• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Cave Story General

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Sup. y'all. Gonna do some work to the OP here for Cave Story.

Originally a freeware game released to the public back in 2004, it quickly gained popularity for it's style of gameplay - it ran in a similar fashion to Metroid and Castlevania. Back during that time, freeware games were below average, so this game was gaining much popularity for it's high-end quality.

Developed by a single man who goes by the alias Pixel, the game stars a silent protagonist attempting to save a race from being used for experimental intentions and as a means for power. I'd go into detail, but I'd rather not spoil it.

The soundtrack is amazing, the graphics are great, and the gameplay is astounding. All for free in the PC. The game gained translations and ports across platforms (PSP, for example, if you had the means) but wouldn't receive a priced release until 2010 when the game saw some improvements and released on the Wii Ware. It saw an updated graphical interface, multiple files, a redone soundtrack, new modes such as Boss Rush and Time attack, and the ability to play as Curly Barce (One of the game's protagonists). Months later, a DSi version was made. It had all but the Boss rush mode and Time attack of the Wii ware version.

In September of 2011, Cave Story would find itself on the Mac App Store. It included updated graphics and music.

November 2011, Steam received a PC port of the game with a new level designed but Pixel, himself. "Wind Fortress" which includes some scrapped music originally intended for content Pixel wanted to include in the final version, but didn't get to it.

Cave Story 3D is a complete remake, in 3D of the game. Released November 8th in NA, this game sports a completely redone engine and a remastered soundtrack and sells at full retail price of a 3DS game ($40). It's probably the most expensive of the versions available, but it is the most impressive looking of them.

--------------------

That's the cut of it.

The game's ****ing amazing. Go play it.

--------------

Evil Iggy

Smash Cadet
Cave story actually revitalized my hope in modern gaming. The Wii version was okay, but they managed to ruin the loop on all of the music tracks, which is a shame because Cave Story has some really awesome music (check the OCremixes. Tell me that's not impressive).

That game DESPERATELY needs a prequel, though. That one gold hallway has not one, not two, but FOUR Demon Crown bearers. As far as I'm concerned, that's four separate games, right there.

Kei_Takaro

Smash Lord
Cave Story, good times...
Yeah, I second that thought of modern gaming, wish there were more of those that appeal to the 2D Metroidvania styles

Lurker guy

Smash Apprentice

Kei_Takaro

Smash Lord
:*o that Balrog plush is so awesome!!
I finished it once on the PC, PSP and Wii. Experimenting with the endings, I really wanted to avoid Curly dying though.

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
Cave story actually revitalized my hope in modern gaming. The Wii version was okay, but they managed to ruin the loop on all of the music tracks, which is a shame because Cave Story has some really awesome music (check the OCremixes. Tell me that's not impressive).

That game DESPERATELY needs a prequel, though. That one gold hallway has not one, not two, but FOUR Demon Crown bearers. As far as I'm concerned, that's four separate games, right there.
In my opinion just about every cave story remix track is ****ing trash. Hardly any of them retain the same melody, and even less of them retain the mood of the songs.

If only the originals were slightly extended. :(

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
Are you talking about gameplay or art style? I'm more than a bit confused.

Lurker guy

Smash Apprentice
"There’s a very, very good chance we’ll see a sequel."
This is the best day ever.

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
SSorry to be breathing life to a dead topic like this, but I believe this game deserves more attention than it deserves.

OP should include information to the Cavestory 3D that will be releasing soon.

Completely remade for the 3DS.

But yes, this game is amazing. I never got to play that extra content that, I think, was called hell? I couldn't figure out the conditions for unlocking it.

Anyway - talk more about this game.

:)

asianaussie

Smash Hero
it was called sacred ground

don't get booster 0.8
get the tow rope
rescusitate curly
take her with you
cure curly's amnesia and get iron bond
hole opens up

i just got to the real last cave last night (my 4th playthrough or something), still a great game

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
I might look into doing just that in the coming days.

The game is short, but charming throughout, even after I've played it several times.

Been a while, and I've forgotten most outside of the biggest things like where I am and where to go next.

I got the Wii enhanced port, so I'll probably do it there. Besides, it's no thang to go from Skyward Sword to this how that the Wii is active again.

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
PC, there's a freeware version (the original), then you can find it coded to play on PSP, but you need your PSP modified so you can do that.

Then there's version you can pay for, such as the Wii ware and DSi ware versions.

And soon there will be a 3DS version, but that's releasing for $40.

I'd suggest buying the 3DS version as it'll be the definitive version, if you have yet to play it. But it's all up to you.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I'll buy the 3DS version, when is it released?

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I haven't seen it out, maybe it's not mainstream enough for Walmart.

They only have 2 rows in 1 case for 3DS games

Guess I have to check out Gamestop, though it'll be more expensive there

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
It will be the same price where ever you go.

But I'm fairly certain it was pushed. Sites say it was released the 8th of November in the US and the 24th being the last day for worldwide release.

Still, I haven't seen it in store, otherwise I'd have bought it.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
It will be the same price where ever you go.

But I'm fairly certain it was pushed. Sites say it was released the 8th of November in the US and the 24th being the last day for worldwide release.

Still, I haven't seen it in store, otherwise I'd have bought it.
It's not the same price if you know an employee

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
Cave Story Remastered HD Turbo Remix 2 is out on Steam for $10, 15% off right now.

Original (320x240) graphics and upgraded “HD” graphics
Remastered music as well as the original soundtrack
Mix-and-match new/old artwork and music!
Six new play modes (including Wind Fortress, Boss Rush and more!)
Over 20 epic boss battles through Mimiga Island
15 levels to explore in the vast world
10 unique weapons to find and upgrade
USB controller compatibility
Four unique endings
Future content updates

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I just bought Cave Story 3D, and though I haven't played much of it, the controls feel a little archaic.

Haven't played enough to get a clear idea of it yet

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Not that it matters, but I went ahead and added to the OP.

Thanks to Fate for letting me do it.

Top Bottom