• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
Well, see, now people are defending Jigglypuff on the basis of being a veteran. This entire conversation started as a "why can Mewtwo not replace Jigglypuff?"

You've all answered it yourselves. Why would Mewtwo replace Jigglypuff now if he didn't before?
Because there was no strong reason to back then, but there is now?Gamefreak and the Pokemon company had no reason to want Mewtwo in back then, it was up to Sakurai to choose between the two, they had no input on who he should add over the other because they didn't care since they both stopped making significant appearances in the anime and games, but now they do care, because now they're doing many things with Mewtwo unlike before, they care about promoting Mewtwo NOW. And if they go to Sakurai asking to put in Mewtwo I can't see why he wouldn't, especially see how he's the most wanted character for the game. I'm also not saying Jigglypuff's gone, they could have both, he might add both, but if they had to choose I don't think that Gamefreak and the Pokemon company would be ok with Jigglypuff over Mewtwo now, and I don't think Sakurai would fight against the idea of Mewtwo over Jigglypuff, especially with how much more significant Mewtwo's become now and how much want him.

Last edited:

Maxilian

Smash Ace
HA! LOL

Nah but I don't think it's gonna happen this time around.
If we get a new Metroid rep, I'd prefer to see Sylux over Ridley.

And for a new Zelda rep, good GOD I do not want to see Ghirahim. I f**king hate Skyward Sword and he's just a stupid character. There are SO MANY other Zelda villains you can have instead of Ghirahim. F**king put in Vaati, or Beast Ganon. Or Impa. Put Impa in.

This guy. Put him in. I'd rather have him over Ghirahim.

It's not even, like...ugh..
I'll take Groose even! Put in Groose! What I said about Skyward Sword being the issue, I lied. No Ghirahim plz.
Why do you dislike Ghirahim so much? is true that he's a weird character but as the game goes by, you see how his personality evolve, getting affected by your action and, at the same time, he become cooler

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
Why do you dislike Ghirahim so much? is true that he's a weird character but as the game goes by, you see how his personality evolve, getting affected by your action and, at the same time, he become cooler
Personally, I like Ghirahim...in Zelda. I just don't want him in Smash.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
And for a new Zelda rep, good GOD I do not want to see Ghirahim. I f**king hate Skyward Sword and he's just a stupid character. There are SO MANY other Zelda villains you can have instead of Ghirahim. F**king put in Vaati, or Beast Ganon. Or Impa. Put Impa in..
.....I feel like it's better for everyone's health if I just don't reply to this. :ohwell:

Last edited:

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
I remember back in Brawl, when I thought Zant would be the newest Zelda newcomer to the series.

Of course, I know better now. In Smash Bros. games to come, will Ghirahim really be relevant?

That's why Pig Ganon is my most-wanted Zelda newcomer. In years to come, Ganon will be remembered as the great King of Evil, not as a relic of roster's past like Shiek.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
In a perfect world, Trainer RED would be the final Pokemon character, who uses Bulbasaur, Squirtle, Charmander, Pichu and Jigglypuff in his moveset. And a super overpowered Mewtwo would be his final smash. Therefore, we'd get Pikachu, Lucario, Greninja, Charizard, and Trainer. Every Pokemon to ever be in Smash. :) (Switched Ivy for Bulba for consistency's sake).

Heck, if Robin can switch tomes, RED can switch Pokemon attacks.

The costumes would be:

RED (Red)
Black/White (Blue)
Emerald (Green)
Gold (Color 4)
D/P (Color 5)

Every trainer would have his own female alt.
So it'd be like Villager, except each color also gets an alt.

Last edited:

Maxilian

Smash Ace
I remember back in Brawl, when I thought Zant would be the newest Zelda newcomer to the series.

Of course, I know better now. In Smash Bros. games to come, will Ghirahim really be relevant?

That's why Pig Ganon is my most-wanted Zelda newcomer. In years to come, Ganon will be remembered as the great King of Evil, not as a relic of roster's past like Shiek.
Well i like the idea of Pig Ganon, but not really because i want the character in, is just because i feel that it will complete the 2 of the trio (we have 2 Links and 2 Zeldas but only 1 Ganon(dorf))

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627

I remember people wanted Midna. I was against that then too. But she's stuck around as a fan favorite. If she had been confirmed instead of an assist trophy, i'd have been okay with that. But Ghirahim doesn't or at least hasn't had that same staying power. Honestly, the 5 Zelda reps of Link, Toon Link, Zelda, Sheik, and Ganondorf are plenty. That's all we need if you ask me. They're the most important people in the Zelda universe.

TylerBlackRunIt

I'm from YouTube
3DS FC
2509-3601-8302
I would love to have Ghirahim as a playable character, but I think Impa is a better choice... :4greninja:

Last edited:

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
We are sorely lacking in Classic Zelda reps. And since Classic Link is out...

I think it's obvious which Zelda character needs to rep the old series.

YUGA PAINTS HIMSELF IN!

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Yuga would actually be a pretty cool addition, his Paintbrush could be used in a lot of unique ways.

But he's blatantly a combination of Ganon and Ghirahim, so it would upset me if he was in.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Yuga would actually be a pretty cool addition, his Paintbrush could be used in a lot of unique ways.

But he's blatantly a combination of Ganon and Ghirahim, so it would upset me if he was in.
I thought he was more of a Kefka/Ganondorf composite.

Seriously, why would anyone in their right mind trust him?

Tr1pleDee

Together now!
NNID
Tr1pleDee
3DS FC
2964-8670-3007
Switch FC
SW-6770-0026-7427
Since I seem to be obsessed with drawing Kirby hats, heres a Robin Kirby

Mainly drew because that Chorus Kids one I had as my avatar was starting to look a bit derpy.

It's a little sloppy, but when you draw using your finger it tends to look that way.:dizzy:

Edit: The values are actually drawn on a seperate layer. So when you make that transparent, you get a more simple version. Nice for wallpapers and whatnot.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Poh-tay-to, Poh-tah-to.
When you're using a name to make a point (in this particular case using the "Classic Timeline" name to claim that Yuga, a character not present in any game before 2013, is a "Classic" character), you kind of have to use the right name.

Using the correct name makes or breaks a point. In this case, breaks it.
Since Yuga isn't a "Classic" character because the official timeline where the literal "classics" come from isn't the "Classic" Timeline.

The Nerd

Smash Journeyman
I'm not saying they couldn't be, I'm just saying it's fairly unlikely considering this is the first and only example of a character being changed from the leak, which has been fairly accurate in the past. I don't think that's disregarding anything, if anything removing both Shulk and a RH character from a roster is disregarding the accuracy of the past claims. I'm not saying it's without a doubt going to be Chorus Men, but Sakurai doesn't willy-nilly include a new series in Smash, there's a lot of content that comes with it, and removing one of those characters would be different than swapping out one character from an existing series for another. If there was another Xenoblade character on par with Shulk I'd say it could be them instead, but I'm fairly certain we'll still be getting both a Xenoblade and a Rhythm Heaven character. And I don't think the leak is gospel, but I do think there's enough reason and precedence to expect the last two claims in some form....

...but that's not the important part. It's an aspect of the leak that didn't pan out, yes... but all the characters claimed in the first batch how now been confirmed. What was wrong definitely doesn't outweigh what was right, especially considering how much of a long shot some of those characters were.

1. No one was even expecting an X/Y Pokemon to be revealed, so it wasn't like that was some generally popular pick. Plus later Sakurai confirmed that the slot was decided before the character was, which supports the vagueness of the info.
2. People assumed Palutena was going to be in long before the leak pics. She was expected and wanted and she got in, how can that be a point against the leak? Should it have omitted the popular characters who were still gonna get in regardless of whether they were leaked? That would only hurt the leak's credibility.
3. The leaked info came from before Greninja was decided upon, so it's pretty outdated by now, which can explain why there are changes to it, but it doesn't discredit the entirety of the leak, only re-affirms it shouldn't be believed to the word and unquestionably.
4. Yeah, he was wrong about Shulk. Then again he was also wrong about the E3 timeframe as well. I don't think anyone is pretending the leak has always been 100% correct, but it has been correct enough in the past over almost everything that dismissing it now because of one change seems a little short-sighted. There's still a fairly good reason to believe we'll be getting Shulk and a RH character, even if that reason isn't as strong as before.

Basically, I agree that it shouldn't be followed blindly, as not everything is correct, but the track record is good enough, especially regarding the characters, that it'd still probably be in peoples' best interest to keep the expectation of Shulk and at least a RH character alive.
I'm sorry, I was a bit unclear with my points. It's not that the X/Y pokemon was popular, but that it was unverifiable; a quick count of pokemon I could have seen them putting into smash from X/Y includes 8 without including mega forms of older pokemon. The odds of us having every single one of these likely 8 deconfirmed at any point prior to the games release is incredibly low. This makes this leak *very* safe; I could have claimed that Smash was going to have at least three new female characters prior to the announcement of Smash 4 and would either be proven right before the game came out, or only proven wrong once the complete roster was known. Because of this, I have a hard time believing this.

As for Palutena, again I was unclear; everyone assumed she would be in so leaking she's in should not give credibility, regardless of other circumstance. I was simply pointing out the picture evidence to strengthen this point.

For point 3 I feel that "assuming the second half of the leak is valid, it came pre-roster finalization" is a better way to look at it. That is two years ago; was the leaker simply sitting on the knowledge he had for half a year? I cannot make sense of it.

Ultimately I feel that there is too much evidence one way to suggest that the leak was entirely composed of lies, but too much evidence the other to say with any certainty that the remainder of the leak is even slightly accurate. Clearly Rhythm Heaven is being acknowledged, but it is possible that Chorus Kids will not work out, or Sakurai will decide this series is better suited to a stage. Xenoblade can go either way; I would *very* much like to see Shulk, I think he's a cool character, and this roster is getting too 'blue' for me, but I'm not putting any particular weight on him one way or another.

That being said, I really hope Shulk is in. Chorus Kids I'm open to, but would need to see before I'm convinced one way or another, but having a Jedi-esque character in Smash would be pretty damn cool.

Con0rrrr

PPMD Kreygasm
NNID
Con0rrrr
3DS FC
4656-6340-0779
I don't hate Ghirahim. I personally just find his character creepy. But not in the way Nintendo intended him to be creepy. I shouldn't be scared of a character ****** me. Ghirahim did that.

Joe D.

Smash Ace
NNID
NeroSnare
3DS FC
2552-1665-5337
I'm not discrediting the leak, since it has been extremely valid up to this point. However, outdated info is outdated info and I believe there are plenty of surprises left that the leak hadn't got a hold of.

D

Deleted member

Glad to see that Robin & Lucina got revealed today. I thought for sure that we were going to get Chrom either this trailer or the next. The fact that Robin & Lucina got confirmed and that Chrom got confirmed as a Final Smash has me feeling vindicated; the first time I've felt this ever since Mega Man's reveal.

I'm glad that we got another surprise. Best of all, Robin marks the first Nintendo newcomer I wanted that actually got in this game.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I don't hate Ghirahim. I personally just find his character creepy. But not in the way Nintendo intended him to be creepy. I shouldn't be scared of a character ****** me. Ghirahim did that.
*sigh* That's not Ghirahim's fault really, more just people adding sexual aspects where there really aren't any.
Nintendo intended him to be creepy in more than one way, but I am pretty sure that was not one of them.

Con0rrrr

PPMD Kreygasm
NNID
Con0rrrr
3DS FC
4656-6340-0779
*sigh* That's not Ghirahim's fault really, more just people adding sexual aspects where there really aren't any.
Nintendo intended him to be creepy in more than one way, but I am pretty sure that was not one of them.
I know they didn't intend to, but it certainly came off that way to me and a lot of others lol. But I know they did not intend that. Just when a character is constantly touching you, nearly licking you with their snake tongue, acting flamboyant... I just got uncomfortable.

Twin Shot

Smash Journeyman
I think we are getting a RH rep.
Just will probably not be a "chorus men" trio.
That could have easily shifted in development, especially if they had a hard time with the Ice Climbers.

No evidence against or for Snake or Shulk.

Lucas being cut also pends on Gematsu, which was clearly early info.

Would imagine if we did have a 47+R situation, the reveal yesterday upped it to 49+R.

That's all of the Brawl (sans Ivy and Squirtle) back and 3 of the characters listed above.

There would be space in a 49+R for ALL of the above if Mii Fighters and Random shared a spot.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I know they didn't intend to, but it certainly came off that way to me and a lot of others lol. But I know they did not intend that. Just when a character is constantly touching you, nearly licking you with their snake tongue, acting flamboyant... I just got uncomfortable.
Like I said, you're just adding a sexual paranoia to the equation. But I won't press the issue.
And I've got to point out he doesn't even lick Link once, he just waves his tongue to taunt him. It's a anime trope.

I would actually like Ghirahim in the game. I think he has merits and he's definitely workable. I'd enjoy seeing him.
I'd like to agree, but I don't getting crucified for being biased.
I am, but still.

*The Sensus Crustulum*

Smash Journeyman
New roster!
3DS Roster.png

It's not really a prediction roster, it's more of a dream/prediction roster.
Miis are to the side due to being customizable.
Green indicates newcomers.
Red indicates clones.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
New roster!View attachment 18313

It's not really a prediction roster, it's more of a dream/prediction roster.
Miis are to the side due to being customizable.
Green indicates newcomers.
Red indicates clones.
This roster automatically has my approval for including Lucina AND Robin.

Oh wait...:bee:

You also have my approval for Riddles McDiddles and Debbie.

Last edited:

Andinus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kyonyuudaisuki
One of the reasons I feel is that it broke the expectation of the '47 roster'. I mean, while we don't know the fate of every veteran, with the Sal leak, we had a good idea. Now that most people discredit the leak, all hell has broken loose.
Personally I still feel the 47 + random is the roster we are getting,
The leak may be discredited some but I don't think that's reason to believe the roster will soar beyond 50, especially considering what Sakurai recently said about reaching the bottom of the barrel. I think we will see 1 more newcomer trailer, 2 more veteran reveals. And one maybe two hidden newcomers depending on cuts, which right now my gut tells me, (sadly) Lucas, Snake, Squirtle, Ivysaur, and possibly Wolf is cut.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Personally I still feel the 47 + random is the roster we are getting,
The leak may be discredited some but I don't think that's reason to believe the roster will soar beyond 50, especially considering what Sakurai recently said about reaching the bottom of the barrel. I think we will see 1 more newcomer trailer, 2 more veteran reveals. And one maybe two hidden newcomers depending on cuts, which right now my gut tells me, (sadly) Lucas, Snake, Squirtle, Ivysaur, and possibly Wolf is cut.
We got Lucina. She is probably completely a clone.

You have absolutely no reason to believe Lucas and Wolf are cut.

D

Deleted member

Aside from Lucas currently being the only Japanese-exclusive character, you mean.

While I don't believe Lucas is cut for sure, I'm not going to be positive on his return until he's revealed or if Mother 3 is revealed to be internationally released through Virtual Console.

Sonic Poke

Smash Lord
Well, what about this situation:
The characters in the website are listed in groups of nine. What if when all characters get revealed all squares get filled? Well look at the image above and you will understand:

Look, groups of nine. Below I started to put the name of the characters we all agree that are going to return. Nine characters. We all agree that we are going to get more newcomes, then I had to start another group. This group have the name of the characters that have some risk of not returning. Four characters. Then we have other five spaces to be filled.

So, If we are not going to get white squares in the official site, the roster have the size of 54 characters.

Morbi

Scavenger
Aside from Lucas currently being the only Japanese-exclusive character, you mean.

While I don't believe Lucas is cut for sure, I'm not going to be positive on his return until he's revealed or if Mother 3 is revealed to be internationally released through Virtual Console.
I do not understand, why is it relevant that he is a Japanese-exclusive character? I thought that that was irrelevant as we have had Japanese-exclusive characters prior. Is it arbitrarily important now that he is the only one?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom