• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

epicgordan

Smash Ace
Okay, let's see if I can post my roster here. Tried following the roster order as shown in the demo while upholding an 8x7 ratio, so keep an open mind:

Edit: Okay, that didn't work out after all. Any help here? I seem to have trouble updating my roster on Smashboards using Roster Maker.

Last edited:

Niala

Smash Ace
Yes but my point is that the whole canon argument is kinda dull, i mean since 64 was a remake of the original, then only that one is canon? Adventures wasn't meant to be a Star Fox game yes but it ended up being one, and two other games decided to continue the story from there. And it's not like Star Fox has some sort of strict lore thatsays what is Canon and what is not, so until we hear from the developers that Adventures and the other games were supposed to be taken as it's own thing outside of some "main universe", then we can consider canon and non-canons.
Oh, absolutely, it probably means absolutely nothing, I agree entirely. I was merely speculating as to the logistics behind viewing canon and non-canon roles in a series, it likely stands to nothing regardless of the answer. However, I would note that if any games adding Krystal ARE to be viewed as non-canon, then technically there would still be two canon games: "Star Fox," a SNES title, and "Star Fox 64," along with it's remake.

You certainly do make a good point in stating Star Fox has never been particularly lore driven. While the universe is vast, it goes relatively unexplored, logically so given the games aren't about large-scale exploration. Because of that, we can't determine what follows proper lore and what doesn't. My speculation was just to assert the notion that, if the game wasn't originally intended as a Star Fox game, then it's entirely possible the entire story-arc isn't viewed as canon. Nothing more.

Weeman

Smash Crusader
Sakurai is fairly predictable (in terms of character selection) for the most part, you just have to use logic and ignore the bandwagon appeal fallacy that is the Smasboards hive-mind. So far, I have "predicted" every character aside from Greninja (which I missed because of an erroneous presumption and my inherent bias against Pokemon Trainer).
But if you believe in the Trophy theory, other people join you, and it becomes a bandwagon, doesn't that make everyone believing anything part of a bandwagon? :troll:

Morbi

Scavenger
But if you believe in the Trophy theory, other people join you, and it becomes a bandwagon, doesn't that make everyone believing anything part of a bandwagon? :troll:
I believed the trophy quiz theory before it was cool. :shades:

However, you make a valid point, I should probably start disregarding that theory now that the common peasants believe it. :troll:

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
Okay, let's see if I can post my roster here. Tried following the roster order as shown in the demo while upholding an 8x7 ratio, so keep an open mind:

Edit: Okay, that didn't work out after all. Any help here? I seem to have trouble updating my roster on Smashboards using Roster Maker.
You need to upload it to an image sharing site, since this website doesn't have full access to your computer. You posted the link to if you opened your computers own files in your browser.

epicgordan

Smash Ace
Okay, let's try this again:

SSB43DS.png

Now that's more like it! Now while I did say that I tried my best with an 8x7 format for the 3DS, I must admit; this looks really weird. Maybe I should have added a whole additional column full of characters. Oh, well. Fill it up with seven of whoever you like. Now, my Wii U CSS, on the other hand....

SSB4WiiU.png

As you can see, I didn't have 8-Bit Mario on my roster yet, so Jumpman had to do. Either way, this looks so much better.

Last edited:

XLIFE

Smash Journeyman
NNID
fevariblaze
Don't worry. I wasn't insinuating that you thought Rosalina was a bad choice. I was just using her to prove my point further. And you're right. Sakurai can't be predicted. That's why I try to think around the box when figuring out what characters he picks to become playable. I eventually ascertained what kind of characters I believe he picks to become playable. I may not be able to completely predict characters, but I feel that my ideology gives me a greater sense of what characters would be considered and prioritzed more so than others characters in a given franchise. So far it hasn't been wrong. I'll reconsider my stance when I see Panther representing Star Fox, Ghirahim representing Zelda, Prince Fluff representing Kirby, Kiddy Kong representing Donkey Kong, or some random Space Pirate representing Metroid. I just don't think they're at the bottom of the barrel yet when finding iconic characters to represent their franchises.
My bad that's why I hate the internet, you can never tell what someone means just by reading a response. Nevertheless we all try to predict a character's inclusion, so far Greninja and WFT have caught me surprised while the rest I could've guessed. Point is I'm not calling you out on what you think because, I think you are right, it would make sense not to include such characters, but I'm just saying I wouldn't put it past Sakurai to include some characters that have gained some notoriety and fit his quota (Such as Ghirahim). I guess I used the term lesser known characters loosely because if you interpreted Panther or Kiddy Kong I can tell I used the wrong term lol. Anyways I just feel a character like Ghirahim, Impa or Vaati is much more deserving than another Zelda, it bothers me to no end the fact all we've gotten from LoZ (Aside from Link,Zelda, Ganon) are other versions of them.

I agree with your statement I said a couple pages back that masahiro sakurai is like the mad hatter in some aspects you can not predict his next move nor is he easy to read if you can read his moves and predict the world's greatest troll easily you must have some great unearthly powers within yourself
Good point. :laugh:

Scamper52596

Smash Lord
Premium

View attachment 19305

Now that's more like it! Now while I did say that I tried my best with an 8x7 format for the 3DS, I must admit; this looks really weird. Maybe I should have added a whole additional column full of characters. Oh, well. Fill it up with seven of whoever you like. Now, my Wii U CSS, on the other hand....

View attachment 19306

As you can see, I didn't have 8-Bit Mario on my roster yet, so Jumpman had to do. Either way, this looks so much better.
I would have put 8-Bit Mario next to the Mario characters because he would probably be representing the Mario franchise rather than his own thing.

Morbi

Scavenger

View attachment 19305

View attachment 19306

Dark Pit AND Ghirahim?! I rate this roster: 10/10 no questions asked...

But seriously though, why Jumpman?

TitanTeaTime

Smash Lord
NNID
TitanTeaTime
3DS FC
2165-6601-4781

View attachment 19305

View attachment 19306

Personally I'm not really a fan of 8-Bit Mario or Dark Pit. ESPECIALLY not the latter. However, Ridley K Rool and Mewtwo more than makes up for that.
I'm also pretty ok with Ghirahim

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
Personally I'm not really a fan of 8-Bit Mario or Dark Pit. ESPECIALLY not the latter. However, Ridley K Rool and Mewtwo more than makes up for that.
I'm also pretty ok with Ghirahim
Did you happen to misspell "former"? :4pit:

Welcome to Lord Ghirahim's full support train, make yourself comfortable, oh and by the way you can't leave now!
It is funny because it is true; once you support Ghirahim by even a fraction of a percent... you are "all-in" as far as we are concerned.

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725

View attachment 19305

View attachment 19306

No cuts. That's good. But then I see 8-Bit instead of other retros, and then I see Dark Pit and no Falcon clone to take G-Dorf's move set... 6/10.

Also, I'd prefer Masked Salesman or the Goron dude.

But I don't play Zelda so I don't really care.

Scamper52596

Smash Lord
Premium
My bad that's why I hate the internet, you can never tell what someone means just by reading a response. Nevertheless we all try to predict a character's inclusion, so far Greninja and WFT have caught me surprised while the rest I could've guessed. Point is I'm not calling you out on what you think because, I think you are right, it would make sense not to include such characters, but I'm just saying I wouldn't put it past Sakurai to include some characters that have gained some notoriety and fit his quota (Such as Ghirahim). I guess I used the term lesser known characters loosely because if you interpreted Panther or Kiddy Kong I can tell I used the wrong term lol. Anyways I just feel a character like Ghirahim, Impa or Vaati is much more deserving than another Zelda, it bothers me to no end the fact all we've gotten from LoZ (Aside from Link,Zelda, Ganon) are other versions of them.
Lol. Not me, man. I'm actually the complete opposite. With a franchise like Zelda, who's main characters are different entities that are always being put into different situations and predicaments in almost every game, I think the best way to represent the franchise is to include different variations of said characters, especially if they have something different to offer than their other selves. I actually think it's pretty neat. Different minds though, and I know that I'm definitely the minority with this opinion. I respect yours nevertheless, and I actually wouldn't mind seeing Vaati join Smash. The Hero of Winds VS the Evil Wind Mage is definitely something I would love to see.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Last minute prediction for tonight's picture:
Reveal for decloned Ganondorf.
"Pic of the day. Ganondorf, the King of Evil, returns to the battlefield! In Melee and Brawl, Ganondorf was a powerful brawler, and in this iteration, he has even brought his sword and magic powers to augment his already-unbeatable physical prowess."

Second picture featuring Ganondorf with sword taunt and Captain Falcon:

"In Melee, Ganondorf's abilities were nearly identical to Captain Falcion, much to the disappointment of his fans. In Brawl we changed some of his moves to make him stand out more, but this time, he is truly unique from other fighters. Ganondorf now uses his sword of the Sages for various attacks, and is deceptively quick."

Last edited:

~Krystal~

True American Heroine
Can someone fill me in on why everyone now has Ghirahim on their rosters? Am I missing something?
I think he's perceived to be a safe pick, though I'm not so sure. They could of added Vaati with Ganondorf in Brawl and they didn't.

NickerBocker

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2492-4251-5054
He's great.
Yes I understand. Im a HUGE fan of LoZ, and frankly, any addition gets an applaud from me. Im just wondering why people think he is so likely now, especially over characters like Vaati or Tetra.

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Can someone fill me in on why everyone now has Ghirahim on their rosters? Am I missing something?
I would imagine its because everyone simply has fantastic taste and good sense of course!

Any roster without Ghirahim feels quite empty, if I do say so myself.
It is a welcome change that is sure to pay off!

epicgordan

Smash Ace
Okay, I reworked the 3DS roster, and I think it works much better this way:

3DS Roster.png

Blue Borders: Starting Veterans
Green Borders: Starting Newcomers
Yellow Borders: Unlockable Veterans
Red Borders: Unlockable Newcomers

If you want to know what those twelve icons below are, they are one of two things: Either additional characters I haven't predicted, or minus that, DLC (which we now know is going to be a thing). Me, personally, I chose the safe minimum and selected four characters: Blaziken (to coincide with the release of Pokémon Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphre), Captain Toad (for his titular game), Bandana Dee (Kirby's Canvas Curse), and Rayman (just because he was advertised).

However, the eight blanks below can be anything you want it to be. Me? I'll just throw in the likes of Snake, Dixie Kong, Krystal, Hades, Black Shadow, Reyn, Isaac, and Takamaru; you know, the strictly fan service characters.

The Wii U setup I established previously is still preferred, though replace Jumpman with 8-Bit Mario.

Edit: That turned out great. The last one looked too much like an eye-sore, but this one actually looks like something I'd see on the 3DS!

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
I didn't think so, but it leads me to my point; no franchise should have two clones/semi-clones.

Which is why Starfox characters need to be more different this game.
Fortunately for everyone involved, Star Fox does not have a second clone or semi-clone. Of course this is a common misconception as Wolf and Fox are both animals and from space... understandable, I suppose.

Niala

Smash Ace
Yes I understand. Im a HUGE fan of LoZ, and frankly, any addition gets an applaud from me. Im just wondering why people think he is so likely now, especially over characters like Vaati or Tetra.
Agreed! To be honest, and I realize this is undoubtedly controversial, if Smash were to become a game with only LoZ, Fire Emblem, and Mario franchises, I would be fine with that.

To answer your previous question, it's perhaps the increasing Skyward Sword representation throughout the game, items for example, or just a rise in popularity being just that-- more people jumping on the bandwagon simply because other people are saying he's likely. Most directly, I think the answer you're looking for is no, there was no specific event that acted as a catalyst to his rise in recognition.

Maybe people are just realizing he's great.

NickerBocker

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2492-4251-5054
I would imagine its because everyone simply has fantastic taste and good sense of course!

Any roster without Ghirahim feels quite empty, if I do say so myself.
It is a welcome change that is sure to pay off!
Yes I know he is great, but im asking why do people think he is so likely all of the sudden? Unless these rosters are a combination of most likely/wanted.

Youre free to add whoever you want to your rosters, and Ghirahim is no exception. Im just wondering why?

XLIFE

Smash Journeyman
NNID
fevariblaze
Lol. Not me, man. I'm actually the complete opposite. With a franchise like Zelda, who's main characters are different entities that are always being put into different situations and predicaments in almost every game, I think the best way to represent the franchise is to include different variations of said characters, especially if they have something different to offer than their other selves. I actually think it's pretty neat. Different minds though, and I know that I'm definitely the minority with this opinion. I respect yours nevertheless, and I actually wouldn't mind seeing Vaati join Smash. The Hero of Winds VS the Evil Wind Mage is definitely something I would love to see.
Respect bro, that's how it is :colorful:. It's a good thing you don't conform to the thoughts of others just because its the majority so I applaud you my good man.

On another note, who thinks Wario is going to be revealed tomorrow (Well today since its 12:00 a.m.) or in comic-con cuz of the could be slip up? I think he's going to probably pop up in the next newcomer trailer.

Morbi

Scavenger
Yes I know he is great, but im asking why do people think he is so likely all of the sudden? Unless these rosters are a combination of most likely/wanted.

Youre free to add whoever you want to your rosters, and Ghirahim is no exception. Im just wondering why?
I am more than certain it has to do with the trophy quiz theory's affirmation through Robin's unexpected reveal in addition to Ghirahim's new-found relevance as a Hyrule Warrior's character (which refutes the "he is not prevalent enough" argument). As more characters are revealed to not be as prominent as we once expected, someone such as Ghirahim with an observable move-set potential becomes an overt prospect in the minds of most logical speculators. Tingle's confirmation as an assist trophy also helped a little bit. :awesome:

~Krystal~

True American Heroine
Ghirahim? Safe choice? What?
I think he's a good villain with personality (if it were ever a factor), but I don't believe he's a shoo-in. I'm not even entirely sold on the notion Ganondorf gets replaced, or that if he isn't, we're getting a 6th character.

Niala

Smash Ace
On another note, who thinks Wario is going to be revealed tomorrow (Well today since its 12:00 a.m.) or in comic-con cuz of the could be slip up? I think he's going to probably pop up in the next newcomer trailer.
The thought had occurred to me, but I actually suspect they'll ignore the slip-up entirely. A marginal selection of the fans would have ever noted something like that for the minuscule time frame it was available. If he does appear in the next trailer, along with something like the Chorus Men, I doubt that will have been the reason.

Morbi

Scavenger
I think he's a good villain with personality (if it were ever a factor), but I don't believe he's a shoo-in. I'm not even entirely sold on the notion Ganondorf gets replaced, or that if he isn't, we're getting a 6th character.
Not entirely sold on Ganondorf's replacement?! Why not? It is only the most likely roster alteration, not even Captain Falcon's return was as obvious!

People seriously believe that Ganondorf might be replaced? Haha... ha. Really?

Last edited:

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Ganondorf? Getting replaced?

I hate to say, but most sane speculators don't see that happening in a million years. We've historically been hesitant on another Zelda newcomer too for the most part.

Last edited:

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
Ghirahim replacing Ganondorf is the equivalent of Bowser Jr. replacing Bowser. We'd get both instead of losing the Veteran.

Big bad > little bad in villains in usual situations.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
I need to play Skyward Sword, but my pal said some negative things about Ghirahim so it reflects a little how I feel about him. I'm not sure who said it here first, but he makes me feel uncomfortable in a bad way. :laugh:

I'm not the biggest Zelda fan, so whether we received a newcomer or not, I'll be ok. I was on Team Skull Kid, but after his disconfirmation, I'm on the Vaati Train now and on the Caboose de Impa.

Oh, Classic Ganon would be awesome too. As long as he has his Trident along with a unique moveset.

Last edited:

Nintendotard

Smash Lord
NNID
Mariotard
Ever since the Triforce was completed in Melee, I can never see Zelda or Ganondorf NOT returning into these games. The only ones that could apply to are Sheik and Toon Link.

Buuuut we do need more villains and since we're not getting Skull Kid who was my all time MUST for a Zelda newcomer, then I'd like Ghirahim. I don't know too much about Vaati to care for him, and if we don't get a villain for Zelda then I'd like me some Tetra. She deserves a good spot :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom