• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

☆Jazz☆

Jazzin' All Day
NNID
DaGama21
3DS FC
0920-3971-2053
I don't understand why people think Bandana Dee is so far fetched.

Facts:
  • Bandana Dee is by far the most likely character if Sakurai decided he wants a 4th Kirby Rep.
  • We have not seen a hint of Bandana Dee anywhere in Smash.
  • King Dedede doesn't throw Waddle Dees anymore, and we don't know his Final Smash.
  • Anniversaries that relate to Kirby and Sakurai are coming next month.
  • Bandana Dee has a big role in the 2015 Kirby Game.
  • Kirby Fighters Z hasn't been announced in America yet. (Could be announced alongside Bandana Dee)
  • No Meta Knight, possible trailer with Bandana Dee.
  • No Wii U Kirby stage, could be shown with Bandana Dee's reveal.
That is some good facts right there.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
The thing is the way he talked about Lucina potentially being an alternate costume, but then becoming her own character instead, he made it sound like she was a special case, being very lucky to become her own character, and with Sakurai making characters as alternate costumes I don't see why he would make Dark Pit and Dr. Mario there own characters rather then alternate costumes. Also Dr. Mario getting in over Wolf is weird, Dr. Mario had no reason to get in over Wolf back then and he doesn't have a reason now.
To be fair, The fact that Sakurai prefers him throwing pill's instead of fireballs might be enough for Sakurai to make him his own separate fighter as they have different characteristics. Anything that might affect battle records and whatnot. And then there is the thunderhand...
Masahiro Sakurai said:
However, even though Lucina shares her physical stats and techniques with Marth, the characteristics of their attacks differ. When two such similar characters function in an even slightly different manner, I give them a separate spot on the roster since that will affect battle records and whatnot. In that sense, you could say she was very lucky to join the fray!
I'm not saying that he will be playable though, but if he where to include him then I think he will be more likely to make him a separate fighter once more...

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Wasn't it already proven long ago that Sakurai does not care for game anniversaries unless it is Super Smash Bros?

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
Wasn't it already proven long ago that Sakurai does not care for game anniversaries unless it is Super Smash Bros?
I thought Fire Emblem and Captain Falcon both had anniversaries close to their reveal trailer.

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
Wouldn't that help Dark Pit's case at being playable?
How? Lucina got lucky, Dark Pit probably won't be as lucky since he has more similarities to Pit then Lucina does to Marth and is far less wanted of a character then Lucina is. Also why would they bother hyping up someone like Dark Pit as his own character by leaving him a mystery in Palutena's trailer, but not doing so with Lucina (the more popular/more wanted character) if anything they're hyping him up to reveal alternate character costumes. Thinking they were hyping him up to be his own character in Palutena's trailer is like thinking Tom Nook was being hyped up as a playable character in Villiger's trailer.

Gold_Jacobson

Smash Journeyman
I don't understand why people think Bandana Dee is so far fetched.

Facts:
  • Bandana Dee is by far the most likely character if Sakurai decided he wants a 4th Kirby Rep.
  • We have not seen a hint of Bandana Dee anywhere in Smash.
  • King Dedede doesn't throw Waddle Dees anymore, and we don't know his Final Smash.
  • Anniversaries that relate to Kirby and Sakurai are coming next month.
  • Bandana Dee has a big role in the 2015 Kirby Game.
  • Kirby Fighters Z hasn't been announced in America yet. (Could be announced alongside Bandana Dee)
  • No Meta Knight, possible trailer with Bandana Dee.
  • No Wii U Kirby stage, could be shown with Bandana Dee's reveal.

I'm new to Kirby Series. Which 2015 kirby game are you referring too? What's BD's role?

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
How? Lucina got lucky, Dark Pit probably won't be as lucky since he has more similarities to Pit then Lucina does to Marth and is far less wanted of a character then Lucina is. Also why would they bother hyping up someone like Dark Pit as his own character by leaving him a mystery in Palutena's trailer, but not doing so with Lucina (the more popular/more wanted character) if anything they're hyping him up to reveal alternate character costumes. Thinking they were hyping him up to be his own character in Palutena's trailer is like thinking Tom Nook was being hyped up as a playable character in Villiger's trailer.
Dark Pit is a relatively popular request actually, and once again Villager's trailer did not ever give a real tease to Tom Nook like Dark Pit.
If they are trying to fill the void with clones to fill up the roster, Dark Pit will likely be that clone that gets in.

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
To be fair, The fact that Sakurai prefers him throwing pill's instead of fireballs might be enough for Sakurai to make him his own separate fighter as they have different characteristics. Anything that might affect battle records and whatnot. And then there is the thunderhand...

I'm not saying that he will be playable though, but if he where to include him then I think he will be more likely to make him a separate fighter once more...
Right, and if he still thinks it wouldn't be right to have Dr. Mario shoot fire then I doubt he'd bother adding him at all.
Dark Pit is a relatively popular request actually, and once again Villager's trailer did not ever give a real tease to Tom Nook like Dark Pit.
If they are trying to fill the void with clones to fill up the roster, Dark Pit will likely be that clone that gets in.
He never said anything about wanting to fill the void, besides your roster has over 50 characters, I don't think Sakurai's going to be like "Oh man, we only have 50 characters, that's not enough, we have to add more clones to fix this problem!" We already know that he'd be fine with just 50 characters, and if they did want to "fill the void" don't you think it just makes more sense to bring back Wolf or Lucas why not put at least one of them on your roster?

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
He never said anything about wanting to fill the void, besides your roster has over 50 characters, I don't think Sakurai's going to be like "Oh man, we only have 50 characters, that's not enough, we have to add more clones to fix this problem!" We already know that he'd be fine with just 50 characters, and if they did want to "fill the void" don't you think it just makes more sense to bring back Wolf or Lucas why not put at least one of them on your roster?
They would probably add clones that are popular and relevant this time around like Lucina (Whom I think was in because of her easiness to make her and her popularity) over Lucas and Wolf, that's my proposition.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Pretty sure he's referring to Kirby Rainbow Curse

Well, what do you know, he is in the game. I didn't even know that. It's becoming apparent that after the last 4 Kirby titles released, HAL has every intention of making him the fourth member to round out the mainline Kirby characters. Whether he keeps the spear or not will be an entirely different matter altogether.

TheHammmer

Banned via Warnings
Hey everyone im new here. cant wait to play this game!!!!!!
Most all the characters look pretty cool and imaginative.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
That still raises the question of why Dark Pit wasn't revealed with Palutena, when they clearly could have.

Also, it doesn't look like they're trying to use clones to fill up the roster. It looks like they just had a cool idea for an alternate costume that they wanted to give unique characteristics to, and eventually they just decided to make it into a full playable character. Lucina sounds more like a unique exception rather than an indication of things to come.

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
Well, what do you know, he is in the game. I didn't even know that. It's becoming apparent that after the last 4 Kirby titles released, HAL has every intention of making him the fourth member to round out the mainline Kirby characters. Whether he keeps the spear or not will be an entirely different matter altogether.
That's what the Bandana Dee supporters keep trying to tell you guys! :D

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
That's what the Bandana Dee supporters keep trying to tell you guys! :D
Something else I noticed in the image is there are different colored Bandana Dees in the background. Setting aside the possible game implications with Rainbow Curse, those seem like potential pallete swaps for the little guy if he were in Smash. In particular I like the teal body with white bandana. That'd be an interesting color combination.

Last edited:

Second Power

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0774-5502-4430
Lucina sounds more like a unique exception rather than an indication of things to come.
If that's the case, she'll probably end up as the scrappy of this entry. If we have a few more clones, the effect would be lessened/better distributed.

Not only that, but it'd be nice to throw a couple more bones to the ones who like clones :p

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
Something else I noticed in the image is there are different colored Bandana Dees in the background. Setting aside the possible game implications with Rainbow Curse, those seem like potential pallete swaps for the little guy if he were in Smash. In particular I like the teal body with white bandana. That'd be an interesting color combination.
Yeah! We discussed all about that in the Bandana Dee support thread!

However, we have no clue what would be Bandana Dee's role in the new game however. It could be something to do with the story, or some type of Co-Op. No one knows.

Morbi

Scavenger
That still raises the question of why Dark Pit wasn't revealed with Palutena, when they clearly could have.

Also, it doesn't look like they're trying to use clones to fill up the roster. It looks like they just had a cool idea for an alternate costume that they wanted to give unique characteristics to, and eventually they just decided to make it into a full playable character. Lucina sounds more like a unique exception rather than an indication of things to come.
She still conceives a precedent. Whether or not it is relevant is the question subject to debate.

If that's the case, she'll probably end up as the scrappy of this entry. If we have a few more clones, the effect would be lessened/better distributed.

Not only that, but it'd be nice to throw a couple more bones to the ones who like clones :p
I agree with this sentiment. There are not enough characters for players who enjoy clones. Myself included.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue

Well the fact the she's a semi-clone indicates to me there will at least be a few more.
Also you second statement regarding Lucina doesn't make much sense, considering Sakurai also said he even if the characteristics function even slightly different (Dark Pit also uses different weapons), they could be given a seperate slot.
However, even though Lucina shares her physical stats and techniques with Marth, the characteristics of their attacks differ. When two such similar characters function in an even slightly different manner, I give them a separate spot on the roster since that will affect battle records and whatnot. In that sense, you could say she was very lucky to join the fray!

TheHammmer

Banned via Warnings
She still conceives a precedent. Whether or not it is relevant is the question subject to debate.

I agree with this sentiment. There are not enough characters for players who enjoy clones. Myself included.
they better put ganon back in................

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Well the fact the she's a semi-clone indicates to me there will at least be a few more.
Also you second statement regarding Lucina doesn't make much sense, considering Sakurai also said he even if the characteristics function even slightly different (Dark Pit also uses different weapons), they could be given a seperate slot.
Though unlike Lucina, Dark Pit is an actual clone of Pit, and thus has the same basic body type. The height difference Lucina has compared to Marth can't apply here.

And that still raises the question of why Dark Pit wasn't revealed with Palutena.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276

Nah, she'll be more of a Base Breaker. Pichu is the true Scrappy.:p

Morbi

Scavenger
The only problem with that notion is that it is entirely subjective as to what "slightly different" means. One could assert that objectively speaking, almost every potential clone would fall under this category. But that would mean Daisy could be a potential newcomer, would it not? I am not sure of her abilities, but I am sure that they are "slightly different."

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
They would probably add clones that are popular and relevant this time around like Lucina (Whom I think was in because of her easiness to make her and her popularity) over Lucas and Wolf, that's my proposition.
Problem with that theory is that Sakurai said he doesn't want to cut anyone from Brawl. If they have a good opportunity to bring them back I'm sure they would, especially Wolf since he is still a relevant character, who is more popular and well known then Dark Pit and is more important of a character overall.

Morbi

Scavenger
they better put ganon back in................
I am almost entirely certain that Ganondorf will be returning; the better question is: to what extent? Perhaps he will receive some minor changes, or maybe he will endure substantial changes, possibly even drastic alterations. I do not doubt his inclusion in the slightest, however.

TheHammmer

Banned via Warnings
The more characters the better i dont overly care whose in or not but i do have some ideas

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
Though unlike Lucina, Dark Pit is an actual clone of Pit, and thus has the same basic body type. The height difference Lucina has compared to Marth can't apply here.

And that still raises the question

of why Dark Pit wasn't revealed with Palutena.
The quote of Sakurai even says "However, even though Lucina shares her physical stats and techniques with Marth, the characteristics of their attacks differ. When two such similar characters function in an even slightly different manner, I give them a separate spot on the roster since that will affect battle records and whatnot. In that sense, you could say she was very lucky to join the fray!"
I think that nulls your point.

Problem with that theory is that Sakurai said he doesn't want to cut anyone from Brawl. If they have a good opportunity to bring them back I'm sure they would, especially Wolf since he is still a relevant character, who is more popular and well known then Dark Pit and is more important of a character overall.
He just said he wanted to bring as many characters as he can, not cut anyone from Brawl.
And even if that statement was true, there are two certain Pokemon who are likely getting the cut. :ivysaur::squirtle:

The only problem with that notion is that it is entirely subjective as to what "slightly different" means. One could assert that objectively speaking, almost every potential clone would fall under this category. But that would mean Daisy could be a potential newcomer, would it not? I am not sure of her abilities, but I am sure that they are "slightly different."
Sakurai already gave meaning of "slightly different" in the quote I just post, I suggest you read it again to know what it means.

Last edited:

TheHammmer

Banned via Warnings
I'm sure they'll put Ganondorf back in. I just hope that they give him a new moveset.
same remember tht bad ass sword he used to taunt with?? he basically was just taunting the user player because he couldnt use it! lol but seriously theres no reason why he should be a captain falcon clone any more.

I am almost entirely certain that Ganondorf will be returning; the better question is: to what extent? Perhaps he will receive some minor changes, or maybe he will endure substantial changes, possibly even drastic alterations. I do not doubt his inclusion in the slightest, however.
they could possibly make him a projectile character and give him some swords to make him good all around. he uses both in the fights with him. i never really see him punch though lol.

Last edited by a moderator:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
It would seem that the difference here is that Daisy was not "teased" at the end of a newcomer trailer, which Dark Pit was. Which is an odd point considering how there was clearly nothing to stop them from revealing Dark Pit along with Palutena. Which means that if Dark Pit is playable, he's likely going to be at least a semi-clone who's going to get a trailer entirely dedicated to him. While not impossible, it would be rather odd to put so much focus and attention on such a character. Not to mention, Sakurai has a tendency to not mention newcomers by name until they're actually revealed. He never called Palutena by her name until she was revealed, while, for example, he mentioned the character Viridi by name in a random pic of the day, and then was later de-confirmed. Based on that, I feel like Dark Put is basically de-confirmed at this point.

Morbi

Scavenger
same remember tht bad *** sword he used to taunt with?? he basically was just taunting the user player because he couldnt use it! lol but seriously theres no reason why he should be a captain falcon clone any more.
The only relevant reason is that Ganondorf mains, myself included, are attached to his current move-set. I am an advocate of the notion that he could impute his cloned move-set to another character, preferably a F-Zero character, Black Shadow. That would probably be the most logical solution to satisfy all parties except for those who want Black Shadow as his own character.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom