• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
I'd argue the not-so-good doctor would be more ideal, considering the franchise started with just Sonic and Eggman.

Heck, even before the franchise got its start and there were a bunch other characters never to be seen again, Eggman always was a part of it. Even before Sonic himself came into the picture, Eggman as a caricature of Teddy Roosevelt in pajamas was a potential option for the role of protagonist.
I agree, the only thing holding me back from considering him the most ideal choice is how he would be implemented in Smash. As an evil genius, he should use a lot of machinery and robots. While that shouldn't hold him back, I'm just worried that they would somehow screw his character up. However, it would be very interesting to see him implemented correctly. I'm always up to see the main antagonist of a series before anyone else(barring the protagonist). I simply think Tails would be slightly easier to add.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I agree, the only thing holding me back from considering him the most ideal choice is how he would be implemented in Smash. As an evil genius, he uses a lot of machinery and robots. While that shouldn't hold him back, I'm just worried that they would somehow screw his character up. However, it would be very interesting to see him implemented correctly. I'm always up to see the main antagonist of a series before anyone else(barring the protagonist). I simply think Tails would be slightly easier to add.
Whether it's Tails or RRRRRRRobotnik, they'll primarily be Fighters based.
I can imagine some aspects from SA2B's Egg Walker being thrown in, though.

mark welford

Smash Ace
I agree, the only thing holding me back from considering him the most ideal choice is how he would be implemented in Smash. As an evil genius, he uses a lot of machinery and robots. While that shouldn't hold him back, I'm just worried that they would somehow screw his character up. However, it would be very interesting to see him implemented correctly. I'm always up to see the main antagonist of a series before anyone else(barring the protagonist). I simply think Tails would be slightly easier to add.
that would be a interesting thing to see if he would be implemented but I still think tails should be the 2nd sonic representative after that it is free game for everyone else to join

XLIFE

Smash Journeyman
NNID
fevariblaze
but bayonetta does not have as much popularity as sonic I still it should be tails all they would have to do is use his moveset from sonic battle his final smash would be his plane he would fly around the stage shooting opponents
The only reason I'd see Bayo in is if Nintendo sees potential for the series in the long run. Platinum already said they don't care if their games sell or not on Wii U, they love the W101 and Bayo series enough to keep them going with Nintendo's support. She'd be a cool addition, it'd be a good promotion for those who are not familiar with her, and would bring their relationship that much closer.

Another Sonic character would leave a bitter taste tbh. I love the series, but as much as I'd want Shadow or Knuckles to be playable, it wouldn't make sense to include them to such a high degree.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Woops, that was an accident, my bad.
Though I would like to hear from more people about how Pac-Man's trailer is a possible continuation of another newcomer trailer.
I highly doubt there would be any sort of continuation of it. That last bit was just some fun trivia to end the reveal of a classic gaming icon. It doesn't need a continuation.

Zhadgon

Smash Lord
NNID
Zhadgon
I'd just remove Ghirahim for another classic Nintendo character, and you're good.
No really, I don´t even like Ghirahim but the evidence is there, where he seems the most likely new comer from Zelda, Skyward Sword level (Skyloft) and the trophy quiz in the Smash Direct make me realize that our fabulous villain is in. Look at the hints:

Wii Fit Studio - WFT
Willy´s Castle - Mega Man
Town and City - Villager
Mario Galaxy - Rosalina
Boxing Ring - Little Mac
Kalos Pokémon League - Greninja
Pilot Wings/Tomodachi Collection/Find Mii - Mii Fighters
Palutena's Temple - Palutena
Pac-Maze/Pac-Land - Pac-Man
Arena Ferox - Robin - Lucina

Skyloft - Ghirahim
Pyrosphere - Ridley

No lets see the trophy quiz in the Smash Direct:

Pseudo Palutena - Palutena
Tiki - Robin - Lucina

Fi - Ghirahim
King Kihunter - Ridley

Every new comer has a new "home stage" and the hints in the Direct seem to point to Ridley and Ghirahim as newcomers.

.n_n.

Last edited:

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
I should make a roster again.

It won't be realistic by board standards, but I'm going to try make it as "realistic" as I want.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
No really, I don´t even like Ghirahim but the evidence is there, where he seems the most likely new comer from Zelda, Skyward Sword level (Skyloft) and the trophy quiz in the Smash Direct make me realize that our fabulous villain is in. Look at the hints:

Wii Fit Studio - WFT
Willy´s Castle - Mega Man
Town and City - Willy's Castle
Mario Galaxy - Rosalina
Boxing Ring - Little Mac
Kalos Pokémon League - Greninja
Pilot Wings/Tomodachi Collection/Find Mii - Mii Fighters
Palutena's Temple - Palutena
Pac-Maze/Pac-Land - Pac-Man
Arena Ferox - Robin - Lucina

Skyloft - Ghirahim
Pyrosphere - Ridley

No lets see the trophy quiz in the Smash Direct:

Pseudo Palutena - Palutena
Tiki - Robin - Lucina

Fi - Ghirahim
King Kihunter - Ridley

Every new comer has a new "home stage" and the hints in the Direct seem to point to Ridley and Ghirahim as newcomers.

.n_n.
I don't think that's decisive evidence. The presence of a stage from one of the most recent Zelda games doesn't automatically mean that we'll get a character from it.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Wouldn't really count Kalos League and the Pac-stages, since they were shown straight out of the trailer along with their newcomers to even call them a hint.
I think the trophy theory is really grasping at straws and BS, I won't be on it until we see Ghirahim playable.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
I don't think that's decisive evidence. The presence of a stage from one of the most recent Zelda games doesn't automatically mean that we'll get a character from it.
I think you're forgetting that time back in brawl where we got Petey Piranha playable because of the Delfino Plaza stage.

Last edited:

Zhadgon

Smash Lord
NNID
Zhadgon
But the quiz is starting to sound more of a hint and I can see Sakurai reveling Skyloft so early to misdirect everyone showing more new comers from not Zelda to end with Ghirahim as playable character where no one was expecting it, of course Sakurai will laugh and say the hints were shown so early with the stage and the quiz and still people couldn´t see it coming, something I can see Sakurai do.
Wouldn't really count Kalos League and the Pac-stages, since they were shown straight out of the trailer along with their newcomers to even call them a hint.
I think the trophy theory is really grasping at straws and BS, I won't be on it until we see Ghirahim playable.
Obviously Kalos League and Pac-stages were not hintting to them becuase they wre not revealed until the new comers show but stages still count as "home stages" for such characters.

Before Robin-Lucina Direct I wouldn't expect that theory to be reliable but now I can see it happening.

.n_n.

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
But the quiz is starting to sound more of a hint and I can see Sakurai reveling Skyloft so early to misdirect everyone showing more new comers from not Zelda to end with Ghirahim as playable character where no one was expecting to end where Sakurai is laughing and saying the hints were shown so early with the stage and the quiz and still people couldn´t see it coming, something I can see Sakurai do.

Obviously Kalos League and Pac-stages were not hintting to them becuase they wre not revealed until the new comers show but stages still count as "home stages" for such characters.

Before Robin-Lucina Direct I wouldn't expect that theory to be reliable but now I can se it happening.

.n_n.
Still not decisive evidence. Skyloft is just a pretty basic choice for a generic Zelda stage, one that doesn't hint towards any newcomer in particular, and the trophy theory is just a theory. We can't definitely say Ghirahim will be in based on that.

Also, couldn't all the evidence for Ghirahim point towards Impa as well?

Scamper52596

Smash Lord
Premium
But the quiz is starting to sound more of a hint and I can see Sakurai reveling Skyloft so early to misdirect everyone showing more new comers from not Zelda to end with Ghirahim as playable character where no one was expecting it, of course Sakurai will laugh and say the hints were shown so early with the stage and the quiz and still people couldn´t see it coming, something I can see Sakurai do.

.n_n.
Or he could be holding back a new Wind Waker stage to promote WWHD while he shows us the abundance of Skyward Sword representation to make us think we're getting Ghirahim, and in the end we get Tetra to represent Wind Waker. Something I could also see Sakurai do.

Autumn ♫

I'm terrible with these Custom Titles.
I honestly thought that Skyloft was Link's stage, while Zelda's was the Spirit Train and Sheik's was Gerudo Valley, and then we get Ganondorf's castle for Ganondorf's stage, Dragon Roost Island, Forsaken Fortress, or Pirate Ship for Toon Link's, and Palace of Wind's for Vaati's.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
I honestly thought that Skyloft was Link's stage, while Zelda's was the Spirit Train and Sheik's was Gerudo Valley, and then we get Ganondorf's castle for Ganondorf's stage, Dragon Roost Island, Forsaken Fortress, or Pirate Ship for Toon Link's, and Palace of Wind's for Vaati's.
I was kinda under the impression that the Spirit Train was Toon Link's stage.

Gerudo Valley could, by extent, be Ganondorf's home stage, due to his Gerudo upbringing and the fact that Ocarina of Time is the origin of the human Ganon design.

I highly doubt another Skyward Sword stage, which is why I doubt Ghirahim's newcomer status, so that leaves either a Twilight Princess stage for Zant (Since Sakurai seems to favor the Twilight Princess designs) or a Link to the Past stage for Pig Ganon.

Zhadgon

Smash Lord
NNID
Zhadgon
Still not decisive evidence. Skyloft is just a pretty basic choice for a generic Zelda stage, one that doesn't hint towards any newcomer in particular, and the trophy theory is just a theory. We can't definitely say Ghirahim will be in based on that.

Also, couldn't all the evidence for Ghirahim point towards Impa as well?
Yeah it could be Impa like instead of King K. Rool in my roster could be Dixie Kong so is a personal preference it could mean one of those two still I´m pretty convinced that we will get Ghirahim.
Or he could be holding back a new Wind Waker stage to promote WWHD while he shows us the abundance of Skyward Sword representation to make us think we're getting Ghirahim, and in the end we get Tetra to represent Wind Waker. Something I could also see Sakurai do.
Haha...:joyful:and get three Zeldas you are funny, but still we have right now Skyloft and no Wind Waker stage, until I see a stage based on it I will stay with my theory that Skyloft is the "home stage" of a new comer in this case Ghirahim.

.n_n.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
We did get Fludd though as a move for Mario, and with S-Tracks we got the Phantom Knight for one of Zelda's moves.
Sure, but that wasn't a playable character. (Which was the whole point that a stage didn't necessarily mean a specific rep from the game it was based on)

Maybe we'll get a dlc taunt for Link that gives him Ghirahims tongue.

Autumn ♫

I'm terrible with these Custom Titles.
I was kinda under the impression that the Spirit Train was Toon Link's stage.

Gerudo Valley could, by extent, be Ganondorf's home stage, due to his Gerudo upbringing and the fact that Ocarina of Time is the origin of the human Ganon design.

I highly doubt another Skyward Sword stage, which is why I doubt Ghirahim's newcomer status, so that leaves either a Twilight Princess stage for Zant (Since Sakurai seems to favor the Twilight Princess designs) or a Link to the Past stage for Pig Ganon.
That could also be another option, but I'm thinking Gerudo Valley is Sheik's since I highly doubt another OoT stage, but Spirit Train could very possibly be Toon Link's.

Also, at this point, I highly doubt Zant's playability, and Ganon's to an extent.

Scamper52596

Smash Lord
Premium
Yeah it could be Impa like instead of King K. Rool in my roster could be Dixie Kong so is a personal preference it could mean one of those two still I´m pretty convinced that we will get Ghirahim.

Haha...:joyful:and get three Zeldas you are funny, but still we have right now Skyloft and no Wind Waker stage, until I see a stage based on it I will stay with my theory that Skyloft is the "home stage" of a new comer in this case Ghirahim.

.n_n.
Getting three completely different variations of the title character of one of the biggest franchises in gaming isn't too much of a stretch. It would actually be a good way to represent the franchise. Don't forget that we almost got four Zeldas in Brawl.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
A stage based off a new Zelda doesn't mean a Zelda newcomer from that game. If that were the case we'd be long due MM and TP characters.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I think Ganondorf will be the last Zelda character added this time.

Zhadgon

Smash Lord
NNID
Zhadgon
Getting three completely different variations of the title character of one of the biggest franchises in gaming isn't too much of a stretch. It would actually be a good way to represent the franchise. Don't forget that we almost got four Zeldas in Brawl.
Like I say to Morbid in the past still we did only get two Zeldas and in no way we should get two Zeldas before we get three Links (that is the hero of the series).
A stage based off a new Zelda doesn't mean a Zelda newcomer from that game. If that were the case we'd be long due MM and TP characters.
Yeah by itself shouldn't even be considered but the Trophy Quiz is making me think twice now the "home stage" theory, if you mix both it seems likely in a kind of way, still is my personal opinion and is the reason that I added Ghirahim to my roster.

.n_n.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
I think Ganondorf will be the last Zelda character added this time.
Hopefully it will be an original Ganondorf... I want to see Ganondorf use some of his actual dark magic from the games.

Then again, we did get Robin, so my need for dark magic is satisfied to a degree.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
The trophy quiz theory is pure baseless speculation. Getting Awakening and Uprising characters hardly validates it, they were highly highly likely anyway...

The Nerd

Smash Journeyman
Skull Kid oh Skull Kid where art thou?

I've never bought the idea that stages and characters have a ton to do with each other. I mean, in Melee there are twice as many Zelda and Pokemon characters as there are stages; unless you're choosing to allow other franchises to represent them. I mean, even in Brawl there are only three Zelda stages for the four (five if you count Sheik) characters. Why would this change now? I think Sakurai tries to take areas that he thinks would make fun stages to fight on from the as many franchises as he can manage while balancing them, I really can't imagine him saying; well, I'd like to include Pictochat, but I need to get another Zelda stage to represent Ganondorf first.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
The trophy quiz theory is pure baseless speculation. Getting Awakening and Uprising characters hardly validates it, they were highly highly likely anyway...
Personally, I wouldn't put stock in the Trophy Quiz theory until we see a Zelda newcomer. That's the only one of the four series shown off that seems unlikely to get a new character at this point.

Unfortunately, that would sort of defeat the purpose of using the theory as evidence of a Zelda newcomer...

Scamper52596

Smash Lord
Premium
Like I say to Morbid in the past still we did only get two Zeldas and in no way we should get two Zeldas before we get three Links (that is the hero of the series).

.n_n.
And the fact that we didn't was most likely for time constraints. Programming a transformation character, especially if the character Toon Zelda was going to transform into was in fact Tetra, probably takes quite a bit of time. Sonic getting added late to the roster probably didn't help some of those characters that didn't make it in at the end.

Also, we have gotten more than two Links. Ocarina of Time Link, Young Link, Twilight Princess Link, and Toon Link. :awesome:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Personally, I wouldn't put stock in the Trophy Quiz theory until we see a Zelda newcomer. That's the only one of the four series shown off that seems unlikely to get a new character at this point.

Unfortunately, that would sort of defeat the purpose of using the theory as evidence of a Zelda newcomer...
Yeah, I find both a SS character and Ridley unlikely at this point, but if we get one, I'm willing to give the theory a bit more credence. As it stands now though, it's only "predicted" newcomers from two games that everyone was predicting we'd get newcomers from anyway, and two of the series where a newcomer was a highly safe bet...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom