• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zynux

Smash Lord
You are taking that statement completely out of context.
I am quite aware. I felt the :denzel: emote made it obvious I was being exaggeratedly pretentious and facetious. Especially since in this thread it's nothing but opinions anyway.

My point is that they aren't the core series, if they were, they would not have been released near the same time as the Wind Waker. Just because they are canon does not make them part of the main series of games, which are the adventure based console titles.
I guess I can see you point of view now, though I still argue it's relevance to Vaati. Yes, Four Swords and Minish are not on the same league as the consoles games, but I don't believe the assertion that they are not "main" will pertain to Vaati or his chances. What would be problematic for Vaati is his popularity (which is not on Ghirahim's level), but his games being "core" or not is moot IMO (I think it's the equivalent to the "they've been in X amount of games" argument).

Regardless of what your definition of spin-off is, Four Swords and Four Swords Adventures are not given the treatment that the console titles are.
This we can agree 100% on.

I don't recall ever stating this.
I was referring to this segment of your post. I apologize if I misconstrued it:
It was a small Gameboy Advance title in a series of AAA console games. The game itself has been mostly forgotten by Nintendo besides, sadly. There has been no mention of Minish Cap after it's release.
You were stating that, compared to the AAA Zelda titles (Skyward Sword specifically) that the Minish Cap was a small gameboy advance title forgotten by Nintendo. Alternatively, Skyward Sword is still having its content pulled for other games (Hyrule Warriors and Smash Bros) and is still being referenced and teased to this day, unlike the Minish Cap. I thought you were insinuating that the Skyward Sword has more lasting popularity in comparison, which I would agree with if that's the case.

Hmmm I too think that Mewtwo would make a great DLC character. But he can't be the only one. He'd have to be the first one they announce.
Mewtwo would be the perfect candidate to get the DLC hype-train going I think, and possibly even reel in the most $$$$$. So I agree that him being the first DLC character to be announced would be ideal.

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I am quite aware. I felt the :denzel: emote made it obvious I was being exaggeratedly pretentious and facetious. Especially since in this thread it's nothing but opinions anyway.
Given how many people I talk to here, it's really hard to tell sometimes. :facepalm:

This we can agree 100% on.
Then I guess we agree in general, as that was really the point I was trying to get across.

You were stating that, compared to the AAA Zelda titles (Skyward Sword specifically) that the Minish Cap was a small gameboy advance title forgotten by Nintendo. Alternatively, Skyward Sword is still having its content pulled for other games (Hyrule Warriors and Smash Bros) and is still being referenced and teased to this day, unlike the Minish Cap. I thought you were insinuating that the Skyward Sword has more lasting popularity in comparison, which I would agree with if that's the case.
Well, a game that is recent, is promoted consistently, is a AAA franchise title, and has a myriad of references in other games outside it's core series would be more popular than a decade-old, self-contained series of small GBA games that has been all but forgotten by it's publisher.

You have to consider, Wind Waker and Twilight Princess got dozens of trophies, one stage each, and countless stickers in Brawl, where Four Swords and Minish Cap might be mentioned in the Chronicle somewhere. Both were recent.

ElPanandero

Smash Lord
NNID
ElPanandero
Would third parties, or other 3rd parties from the already repped companies, be possible? Or would there be too much legal tape for anyone to want to try? (I'm thinking of the Simons and the Bombermans [And a Tales character...please :dr-_-:])

G0LD3N L0TUS

Smash Lord
NNID
G0LD3N_L0TUS
3DS FC
3007-8158-6601
Would third parties, or other 3rd parties from the already repped companies, be possible? Or would there be too much legal tape for anyone to want to try? (I'm thinking of the Simons and the Bombermans [And a Tales character...please :dr-_-:])
Possible, but it's something I consider highly unlikely.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master

Dark Pit confirmed as alternate costume. Not even a change to the Silver Bow.

Now to figure out what the hell his tease was for. Medusa?

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman

Is it actually Dark Pit? I can't tell. The sandals are Dark Pit's, but the hair is still brown and the tunic appears to be white.

EDIT: The Dark Pit was clearly a tease based on Pit "spoiling Medusa's party," though.

Last edited:

AncientTobacco

Smash Lord
It's not really about the "legal tape". It's about the fact that Sakurai doesn't want to oversaturate the roster with 3rd parties. Sonic, Mega Man and Pac-Man are all in a class of their own.
Is it actually Dark Pit? I can't tell. The sandals are Dark Pit's, but the hair is still brown and the tunic appears to be white.
I believe it is Blue Pit from Brawl.
That's the blue costume, not Dark Pit silly.

Dark Pit's sandals have gold straps, and are notably not blue.
I think he was making a joke about the darkness attack that's being used on Pit.

Last edited:

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
"But Sakurai has said that uniqueness and what they bring to the table will get them into Smash!!!" Fair enough, but what is considered "unique" is completely subjective. For example, half of the characters that have been added to this roster so far I don't find "unique". But yes, uniqueness can be a factor for some characters, but it isn't the defining or only factor that will get characters into this game. Hell, it may not be a factor at all. Look at Lucina.
Then what is unique by your standards?

As for Lucina, you should know by now that Lucina was an "emergency" addition. She was intended to be a costume for Marth.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Then what is unique by your standards?

As for Lucina, you should know by now that Lucina was an "emergency" addition. She was intended to be a costume for Marth.
I don't think Lucina is an "emergency" addition, but a bonus addition...

Maxilian

Smash Ace
You're awesome.
I used to be like you when it came to Vaati in Brawl.
man... dreams were crushed.
At least my Toon Link prediction came true.

I hope Sakurai sees the potential in Vaati instead of going with Girahim.
He would be a terrible representation of the series when compared to Vaati.
I agree that Vaati would be a really cool character even more cause he's the only villain that have made a name of himself, also he's strong enough that Ganondorf tried to liberate him (normally is the other way around, X character try to liberate Ganon(dorf) ) but even if i agree that Vaati is "unique" in one way or another, i will go with Ghirahim... :dr^_^:

My new prediction roster. Enjoy.
Well... my opinion:

1- We wont get 2 Donkey Kong character, unless one of them is a clone :drshrug:

2- If Dr. Mario comes back he will most likely be a costume for Mario

3- The Impa of HW have no chance of comming with the initial roster, because the roster was selected before HW production started, the Impa of HW could come as a DLC, if we are getting an Impa we are going to get the Impa from SS :drifloon:

4- I'm pretty sure that if Black Shadow makes it, he will be a clone, but my question is... a clone of who? i would love to see Ganondorf with a new moveset and give his old moveset to BS :drohyou:

Last edited:

Cobalsh

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2578-3430-9913
[quote="Maxilian, post: 17121051, member: 245134"}3- The Impa of HW have no chance of comming with the initial roster, because the roster was selected before HW production started, the Impa of HW could come as a DLC, if we are getting an Impa we are going to get the Impa from SS[/quote]Really? Didn't know you worked for Nintendo, my bad.

It's statements like these, statements with out evidence and only half-assed guesses, that make me question what I'm even doing here.

Last edited:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
With all this talk about Ridley and a new Zelda character, I'm just sitting waiting for Isaac. Its now or never...
I'm hoping for Isaac too.

I don't think Lucina is an "emergency" addition, but a bonus addition...
Who is to say we won't get more clones/semi-clone newcomers?

I wish I could say Isaac was going to happen, but every time I have that thought, about a character who uses magic and sorcery, and I turn my head and see Robin.
No, not Isaac's Japanese name. The one from Fire Emblem.
Robin doesn't use earth-based magic, nor does he have the ability to utilize a magical hand.

Last edited:

ElPanandero

Smash Lord
NNID
ElPanandero
I admit Robin is similar to Issac in archtype, and it makes me doubt his inclusion, but he could definetly still be unique with dijiin, summons, and plant/earth magic. But it's still too unlikely for me to get too excited. Ho hum.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Who is to say we won't get more clones/semi-clone newcomers?
Never said we wouldn't. But this notion that Lucina was an "Emergency" addition implies that she was added for roster padding, which Sakurai doesn't seem to indicate at all. He seemed to clearly indicate that Lucina was already an alt, and they decided to promote her to a full-fledged character, albeit a clone.

G0LD3N L0TUS

Smash Lord
NNID
G0LD3N_L0TUS
3DS FC
3007-8158-6601
1- We wont get 2 Donkey Kong character, unless one of them is a clone :drshrug:
Dixie Kong could easily clone Diddy to an extent, and even without that, "won't" is not a word we should be using here without "I think" in front of it in some form.

3- The Impa of HW have no chance of comming with the initial roster, because the roster was selected before HW production started, the Impa of HW could come as a DLC, if we are getting an Impa we are going to get the Impa from SS
I questioned this before, and I question it now.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/featu...n-the-dynasty-warriors-and-zelda-overlap.aspx

I got this from a quick search, and I gather that the original concepts and conversations started about two years ago. You know what else started about two years ago? Smash 4.

Not only that, but even if Impa was chosen with her SS design, even if she started getting implemented, nothing stops Sakurai from changing her to her Hyrule Warriors design the moment he sees it.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
Not only is Paper Mario my most wanted, but I think he would stick out from the roster, even if he's another Mario. Like @ Kenith Kenith pointed out, he's made of paper and can fold into different objects. No other character on the roster has that ability, and no, Mr. Game & Watch is not made of paper. A 2D object is not the same as a paper object and is visually different. Not only that, but he has four games to create a moveset from. This also means that the Paper Mario series is larger than some of the series represented in Smash that have more than one character. Not saying that merits a character, but the amount of recognition it received in Brawl was disappointing. It deserves at least a stage or some music, which it has plenty of amazing tracks to pick from.

If Paper Mario isn't on the roster, I think he'd make a great DLC character, if there will be any.

LordJackal

Smash Journeyman
NNID
lordjackal92
I guess I can see you point of view now, though I still argue it's relevance to Vaati. Yes, Four Swords and Minish are not on the same league as the consoles games, but I don't believe the assertion that they are not "main" will pertain to Vaati or his chances. What would be problematic for Vaati is his popularity (which is not on Ghirahim's level), but his games being "core" or not is moot IMO (I think it's the equivalent to the "they've been in X amount of games" argument).
Actually, being around Zelda fansites for close to ten years now, Vaati's got a lot more popularity than Ghirahim. From his small games, he's had a legion of diehard fans that are fighting to keep him relevant, whereas Ghirahim's popularity is largely due to his recent appearance and it's likely he'll fade away just as Zant did.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Never said we wouldn't. But this notion that Lucina was an "Emergency" addition implies that she was added for roster padding, which Sakurai doesn't seem to indicate at all. He seemed to clearly indicate that Lucina was already an alt, and they decided to promote her to a full-fledged character, albeit a clone.
You're forgetting that Chrom was cut and Sakurai didn't want to reduce the number of playable slots. So, he used Lucina to keep the roster number the same.

D

Deleted member

You're forgetting that Chrom was cut and Sakurai didn't want to reduce the number of playable slots. So, he used Lucina to keep the roster number the same.
Nope. If Sakurai's words are correct (and why wouldn't they be) then Chrom never was on the roster. He was considered, then dropped for Robin, and no work was ever done on him.

NickerBocker

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2492-4251-5054
So on the topic of KI and FE, does anyone think we will get any more content from those series? Characters, stages, ATs?

Maxilian

Smash Ace
Dixie Kong could easily clone Diddy to an extent, and even without that, "won't" is not a word we should be using here without "I think" in front of it in some form.
Well everything said here are nothing more than opinions and ideas (unless you actually quote a authority saying that -Nintendo, Sakurai, etc...- ) so i don't think we need to use "I think" or "IMO"

Note: Also i mainly say that, cause it will be silly to have Dixie as a clone, cause that would make her a Diddy clone, and her main abilities are with her hair, so it wouldn't make much sense, and it would be sad if they make King K. Rool as a clone

I questioned this before, and I question it now.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/featu...n-the-dynasty-warriors-and-zelda-overlap.aspx

I got this from a quick search, and I gather that the original concepts and conversations started about two years ago. You know what else started about two years ago? Smash 4.

Not only that, but even if Impa was chosen with her SS design, even if she started getting implemented, nothing stops Sakurai from changing her to her Hyrule Warriors design the moment he sees it.
You're right when you say that Sakurai could change it, but is not that simple to modify completely a character, that's why i say i doubt that's going to happen, and these also apply what i said before... is nothing more than an opinion, that's what i think about the character, that doesn't mean that's what is going to happen...

Also Smash Development started in 2011... (at least, cause that was when it was shown, so it most likely started before that and the character roster was selected before that)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Smash_Bros._for_Nintendo_3DS_and_Wii_U

Note: In general i'm not against the idea of having Impa, i just want her to be an unique character, and i really doubt that she will be an unique character if she comes out with the game but if she comes out as a DLC she could be pretty unique

[quote="Maxilian, post: 17121051, member: 245134"}3- The Impa of HW have no chance of comming with the initial roster, because the roster was selected before HW production started, the Impa of HW could come as a DLC, if we are getting an Impa we are going to get the Impa from SS
Really? Didn't know you worked for Nintendo, my bad.

It's statements like these, statements with out evidence and only half-***** guesses, that make me question what I'm even doing here.
Oh My... How rude, i really wonder why people talk like that? what's the point on attacking someone else? you can say that their comment is baseless without being rude and that may also bring the other person to give you an actual answer but meeehhh :drshrug:

Note: My answer is above in these comment, so just check it out, it may give you the answer you're looking for

Last edited:

queenrosetta

Smash Apprentice
Well everything said here are nothing more than opinions and ideas (unless you actually quote a authority saying that -Nintendo, Sakurai, etc...- ) so i don't think we need to use "I think" or "IMO"

Note: Also i mainly say that, cause it will be silly to have Dixie as a clone, cause that would make her a Diddy clone, and her main abilities are with her hair, so it wouldn't make much sense, and it would be sad if they make King K. Rool as a clone
But you do know that Dixie and diddy are essentially the same character on tropical freeze. I'm expecting her to be luigified clone.

Maxilian

Smash Ace
But you do know that Dixie and diddy are essentially the same character on tropical freeze. I'm expecting her to be luigified clone.
Yeah, i just hope she doesn't, at least Luigi feels unique (even if he's not) :drshrug:

Note: I say that because she have a lot of potential, but... well we got Falcondorf so anything could happen:drsad:

Last edited:

Gold_Jacobson

Smash Journeyman
I believe DLC will be based on the usual criteria but also:

Advertisement/marketing ex: (mega sceptile, captain toad, hyrule warriors impa)

Massive fan demand ex: (mew two, Isaac, etc)

Easy development/clones ex: ( Dixie, dark falcon guy, etc

If someone doesn't fall into one of those three, likely not gonna ever get dlc.

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
So on the topic of KI and FE, does anyone think we will get any more content from those series? Characters, stages, ATs?
-I could see Roy, Micaiah, and Ephriam as AT's. I think Elincia would be really cool though.

-Stage wise, I wanted a Radiant Dawn Stage, but having its music on the Colosseum makes me think we won't get one, so maybe no new stages. (Sad that Ike doesn't get one from his own games)

-I think that any character confirmed for SMT x FE on the Fire Emblem side, should get at least a trophy.

For Kid Icarus I have no clue. Maybe Hades or Pandora show up in someway but I'm not sure.

Morbi

Scavenger

That ain't Falco! :foxmelee:

I believe DLC will be based on the usual criteria but also:

Advertisement/marketing ex: (mega sceptile, captain toad, hyrule warriors impa)

Massive fan demand ex: (mew two, Isaac, etc)

Easy development/clones ex: ( Dixie, dark falcon guy, etc

If someone doesn't fall into one of those three, likely not gonna ever get dlc.
I honestly agree with this sentiment.

Yeah, i just hope she doesn't, at least Luigi feels unique (even if he's not) :drshrug:

Note: I say that because she have a lot of potential, but... well we got Falcondorf so anything could happen:drsad:
Falcondorf would not have been a character in Smash if it was not for the inherent desire of Sakurai to pad the roster. I highly doubt we are going to get anything reminiscent of that in Smash 4. We did not in Brawl.

Last edited:

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Nope. If Sakurai's words are correct (and why wouldn't they be) then Chrom never was on the roster. He was considered, then dropped for Robin, and no work was ever done on him.
I stand corrected then. Anyway, I still think Lucina was a special case when they added her. I have a theory that she was partially added for players that prefer old Marth. Kind of like Fox and Falco in Melee. There will be subtle differences that will have big effects on them.

Morbi

Scavenger
So if we want to talk about characters who have uniqueness going for them above all else...

Geno.
I suppose that makes sense as Geno is neither relevant, nor recent. He is not prevalent or prominent, popular or iconic. In fact, he is not highly requested. However, there is always the chance that Sakurai will include him based on his arbitrary uniqueness. :jigglypuffmelee:

Dark Pit on the other hand...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom