• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

mark welford

Smash Ace
but
Greninja was picked before the public knew about it. Popularity wasn't involved, and it was new. Splatoon soldier could be a great and very interesting character. And seriously, why would tentacle lovers resort to smash as their outlet? I'm sorry, but it seems that many of your points are invalid...
but greninja was put out for series that is already popular and I don't see it happening for a splatoon character as much as I enjoyed watching the demo for spatoon

Staarih

Smash Master
I do think that the Inkling's have potential and wouldn't oppose to see them in Smash, but maybe in the next installment. Splatoon comes out after Smash 4, so it's impossible to say if it will be a popular game or not, and thus warrant a spot in Smash and maybe become a series or something. Roy in Melee and Greninja in this game are from already existing franchises which were foreseen to be popular and good choices, because the franchises themselves already were and are to this day. Splatoon needs to solidify its position before I can see it getting playable representation in Smash.

A trophy or sorts might be possible though. DLC... not sure about that.

Last edited:

mark welford

Smash Ace
I do think that the Inkling's have potential and wouldn't oppose to see them in Smash, but maybe in the next installment. Splatoon comes out after Smash 4, so it's impossible to say if it will be a popular game or not, and thus warrant a spot in Smash and maybe become a series or something. Roy in Melee and Greninja in this game are from already existing franchises which were foreseen to be popular and good choices, because the franchises themselves already were and are to this day. Splatoon needs to solidify its position before I can see it getting playable representation in Smash.

A trophy or sorts might be possible though. DLC... not sure about that.
I agree with your statement greninja is a character for a already popular series what I was trying to say was smash is made up of already popular series and that splatoon would need said popularity to even be considered for smash(next installment)

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
-Copying my post from another thread which I just realized was probably not a good place to post it/I need sleep-

Robin is a truly a difficult character to dissect... Perfect to take a crack at.

Starting with specials, lightning spells seem to be the neutral. I'm assuming that you have a sort of charge meter (without a visible meter of course) in which, when you have a full meter, you perform Arcthunder, after which your meter empties and any subsequent use will be a measly Thunder. For as long as you don't use the attack, the meter will charge back up, with Elthunder being the attack used at half charge. Think of it like the Wario Waft, except with an extremely shorter charge time, presumably. Thoron would be a regular charge attack you would perform by holding the button, and can be done at any time. What I'm unsure of is how the book gets used up, though I assume it just happens if you spam the attack too much, which would leave you without the use of the attack at all with a slightly lengthened time until the meter charges back up and the book returns. Though that's just a guess.

Fire would be the side special with the same mechanic, Arcfire at full charge, Elfire at half, regular Fire at low, spamming loses the book, and you can charge it for the strongest fire attack (I'm not sure what fire spell would be the equivalent of Thoron in Awakening).

The recovery is where things get really tricky, would they actually make a recovery move be limited like this? I believe so, considering the footage in the trailer, and I've got just the idea of how this might work. It's unclear if he goes into a helpless animation as he does go off-screen, but from how it appeared to be used twice in quick succession, I believe this to be a multi-use recovery. Of course the charging mechanic stops this from being the most OP recovery in history, as when you have no book, you would likely end up in an instant helpless fall with no boost whatsoever. That would make this a move you wouldn't want to use just for attacking, rather you would want to keep a full charge so you can Arcwind > Elwind > and Wind back to the stage. You would presumably be able to charge it as well, resulting in a super high boost, but it would leave you helpless as opposed to using it regularly.

Nosferatu appears to be the odd sheep, though that's common of down specials. As Nosferatu doesn't really have any lower forms in Awakening, it'll probably be just a single kind of attack with a single function and no separate charge levels, though spamming it would still make you lose the book. As Nosferatu is a life leaching attack, which appears to be faithfully recreated here, it's a bit of a different take on Ness and Lucas' Magnet, in that you likely have to 'trap' the enemy as you would need to do for a counter, rather than absorbing any projectiles. Of course, it's unclear just how much this damages/heals at this point.

The swords are also quite confusing, some are saying that the regular combo/tilts use the bronze sword, while the Levin sword is used for smash attacks, so I'll just go with that since I have nothing better. The confusing part is the apparent aerial smash attacks, which as mentioned before will likely function as Samus' missiles/super missiles, though I would assume that the right stick will still function as a quick smash (that'll really mess with me as well...) The Levin sword would also disappear if you spam smashes too much, but would appear after a set amount of time. That's all I can gather so far.

Of course the easiest part of his moveset to analyze is his final smash which was blatantly spelled out in the video. He just summons Chrom in his swimsuit to knock out everyone else (for various different reasons). :troll:

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
I'm beginning to think the roster will be bigger than what we might imagine. There are characters yet to be revealed and it's very likely we'll have unlockable characters.

So far, there are 36 characters revealed... That's a lot. Brawl had 39 with 35 slots.

So, let's compare the rosters' numbers:
Game|Starter|Unlockable|Total
Smash 64|8|4|12
Melee|14 (13 slots)|13|26 (25 slots)
Brawl|25 (21 slots)|14|39 (35 slots)
Wii U/3DS|36 (so far)|???|???

Assuming all veterans from Brawl return (including Snake, Ivysaur and Squirtle), the number would go from 36 to exactly 50. Sakurai stated they haven't got many character videos remaining (which doesn't equate to a certain number of reveals, given those trailers may reveal more than one character). Give it some thought.

And I think the starter roster will be revealed on August, considering the CoroCoro magazine announcement and the Nintendo Direct that will very likely happen during that month, which is the last before the 3DS version's release in Japan.

Last edited:

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
I'm beginning to think the roster will be bigger than what we might imagine. There are characters yet to be revealed and it's very likely we'll have unlockable characters.

So far, there are 36 characters revealed... That's a lot. Brawl had 39 with 35 slots.
I brought this up the other day, and now with new clones being a thing, I'm certain this roster will be 50+ possibly in the 60's.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Even if the Robin reveal hasn't change who I think will get in too much, it has certainly changed how large I think the roster is going to be.

Maxilian

Smash Ace
I think I'm the only one who hates the idea of Bandana Dee.
I don't hate it (i used to) but after i read a little about him, i changed my mind, now i'm ok with him (not that i want him, but still if he comes out i will be OK with it)

BTW @BluePsychic why Homura? as far as i know, she's mainly a anime and manga character and appear in a couple of videogames, most of them for cellphones and 1 for PSP :drohmy:

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096

Smash 64|8|4|12

Assuming all veterans from Brawl return (including Snake, Ivysaur and Squirtle), the number would go from 36 to exactly 50. Sakurai stated they haven't got many character videos remaining (which doesn't equate to a certain number of reveals, given those trailers may reveal more than one character). Give it some thought.

And I think the starter roster will be revealed on August, considering the CoroCoro magazine announcement and the Nintendo Direct that will very likely happen during that month, which is the last before the 3DS version's release in Japan.
We do not know who are the starting characters though, so I wouldn't assume that EVERY confirmed character so far will be available right off the bat.

D

Deleted member

@BluePsychic why Homura? as far as i know, she's mainly a anime and manga character and appear in a couple of videogames, most of them for cellphones and 1 for PSP :drohmy:
Symmetry. I know Homura never be playable outside of the Mii Gunner, but Shulk is honestly the only non-veteran I care about at this point. I only have her to make everything symmetrical. If I find a way to make it look nice/symmetrical without her, I'll remove her.

By the way, anyone else wish that on Falcon's page on the website, it said; "Want to know more about Captain Falcon? Visit the official website for Super Smash Bros. Brawl! When are you getting a new game of your own?"

Last edited by a moderator:

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
We do not know who are the starting characters though, so I wouldn't assume that EVERY confirmed character so far will be available right off the bat.
I'm aware of that, but if it happens to be like Brawl and the 3rd parties are unlockable, we'd still have 33 starting characters. Meaning my point still stands.

Sakurai doesn't like to have the game's secrets revealed before release, so I'd assume that all character reveals so far may be available from the start. Unless there are no secret characters this time, then this wouldn't obviously apply.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
It's funny about the clone thing, considering that the Namco fighting games Soul Caliber and Tekken tend to be excessive with that, especially the latter. Though for the latter, it does have benefits in the Tekken Tag Tournament games considering the overall reduction of learning the tag team and the better synchronization leaving less gaps.

queenrosetta

Smash Apprentice
I'm aware of that, but if it happens to be like Brawl and the 3rd parties are unlockable, we'd still have 33 starting characters. Meaning my point still stands.

Sakurai doesn't like to have the game's secrets revealed before release, so I'd assume that all character reveals so far may be available from the start. Unless there are no secret characters this time, then this wouldn't obviously apply.
But it's not just the 3rd parties. Because when he revealed lungi he said he usually doesn't reveal him bc he's always a secret character. So I think it was just special circumstance for him and probably even toon link bc he was revealed because of the windwaker release. So I think quite a few we got are going to be secrets.
Now don't get me wrong though bc I think we are gonna have a fairly large roster

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096

I'm only mentioning this, because of the fact that Mario Kart 8 had unlockables, despite revealing the whole cast before release.

Whether or not this will apply to Smash 4 remains to be seen, but seeing as YouTube spoils everything anyway, Sakurai probably won't bother hiding anything from us this time around.

TheNerdyOne_

Smash Ace

I think Luigi, at least, will be an unlockable as well. Sakurai specifically said during his reveal that they usually never talk about him before release, but they made an exception this time because of the Year of Luigi.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I'm only mentioning this, because of the fact that Mario Kart 8 had unlockables, despite revealing the whole cast before release.
Doesn't Mario Kart usually always reveal the whole roster before release? I recall them doing the same for Mario Kart 7 although I can't remember if they did this as well for the other previous games in the series so I could be wrong....

The Nerd

Smash Journeyman
-Copying my post from another thread which I just realized was probably not a good place to post it/I need sleep-

Robin is a truly a difficult character to dissect... Perfect to take a crack at.

Starting with specials, lightning spells seem to be the neutral. I'm assuming that you have a sort of charge meter (without a visible meter of course) in which, when you have a full meter, you perform Arcthunder, after which your meter empties and any subsequent use will be a measly Thunder. For as long as you don't use the attack, the meter will charge back up, with Elthunder being the attack used at half charge. Think of it like the Wario Waft, except with an extremely shorter charge time, presumably. Thoron would be a regular charge attack you would perform by holding the button, and can be done at any time. What I'm unsure of is how the book gets used up, though I assume it just happens if you spam the attack too much, which would leave you without the use of the attack at all with a slightly lengthened time until the meter charges back up and the book returns. Though that's just a guess.

Fire would be the side special with the same mechanic, Arcfire at full charge, Elfire at half, regular Fire at low, spamming loses the book, and you can charge it for the strongest fire attack (I'm not sure what fire spell would be the equivalent of Thoron in Awakening).

The recovery is where things get really tricky, would they actually make a recovery move be limited like this? I believe so, considering the footage in the trailer, and I've got just the idea of how this might work. It's unclear if he goes into a helpless animation as he does go off-screen, but from how it appeared to be used twice in quick succession, I believe this to be a multi-use recovery. Of course the charging mechanic stops this from being the most OP recovery in history, as when you have no book, you would likely end up in an instant helpless fall with no boost whatsoever. That would make this a move you wouldn't want to use just for attacking, rather you would want to keep a full charge so you can Arcwind > Elwind > and Wind back to the stage. You would presumably be able to charge it as well, resulting in a super high boost, but it would leave you helpless as opposed to using it regularly.

Nosferatu appears to be the odd sheep, though that's common of down specials. As Nosferatu doesn't really have any lower forms in Awakening, it'll probably be just a single kind of attack with a single function and no separate charge levels, though spamming it would still make you lose the book. As Nosferatu is a life leaching attack, which appears to be faithfully recreated here, it's a bit of a different take on Ness and Lucas' Magnet, in that you likely have to 'trap' the enemy as you would need to do for a counter, rather than absorbing any projectiles. Of course, it's unclear just how much this damages/heals at this point.

The swords are also quite confusing, some are saying that the regular combo/tilts use the bronze sword, while the Levin sword is used for smash attacks, so I'll just go with that since I have nothing better. The confusing part is the apparent aerial smash attacks, which as mentioned before will likely function as Samus' missiles/super missiles, though I would assume that the right stick will still function as a quick smash (that'll really mess with me as well...) The Levin sword would also disappear if you spam smashes too much, but would appear after a set amount of time. That's all I can gather so far.

Of course the easiest part of his moveset to analyze is his final smash which was blatantly spelled out in the video. He just summons Chrom in his swimsuit to knock out everyone else (for various different reasons). :troll:
You should join us in the Robin Moveset Speculation Thread, where we discuss at length different theories for his moveset. I like the idea that his recovery is multi-use but he can also burn through the wind tome too quickly and leave him with nothing, much like Olimar's recovery in Brawl or IC's recovery; very good so long as you pay attention (Keeping Pikmin/Nana/Fully stocked wind tome). I'm going to add it to the list of things I think are likely. In one of the pictures of Robin you can see him shooting it out diagonally downward as well, so perhaps it's an incredibly versatile air move that would normally be OP, but using it is incredibly risky? I can't wait to find out.

ElPanandero

Smash Lord
NNID
ElPanandero
I think I'm the only one who hates the idea of Bandana Dee.
Nope, I hate him just as much as you, I can't think of a worse character for smash and would literally prefer any otehr nintendo character ever in before him. But I would never say any of that out loud because that would just make people mad and start a word war :troll:

Also, from objective people, has Balloom Fighter lost all hope as a retro character? I saw the support thread and got amped, but I know how bias the ppole in those are about a character's chances. Between him or Mach rider I'd be too pumped.

Last edited:

TeenGirlSquad

Smash Master

Smash 64|8|4|12

You miscounted with Melee. There were 15 starters (14 slots) and 11 unlockables.

Shun_one

Smash Ace
NNID
not_shun_one

Smash 64|8|4|12

Not counting Mii Sword Fighter/Gunner/Brawler as separate for your total calculations is a bit odd considering Sakurai stated they're essentially 3 separate characters. It's the same as counting transformations as separate, so we're really at 38.

Last edited:

Niala

Smash Ace
Nope, I hate him just as much as you, I can't think of a worse character for smash and would literally prefer any otehr nintendo character ever in before him. But I would never say any of that out loud because that would just make people mad and start a word war :troll:

Also, from objective people, has Balloom Fighter lost all hope as a retro character? I saw the support thread and got amped, but I know how bias the ppole in those are about a character's chances. Between him or Mach rider I'd be too pumped.
I think the only hope for Balloon Fighter is as a clone, now. Villager uses the balloons for his UpB, so it seems somewhat unlikely he'll be a unique character now. I really wouldn't hold my breath for him, to be honest.

ElPanandero

Smash Lord
NNID
ElPanandero
Damn, forgot about that. Well the villager does also use boxing gloves like Mac, but It lookes like I've got to keep waiting. But I'll hold on to a tiny glimmer of hope for his inclusion some how.

I just want a cool unique retro character, I'm sick of the ROBs and G/W. Mach and BF have so much more potential.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Photoshop is a thing.
It's clearly a different model. It's more zoomed out, the proportions are different, he's much less shiny, and the angle is different.

And why would the OFFICIAL Rayman Facebook page photoshop it to look different when they can post the original one anyway?

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
It's clearly a different model. It's more zoomed out, the proportions are different, he's much less shiny, and the angle is different.

And why would the OFFICIAL Rayman Facebook page photoshop it to look different when they can post the original one anyway?
Are you trying to convince me that he's playable? Please don't try to break my heart.

Surely there wouldn't be two separate trophies for the same random, non-playable, third party character.

As for the photoshop explanation, lots of official things use it, like those magazines with hilarious anatomy failure shops.

SmasherMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
TelevisionGamer
Damn, forgot about that. Well the villager does also use boxing gloves like Mac, but It lookes like I've got to keep waiting. But I'll hold on to a tiny glimmer of hope for his inclusion some how.

I just want a cool unique retro character, I'm sick of the ROBs and G/W. Mach and BF have so much more potential.
Both ROB and Game and Watch are veterans and most people here do not like the idea of characters cuts. Plus, without those two, neither Mach Rider or Balloon Fighter would probably exist.

ihskeyp

Smash Ace
Last edited:

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
...Oh god, I actually have hope that he's a hidden character now.
@God Robert's Cousin
Earlier when you mentioned that, if he were playable, his trophy would be his fighter model, rather than a different random model...

[collapse=]
[/collapse]
Just look at that first damn Fox trophy. I don't want to fool myself into thinking Rayman is in but fuuuuuuuuuuuu-

ElPanandero

Smash Lord
NNID
ElPanandero
Both ROB and Game and Watch are veterans and most people here do not like the idea of characters cuts. Plus, without those two, neither Mach Rider or Balloon Fighter would probably exist.
Oh I didn't mean for them to be cut, nor do I argue against their historical significance to the ideo game industry. I just find them (or their movesets rather) very bland and not very exciting. I want a unique retro character to come be brought in who brings something new to the table, instead of the most generic robot moveset or a mishmash of random objects being swung around. They're fine characters as historical industry reps, and we have those, so why not bring in someone cool. YOu have to admit that when each was revealed at their time, not many people were excited, hell people still hate ROB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom