• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I don't think anything not related to E3 is valid.
So no Chorus Kids are an enigma.

The Sneaky Spirit does indicate some RH content. It does not guarantee a character, but it's something.
So I am hoping for the Ringside Duo.

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
I want to bring up the fact that Lucina wasn't made into an alt of Marth because there was a small difference in her abilities. Don't you think that Dark Pit could have no difference in abilities from Pit, so he's just made as an alt of Pit? I actually think it would work better that way since they look exactly the same.

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
I could see Sakurai throwing Dark Pit in to beef up the roster as well, but I hope he doesn't... there are other series with potential for semi-clones who could use the beefing up more than a series with three games and an existing newcomer.
As I've said, I find Dark Pit very unlikely due to the fact that he wasn't outright confirmed with Palutena. They clearly had no problem revealing a clone character alongside another unique newcomer from the same series, so I don't see why Dark Pit would be kept hidden.

As of recently, yeah Bowser Jr has kinda taken a back seat, but overall he still has that importance and popularity that would make him a pretty logical semi-clone if Sakurai were so inclined. Just because his notable roles aren't super super recent doesn't mean he's less deserving, he's still shown up in several main Mario titles and countless spin-offs, plus had even more popularity than Rosalina before her reveal.

And he's still had notable roles post-Brawl, which is where Sakurai seems to be drawing pretty much all the characters from, excluding the third-parties. But yeah, it is only one possibility of many.
I don't know. I just think that there are other series that should gain some attention.

Although exceptions for Toad because he's Toad :troll:

This is why the sudden burst (by burst I meant 2) of newcomers in FE was good news. FE, compared to the big franchises, is not really famous.

I'm looking at Star Fox by the way. I think it wouldn't hurt to add Slippy Toad to **** everyone and piss on their brains. Oh boy. Delicious delirium

Miffa

The Money Man
NNID
DeanMiffa
That depends, I've never played Uprising, so uh...
Is Dark Pit a direct clone of Pit in Kid Icarus Uprising like there is between Link and Dark Link?
Dark pit is made by the mirror of truth and a clone of pit that is the opposite of him in personality if that make sense.

GunGunW

Smash Lord
NNID
GunGunW
I remember Sakurai saying that during the digital E3 event they can't reveal everything before launch. What would they keep secret until then?

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Turns out that Japan still has hope for a non-Chorus Men Rhythm heaven rep after all.

I can easily get behind Karate Joe, but not to big on the samurai since there's obviously one that I'd rather have over him. :troll:

Either way, I'll still be on Rhythm Girl's side since she is Rhythm Heaven Incarnate after all if she's heavily advertised in each game.

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
Dark pit is made by the mirror of truth and a clone of pit that is the opposite of him in personality if that make sense.
Ok, thanks. That's all I needed to know. In that case I think Dark Pit seems more likely to be an alternate than a separate character.
I remember Sakurai saying that during the digital E3 event they can't reveal everything before launch. What would they keep secret until then?
Probably Ridley, Mr Game and Watch, Mewtwo, Krystal, and Paper Mario.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
As I've said, I find Dark Pit very unlikely due to the fact that he wasn't outright confirmed with Palutena. They clearly had no problem revealing a clone character alongside another unique newcomer from the same series, so I don't see why Dark Pit would be kept hidden.
Well G&W wasn't outright confirmed with Pac-Man...

I think it could go both ways. I mean, why even include and hint at Dark Pit at all? He didn't need to do that.
It's entirely possible Sakurai just doesn't have a trailer planned for Dark Pit as he could be a semi-clone revealed upon release. Sakurai comments do indicate we might not receive a trailer for every newcomer. Maybe Sakurai didn't want new clones confirmed at E3. Maybe Sakurai didn't want to reveal more newcomers at E3 than the ones that were revealed. Maybe he wasn't in a state to be shown. And maybe he just doesn't have a playable role. Maybe he's just an alt.

There's a lot of options for what could pan out...

Autumn ♫

I'm terrible with these Custom Titles.
Just wondering about you guys, but how did you all like the Kellam reveal? Personally, I think 5 Fire Emblem characters is a bit much, but I bet nobody will notice to much. :awesome:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I don't know. I just think that there are other series that should gain some attention.

Although exceptions for Toad because he's Toad :troll:

This is why the sudden burst (by burst I meant 2) of newcomers in FE was good news. FE, compared to the big franchises, is not really famous.
This is true, I'm just thinking along the lines of logical semi-clones who would actually warrant a spot on the roster.

Though Mario is Mario, so even with six characters that's still not that many compared to how big the series really is. Plus Pokemon got that many last time. Could wind up getting that many this time as well.

shrooby

Let me know when I'm supposed to laugh, okay?
BRoomer
NNID
shrooby
3DS FC
2320-6364-8294
Just wondering about you guys, but how did you all like the Kellam reveal? Personally, I think 5 Fire Emblem characters is a bit much, but I bet nobody will notice to much. :awesome:
He is on the Awakening box art, so clearly he's an important character. It only makes sense that he'd be included!

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
I think Dark Pit will be a playable character.

Lucina is arguably more of a clone than Doctor Mario. So the bar is set even lower for clones.

Sakurai has already loaded the game with unique and custom characters, so I am not going to give him any grief this time around for clones.

Plus, the inclusion of the super-clone Lucina sets a precedent for more like her which would amount to an easy way to make DL characters (even with a different development team).

E3 probably was not the right moment to showcase and explain clones. But a random day introducing a newcomer, a super-clone, and a great presentation of a veteran takes away the level of stagnation the introduction of a clone might introduce on its own.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
So, uh, what happened to Shulk, presumably Chorus Men, and Mewtwo, exactly?
Didn't you hear? Gematsu is dead, that means we can just disregard all those times they were both correct in predicting characters no one else did and in predicting every character minus one up until yesterday! Now we don't have to believe Shulk and a RH character are pretty inevitable even though they are! Now we can just add all the Ridleys and K. Rools and whoever we want because one FE character was swapped with another and we got a clone!

:troll:

Xenorange

Smash Lord
Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I think Dark Pit will be a playable character.
Lucina is arguably more of a clone than Doctor Mario. So the bar is set even lower for clones.
Sakurai has already loaded the game with unique and custom characters, so I am not going to give him any grief this time around for clones.
Plus, the inclusion of the super-clone Lucina sets a precedent for more like her which would amount to an easy way to make DL characters (even with a different development team).
I would wait until we play both character and see all of there moves before claiming she's "more" of a clone than other clones.

Xenorange

Smash Lord
Didn't you hear? Gematsu is dead, that means we can just disregard all those times they were both correct in predicting characters no one else did and in predicting every character minus one up until yesterday! Now we don't have to believe Shulk and a RH character are pretty inevitable even though they are! Now we can just add all the Ridleys and K. Rools and whoever we want because one FE character was swapped with another and we got a clone!

Nothing but the truth here. All the straws.

Last edited:

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
In terms of changes (stripping away Marth's mechanic) and making her shorter, she seems like the beginner's Marth.

?????????????

Smash Master
So, uh, what happened to Shulk, presumably Chorus Men, and Mewtwo, exactly?
Wanted to keep roster at 50 slots. Wanted to return every Brawl character (minus Squirtle and Ivysaur). Left me with two slots. Never have had a roster without K. Rool and Ridley.

Never been a crowd follower. :troll:

Nah, seriously. If something in Gematsu is untrue, then there's no basis to say that the entire thing couldn't be untrue. So I'll run with it and do what I feel like.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Never been a crowd follower. :troll:

Nah, seriously. If something in Gematsu is untrue, then there's no basis to say that the entire thing couldn't be untrue. So I'll run with it and do what I feel like.
Yesh, but it's a bit of a leap between one part being untrue and the entire rest of the leak being untrue when it's been more accurate than not in the past.

It's your roster though, so obv do as you please... but you're gonna be sorry when we still get Shulk and a RH character. :p

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
I still don't see why Sakurai, Game Freak, and the Pokemon company would agree to leave out Mewtwo just to keep Jigglypuff in there. I think it would be in all of there best interest to have Mewtwo in, for promotion and because he's more wanted then even Mega Man. I also think if a series as small as Fire Emblem can get up to 4 characters I think Pokemon can definitely get 6, especially since it got 6 in the last game. I also think there's good enough evidence pointing to Shulk being in.

?????????????

Smash Master
Yesh, but it's a bit of a leap between one part being untrue and the entire rest of the leak being untrue when it's been more accurate than not in the past.

It's your roster though, so obv do as you please... but you're gonna be sorry when we still get Shulk and a RH character. :p
No I'm not! Shulk is awesome and I love Rhythm Heaven :grin:

I still don't see why Sakurai, Game Freak, and the Pokemon company would agree to leave out Mewtwo just to keep Jigglypuff in there.
Because they did it before.

Last edited:

The Nerd

Smash Journeyman

Even supposing it is a legit leak, if one character could be changed in development, then why not another? Or two?

Don't get me wrong, I like Shulk and I'm intrigued by the Chorus Kids. But it feels very strange to completely disregard evidence on ether side, both the successes and failures. The first half of the leak, Megaman, Wii Fit Trainer, Villager, Little Mac, Pacman, and Miis, were all supposed to be announced at E3 2013. Even if you want to claim that the leaker was saying only E3, Little Mac breaks this trend. This means either the leak was a *very* lucky guess, or more likely the leaker is not being 100% truthful.

The second batch of characters reeks more of this; a Pokemon from X/Y is so vague and impossible to prove false that it's hardly worth considering a single bit of attention. Palutena at the time had a very convincing set of leaked photos, prompting everyone and their dog to assume she was in. I consider neither of them impressive as prediction; part two on it's own has very little in terms of actual merit, it's entirely trusted on the (somewhat incredible) strength of part 1. But especially with Chrom no longer in there, and the leaker claiming or *heavily implying* Shulk was the next to be announced, I find that there is no reason to believe they are telling the truth, *regardless* of their actual connections to Nintendo. If they do have legitimate information about Smash, which I do not doubt, then it is likely outdated and definitely mixed with false information, perhaps to keep the Nintendo Legal team from sneaking into the leaker's house in the night and pulling a Mario on their kneecaps.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
King K. Rool has always been massively bigger than DK. Could he be the new heaviest character?

He would probably need a reflector to be feasible (Down B = Belly Bounce).

I am sure B would be his crown (which he could always belly bounce when it returns to him for a fast, stright, hard hitting projectile).

Side B could be a death roll. He bites and then spins forward. If someone is caught in the bite, they go for a ride spinning in the crocodile's mouth.

Up B could be a cannon shot aimed below him that propels him upwards. However, he has to first load the cannon by an initial input of Up B.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom