• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Casuals

mariofanpm12

Smash Ace
Ever told a really casual smasher about competitive smash or anything like that?

I once told my friend about the tier list and he said "what?! no mario? no link at the top?! that's stupid!"

i expected it, but...

has that ever happened to you?

MarKO X

Smash Champion
NNID
legendnumberM
3DS FC
2595-2072-2390
Switch FC
lol...

I DIed from a friend's Yoshi's Ground Pound that woulda been lethal otherwise. I tried to explain DI, he didn't wanna hear it. He thought that Marth was getting this "ultimate push."

Tujex

Smash Ace
I try to tell them, but if they don't listen I just continue to pwn them to show them that AT's are needed to beat me XD.

mariofanpm12

Smash Ace
u know wut was odd when i talked about tiers...

he said "tiers are for queers"

he'd never ever heard of that phrase i dont believe, but... how ironic.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
Best Quote from my Crew:

Sieg: YOU CAN'T DI UP!?!?!?

And Casuals are good for one thing.
Sandbagging, and just having fun.

kr3wman

Smash Master
Now, now... we were all casuals at one point. ;)
I was always pro. I noticed from the start Kirby and pikachu were broken in Smash 64, that Fox/Falco were way too uber for the other chars in Melee except for mah main man Marth and that Brawl is slow as ****.

I even discovered Z-canceling by myself in Smash 64 before I knew how a computer worked.

Of course, I'm still bad, but...

Darkwashu

Smash Ace
Nah
I want my friends to be purified and think C.Falcon is just as good as MK.

hippochinfat!!

Smash Lord
My friend who just sucks at the game keeps telling me how Ike is the best and to beat me he just has to use Aether over and over since once it hits you you're trapped...

Ace55

Smash Lord
I remember an old friend of mine who kept blaiming me for giving myself more stars and wouldn't believe that they were actually ko's counted. Seriously, he would not believe me, and insisted I was cheating.

That was a long time ago though, early melee era.

Wiwiweb

Smash Journeyman
I remember an old friend of mine who kept blaiming me for giving myself more stars and wouldn't believe that they were actually ko's counted. Seriously, he would not believe me, and insisted I was cheating.

That was a long time ago though, early melee era.

Wow, that's funny :laugh:

-mugen-

Smash Journeyman
My friend was so incredibly shocked when I moved around and hovered with MK's tornado. :oh well:

Haha, and my other friend likes to play Wolf and gets so f'ing pissed when I ledgehog him. Funniest sh*t every.

IWontGetOverTheDam

Smash Lord
I was always pro. I noticed from the start Kirby and pikachu were broken in Smash 64, that Fox/Falco were way too uber for the other chars in Melee except for mah main man Marth and that Brawl is slow as ****.

I even discovered Z-canceling by myself in Smash 64 before I knew how a computer worked.

Of course, I'm still bad, but...
That =/= competitive.

0RLY

A great conversation filler at bars and parties
If something isn't in the instruction manual for that game, it's apparently too advanced for my friends to understand. DI should be in the instruction manual for the next smash game.

MarKO X

Smash Champion
NNID
legendnumberM
3DS FC
2595-2072-2390
Switch FC
it's okay... most of the ATs in Brawl are useless *at least right now* anyway.

Shy Guy 86

Smash Ace
One time in another forum an Ike mainer(who mained Snake before) was telling me about how Falco sucks just because of his new shine, and how he beat 3 level 9 falco's with peach, Falco >>>>>>>>>>>>> Ike by far

Al_Di_Medola

Smash Journeyman
my friend thinks Pit is the best character in the game...
he uses the side B constantly, and is really annoying, but he REALLY believes it. even after i beat him with every character in the game...

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Now, now... we were all casuals at one point. ;)
Except for Chuck Norris.

...Okay, I can't take credit for that, I saw that joke made somewhere else on here. Except I believe it was "noob" that he never was. So...whoever I got that from (can't recall)...credit given.

To actually reply to you Xsyven, true, we were all casuals at one point (as much as I hate to admit it). But that doesn't mean it's hard not to be shocked and find it funny when someone is convinced that Mario is god tier because he's Nintendo's mascot.

If something isn't in the instruction manual for that game, it's apparently too advanced for my friends to understand. DI should be in the instruction manual for the next smash game.
How hard is DI to figure out? It's a natural impulse anyways, isn't it? You want to move further to the side so you press the control stick that way, even if it won't do anything (although it does in this case)?

But yeah, I know how you feel. It makes me facepalm when I hear "Tiers are for queers". Such a stupid expression in so many ways.

MarKO X

Smash Champion
NNID
legendnumberM
3DS FC
2595-2072-2390
Switch FC
And I miss it so.

I liked Roy being the best character in Smash.
And strangely being good with Peach.
Ahhh... the good ol' dayz.

Roy was better than Marth.
Mewtwo was a god... that got owned.
Samus was too awesome.
Fox, Falco, and Falcon were too fast for anyone to tolerate.
Mario was a beast because of his cape and easily counterpicked Samus because of it.
Nobody played as Shiek. (or even knew that if you hold A you could start the match with her)
Pikachu and Kirby were still "top tier."

Yes, those are but a mere fraction of the days I was a casualty... oh, how knowledge ruins the innocence.

luvs2pluck

Smash Apprentice
How hard is DI to figure out? It's a natural impulse anyways, isn't it? You want to move further to the side so you press the control stick that way, even if it won't do anything (although it does in this case)?
Thats what I always thought but a surprising amount of people dont have any natural instinct to DI, these people also generally won't do things like mash buttons to get out of stuff like DKs downB or jigs sleep. It blows my mind when I realize that they havnt been doing these seemingly simple things. Maybe we all played Tony Hawk or something and are used to mashing buttons to get up faster.

nakedsnake

Smash Journeyman
The only reason you use final destination is because you suck. The game is supposed to be play with distractions but you don't have the skills to dodge a items.

Me- All the professionals use neutral stages

But you suck

Me- Alot better then you

But all you can do is fight against level 6 computers I can do like 2 level 9's

Me- Fighting level 9's does not help you. They suck and are unhuman like

ahfhafhafakjfhafafhfafahasfffhahafhafhfhakhahfakfhafkafhafkajfhjghghaifhagajkga
(Translation blah blah blah I am a noob blah blah blah blah blah you suck

Me- Fine if you don't want to play I can find someone online

trying to explain why certain things are different at the competitive level can be hard.
expecially if someone likes items or certain stages

bigmac267

Smash Cadet
One kid I know creates his own tier list based upon the characters that he can use best (but still not very well) and the strategy guide. He insists constantly that Ike is "God tier" because of his strength and "amazing recovery."

Darkurai

Smash Master
I once spoke to someone who was primarily an XBox gamer, but still technically casual at that too. When I told him about the concept of Tiers and such, he was interested. Though he doesn't even own a Wii or GameCube, so it wasn't that big of a deal to him.

And my girlfriend isn't too big on the idea of competitive play either, though she's not really that big on gaming in general, so I guess it's forgivable. It's insanely hard to explain some AT's to her, and for a time she thought it was absolutely ridiculous that we originally thought Snake was terrible, then we suddenly realized he wasn't.

ArowYoshi

Smash Apprentice
Appalachian State University/ West Jefferson, NC
i have a buddy who mains link, casually but he plays competitive halo. so knowing a bit about tiers he asked me where link fell in the list, he kinda freaked when he heard that link was near bottom, he was like "what? but i do so well against people" well maybe here, but competitive brawl players, like myself kinda beat his face in. but i tried to tell him that teirs dont really matter, he understands that, but its a little bonus to have your character near top anyway.

notftomearth7

Smash Lord
On the blue planet next to the sun, can't miss it!
You know, I'm a casual and I just can't stand when people get uber competitive about any of the Smash Bros game. Techniques are a manipulation of the game (In Melee especially)

I do however, understand why some characters would be on lower tiers and than others and how that would effect gameplay. I also understand how some stages aren't ideal for tournament play.

But seriously, can't we just have fun?

Johnny_C

Smash Cadet
Ah casuals... (Potential n00bs). I LOVE when new gamers comes to play and choose Ike, because he has a big sword, or pick "metroid, because "HE has a laser", or when they get pissed at my T.V becuase it randomly changes the screen, that was of course, until they realized that it was "The giant monster on the stage" who did that.

Top Bottom