• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheHammmer

Banned via Warnings
The only relevant reason is that Ganondorf mains, myself included, are attached to his current move-set. I am an advocate of the notion that he could impute his cloned move-set to another character, preferably a F-Zero character, Black Shadow. That would probably be the most logical solution to satisfy all parties except for those who want Black Shadow as his own character.
whose black shadow? i didnt see that character on the roster.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
The quote of Sakurai even says "However, even though Lucina shares her physical stats and techniques with Marth, the characteristics of their attacks differ. When two such similar characters function in an even slightly different manner, I give them a separate spot on the roster since that will affect battle records and whatnot. In that sense, you could say she was very lucky to join the fray!"
I think that nulls your point.
You mean my point about their height difference?

"Pic of the day. Along with Robin, Lucina joins the battle!! Her physical ablilites are identical to Marth's--it must be in her D.N.A. However, where Marth's power is concentrated in the tip of the sword, Lucina's attack strength is balanced throughout the weapon, which might make her easier to control. She's also a little bit shorter than Marth."

Also, that still raises the question of why Dark Pit was not revealed alongside Palutena.

Morbi

Scavenger
It would seem that the difference here is that Daisy was not "teased" at the end of a newcomer trailer, which Dark Pit was. Which is an odd point considering how there was clearly nothing to stop them from revealing Dark Pit along with Palutena. Which means that if Dark Pit is playable, he's likely going to be at least a semi-clone who's going to get a trailer entirely dedicated to him. While not impossible, it would be rather odd to put so much focus and attention on such a character. Not to mention, Sakurai has a tendency to not mention newcomers by name until they're actually revealed. He never called Palutena by her name until she was revealed, while, for example, he mentioned the character Viridi by name in a random pic of the day, and then was later de-confirmed. Based on that, I feel like Dark Put is basically de-confirmed at this point.
I suppose that is a good point, I am just surprised by all of the Dark Pit related content pertaining to Smash. I am not sure if I would assert that he is "deconfirmed;" however, his chances have been slightly attenuated. I am not sure if this is another Game & Watch situation to be honest. As you mentioned, they did mention him by name, but was it not also the first trailer with a "cliff-hanger"?

D

Deleted member

Heres a better idea for a cloned Captain Falcon moveset, just get this guy in! :troll:

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
The quote of Sakurai even says "However, even though Lucina shares her physical stats and techniques with Marth, the characteristics of their attacks differ. When two such similar characters function in an even slightly different manner, I give them a separate spot on the roster since that will affect battle records and whatnot. In that sense, you could say she was very lucky to join the fray!"
I think that nulls your point.

He just said he wanted to bring as many characters as he can, not cut anyone from Brawl.
And even if that statement was true, there are two certain Pokemon who are likely getting the cut. :ivysaur::squirtle:

Sakurai already gave meaning of "slightly different" in the quote I just post, I suggest you read it again to know what it means.
Well they're getting cut for being completely unnecessary at this point, and you know what, I could see them deciding to drop Lucas for many reasons, but not Wolf.

kikaru

Smash Ace
Some small and insignificant country town, WA.
3DS FC
0705-2807-1422
The only relevant reason is that Ganondorf mains, myself included, are attached to his current move-set. I am an advocate of the notion that he could impute his cloned move-set to another character, preferably a F-Zero character, Black Shadow. That would probably be the most logical solution to satisfy all parties except for those who want Black Shadow as his own character.
Having unique custom moves like Palutena and Mii Fighters could also satisfy both parties as well, the only small issue that would arise is which moveset is going to be the one allowed for Online With Anybody.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
I suppose that is a good point, I am just surprised by all of the Dark Pit related content pertaining to Smash. I am not sure if I would assert that he is "deconfirmed;" however, his chances have been slightly attenuated. I am not sure if this is another Game & Watch situation to be honest. As you mentioned, they did mention him by name, but was it not also the first trailer with a "cliff-hanger"?
Yes, it is a little early to call him de-confirmed, but I don't see any reason to believe that he's playable unless you really like supporting characters that no one else wants.

As for Game&Watch, he was not actually mentioned by name; he just sort of popped up at the end of that trailer. Now, I imagine that would raise the question of why wasn't he confirmed while Captain Falcon, who appeared in Robin and Lucina's trailer, was. I have two possible explanations:

1.) Game&Watch just made a brief cameo at the end of Pac-Man's trailer, while Captain Falcon was featured prominently in Robin's trailer and was actually shown in gameplay.

2.) Game&Watch has always been a secret character in the games, and holds the distinction of being the last character you could possibly unlock in Melee. Perhaps they want to keep him secret again.

TheHammmer

Banned via Warnings
[quote="MorbidAltruism, post: 17097094, member: 221172"
This thread is all you will ever need. Welcome to the Black Shadow army. :troll:[/quote]

oh ok. yeah he'd be bad ass. u think him and ganon should be clones?

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
Having unique custom moves like Palutena and Mii Fighters could also satisfy both parties as well, the only small issue that would arise is which moveset is going to be the one allowed for Online With Anybody.
That is an interesting prospect, I could honestly see that happening. I am not certain that it would be overly relevant as most people have a problem with his normals, many advocate for his sword, or magic. But at the very least, his specials could offer something that meets everyone's desires. I feel as though they would keep his standard move-set for "online;" however, at the same time, Captain Falcon would already satisfy that archetype, so they might give him the overhaul with the old specials available for us OG mains.

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Yes, it is a little early to call him de-confirmed, but I don't see any reason to believe that he's playable unless you really like supporting characters that no one else wants.

As for Game&Watch, he was not actually mentioned by name; he just sort of popped up at the end of that trailer. Now, I imagine that would raise the question of why wasn't he confirmed while Captain Falcon, who appeared in Robin and Lucina's trailer, was. I have two possible explanations:

1.) Game&Watch just made a brief cameo at the end of Pac-Man's trailer, while Captain Falcon was featured prominently in Robin's trailer and was actually shown in gameplay.

2.) Game&Watch has always been a secret character in the games, and holds the distinction of being the last character you could possibly unlock in Melee. Perhaps they want to keep him secret again.
Dark Pit is decently requested just so you know.

Morbi

Scavenger
oh ok. yeah he'd be bad ***. u think him and ganon should be clones?
Not necessarily, I am just an advocate of both characters and there is the potential for both to be in the game while making a lot of different groups of people content. I am inherently biased in regards to this issue though, they are my favorite Nintendo characters, after all.

I do enjoy supporting characters that no one wants.[/quote]

Last edited:

☆Jazz☆

Jazzin' All Day
NNID
DaGama21
3DS FC
0920-3971-2053
@ kikaru kikaru speaking of moves that'll be allowed for Online with Aynone,
I wonder what Palutena's default moveset will be. I believe that it will be....
:GCB:: Heavenly Light
:GCB: + :GCR:/:GCL:: Explosive Flame
:GCB: + :GCU:: Jump Glide
:GCB: + :GCD:: Reflect Barrier

Second Power

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0774-5502-4430
You mean my point about their height difference?

"Pic of the day. Along with Robin, Lucina joins the battle!! Her physical ablilites are identical to Marth's--it must be in her D.N.A. However, where Marth's power is concentrated in the tip of the sword, Lucina's attack strength is balanced throughout the weapon, which might make her easier to control. She's also a little bit shorter than Marth."

Also, that still raises the question of why Dark Pit was not revealed alongside Palutena.
Isn't Male Fit Trainer bulkier than Wii Fit trainer? He specifically mentions the lack of tipper mechanics as the reason for her separation; the shorter comment is just an aside. You're completely ignoring the reason he gave (to which there is no speculation on) and adding a reason of your own. More simply, you're twisting his words in an effort to prove his point.

Edit: Sorry, I may be missing something here. Are you saying Lucina got a separate slot due to physical differences and for that reason Dark Pit can just be an alt costume?

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Dark Pit is decently requested just so you know.
I can't really refute this, although I will say that I can't recall ever seeing real support for Dark Pit anywhere.

Also, in the unlikely event that you haven't noticed, I have been asking you a question regarding Dark Pit that you have yet to answer. If it's not too much trouble, I would like to hear your opinion on the matter.

Why was Dark Pit not revealed alongside Palutena?

Morbi

Scavenger
I can't really refute this, although I will say that I can't recall ever seeing real support for Dark Pit anywhere.

Also, in the unlikely event that you haven't noticed, I have been asking you a question regarding Dark Pit that you have yet to answer. If it's not too much trouble, I would like to hear your opinion on the matter.

The same reason that Ridley was not revealed during the April Direct. :troll:

Autumn ♫

I'm terrible with these Custom Titles.
Could it be possible that at the time of E3, Sakurai was deciding wheather or not he wanted to add last minute clones? That could explain Dark Pit not being revealed then.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Isn't Male Fit Trainer bulkier than Wii Fit trainer? He specifically mentions the lack of tipper mechanics as the reason for her separation; the shorter comment is just an aside. You're completely ignoring the reason he gave (to which there is no speculation on) and adding a reason of your own. More simply, you're twisting his words in an effort to prove his point.
I was simply pointing out that there are more differences between Lucina and Marth than there are between Pit and Dark Pit. The difference in height is one of those.

Also, I believe the male Wii Fit Trainer has a bulkier model than the female one, but Sakurai has stated that both genders share the same height and properties, so there are no differences between the two in terms of game play. It is just a visual thing. It's suggested that Lucina is actually shorter than Marth, which is something that would have an effect on game play.

Niala

Smash Ace

It's possible he wasn't revealed for the same reason G&W wasn't revealed. While that reason is very unclear, but one could speculate it has do with hidden characters not being blatantly revealed before the games' releases. I'm still uncertain as to whether or not the whole roster will be shown before the release.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
Besides Jigglypuff and/or Mewtwo. Not sure there any big contenders left. Most of them (who had a decent chance) are disconfirmed as far as I know.... :dizzy:
I would hate to mention his repugnant name; however, it would be adhering to confirmation bias to not mention that dastardly name of his... Sceptile.

Last edited:

TheHammmer

Banned via Warnings
Besides Jigglypuff and/or Mewtwo. Not sure there are any big contenders left. Most of them (who had a decent chance) are disconfirmed as far as I know.... :dizzy:
lol wouldnt it be awesome if we saw someone really random like Haunter or Machamp lmao. :chuckle:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I would hate to mention his repugnant name; however, it would be adhering to confirmation bias to not mention his dastardly name... Sceptile.
Oh, of course... Forgot about him.....

Not sure if his potential inclusion isn't too late or not but I guess he's a possibility.....

lol wouldnt it be awesome if we saw someone really random like Haunter or Machamp lmao. :chuckle:
Perhaps, but I think Greninja is fine for now for a Pokemon that came out of the blue.... ^^

TheHammmer

Banned via Warnings
I would hate to mention his repugnant name; however, it would be adhering to confirmation bias to not mention his dastardly name... Sceptile.
that would be great! and it kinda makes sense. they do have a new game coming out the remakes or ruby and saffire and sceptile has a mega evolution

☆Jazz☆

Jazzin' All Day
NNID
DaGama21
3DS FC
0920-3971-2053
There are seriously lacking Cute Pokemon in this game xD. They are all pretty awesome though.

Morbi

Scavenger
Not really. Unless that random Pokemon happened to be Gengar.

It's possible he wasn't revealed for the same reason G&W wasn't revealed. While that reason is very unclear, but one could speculate it has do with hidden characters not being blatantly revealed before the games' releases. I'm still uncertain as to whether or not the whole roster will be shown before the release.
That is certainly one theory, a theory that I intend to use in the future. Thank you very much!

Second Power

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0774-5502-4430
I was simply pointing out that there are more differences between Lucina and Marth than there are between Pit and Dark Pit. The difference in height is one of those.

Also, I believe the male Wii Fit Trainer has a bulkier model than the female one, but Sakurai has stated that both genders share the same height and properties, so there are no differences between the two in terms of game play. It is just a visual thing. It's suggested that Lucina is actually shorter than Marth, which is something that would have an effect on game play.
...You do realize they could have just given Lucina Marth's properties the same way they did with the Fit Trainers, right? Or just made Lucina a bit taller to match Marth's height? There are so many solutions to that which would let Lucina be an alternate costume. The thought process was not "She's short, we have to make her her own character, oh well." Sakurai literally said "Lucina's a seperate character because no tipper".

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Daisy for Smash because why the hell not? :troll:
And this is also the hidden bad of the reason why semi-clones shouldn't happen. :urg:

Dark Pit was decently requested and I seen him at many top 10 lists pre- E3 2013:

http://smashboards.com/threads/super-smash-bros-4-wii-u-3ds-topic.324221/page-240#post-15525723
57.Porky 70
58.Dark Pit 70
59.Lucina 68
And this:

He's pretty popular in Japan with a ranking of #16.

Regarding the Dark Pit not being revealed in Palutena's trailer, I believe there are two answers to that.
The first it could be leading to a continuing trailer revealing Dark Pit/Hades or Medusa.
The second is that Sakurai is teasing him to reveal him at whatever big role Sakurai wants us to see regarding Pittoo.

TheHammmer

Banned via Warnings
Not necessarily, I am just an advocate of both characters and there is the potential for both to be in the game while making a lot of different groups of people content. I am inherently biased in regards to this issue though, they are my favorite Nintendo characters, after all.

I do enjoy supporting characters that no one wants.
[/quote]

thats cool. i like em too.

Not really. Unless that random Pokemon happened to be Gengar.

That is certainly one theory, a theory that I intend to use in the future. Thank you very much!
I always liked Haunter more then Gengar for some reason lol

Last edited by a moderator:

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
And this is also the hidden bad of the reason why semi-clones shouldn't happen. :urg:

Dark Pit was decently requested and I seen him at many top 10 lists pre- E3 2013:

http://smashboards.com/threads/super-smash-bros-4-wii-u-3ds-topic.324221/page-240#post-15525723

And this:

Regarding the Dark Pit not being revealed in Palutena's trailer, I believe there are two answers to that.
The first it could be leading to a continuing trailer revealing Dark Pit/Hades or Medusa.
The second is that Sakurai is teasing him to reveal him at whatever big role Sakurai wants us to see regarding Pittoo.
Waluigi confirmed.

☆Jazz☆

Jazzin' All Day
NNID
DaGama21
3DS FC
0920-3971-2053

And this:

Where did you find this online?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom