• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Just because we get a new clone doesn't mean we'll get previously cut clones... I mean we didn't get Roy, we got Lucina. Who knows, instead of getting Doc, we might get Bowser Jr as a clone or something.

Though I'm not expecting that.

Twin Shot

Smash Journeyman
Well... he said person not the same moves (Dr. Mario is still Mario, while Lucina and Marth are 2 different character even if they have the same moves -Like how Roy and Marth were in Melee-) and yes... Toon Link and Link are not the same person :drifloon:
True, I was excite!

Question, then:

Would Mario and Paper Mario be "different people?"

It's a slippery slope, and I am not even going to touch the whole Link thing...

mark welford

Smash Ace
I can see megaman, pac-man, sonic, falco, wolf, wario, R.O.B., captain falcon, ness, and meta knight being unlockable I think one of the 3rd party characters will be a starter im thinking most likely sonic and jigglypuff will be a unlockable

Last edited:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I think we're getting Wario, Meta Knight, Ice Climbers, and Ness before release at this point.
With Captain Falcon revealed I'm fairly positive we'll see Ness before release. MAYBE Jigglypuff.

As for newcomers, Shulk and Chorus Kids are likely pre-release reveals.
Characters like K. Rool and Ridley (and Mewtwo if he counts) could be kept secret, although they're great hype characters.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Alright, I've got a new prediction roster. So satisfying that two characters I would get a ton of **** for including on a roster, especially at the same time, got confirmed back to back.
Here it is.

Lucina Is Here  Roster.png

Purple denotes unlockable characters, and green denotes DLC characters.

Reasoning:

- Ghirahim: It's clear that Sakurai has a few surprises left, and Ghirahim actually has a lot of evidence in his favor now. Skyward Sword is getting a major focus in this game, with a stage, trophies, and two items. Ghirahim has a lot to work with for a moveset, and he's pretty popular too, and that popular will get a surge thanks to his appearance in Hyrule Warriors.

- King K Rool: His reasons for being included have been explained many times, I'm just including him because he seems like a logical choice.

- Ridley: Again, I'm pretty sure everyone knows what Ridley has in his favor, so I don't think I need to explain. His "confirmation" as a boss just solidifies his likelihood in my opinion, because after the trailer I just saw directly poking fun at Chrom's fanbase, it's clear Sakurai knows what we're thinking and loves to throw us off.
- Captain Toad: It's possible the reason the regular Toad belongs to Peach is because Cap. Toad is actually going to be playable. He's sort of been teased in the advertising for that expo in Japan, with Captain Toad concluding his adventure thinking that he would like to be in Smash. I think if's in, though, it will be a DLC character since he is somewhat new.

- Ringside: I think that a Rhythm Heaven character/s is rather possible now, and I like the Ringside Duo the best. I don't know why I marked him as DLC, though. They aren't really a good DLC choice. So ignore that, perhaps. :bee:

Last edited:

Niala

Smash Ace
I can see megaman, pac-man, sonic, falco, wolf, wario, R.O.B., captain falcon, ness, and meta knight being unlockable I think one of the 3rd party characters will be a starter im thinking most likely sonic and jigglypuff will be a unlockable
NGL if this was the set of unloackable characters I just wouldn't unlock any

Louie G.

Smash Hero
What do you guys think of Dixie Kong and Dark Pit?

I think that Lucina's addition shows that maybe Sakurai wanted to beef up the roster a bit, a la Melee.
So these two are probably the best candidates for this.

Shroob

Sup?
I honestly hope Dixie isn't in on the off-chance they just slap her over Diddy's model. She has things that set her apart from Diddy like her ponytail letting her fly and the bubblegum.... Shooting peanuts would feel soo off with her.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Interesting how people took this reveal as reason to throw the floodgates wide open again. In reality, we're probably just going to get Shulk, some variation of Chorus Men, and a few clones as newcomers.

Since the leak Sakurai probably just changed his mind when it came to Chrom, switched him for Robin, and added a few clones at a later date like he always does. He could've possibly changed Chorus Men too, but probably only for something else in that series. Ofc it still could be Chorus Men as well, but tbh I don't see this as reason to expect a bunch of new original characters, as nice as that'd be.

I think that Lucina's addition shows that maybe Sakurai wanted to beef up the roster a bit, a la Melee.
Dixie Kong would be nice but KI really doesn't need a third character. It's only a series with three games anyway.

They'd both work though.

AncientTobacco

Smash Lord
Alright, I've got a new prediction roster. So satisfying that two characters I would get a ton of **** for including on a roster, especially at the same time, got confirmed back to back.
Here it is.

View attachment 18290

Purple denotes unlockable characters, and green denotes DLC characters.

Reasoning:

- Ghirahim: It's clear that Sakurai has a few surprises left, and Ghirahim actually has a lot of evidence in his favor now. Skyward Sword is getting a major focus in this game, with a stage, trophies, and two items. Ghirahim has a lot to work with for a moveset, and he's pretty popular too, and that popular will get a surge thanks to his appearance in Hyrule Warriors.

- King K Rool: His reasons for being included have been explained many times, I'm just including him because he seems like a logical choice.

- Ridley: Again, I'm pretty sure everyone knows what Ridley has in his favor, so I don't think I need to explain. His "confirmation" as a boss just solidifies his likelihood in my opinion, because after the trailer I just saw directly poking fun at Chrom's fanbase, it's clear Sakurai knows what we're thinking and loves to throw us off.
- Captain Toad: It's possible the reason the regular Toad belongs to Peach is because Cap. Toad is actually going to be playable. He's sort of been teased in the advertising for that expo in Japan, with Captain Toad concluding his adventure thinking that he would like to be in Smash. I think if's in, though, it will be a DLC character since he is somewhat new.

- Ringside: I think that a Rhythm Heaven character/s is rather possible now, and I like the Ringside Duo the best. I don't know why I marked him as DLC, though. Ignore that.
What's your reasoning for Snake?

Autumn ♫

I'm terrible with these Custom Titles.

As long as Dixie doesn't get in the way of K.Rool, I'm fine with her, and I already love the idea of Dark Pit, so I'm fine with both of them.

Shroob

Sup?
Interesting how people took this reveal as reason to throw the floodgates wide open again. In reality, we're probably just going to get Shulk, some variation of Chorus Men, and a few clones as newcomers.

Since the leak Sakurai probably just changed his mind when it came to Chrom, switched him for Robin, and added a few clones at a later date like he always does. He could've possibly changed Chorus Men too, but probably only for something else in that series. Ofc it still could be Chorus Men as well, but tbh I don't see this as reason to expect a bunch of new original characters, as nice as that'd be.

Dixie Kong would be nice but KI really doesn't need a third character. It's only a series with three games anyway.

They'd both work though.
One of the reasons I feel is that it broke the expectation of the '47 roster'. I mean, while we don't know the fate of every veteran, with the Sal leak, we had a good idea. Now that most people discredit the leak, all hell has broken loose.

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master

Well Lucina copy's all of Marth's moves, Dark Pit could also do this, but Dixie couldn't. Dixie would take more time to make, so I don't know about that. It also makes less sense, Dark Pit is a dark version of Pit, Lucina impersonates Marth, is a descendent of his and uses the same weapon, Dixie isn't connected to Diddy the same way the other two are to their counterparts.

Last edited:

Zyfoe

Smash Apprentice
Clones! Clones for everyone!

Mach Rider as a Captain Falcon clone!

Alexandra Roivas as a Robin clone!

Sami as a Snak-*gets neck breaker'd repeatedly*

TheNerdyOne_

Smash Ace
Anyone else thinking we might get one of the captains from Pikmin 3 as a clone? I personally think Charlie would be a good choice, he has the most potential to play differently.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
What's your reasoning for Snake?
Well, it's hard to say. Without Brawl, he is an absolutely random character choice. Hell, WITH Brawl, he's a random character choice. But, I am holding out for the guy, just because it would be perfect if Snake is a hidden character as his series is a stealth game, after all.

I think Dixie is pretty likely, honestly. I am debating putting her or Krool on my rosters, or both.
I don't want to go overboard with the characters, but I can't bring myself to cut anyone.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I think Dixie is going to play like a fusion of Donkey and Diddy.

I'm pretty sure que Cranky might get in as well. Mostly due to gameplay uniqueness (cane and barrels) and current popularity. Not to mention He's an elder, something we dont have yet. Other than grandpadorf. He also represents retro DK

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
One of the reasons I feel is that it broke the expectation of the '47 roster'. I mean, while we don't know the fate of every veteran, with the Sal leak, we had a good idea. Now that most people discredit the leak, all hell has broken loose.
The error comes in totally discrediting the leak. Yes, some of it was incorrect, but that's probably because it was quite outdated. We can't just forget how it accurately predicted every newcomer minus Rosalina up until yesterday. That's still nothing to just shrug off.

The main reason people are shirking the leak is because they don't want it to be true, they want more characters than it says we'll get, and we probably will get more, but there's a good chance they'll all be semi-clones or some variation of the two remaining original newcomers it claims we'll receive. Sakurai doesn't add plans for original characters later in development like he does semi-clones (excluding the Sonic situation), and I guess at some point he could swap one for another in the same series like Chrom for Robin, but it doesn't seem like he'll just create a new spot for an original character a fair way into development. It's not impossible, but I wouldn't say it's likely, especially for multiple original characters.

I think people are getting their hopes up, but in reality I expect we'll only receive smallish deviations from the leak, and probably another couple clones.

ElPanandero

Smash Lord
NNID
ElPanandero
Looking at these rosters, I'm seeing that Shulk looks too much like Robin. Disconfirmed. :troll:

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」

They'd both work though.
Excuse me for correcting, but leak or not, Sakurai can't just change characters willy-nilly. Assuming that Chrom was planned, Sakurai would have to had changed his mind last year around E3, correct? Why throw away years of work on Chrom just because he was leaked? Robin looks like he/she's been developed for more than a year.

Just because we get a new clone doesn't mean we'll get previously cut clones... I mean we didn't get Roy, we got Lucina. Who knows, instead of getting Doc, we might get Bowser Jr as a clone or something.

Though I'm not expecting that.
It seems quite possible that Jr. is a good choice for a last-minute addition but he's sort of not deserving in comparison to other characters that could also get the same treatment.

Although, this is PURELY subjective. I'm just basing this from the fact that I haven't seen him hang out with big ol' Bowser for quite a while in the main games. Or in Mario Kart (Probably DLC, maybe).

Really. I think I'm saying this because I think one clone is enough :|

I mean, I did say I was fine with 'em but.... It would be WAY better if we didn't get any clones for now

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
I think we're getting Wario, Meta Knight, Ice Climbers, and Ness before release at this point.
With Captain Falcon revealed I'm fairly positive we'll see Ness before release. MAYBE Jigglypuff.

As for newcomers, Shulk and Chorus Kids are likely pre-release reveals.
Characters like K. Rool and Ridley (and Mewtwo if he counts) could be kept secret, although they're great hype characters.
What's interesting is that this new reveal actually makes the possibility of a villain trailer a little more feasible. They revealed two newcomers and one completely unrelated veteran in one video, after all; who's to say they won't make a villainous trailer to show off just before the games come out? After all, those villain characters happen to be some of the best hype builders they could possibly reveal.

Actually, going off of the trailer, I think Dark Pit is probably de-confirmed at this point. If he really was a Pit clone with slight variations, I think they would have actually revealed him like they did with Lucina.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I think the most likely newcomers at this point are Shulk and Chorus Kids (I'm still convinced about their chances), a few extra clones (probably Dixie and Dark Pit; I know Dixie is quite a bit different than Diddy but she would still play similarly), and an additional secret character or two, such as K. Rool and Ridley.

@ N3ON N3ON
Kid Icarus doesn't need three characters, but Fire Emblem didn't need four either. I could easily see Sakurai throwing Dark Pit in there to beef up the roster.

And my confidence is slowly decreasing again, however I think we're getting at least one or two more characters aside from Gematsu and the clones.

mark welford

Smash Ace
most of what this gematsu leaked has been correct N3ON is right do not discredit it because of a missed character and a misprediction of a character

The only ones I'm expecting at this point is Shulk and Chorus Men (Not that I support them)

The rest? No clue. Suffering from mental crippling from that new trailer

Last edited:

Autumn ♫

While I never believed in the Gematsu in the first place (and the whole reason for that was Chrom :awesome:) if it did have some information, I can easily see the Chorus Men be either a background character/hazard or an Assist Trophy. I have a hard time imagining what they would really do if they were playable.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Excuse me for correcting, but leak or not, Sakurai can't just change characters willy-nilly. Assuming that Chrom was planned, Sakurai would have to had changed his mind last year around E3, correct? Why throw away years of work on Chrom just because he was leaked? Robin looks like he/she's been developed for more than a year.
He likely changed his mind earlier than that, the leak probably just had fairly outdated information. And no, if Sakurai changed characters because they were leaked, we wouldn't have gotten any of the ones we did in the past few months. He was likely changed for a reason we can only guess at, with my guess being Sakurai realized he didn't offer nearly as much to the game as Robin would in terms of diversity.

It seems quite possible that Jr. is a good choice for a last-minute addition but he's sort of not deserving in comparison to other characters that could also get the same treatment.

Although, this is PURELY subjective. I'm just basing this from the fact that I haven't seen him hang out with big ol' Bowser for quite a while in the main games. Or in Mario Kart (Probably DLC, maybe).
As of recently, yeah Bowser Jr has kinda taken a back seat, but overall he still has that importance and popularity that would make him a pretty logical semi-clone if Sakurai were so inclined. Just because his notable roles aren't super super recent doesn't mean he's less deserving, he's still shown up in several main Mario titles and countless spin-offs, plus had even more popularity than Rosalina before her reveal.

And he's still had notable roles post-Brawl, which is where Sakurai seems to be drawing pretty much all the characters from, excluding the third-parties. But yeah, it is only one possibility of many.

mark welford

Smash Ace
What's interesting is that this new reveal actually makes the possibility of a villain trailer a little more feasible. They revealed two newcomers and one completely unrelated veteran in one video, after all; who's to say they won't make a villainous trailer to show off just before the games come out? After all, those villain characters happen to be some of the best hype builders they could possibly reveal.

Actually, going off of the trailer, I think Dark Pit is probably de-confirmed at this point. If he really was a Pit clone with slight variations, I think they would have actually revealed him like they did with Lucina.
thank you someone agrees with me at the possibility of a villain trailer people love playable villains

Louie G.

Smash Hero
While I never believed in the Gematsu in the first place (and the whole reason for that was Chrom :awesome:) if it did have some information, I can easily see the Chorus Men be either a background character/hazard or an Assist Trophy. I have a hard time imagining what they would really do if they were playable.
*sigh*

If you can't imagine their playstyle visit the thread in my sig.
Lots of people have great ideas about their playstyle, including myself.

I highly doubt that Chorus Kids will be anything but playable.
I'm convinced that Chrom was planned at one point, but ultimately dropped for Robin.

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
I think Chorus Men is an interesting situation. On one hand, it seems they were planned to be made playable at some point, and the Rhythm Heaven enemy in Smash Run indicates that Rhythm Heaven, at the very least, has a presence in this game. On the other hand, we know that the information leaked by Gematsu is not a finalized roster; things could have changed in the development process. Chorus Men, being a trio of characters, seems like a concept that likely could present difficulties during development. It's possible that, like Chrom, they were scrapped mid-development, perhaps in favor of another Rhythm Heaven character, or none at all. That's just a possibility, though. Maybe they did survive what Chrom could not.

Or maybe the leaker just made that bit up. Seems like he lied about Shulk being revealed, at least.

Autumn ♫

*sigh*

If you can't imagine their playstyle visit the thread in my sig.
Lots of people have great ideas about their playstyle, including myself.

I highly doubt that Chorus Kids will be anything but playable.
I'm convinced that Chrom was planned at one point, but ultimately dropped for Robin.
It's not their playstyle that I have problems with. It's their lack of moveset potential. Unless Sakurai goes Captain Falcon on most of their attacks or impliments other Rhythm Heaven characters moves into them, of course.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
@ N3ON N3ON
Kid Icarus doesn't need three characters, but Fire Emblem didn't need four either. I could easily see Sakurai throwing Dark Pit in there to beef up the roster.
Well... what a series "needs" is pretty subjective anyway, but four FE characters isn't really that many. For one, the series has thirteen games, which is a fair amount, and for another, we were planning on getting Marth, Ike, and a Marth clone last time. Now we're just getting Marth, Ike, a Marth clone and another newcomer.

I could see Sakurai throwing Dark Pit in to beef up the roster as well, but I hope he doesn't... there are other series with potential for semi-clones who could use the beefing up more than a series with three games and an existing newcomer.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
We can say that Gematsu is still likely and all, but remember that we hardly EVER considered a RH character until the leak. Granted, the Sneaky Spirit has appeared, but we've no assurance that it points to a character. Not saying the CM aren't likely.. just perhaps a bit overrated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom