• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Character Competitive Impressions - Tourneys, Tiers, Theories, Tactics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
I noticed Emblemlord (mainly online smasher, big on anthers) took out Seagull Joe. That shocked me.

Also, this tournament is really showing more power to ZSS with Nairo, Marss, and ADHD
hahaha.

You show your age young man.

I play mostly online due to real life stuff. (two jobs)

but i did not get my start online nor did I start with smash 4.

Side note: Happy people are seeing how crazy the chozo huntress is. Maybe now people will stop saying crazy stuff like average neutral game.

Last edited:

Zannabluke

Smash Apprentice
uhuhuhuh, pac and doc? i'm pleasantly surprised.
now, i wanna ask you this: is doc a really good secondary for pac-man?
discussss

TTTTTsd

Gordeau Main Paint Drinker
NNID
InverseTangent
hahaha.

You show your age young man.

I play mostly online due to real life stuff. (two jobs)

but i did not get my start online nor did I start with smash 4.

Side note: Happy people are seeing how crazy the chozo huntress is. Maybe now people will stop saying crazy stuff like average neutral game.
ZSS is gonna get hella nerfed if we keep this up LOL. I've never considered her neutral average, it's really good, it's just hard against short characters, hardly a downfall considering only one of those short characters is really relevant, but it does keep her in check as far as I'm concerned. That being said, I expect adjustments, not cause I want them, but I know how this game works with patches, and it tends to happen. We'll see though.

Anyways Zannabluke Zannabluke to continue your discussion tangent, I think Doc and the Marios are good secondaries for a lot of characters. The reason I say this is because they have decent MU spreads in the case of Mario and Luigi, in Doc's case he kills fastfallers really good and has a great air to ground shorthop game (which helps against Falcon). Killing Fox off a grab at like 80 is super awesome. He's good against PK Kids too since they can't inhibit your pills.

The reason all three of the Marios are good secondaries on an efficient level as well is...well, they're all simple characters, really. Luigi is the easiest and the hardest is Doc by a slim margin because he has to play neutral a bit smarter than Mario and you have to throw in some more genuine recovery mixups than usual, but he kills fastfallers so hard that it's usually worth it when you pick him in the right matchup. They're all fairly strong secondary characters because of their simplicity, really.

Last edited:

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Caution: Ffamran Ffamran tier wall o' text ahead!! :p

To an extent, I do think the roster is quite fixated on individual mechanics or unique trait.
And I think that's what the dev's are trying to remedy in the form of patches. We've already seen countless changes to characters who's gimmicks were too polarizing (Diddy, luigi, rosa...), the pattern is there.
But is it a potential weakness...I would say that it depends on both the strength of the trait and the weakness of the other attributes of the characer. Luigi has awful mobility and terrible traction, but his reward was SO POWERFUL that it almost didn't matter. Pre patch Diddy was another example of a character who revolved around one powerful tool, but what made him stupid was the fact that the rest of his moveset wasn't weak enough to compensate. Even with his pre patch dash attack and jab, his moveset was oppressive all around. I see no problem with having an aspect that makes a characer unique however, it's fun to have diversity in the roster.

Funny you mentioned pacman because I was just thinking about something related to the topic at hand. Is pacman overly reliant on fruit/hydrant zoning? I think so, but only if he continues to be played the way Abadango and many others did/do currently.

He isn't being played to his strengths because well...Pac-Man is not a zoner. In fact, he's terrible at zoning and more people will realize this as time goes along.

Now before many of you unsheathe your keyboards and angrily explain how I am wrong, I want to explain why he isn't the characer we initially thought he was.

Unfortunately, many of us Pac-Mains have adopted a game of "set up a fortress and run" as a primary focus in nuetral. This goes against the natural strengths of the character. Pacman isn't a real zoner because fruit and hydrants aren't built for keeping people out. Fruit come out on frame 12, have an FAF of 45, 5 of them bounce off of shields which allow opponents to easily catch them, and they lose to most attacks when thrown. You can't dream of zoning an opponent out with data like this. Same with hydrant. Loses to any attack when launched, can be sent back to us by the opponent, and fast characters can straight up quantum tunnel right through it (man that is a dumb mechanic).
All of these flaws lead many pacman mains to lean heavily on gimmicky, complex, and all around situational setups to keep the opponent out. It became the bulk of our gameplan. It sort of covers up the flaws of his individual "camp tools".

But we've neglected our normals, our z drop game, our offensive game...we've put too much into one inefficient gameplan.
The way I see our fruit and hydrant tools is the same way I view spin dash. Spin dash is also misinterpreted as sonic's only gimmick. The famous "Spin2Win" strategy of FG newbies.

In reality, spin dash is a weak move when used this way. It loses to most attacks, can be punished by OoS aerials, disjoints give it hell...sound familiar? For sonic, spin dash is only meant to compliment his game play. It forces you to keep guessing sonic's next move and punishes you heavily for overextending and guessing wrong. Pac-Man's tools are the same way, but complement a different style of play.

It isn't zoning, it isn't rush down, it isn't bait and punish or hit and run... I don't know what it is called but he continuously forces you into trap situations with his tools that allow him to transition into a heavily damaging offensive game. An example of this can be how the trampoline is downright broken when used to limit options on the ledge, but rather weak when used against a rush down characer to slow down an approach in nuetral. We should have a free combo on the opponent when ever the trampoline launches them into the air instead of simply waiting on the other side and b-airing them back to the other side.

His normals are further proof of this. He was given average moves all around because his traps + better normals would have been too oppressive. His grab is trash because his z drop fruit pressure already handles it. Oh...and for some reason, fruit are indestructible when z dropped.

A better analogy for those of you that have played yugioh is that Pac-Man is like an Aggro/stun deck (my favorite type!)
Using stun as a means to limit all of your opponent's options so you can relentlessly beat them down. People are currently focusing too heavily on the stun aspect.
Pac is Monarch Control :)

TTTTTsd

NNID
InverseTangent
Also on the tangent of Dr. Mario (boy I sure do love this character), here's a neat party trick you can do on Smashville that I don't see documented or used that much.

You can fullhop Fair and sweetspot it through the platform but Doc will not actually land on the Smashville platform, allowing you to FF Autocancel it right after, so you can use it to whack shields and/or kill someone while they're off guard. This also benefits from Smashville's very low ceiling!

Also I'm very interested in seeing Koolaid's Doc as well. I remember seeing it in its basic form a long time ago, but he placed pretty well at KTar, I'd like to see it in CURRENT form, heh.

Last edited:

TTTTTsd

NNID
InverseTangent
I know he brought it out to beat Dugan's Fox. 2-0 if I'm not mistaken.
Yup, just checked the VODs, he certainly did.

He did the basic Doc thing that you do. Play him vs. a fastfaller that isn't ZSS and have fun! I'm just gonna assume it was cause Fox vs. Pacman would've been annoying and he'd much rather cut to the chase and pick Doc to circumvent it.

Sonicninja115

Experiment. Innovate. Improve.
Did anyone see 2GGT? ZeRo won the Falcon round robins, and a Yoshi took a lot of people's numbers.

Also, Xzax had the cleanest set ever against Fatality.

A Ludwig called Vice Grip got 7th I believe.

Trifroze

all is cheese, all is jank
NNID
Trifroze
Pretty sure people were unanimously rating her neutral 4/5 several months ago. When people say her neutral is average, it's likely within the context of a high tier character.

Last edited:

C0rvus

Pro Hands Catcher
Her neutral isn't super dominant like Sheik, but her reward is incredibly skewed. Wouldn't be surprised to see both ZSS and Ryu gets tweaks in the next patch. Can't say I would mind, either.

Skeeter Mania

Smash Ace
NNID
Ampharos2935
Her neutral isn't super dominant like Sheik, but her reward is incredibly skewed. Wouldn't be surprised to see both ZSS and Ryu gets tweaks in the next patch. Can't say I would mind, either.
Isn't there such a thing known as adapting? That's what people had to do with Melee spacies and several Brawl top tiers (especially MK and ICs).

Not saying they don't need tweaks, but let's not go too far.

Last edited:

Seagull Joe

Smash Legend
NNID
SeagullJoe
ZSS is gonna get hella nerfed if we keep this up LOL. I've never considered her neutral average, it's really good, it's just hard against short characters, hardly a downfall considering only one of those short characters is really relevant, but it does keep her in check as far as I'm concerned. That being said, I expect adjustments, not cause I want them, but I know how this game works with patches, and it tends to happen. We'll see though.

Anyways Zannabluke Zannabluke to continue your discussion tangent, I think Doc and the Marios are good secondaries for a lot of characters. The reason I say this is because they have decent MU spreads in the case of Mario and Luigi, in Doc's case he kills fastfallers really good and has a great air to ground shorthop game (which helps against Falcon). Killing Fox off a grab at like 80 is super awesome. He's good against PK Kids too since they can't inhibit your pills.

The reason all three of the Marios are good secondaries on an efficient level as well is...well, they're all simple characters, really. Luigi is the easiest and the hardest is Doc by a slim margin because he has to play neutral a bit smarter than Mario and you have to throw in some more genuine recovery mixups than usual, but he kills fastfallers so hard that it's usually worth it when you pick him in the right matchup. They're all fairly strong secondary characters because of their simplicity, really.
How does :4drmario: kill :4fox: at 80? Is that when Dthrow > Fair works? Interested.
I missed the event & i see Koolaid 4th with Pac & Doc.
When did he use Doc?
Against Dugan, Nakat, and Tweek.
:018:

Last edited:

Trifroze

NNID
Trifroze
When it comes to ZSS at least, there's a fine line between an "incredibly skewed reward" and the opponent killing themselves with their own DI.

FallofBrawl

Smash Ace
What is your guys opinions on Ike vs Fox, I feel like Fox's speed can get into Ike's hurtbox before a his hitboxes comes out, but Ike's upthrow kill confirms lasts beyond kill percents on fast fallers. Probably in Fox's favour.

Seagull Joe

Smash Legend
NNID
SeagullJoe
When it comes to ZSS at least, there's a fine line between an "incredibly skewed reward" and the opponent killing themselves with their own DI.
What do you do about Nair> Down b? Uair>Uair>Up b at the top of the screen? Pray...?

The reward for :4zss: is absurdly high for little risk most of the time. I wish her ability to get back on stage wasn't so easy and her recovery was somewhat hittable. The only two characters I've ever wanted nerfed were her and :4luigi:. The rest of the characters at least are reasonable in what they do (Other then pre-patch :4diddy: and some 3DS iterations of chars).

Last edited:

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
Speaking of ZSS's recovery, under what conditions does she get back aerial Flip Kick? When she's hit? When she lands? When she grabs the ledge?

Same question for Bouncing Fish, actually.

TTTTTsd

NNID
InverseTangent
How does :4drmario: kill :4fox: at 80? Is that when Dthrow > Fair works? Interested.

Against Dugan, Nakat, and Tweek.
D-Throw > Fair works on Fox at...70% to 101% with no rage, usually kills at around 80-90% on low ceiling assuming their DI isn't PERFECT. It's not airdodgable, all you have to do is D-throw and follow their DI (which is usually outwards because nobody smart is going to DI in vs. Dr. Mario cause that's a silly idea and USmash would love to meet them if they're gonna try and land next to him, but hey, they could mix it up). Nairo landed it against Esam's Pika constantly, it's a true combo on the right weights. It doesn't work on semi-floaties or floaties, but fastfallers get true combo'd by D-Throw > Fair. If you're interested in ALL of the fastfaller %s I can drop them here, but that's Fox's range. The other reason D-Throw > Fair is amazing is because you'll NEVER stale Fair even unless you make a hard read prior, meaning you'll always net the freshness bonus which makes it do a scary 17% damage, and when you look at its knockback values....yeah, it's impressive.

It's legitimately one of the reasons he's competitive vs. most fastfallers.

Last edited:

Skeeter Mania

Smash Ace
NNID
Ampharos2935
D-Throw > Fair works on Fox at...70% to 101% with no rage, usually kills at around 80-90% on low ceiling assuming their DI isn't PERFECT. It's not airdodgable, all you have to do is D-throw and follow their DI (which is usually out because nobody smart is going to DI in vs. Dr. Mario cause that's a silly idea and USmash would love to meet them). Nairo landed it against Esam's Pika constantly, it's a true combo on the right weights. It doesn't work on semi-floaties or floaties, but fastfallers get true combo'd by D-Throw > Fair. If you're interested in ALL of the fastfaller %s I can drop them here, but that's Fox's range. The other reason D-Throw > Fair is amazing is because you'll NEVER stale Fair even unless you make a hard read prior, meaning you'll always net the freshness bonus which makes it do a scary 17% damage, and when you look at its knockback values....yeah, it's impressive.

I'm curious, who do you think both Mario characters share a bad MU with? On top of that, is there a MU you think one or the other could cover for the other?

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
What is your guys opinions on Ike vs Fox, I feel like Fox's speed can get into Ike's hurtbox before a his hitboxes comes out, but Ike's upthrow kill confirms lasts beyond kill percents on fast fallers. Probably in Fox's favour.
Ike loses solidly, but it's far from his worst MU nowadays. Recent patches have made Ike's jab much more viable while making Fox's less threatening.

TTTTTsd

NNID
InverseTangent
I'm curious, who do you think both Mario characters share a bad MU with? On top of that, is there a MU you think one or the other could cover for the other?
Both are pretty bad vs. Rosa (Doc is worse in this regard but neither enjoy it.)

As for coverage? Do note I'm only going to list matchups where the character choice is super significant + relevant chars.Doc > Mario for Fox, Falcon, Luigi, MAYBE Ness and Lucas, and to circumvent the Mario ditto as IMO Doc wins that. Mario > Doc for ZSS, Donkey Kong, Sonic, and probably one more I'm forgetting.

Pika is debatable but I think both work in that MU, Mario might be a bit better.

Last edited:

Skeeter Mania

Smash Ace
NNID
Ampharos2935
Both are pretty bad vs. Rosa (Doc is worse in this regard but neither enjoy it.)

As for coverage? Do note I'm only going to list matchups where the character choice is super significant + relevant chars.Doc > Mario for Fox, Falcon, Luigi, MAYBE Ness and Lucas, and to circumvent the Mario ditto as IMO Doc wins that. Mario > Doc for ZSS, Donkey Kong, Sonic, and probably one more I'm forgetting.

Pika is debatable but I think both work in that MU, Mario might be a bit better.
What about Ryu? Care to share your input with the Marios?

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
I just remembered something: wasn't the Doc also good against fast fallers in Melee? Different reasons probably, but funny how it's still his shtick.

Trifroze

NNID
Trifroze
What do you do about Nair> Down b? Uair>Uair>Up b at the top of the screen? Pray...?

The reward for :4zss: is absurdly high for little risk most of the time. I wish her ability to get back on stage wasn't so easy and her recovery was somewhat hittable. The only two characters I've ever wanted nerfed were her and :4luigi:. The rest of the characters at least are reasonable in what they do (Other then pre-patch :4diddy: and some 3DS iterations of chars).

Nair -> flip kick can be avoided by DI'ing the nair up. If ZSS wants to meteor you with flip kick she has to jump first to get the appropriate spacing, but it extends the action enough that you can airdodge the flip kick by the time she makes it to you.

As for 2x uair to boost kick, never DI towards low platforms at 10-25% or high platforms at around 25-40%, and if you get grabbed near the ledge always DI towards the stage through the entire combo, except down after boost kick finisher. At the percents where the combo works it won't kill you, and at the percents where it would kill you you can escape by holding up during the entire boost kick. With all this in mind, the times when you can't avoid dying to this are extremely rare at very narrow percent ranges on characters like DK, ROB and Falcon, but even in those situations they make it out most of the time.

If you get grabbed at the very ledge on SV or T&C which have smaller side blast zones / ceiling respectively, you can just DI all the way towards the side blastzone through the entire combo. If ZSS wants to finish you off, she can't recover back to the stage, and might not even connect with boost kick properly, only killing herself. Most ZSS players won't go for it.

The only thing you can't do anything about is high rage boost kick killing you off the top which is stupid, but at least if ZSS whiffs a grab at the percents where it's a thing, she's dead instead.

Last edited:

MysteriousSilver

Smash Ace
I know it wouldn't change much, but it would give sort of a safety net? - can't think of the word or phrase -, so that if you use the move and it lands, it's guaranteed unless you perfect shield it. Even with more flexible movement options in Smash, unblockables and slower moves in Soul Calibur and Tekken probably aren't used outside of reads and basically bluffs since you can cancel some of them or chance that your opponent mistimes and runs into a powerful attack.
I dunno, pre-patch Astaroth Canyon Creation (44 [ B ]) had some great utility, and I sometimes use Leixia 4B+K if I get a knock down in the corner

Oh, right, Smash bros.

Uh

Does anyone else think that Sonic's effectiveness would drop considerably if we had more options for small stages where he doesn't have a lot of space to run around?

Last edited:

Skeeter Mania

Smash Ace
NNID
Ampharos2935
Ryu's Range and ability to absorb Mario's best KO moves prevent Mario from winning the Ryu MU. It's certainly doable, wouldn't say it's in the realm of unwinnably bad, but I think it's in Ryu's favor somewhat.
I wonder how you feel about others saying Mario wins it?

On top of that, how do you feel about Mario often being considered a Top 5 character? In terms of his overall results, I can see that.

Last edited:

Seagull Joe

Smash Legend
NNID
SeagullJoe
D-Throw > Fair works on Fox at...70% to 101% with no rage, usually kills at around 80-90% on low ceiling assuming their DI isn't PERFECT. It's not airdodgable, all you have to do is D-throw and follow their DI (which is usually outwards because nobody smart is going to DI in vs. Dr. Mario cause that's a silly idea and USmash would love to meet them if they're gonna try and land next to him, but hey, they could mix it up). Nairo landed it against Esam's Pika constantly, it's a true combo on the right weights. It doesn't work on semi-floaties or floaties, but fastfallers get true combo'd by D-Throw > Fair. If you're interested in ALL of the fastfaller %s I can drop them here, but that's Fox's range. The other reason D-Throw > Fair is amazing is because you'll NEVER stale Fair even unless you make a hard read prior, meaning you'll always net the freshness bonus which makes it do a scary 17% damage, and when you look at its knockback values....yeah, it's impressive.

Do you have a link to specific percents on all characters (A chart)? I'm looking into picking up :4drmario: for some matchups like :4pacman: and :4fox: (Some of :4sonic:'s more annoying matchups). I dislike using :4mario:. He's so cookie cutter and boring.

Last edited:

TTTTTsd

NNID
InverseTangent
Do you have a link to specific percents on all characters (A chart)? I'm looking into picking up :4drmario: for some matchups like :4pacman: and :4fox: (Some of :4sonic:'s more annoying matchups). I dislike using :4mario:. He's so cookie cutter and boring.

All characters it works on (I pulled this from a vid, you can remove the floaties like Marth and such and just account for fastfallers, just subtract floaties from this and you're golden. Semi-floaties and floaties have to Airdodge to get away, they can't jump/throw an aerial IIRC)
Diddy = 93% to 109%
Little Mac = 78% to 113%
Link = 100% to 112%
Sheik = 80% to 98%
ZSS = 70% to 115%
Marth = 83% to 110%
Robin = 95% to 105%
Duck Hunt = 95% to 110%
Meta Knight = 70% to 95%
Fox = 70% to 101%
Falco = 80% to 102%
Pikachu = 68% to 89%
Lucario = 107% to 117%
R.O.B. = 121% to 125%
Captain Falcon = 110% to 133%
Olimar = 70% to 86%
Lucina = 83% to 110%
MegaMan = 108% to 128%
Mewtwo = 60% to 84%
Roy = 105% to 145%
Ryu = 109%

Last edited:

hey_there

Smash Journeyman

https://youtu.be/Z63tK5Mlqds?t=62 This video does a good job of explaining how to land dthrow -> fair consistently (as well as other Doc things). He recommends memorizing the positioning to land it instead of %s.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom