• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Character Competitive Impressions - Tourneys, Tiers, Theories, Tactics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Solfiner

*Those Who Stand Against Our Path*
NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
Really liked the emphasis they put on how important labbing can be. It's pretty much the only way you can take characters like Shulk to their fullest potential.

TurboLink

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4725-8278-5467
if what i'm hearing is correct, 64 has to end before we get to watch smash 4. it was predicted to end around 5:30, but i think it'll be later than that.
Is that because they'll be using the ShowdownSmash channel?

Sonicninja115

Experiment. Innovate. Improve.
"All top 8 players got an interview. Ranai said MARSS was out Of Control AND THE HARDest person hes fought.

He's worried about fighting marss again"

I'm excited. Top 8 should be starting any minute riiiight? Aaaaaany minute
where can I find said interview?

edit: The M2K/Big D set was 2-1, and all games except the one M2K won were really close. The one he won was 65% with both stocks left, and he sd'ed in the other games.

Last edited:

Noa.

Smash Master
Ok so here are the results for top 32. Top 8 hasn't been played yet.

Top 8 Winners:

Zero :4diddy::4sheik:

Ranai :4villager:

Dabuz :rosalina:

Fow :4ness:

Top 8 Losers:

Larry :4fox:

Void :4sheik:

Nairo :4zss:

Marss :4zss:

9th:

Ally :4mario:

Mr.R :4sheik:

Shaky :4ness:

Hyuga :4tlink:

13th:

6WX :4sonic:

Earth :4pit:

Esam :4pikachu:

Tyrant :4metaknight:

17th:

Ito :4metaknight:

Komorikiri :4sonic:

ONI Heero :4sonic:

Xzax :4fox:

Fatality :4falcon:

Slayer Z :4peach:

Trela :4ryu:

Cacogen :4sheik:

25th:

Trevonte :4sheik:

MrConCOn :4luigi:

Zinoto :4diddy:

Nakat :4pikachu::4fox:

DK Will :4dk::4sheik:

RIN :4wiifit:

Nietono :4diddy:

Rain :4sheik::4diddy:

I guess I'm not really sure on the secondaries of some of the other players but it's a starting point at least lol.

Here's the bracket:

https://smash.gg/tournament/genesis-3/brackets/10619/4410/17866/standings

Last edited:

Jams.

+15 Attack
NNID
DumberChild
I think this event has shown that one or two awful matchups doesn't impede character viability nearly as much in this game compared to previous Smash games. FOW was able to get to top 8 without playing a single (good) :rosalina:, and Dabuz was also able to avoid both :4metaknight: and :4zss: despite multiple high level players of these characters at this event.

One thing which really impresses me about Marss is that he never seems to get intimidated and always plays his own game. No matter who he's against, he never seems scared to throw out grabs or go for risky upbs.

Pazx

hoo hah
NNID
Pazx13
Ok so here are the results for top 32. Top 8 hasn't been played yet.

Top 8 Winners:

Zero :4diddy::4sheik:

Ranai :4villager:

Dabuz :rosalina:

Fow :4ness:

Top 8 Losers:

Larry :4fox:

Void :4sheik:

Nairo :4zss:

Marss :4zss:

9th:

Ally :4mario:

Mr.R :4sheik:

Shaky :4ness:

Hyuga :4tlink:

13th:

6WX :4sonic:

Earth :4pit:

Esam :4pikachu:

Tyrant :4metaknight:

17th:

Ito :4metaknight:

Komorikiri :4sonic:

ONI Heero :4sonic:

Xzax :4fox:

Fatality :4falcon:

Slayer Z :4peach:

Trela :4ryu:

Cacogen :4sheik:

25th:

Trevonte :4sheik:

MrConCOn :4luigi:

Zinoto :4diddy:

Nakat :4pikachu::4fox:

DK Will :4dk::4sheik:

RIN :4wiifit:

Nietono :4sheik:

Rain :4sheik::4diddy:

I guess I'm not really sure on the secondaries of some of the other players but it's a starting point at least lol.

Here's the bracket:

https://smash.gg/tournament/genesis-3/brackets/10619/4410/17866/standings
Nietono is a Diddy main (no Sheik), Komorikiri used a lot of Cloud (Rain pulled him out as well, didn't see the Rain Diddy though and haven't in a long time), Nairo lost 2 games with Doc, Larry in particular has a handful of secondaries (already used Sheik and DK), Zinoto's Meta Knight has a 100% winning record at Genesis 3. Otherwise this seems pretty accurate to me.

I'm excited, 64 is ending now, this has been an excellent tournament so far. Mexico and New England are on the map, Ness has shown he's still relevant, the tournament has been so stacked that a lot of the upsets are hardly even disappointing. Top 8 to start soon.

http://www.twitch.tv/showdownsmash

Last edited:

Y2Kay

BLACK MAMBA FOREVER
NNID
Why2Kay
I probably said this already, but I pray that we can have more tournaments like this. I'd love for Japan and Mexico especially to come to another major in america again.

:150:

TurboLink

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4725-8278-5467
I like how Void used down tilt instead of going off the stage a lot.

Last edited:

Jamurai

Victory is my destiny
NNID
Jamurai92
RIP my prediction already rofl

VoiD makes me see why Sheik is indisputably #1, her combos and edgeguarding are out of this world.

Wintermelon43

Smash Champion
User was warned for this post
Now that Marrs is out, we need to fight with Mars over who gets Mercuery and who gets Venus

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
I keep thinking Marss is going to pull a Brawl ZeRo but he's always just that game or read off.

It's a shame, but good stuff anyway.

ZeRo vs Dabuz next... hectic!

Last edited:

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
I'm so sad that he went for the greedy UpB kill, after just that game he had killed Nairo for getting greedy with the same exact thing. :(
Oh well, he's proven why New England's serious business.
RIP my prediction already rofl

VoiD makes me see why Sheik is indisputably #1, her combos and edgeguarding are out of this world.
Just seeing that it was going to be a top Fox vs a top Sheik, I thought it was pretty obvious who was gonna win. Larry actually did better than I expected.

Last edited:

wedl!!

Goddess of Storms
NNID
Plushies4Ever
Whether or not Sheik will dominate as hard as normal depends on what's going to be done to combat her dominant ledge game.

The main reason that Dabuz lost that set is because he got glued to the ledge and didn't have a means to get back to stage.

Zelder

Smash Journeyman
@Everyone
Esam actually went solo Yoshi vs Teb
TA Teb vs PG Esam -FULL SET-
https://youtu.be/Z1ZM1DkGTRs
I don't know if you watched that video, he actually went Yoshi first, lost as Yoshi, then went Pikachu, and won one game then lost the 3rd round.

Edit: which i think is pretty conclusive that the Mario-Pikachu matchup is 6-4 if the best pikachu is afraid to go Pikachu against a strong Mario main.

Last edited:

L9999

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3780-9480-2428
I don't know if you watched that video, he actually went Yoshi first, lost as Yoshi, then went Pikachu, and won one game then lost the 3rd round.

Edit: which i think is pretty conclusive that the Mario-Pikachu matchup is 6-4 if the best pikachu is afraid to go Pikachu against a strong Mario main.
What about NAKAT and that Z guy? Have they played Pika against Mario and lost badly?

Flux0r

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Flux0r
Despite Ness's amazing traits, he is so frail off-stage. My body goes numb each time FOW tries something ballsy offstage.

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800
Ness vs. Villager didn't look lopsided at all, to be honest. Based on that set.

Last edited:

hypersonicJD

Smash Journeyman
NNID
I don't have
3DS FC
2122-7467-7267
That misspaced recovery destroyed my heart... He was doing so great :(

Solfiner

*Those Who Stand Against Our Path*
NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
Damn, FOW is playing out of his mind today. But Ranai is Ranai so can't say the result was unexpected. Honestly hard to tell how the match-up looks though.

Funen1

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Funen1
Pockets aside, those two SDs were unfortunate too. FOW at least had the right idea with that last one, but recovering with PKT2 at that kind of angle is legitimately hard. I agree, the match didn't feel totally lopsided, even after Ranai made the obvious adjustments and took all that control in Game 2 onward.

AnEventHorizon

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Aneventhorizon
The games still seemed fairly close. For all many said about Ness' recovery eventually being the end of him, FOWs manipulation of his double jump and ability to recover high definitely give hope (Recovering high with Ness seems less dangerous than many other's high recoveries since no one wants to fight PK Thunder Rocket without a stage ledge to tech against.)

Though it's not the same matchup, I often hear about how Ness vs. Rosalina might not be so bad because even if Ness is at a large disadvantage offstage, Ness can put in incredible work on stage. Different matchup, but it looked like similar things to that idea happened in the FOW vs Ranai match.

Sad to see no Falco, but he was doing well with Ness regardless.

Last edited:

Patriot Duck

Smash Apprentice
Ranai really stole Fow's thunder. He did put up a good fight though. I wonder how it would have went if he picked Falco instead.

Last edited:

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800
Nairo's going to lose, calling it. Dabuz has improved too much in the last few months.

FlynnCL

Smash Journeyman
Can Rosalina get legitimate grab release follow-ups with a properly placed Luma? That was incredible by Dabuz.

hypersonicJD

Smash Journeyman
NNID
I don't have
3DS FC
2122-7467-7267
OH MY GOD WHAT!?

Dabuz... Just 3-0 Nairo... What happened with him? He was missing too many up air to Up B.

A10theHero

SSJ Fraud
NNID
A10theHero
TA Teb vs PG Esam -FULL SET-
https://youtu.be/Z1ZM1DkGTRs
That third match made me sad. Especially after ESAM did really well during the second match.
People have said that the shieldstun patch helped make Pikachu's moves safer but there's one that actually was worse off: Down Smash. Before, if someone shielded, there was a chance the final hits could still get them. But after that patch, all the hits can be shielded and the huge endlag on that move allows for some big punishes.
Also ESAM messed up on his up throw to Thunder while on the platforms. :ohwell:
And you know it's ESAM when he goes for those yolo up smashes, lol.
Overall, in my opinion, the Mario matchup is probably Pikachu's worst one.

Last edited:

De Wolfe

Smash Cadet
The Ness vs Villager matchup isnt an auto win because of pocket. Its not comparable to gravity pull as the activity frames and radius for absorption is alot more precise and you only get one chance to do it. Gravity pull on the other hand has a massive radius and IIRC has multiple rotations each time you use it.

On stage neutral game wise Ness has everything he needs to contend with villager. Mobility, projectile durability, damage/combos, good punishes and back throw factor.

Last edited:

Planty

Smash Ace
NNID
something
Rosalina does have grab release stuff against characters like Mario Bros, Wario, MK, the pink puffballs, PK kids, etc.

It doesn't work on ZSS, Sheik, and other bigger characters unless she grabs them while they're in the air.
FlynnCL FlynnCL

Last edited:

Deadlybroth

Smash Cadet
NNID
Rngo1214
3DS FC
3265-5101-5866

Oh whoops lol
I was going off of the fb comments on that video
This is what happens when you don't use credible sources

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom