• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Chaingrabbing Captain Falcon

JFox

Smash Hero
Falcon-
20-40

Fox's changrab on Falcon is the most complicated. At 0-20 you can CG him only if he doesn't DI. After 20% you can CG him even if he does DI. After 40%, if the opponent stops DI'ing, he will be able to jump out before the regrab. If he doesn't stop DI'ing, he can jump out at 60% before the regrab.

Utilt with no DI can combo until 80%.
Usmash can combo until ~50% if the opponent doesn't DI.
Usmash can combo until 70% if the opponent full DIs.

*In addition you can do uthrow shine regrab on C. Falcon from like 0-45% if the opponent ever neglects to DI at low percents.

Edit: I wanna revive this topic because it was made ages ago, and I feel like it has some pretty good info. When I used to main fox, I always used CG's. I personally think the uthrow shine regrab at low percents is something useful that I never see a fox using. Lemme know what u think

tarheeljks

Smash Lord
i was actually wondering the same thing. i have cg'ed him, but i don't think i've gotten more than 3 throws off. i'm not sure about the %'s but i want to say it starts very low (maybe even zero) and goes to around 35 or 40%. (this is merely speculation)

~Tac~

One day at a time.
NNID
Kamidachi
Switch FC
SW-6745-2861-2990
Never will I be called a good grabber. Ever. I don't grab often as I should, but I do. Chaingrabbing with Fox, I stick to chaingrabbing other Foxes, Falcos, and big characters. Bowser, DK, Ganon and "Puffed Kirby" (aka his flying/jumping/floating state)

FastFox

Faster than most vehicles
BRoomer
Well, chaingrabbing is great and all, but does it really make sense where you can do about 6-8 times the damage with a single waveshine combo?

TheManaLord

Smash Hero
against falcon it aint the best choice. if u mess up he can punish ya. waveshine is a much better option, and it usually ends in a ko so yea better choice.

Tundravalco

Smash Journeyman
i like to upthrow > uptilt > grab repeat. doesnt normally work very long and i usually just upsmash > upair instead of grabbing again.

tarheeljks

Smash Lord
Good Falcons aren't gonna let you just waveshine combo them around. Getting a grab in is far easier than starting a shine combo. Fox should take absolutely every advantage he can over every character, even if he does have advantage over them. (And Fox only has a slight one over Falcon)

true. cging falcon will open him up to more shines, especially against shieldgrabbers. if you shffl to grab and then cg , the falcon will shield grab less so it should be easier land shines. i still think waveshining is still a better gameplan against falcon, but if i'm having trouble landing shines i'm going to start cg'ing him more.

Lean

Smash Journeyman
hol tha phone......3 years laterrrrr stepped out t
well i chain grab but like others said not as much as i should and i cant say ive done it more then 2 times against a falcon...and about the waveshine combo, thats a better move IMO but i cant do it to good yet (i mess up the wavedash sumtimes) so i have to GC as much as possible lol

TemPesT-

Smash Lord
well...imo a good fox, would rather use shine combos, than cg cuz its more fun, looks better, and is more effective if ur smart...and a good fox can waveshine a good falcon around anyday...try using some thunderish combos, like dair shine, wavejab, nair or w/e u want, to another grab

tarheeljks

Smash Lord
imo, a good fox will do whatever deals damage effectively. good falcons will do a good job of not getting shined too often and when shined they are unlikely to get "waveshined around all day." take a look at this match (its a little old, but not that old) how often does silentspectre get trapped in a long waveshine combo? not very. he DI's far enough away so that he can shield it or gentleman out.

FastFox

Faster than most vehicles
BRoomer
Dair -> waveshine -> u-air -> u-tilt -> grab -> u-throw -> u-air.

Oh the possibilities.

Let's add up the damage, shall we?

Dair is about 7%, then there's the shine, which add's another 3%. The U-air is 15% I think, and the u-tilt is 9%, then the turn around grab (depending on whether or not you grab-attack) is about 3%, the up-throw another 5%, then the u-air another 15% or so.

Correct my damages if they're wrong, but that's a hell of a lot more than a chaingrab.

Eggz

Smash Hero
Jman said:
The match starts. You have two options. You can either shffl nair/dair, or DD to grab.
If those are the only two options you have at the beginning of a match, I'll assume your not very good. >_>;

Yeah, but if you kick a chaingrab in before the combo, you can get like another 20% ish, plus chaingrabs can't be smash DI'd out of.

Wern't you gonna make me a sig Joel?

btw, saying "shine combos are overrated" is the dumbest **** I've ever heard.

I'm pretty sure shines are generally the best way to combo into a free move vs just about every character.

Drill hits, guarenteed shine.
Shine hits, guarenteed grab, any aerial, any smash, jab, or any tilt.

Dash_Fox

Smash Ace
I think Falcon is too heavy to chain grab, fox doesn't recover as fast after he throws Captain Falcon as say... another Fox or Falco.

The weight of your opponent effects your recovery time after you throw. This is why Marth can't chaingrab Captain Falcon.

So... do waveshine randomness! (Uair, Dair infinite, Usmash!) and then spam lasers...

Phew phew phew!

tarheeljks

Smash Lord

Oh the possibilities.

Dair is about 7%, then there's the shine, which add's another 3%. The U-air is 15% I think, and the u-tilt is 9%, then the turn around grab (depending on whether or not you grab-attack) is about 3%, the up-throw another 5%, then the u-air another 15% or so.

Correct my damages if they're wrong, but that's a hell of a lot more than a chaingrab.
no doubt that this is quite a bit of damage, but i think jfox is contesting the idea that cg's are less effective than pure shine combos, where we interpret the phrase shine combo as meaning a combo that consists solely/mostly of shines (sorry if i'm putting words in your mouth). you essentially initiate this combo w/a shine, but its basically a juggle.

also why not waveshine upsmash?

Eggm

Smash Hero

Oh the possibilities.

Fastfox try doing wave shine to up air in training mode and make it count as consecutive hits, it IS possible, but certainly not easy now add in a falcon with ridiculous DI and its not only extremely difficult but if their DI is good enough its impossible, they will roll dodge get their shield up attack you or whatever they want. If falcon can be chaingrabbed I'd like to know the %'s and stuff cause that is usefull, a very good falco is very tough.

~Tac~

One day at a time.
NNID
Kamidachi
Switch FC
SW-6745-2861-2990
which is exactly why fox is top tier, shines, same as falco
I don't use Falco EVER...but...doesn't Falco's shine send most characters upward or too far to chain?

Oh the possibilities.

You guys make it sound SO easy. I can't waveshine to save my life. If I even try, I already know when I do I'd mess up somewhere and just hear Fox's "OH-TA", watch him float in his air dodge for 1/2 a second, and get tipped by a Marth.

Shuriken

Smash Apprentice
i've had a ton of fox vs. falcon practice, and you cannot chain grab him more than once, and only if they aren't really expecting it. for some reason he can jump out of it very early with proper DI, you can regrab him at about 25-30 but after that he can dj out of it. At middle percents (60-80ish) you can shffl a nair (starting the nair very early in your jump so you don't sweet spot) and regrab him from that.

JFox

Smash Hero
Edit: The shine is so good, you are all right, no one needs new techniques when you can just shine. Shine is the best, all hail the shine.

XianZhou

Smash Rookie
ive cg'd cpt falcon with mario.. from 10 to 50 % then AuA combo'ed him but i dont see any need to cg if u can do some better combos

TemPesT-

Smash Lord
i never even looked at your name to be quite honest, and its not that your technique is shunned upon, its just that face it, most foxes don'tneed this much help against C. falcons, falcon is good, but fox is better, and fox already has more than enough going for him (like the shine) to resort to chains, i dont think there as fun :p if i was desperate to win, sure i might go with the CG's they are safer.

Marth_marth

Smash Cadet
shffle dair wavehine grab dthrow usmash i dont play to many falcons but that combo works well on alot of ppl

Marth_marth

Smash Cadet
If you do it everytime mix it up im not sayin that on every single occasion. If you are predictable with it then its easy to tech but if they are predictable with their techs you can tech chase them.

g0nz02

Smash Apprentice
Marth_mart, you're wrong. Once the dthrow animation starts, if they input DI either direction, they'll roll out of it, causing you to miss a (very punishable) USmash.

JFox, I'd like to see the CG, if you could PM me with it.

Top Bottom