for her has decreased due to both her not being around in ages, and the fact that many more characters that I like more have arisen.

mark welford

Smash Ace
I heard there is supposed to be a new mode where you play entirely as wolf but you know you cant believe everything you see on the internet these days but at the same time I hope its true

XLIFE

Smash Journeyman
NNID
fevariblaze
That's true. Most of the franchises with multiple characters representing them already have the key characters they need, but I haven't noticed any lesser known characters added to franchises with multiple characters. Only when they're representing their own franchise do lesser known characters seem to become playable. I think Rosalina was a good choice to continue the Mario representation. She didn't have to be added, but she is able to represent two of the six major 3D Mario games that Nintendo has made. She has also been in plenty of Mario spin offs since. She's not going anywhere, which is why Rosalina is a contender. I haven't seen any character added in Smash 4 that doesn't mean much to the franchise they're from. Palutena is definitely a big part of Kid Icarus, which is why she was added instead of other characters like Magnus. I could be entirely wrong, but this is definitely a pattern I've noticed for characters becoming playable in Smash.
I'm not arguing Rosalina was a bad choice nor am I saying they have added lesser known characters, but the fact is if they want to add more reps for those franchises they need to head in that direction. I feel I don't have to say this, but Sakurai? That man can't be predicted. We can speculate all we want, but he lives to troll us to no end. Patterns mean nothing to him, hell he's said time and time again something that contradicts a quote from a past interview. It's safe to say we'll see one of these characters soon.

mark welford

Smash Ace
I'm not arguing Rosalina was a bad choice nor am I saying they have added lesser known characters, but the fact is if they want to add more reps for those franchises they need to head in that direction. I feel I don't have to say this, but Sakurai? That man can't be predicted. We can speculate all we want, but he lives to troll us to no end. Patterns mean nothing to him, hell he's said time and time again something that contradicts a quote from a past interview. It's safe to say we'll see one of these characters soon.
I agree with your statement I said a couple pages back that masahiro sakurai is like the mad hatter in some aspects you can not predict his next move nor is he easy to read if you can read his moves and predict the world's greatest troll easily you must have some great unearthly powers within yourself

Scamper52596

Smash Lord
Premium
Don't worry. I wasn't insinuating that you thought Rosalina was a bad choice. I was just using her to prove my point further. And you're right. Sakurai can't be predicted. That's why I try to think around the box when figuring out what characters he picks to become playable. I eventually ascertained what kind of characters I believe he picks to become playable. I may not be able to completely predict characters, but I feel that my ideology gives me a greater sense of what characters would be considered and prioritzed more so than others characters in a given franchise. So far it hasn't been wrong. I'll reconsider my stance when I see Panther representing Star Fox, Ghirahim representing Zelda, Prince Fluff representing Kirby, Kiddy Kong representing Donkey Kong, or some random Space Pirate representing Metroid. I just don't think they're at the bottom of the barrel yet when finding iconic characters to represent their franchises.

Weeman

Smash Crusader
hands off my bread

I was under the impression Adventures wasn't created to be a Star Fox game, but another franchise altogether, and that it was changed over in it's concept development with the intention of boosting sales through a known franchise. I have no idea if that's just hearsay or not, but if that is to be the case, I can understand why it wouldn't be truly canon.
Yes but my point is that the whole canon argument is kinda dull, i mean since 64 was a remake of the original, then only that one is canon? Adventures wasn't meant to be a Star Fox game yes but it ended up being one, and two other games decided to continue the story from there. And it's not like Star Fox has some sort of strict lore that says what is Canon and what is not, so until we hear from the developers that Adventures and the other games were supposed to be taken as it's own thing outside of some "main universe", then we can consider canon and non-canons.

Last edited:

mark welford

Smash Ace
im just going to be straightforward and honest with you guys I don't care about canons and non-canons or remake I just care about if I like the game or not

Morbi

Scavenger
I agree with your statement I said a couple pages back that masahiro sakurai is like the mad hatter in some aspects you can not predict his next move nor is he easy to read if you can read his moves and predict the world's greatest troll easily you must have some great unearthly powers within yourself
Sakurai is fairly predictable (in terms of character selection) for the most part, you just have to use logic and ignore the bandwagon appeal fallacy that is the Smasboards hive-mind. So far, I have "predicted" every character aside from Greninja (which I missed because of an erroneous presumption and my inherent bias against Pokemon Trainer).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom