• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Character Competitive Impressions - Tourneys, Tiers, Theories, Tactics

Status
Not open for further replies.

MF Viewtiful

Son MF
Switch FC
SW 4028 6305 8614
Anybody know if Trela is still in winners or what? 9B got sent to loser's by Angel.

edit: ninja'd

Last edited:

Mario766

Smash Lord
NNID
M2K didn't play like he did game 1 game 3. Dabuz learned how to handle things and M2K went for big risks, didn't get the reward at all.

Sonicninja115

Experiment. Innovate. Improve.
Mew2king is definitely going to rise in the ranks of sm4sh this year tho. He almost took out Dabuz with Cloud... Super close set, even the last game was pretty close.

MF Viewtiful

Son MF
Switch FC
SW 4028 6305 8614
Cloud does seem to be the "lazy" man's character. Good fundamentals on their own go further with him than most. Cloud still probably a good amount of nuance but the rise of Cloud happened way faster than Ryu.

Sonicninja115

Cloud does seem to be the "lazy" man's character. Good fundamentals on their own go further with him than most. Cloud still probably a good amount of nuance but the rise of Cloud happened way faster than Ryu.
cloud has amazing kill moves that require a rather technical combo or read. M2K has been playing smash for 14+ years and is one of the most technical players. with his reads and tech skill, as well as other fundamentals, Cloud seems to fit him perfectly.

C0rvus

Pro Hands Catcher
doesnt :4gaw: have really low jumps? i recall that his full hops were roughly the same as most characters short hops.
Not only is it super low, but he can short hop air dodge. Between that and his really fast dash cooldown, his movement is pretty solid.

What are the matchups that Game and Watch does well in? tbh I've been having a lot of fun playing this character, but what relevance does he have?

wedl!!

Goddess of Storms
NNID
Plushies4Ever
Speaking of Diddy/Peach Umeki is about to play Zero on stream.

RIP.

Last edited:

Mario766

Smash Lord
NNID
Is it just me or does EVERY Japanese player know how to live to stupid percents now.

Umeki is showing up, even in this MU.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Smash is a lot like Marvel in that it's supposed to be an American game. I guess one can compare Smash to baseball in terms of popularity. Street Fighter is soccer in comparison. Marvel until recently was American football.
Speaking *somewhat* of Marvel, is Injustice even competitive anymore? MvC3 and Smash have been going on for years(people getting hyped over a Mario vs Sonic or Spider-Man and Ryu)...but nothing about a Batman V Superman.
Nice performance by the wall against Nairo. Yoshi easily has all the tools necessary to be a top 10 character, glad there's a player that's actually tapping into that potential.

"Japanese Peach" is kinda good though. Like, disgustingly good. He's to Smash 4 what Kie was to Brawl.

Also worth noting that FL as a whole has not being doing very hot this whole tournament so far. Neither in crews [eliminated in R1], nor in doubles [none of their teams left in winners bracket of R2 pools I think] or singles [Nick and Ryo both already in losers of R2 pools].

Edit: I don't think Ryo has a good shot at top 32 anymore and Ryuga has to play Larry in round 1 of his pool so its gonna be very tough for him. But even then, at a tournament of this caliber two placings within ~top 50 would be a solid achievement. Would pretty much confirm Ike's position in high mid tier in my book.

:059:
Ryo could get lucky and make it into top 32

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
You don't get to bank on luck in a tourney like that though.

Well to be fair, that first game was very close.
The first kill was gimmicky and in the fickle 2-stock metagame made more of a difference than it should have [imo]. Game 2 showed how the matchup really goes.

Last edited:
NNID
User7a1
6WX 2-1 over Rain. Close ending.
Hyuga possibly 2-0'ing Nairo.

Last edited:

MF Viewtiful

Son MF
Switch FC
SW 4028 6305 8614
Speaking *somewhat* of Marvel, is Injustice even competitive anymore? MvC3 and Smash have been going on for years(people getting hyped over a Mario vs Sonic or Spider-Man and Ryu)...but nothing about a Batman V Superman.

Ryo could get lucky and make it into top 32
Injustice is deader than dead and has been since MKX. The wonderful folks at NRS then continued the bad practice of adjusting and "normalizing" the game at a too-often pace that scared everyone expected the most die-hard dragoon tattoos havers and other devoted NRS players.

As you may tell, I don't have the highest opinion of NRS games lol.

Solfiner

*Those Who Stand Against Our Path*
NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
Genesis is already completely bonkers, I love it.

Already a bunch of mid tier rep.

Sonicninja115

Sooo.... Hyuga... This is getting really interesting really fast!

What is the TL/ZSS MU? I feel like it should be in ZSS favor, but after that set I don't know.

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800
Hyuga's Toon Link is on point. I've never seen Nairo have that much trouble before.

ARISTOS

Smash Ace
The first kill was gimmicky and in the fickle 2-stock metagame made more of a difference than it should have [imo]. Game 2 showed how the matchup really goes.

Yup.

Diddy gets to entirely control neutral and can slowly chip away at Peach, and her lack of confirms mean you have to wait for a read/ trap Diddy (this will not actually happen).

Nairo hasn't looked good at all this tourney.

HeavyLobster

Smash Champion
NNID
HeavyLobster43
He's got advanced/technical stuff, but he's also pretty easy to pick up and play with good fundamentals. He's likely a long way from being optimized, which is why his swift rise is so scary.

Y2Kay

BLACK MAMBA FOREVER
NNID
Why2Kay
Is this a dream or something? Nairo can't even make it out pools? What's going on?!

This tournament is super wonderful. I hopes its not the last of its kind....

:150:

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
This is fantastic. Not that I'm personally happy about Nairo losing but I'm enjoying what's going on right now. TL beating ZSS. Hyuga beating Nairo. Mexico beating USA. So many things that challenge our way we've been looking at this game up until now - regarding matchups, the strengths of various regions, the americentrism of the competitive community and many other things.

Can't wait what else we get to see at this tournament!

6WX 2-1 over Rain. Close ending.
Did Rain go Sheik or Cloud?

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Mexico with a really strong showing and they don't even have their best player.

Leo ain't here and he's still looking good lol.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Injustice is deader than dead
I don't think the sequel will be competitive if the Injustice scene is dearer than Crash Bandicoot l's career.
Is this a dream or something? Nairo can't even make it out pools? What's going on?!

This tournament is super wonderful. I hopes its not the last of its kind....

:150:
With more Pit play(and more underrated characters in the US)

MF Viewtiful

Son MF
Switch FC
SW 4028 6305 8614
Mexico has always been strong in fighting games. NEVER FORGET EVO 2012 KOF FINALS!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom