• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

(CD) Cape Dashing *New AT* Updated

Hardgainer08

Smash Apprentice
Wait what?

What I found was a technique where Mario runs one way, that all of a sudden slides backward while caping forwards. It wasn't an ACE, I did it by accident screwing around in training.

It happened when I screwing around with that trick where you run one way then usmash in the opposite direction without having to turn around.

A a sidenote I found you can do upb that way too.

That's what I though we were talking about....my mistake.

Edit: It was on FD platform too not on a ledge.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
seems complicated =/
It's actually really easy once you get the timing down. It's just adding in a control stick right after the ACE.

@hardgainer

Interesting. If you replicate it or find out how to do it, post it.

capeman

Smash Rookie
hardgainer that sounds pretty awesome!!
chargeing cape then fsmash
>:)
if only we figured out how to do that
:(

Matt07

Smash Master
Wow, umm I just did it off the ledge on the WiFi practice stage, so it does work off edges too, interesting.

BoTastic!

Smash Master
NNID
BoScotty
would it not work on the main platform on delfino plaza? and is it actually like a wavedash, can you start a smash before the slide is done?

dam we really need a video.
Those sprites on ur sig.. where did u get it from o_o I've been trying to get them for a while.

~Pink Fresh~

Smash Master
Wait what?

What I found was a technique where Mario runs one way, that all of a sudden slides backward while caping forwards. It wasn't an ACE, I did it by accident screwing around in training.

It happened when I screwing around with that trick where you run one way then usmash in the opposite direction without having to turn around.

A a sidenote I found you can do upb that way too.

That's what I though we were talking about....my mistake.

Edit: It was on FD platform too not on a ledge.
wait wait wait...
FD HAS PLATFORMS?

Judge Judy

Smash Lord
would it not work on the main platform on delfino plaza? and is it actually like a wavedash, can you start a smash before the slide is done?

dam we really need a video.
Yes, but you have to wait before the cape's animation is over which ends about 1/2 to 3/4 of the slide's distance, plus while the cape is out you still have its hitbox.

wait wait wait...
FD HAS PLATFORMS?
He probally meant BF. I have done it once on a solid platform though, but I haven't been able to recreate it.

Hardgainer08

Smash Apprentice
Well since some people are quite interested and I don't blame them. Let me fully explain. I'm actively trying to do it again as we speak.

This is not what the TC was talking about. It is news to me, but I was under the impression he meant what I found.

Basically, I sometimes go on wifi and make a room and just screw around while I wait for a match.

I was just messing around looking for Mario techs I hadn't known of. So I was using the same principle where the player runs and the turns and quickly does an usmash in the opposite direction without going through the whole turning animation by hitting the direction button in the opposite direction, jumping per my x button and immediately going into a usmash.

It's the same thing Bo did in his vid at about 29 secs to Samus http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rY1_YSFzsZE

So basically I was thinking, "well I wonder if it can work with b moves too" So the UP B worked with some effort. Fire not so much, and fludd not so much either.

But I was really pushing on the cape, I felt like if Ace does stuff like that, who knows what else it can do?

So I kept doing it, trying to do it as fast as I can, and what I saw one time freaked me out.

I mean I saw Mario slide backward while caping foward, the weird thing was he kinda moved forward too at the end but not a lot.

I know it sounds crazy, and to be honest my eyes didn't believe it and I frantically tried to redo it. But it wouldn't work. Believe it or not it was on the stage, no platforms. It was kinda like a wavedash, which is why when I saw capedash I figured the TC found it out and perfected it.

Sorry about the confusion. I just called it FD because essentially the waiting room is FD without special effects.

Edit: I should also mention I was throwing in random csticking too...

Hagar

Smash Cadet
Well since some people are quite interested and I don't blame them. Let me fully explain. I'm actively trying to do it again as we speak.

This is not what the TC was talking about. It is news to me, but I was under the impression he meant what I found.

Basically, I sometimes go on wifi and make a room and just screw around while I wait for a match.

I was just messing around looking for Mario techs I hadn't known of. So I was using the same principle where the player runs and the turns and quickly does an usmash in the opposite direction without going through the whole turning animation by hitting the direction button in the opposite direction, jumping per my x button and immediately going into a usmash.

It's the same thing Bo did in his vid at about 29 secs to Samus http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rY1_YSFzsZE

So basically I was thinking, "well I wonder if it can work with b moves too" So the UP B worked with some effort. Fire not so much, and fludd not so much either.

But I was really pushing on the cape, I felt like if Ace does stuff like that, who knows what else it can do?

So I kept doing it, trying to do it as fast as I can, and what I saw one time freaked me out.

I mean I saw Mario slide backward while caping foward, the weird thing was he kinda moved forward too at the end but not a lot.

I know it sounds crazy, and to be honest my eyes didn't believe it and I frantically tried to redo it. But it wouldn't work. Believe it or not it was on the stage, no platforms. It was kinda like a wavedash, which is why when I saw capedash I figured the TC found it out and perfected it.

Sorry about the confusion. I just called it FD because essentially the waiting room is FD without special effects.

Edit: I should also mention I was throwing in random csticking too...
Well if that's true it would be pretty hard to pull it off considering you have to press jump and b at basically the same time

qmann28

Smash Apprentice
Don't know if this is worth mentioning or not, but I noticed in the vid that you did a (forgive me for not knowing the correct term) pivot slide into the edge rather than the tech. After messing around with this for awhile on Battlefield, I found it was easier to hit the B button first, and then move the control stick.

Run to almost the edge -> B button -> Stick in the opposite direction.

You have to move it almost right after you hit the B button so you don't reverse fireball, but I was able to do it much more consistently this way.

Also, when you said you did it on a solid platform, did you mean you went the full length? I've been messing around with that too and I barely go anywhere, but I do go backwards rather than the normal cape glide.

Judge Judy

Smash Lord
Also, when you said you did it on a solid platform, did you mean you went the full length? I've been messing around with that too and I barely go anywhere, but I do go backwards rather than the normal cape glide.
I did once full length on a solid platform (BF) but I haven't been able to recreate it.

Matt07

Smash Master
Nice it seems Famous found a way of incorporating it into his game.

"Don't cry Kadaj." Sorry I had to. Final Fantasy Advent Children reference.

Famous

Smash Champion
Actually, once you get the timing right you can use it to surprise people... Lure someone to the edge then surprise them with it. You can pretty much follow up however you like since there not going to be facing your direction.

Famous

Smash Champion
Yo, this is an AT thread for Mario. Lol, I know your trying to help but err....

He must have meant Battlefield

Judge Judy

Smash Lord
Some of you are saying that you've done it on solid platforms as well like FD any vids or explanations?

Just trying to help Famous out...
No, I've only done it once and I haven't been able to recreate it since then.

Hagar

Smash Cadet
I really don't see how this is even possible on any solid stage. Honestly I think it's pretty useless anyway since you have to wait for the cape animation to end before you can do anything; it doesn't cancel out when you hit the ground.

Judge Judy

Smash Lord
I really don't see how this is even possible on any solid stage. Honestly I think it's pretty useless anyway since you have to wait for the cape animation to end before you can do anything; it doesn't cancel out when you hit the ground.
Yes, but it's fast and the cape doesn't last the whole duration of the slide, plus it's not that bad having the cape's hitbox out like that anyway.

Famous

Smash Champion
Yea, the hitbox of the cape lingers for quite a while which is good if someone tries a counter-attack. This move could get really technical...I used it on frigid orphen(right side) I CD'ed then teched off the wall right out of it into a Nair

donferd_donster

Smash Cadet
hmmm....... *running to the wii* ................. wow i did it.........WOW THATS A NIFTY TRICK! I hope we can use it in some way to our advantage. hmmm.... cant wait for the video to see if im doing it right way!

Top Bottom