• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Castlevania: Harmony of Despair

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
I haven't played much lately, I only got an Ancient Armor regarding to rare drops, so... =P

Dracula loves to troll me. ;-;
Also, I hope the DLC comes soon.

Gasp! =O

Stella and Loretta playable...? =O

Nah, not really. I made that fake screen. :3
So if you see that one, it's 100% fake. XD

Master Xanthan

Smash Champion
man takes forever to get jonathan's knives leveled up to 9. Been stuck on level 8 for the longest time. I also need to boost Shanoa as well, bringing up the level on shanoa's glyphs is basically done the same way that jonathan brings up his levels on the sub-weapons right?

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
Jonathan's knives are probably the absolutely fastest subweapon to level in this game.

And yes, Shanoa's spells level up the same way.

Master Xanthan

Smash Champion
Its ok it was getting kind of late anyway I have college tomorrow. Dude you're so so lucky you got the Yasu for Alucard! Did you get it on chapter 5 hard or chapter 6 hard? Congrats on getting the wrecking ball up to 9, must have taken forever to do, lol.

O D I N

Smash Hero
GameAngel64's house, getting my @#% handed to me.
3DS FC
4098-3123-8629
It did! X_X

I got the Yasu on Chp 5, from Boss chest actually. But sources tell me you can get it from the chests on 5 (lots of people say purple, I know my buddy Darkgamer7's buddy got it from a green).

Edit: I'm now a x2 Yatsucard and a x1 Somaway. Wootness.

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
Wrecking Ball isn't even that bad, Bible is the worst. D:
Yasutsuna doesn't drop from green chests on Stage 5. o.o This is the first time I hear that lol <.< I got both of mine from purple ones.

Speaking of grinding:
I got Shanoa maxed out, all spells for Alucard. Currently hunting for the last few items I need, it's not much anymore, like 20 items in total. Then I only need to farm up the souls for Soma (ugh...) and then I'm completely done. DLC will probably be released before I finish tho. xD

And ladies and gentlemen - I got a Chaos Ring. That's right, dudes. 8D
The best thing is how I got it. I was like playing with a couple guys from GameFAQs. We were alternating between stages 2 and 3 to get Thief Rings and Chaos Rings.
We played Chapter 3 and I was Alucard. For some reason I decided to be a moron and I have no idea what I did. I ended up in the upper right corner with the green chest when the other 5 killed off Menace. I got the Chaos Ring, and nobody else did, although I wasn't helping like at all.

Realization: You are getting the best stuff when you're completely useless.

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
New DLC Available Now For Castlevania: Harmony of Despair

http://kotaku.com/5652590/new-dlc-available-now-for-castlevania-harmony-of-despair/

That's confirmed with today's availability of "Beauty, Desire Situation Dire," for 400 Microsoft Points on Xbox Live Marketplace.

"Beauty, Desire Situation Dire," is the first extra map for the side-scrolling Xbox Live Arcade title. A release says players will explore an ancient Egyptian pyramid bathed in psychedelic art, facing a "femme fatale boss, Ashtarte, with the sole intent of breaking your soul into oblivion."

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
Got it, it's really cool, I like the stage. It's well-designed, big, and the boss is challenging.

Unfortunately, the exclusive new items she drops are kinda bad. :<

I also suspect the characters being released one by one on a weekly base.

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
I got over 600 Dracula kills and got no Winged Boots. D:
Hopefully Astarte will be more generous to me, I've seen them drop for pretty much everybody else I've played with, but not for me. ;-;

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
Yea, as said, when playing with other people on Astarte, they were dropping like flies - one guy even got 2 pairs back to back, haha.

Octave

Smash Ace
Ah, I missed that part before. This game seems like it only got okay reviews. Is this only good for multiplayer?

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
Yea, reviewers weren't really generous with this game. It's pretty good though if you like loot games.

That said, I really shouldn't play Julius mode in Dawn of Sorrow, I'm really itching to play as him and Yoko now. It's even worse than when I heard that Yoko is going to come too. =/

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
Doubleposting allowed by F8AL. :3

Since it's been a month after the last post, there have happened a few things regarding this game, specifically the DLC.
As some of you might've noticed, Konami released 2 music pack DLCs for 160 MS points each.
The first one includes "Pitch-Black Intrusion" from Dawn of Sorrow, "Pitiful Scion" (also known as "Tragic Prince") from Symphony of the Night, "An Empty Tome" from Order of Ecclesia, and 2 songs from Portrait of Ruin, specifically "Invitation of a Crazed Moon" and "The Hidden Curse".
The second pack has another batch of 5 songs, this time "Aquarius" from Castlevania 3, "Slash" and "Divine Bloodlines" from Rondo of Blood/Dracula X, "Simon's Theme" from Super Castlevania 4 and finally "Heart of Fire", but not the original Castlevania version, but the version from Aria of Sorrow, which mixes up that song with "Don't Wait Until Night" from Haunted Castle.

Some people have the theory that these songs are supposed to be the character themes for all of the characters, with the first pack being the themes for the 5 original characters, and the second pack being the themes for upcoming DLC characters, so it would look like this:
Pitch-Black Intrusion = Soma
Tragic Prince = Alucard
An Empty Tome = Shanoa
Invitation of a Crazed Moon = Jonathan (or Charlotte)
The Hidden Curse = Charlotte (or Jonathan)

Simon's Theme is obvious, it is Simon Belmont.
Heart of Fire is, in Aria of Sorrow, actually used as Julius Belmont's theme, one of the officially confirmed DLC characters.
Slash has been established as Maria Renard's theme in Judgment, and she is also one of the officially confirmed DLC characters.
Divine Bloodlines is widely considered being Richter Belmont's theme.
Aquarius is a bit obscure but the theory goes like this: Yoko Belnades (the third and so far last officially confirmed DLC character for the record) is the successor to Sypha Belnades, the magician heroine in Castlevania 3. Aquarius also is a song from Castlevania 3.
Sypha's theme has been established as Mad Forest, and Yoko has her own themes, but maybe Konami just went with the more popular Castlevania 3 tune (aside from Beginning).

I'll get to some other regarding the characters in a bit, but I'll keep on the music topic. It is pretty sure that Konami will throw out a third music DLC consisting of the remaining "classic" Castlevania tunes. Most importantly, that's of course Vampire Killer, Bloody Tears and Beginning. There's 2 more spots, but there are many songs that could be considered, such as Wicked Child, Iron Blue Intention or maybe some completely surprising ones.

Alright, onto the characters. Unfortunately, they haven't been released yet, but apparently there is a message on the Japanese XBL news bulletin stating that Konami has sort of an error and is not able to offer the characters yet. They are trying their best to fix it and stated that they will give out a release date soon. There's the rumor going around that this error is similar to what BlazBlue had suffered from with their Valkenhayn character DLC that was delayed for the 360 version.

As I mentioned earlier, 3 characters have been confirmed, I have already posted these earlier in the thread too: Julius Belmont and Yoko Belnades (both Aria and Dawn of Sorrow) as well as Maria Renard (originated in Rondo of Blood but has seen many incarnations).
There also have been soundfiles found in the data of the original 5 characters, yelling the names of a total of 6 characters that are not in the game yet. 3 of them are the aforementioned Julius, Yoko and Maria.
The other 3 are: Richter Belmont, Simon Belmont and Hammer (the shopkeeper from the Aria and Dawn of Sorrow).

The music theory makes much more sense considering this knowledge. I don't want to say Simon and Richter are confirmed yet, however, at least Richter seems very likely to be included because Maria never appeared without him (well except for Judgment, but loljudgment), even more so with his theme being included in the music DLC.

And that's my update. =)
I'm really looking forward to the new characters, I saw footage from Julius and Maria, and especially Julius seems awesome - basically he seems to play like Simon from Super Castlevania 4.

Edit:
Oh also: Julius and Maria have been on Partnernet, the developer version of XBL, so if you have a devbox, you are able to play their beta versions.
You can see footage of these 2 characters on this YouTube account:
http://www.youtube.com/user/doublesbrian
Yoko only has her official art on the Japanese product page and like 2 screenshots in some Famitsu scan, so no footage for her yet.

And here is a picture of the news message about the characters' error: http://img560.imageshack.us/img560/838/img0267.jpg

O D I N

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4098-3123-8629
So the new characters came out. I was surprised.

EDIT: And MORE characters came out yesterday!

So now we have Julius Belmont, Yoko (something), Maria (something) and the original bad *** himself, Richter Belmont.

I'll update OP when I have time.

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
To bump the thread (XD), Richter Belmont and Maria Renard came out today.
So 4 chars in 2 weeks, pretty awesome.

Also Odin, it's Yoko Belnades.

Richter kinda plays clunky, like oldschool NES Castlevania Belmonts, I dunno. :<

O D I N

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4098-3123-8629
I LOVE Richter. And Julius.

Maybe it's cause I loved playing as Johnathan. Maybe it's the extendzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzed Cross toss/whip distance. Maybe it's because he plays differently enough. I dunno.

What I DO know is that I want some god damn winged boots. :<

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
Luckily, I was completely done with the game before the DLC characters came out, so I just had to get all of their martial arts (which I did now) and max them (which I'm making very good progress on). So I'll be done with the game soon again. XD

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
Yeah, Richter is like a badass mix between Julius and Jonathan. It's kinda sad he is so similar to Julius (same subweapons, similar power + whip-length, only difference is more martial arts but not as great utility with the whip).
Thing is though, Julius still is better for people who like using the whip because it looks like Richter players would prefer using the martial arts (similar to Jonathan).

O D I N

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4098-3123-8629
Yeah, Richter is like a badass mix between Julius and Jonathan. It's kinda sad he is so similar to Julius (same subweapons, similar power + whip-length, only difference is more martial arts but not as great utility with the whip).
Thing is though, Julius still is better for people who like using the whip because it looks like Richter players would prefer using the martial arts (similar to Jonathan).
I've noticed that. Richter might actually be a good character to use Skull ring on. Seeing as kick doesn't take any mp. Plus, Spike boots are great on Richter. :D

I need to grind. T__T

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
So, about 2 weeks have passed since the game has recieved a title update with several changes to characters and items!
The matchmaking has been awesomely overhauled.

But here's the most awesome news:
Chapters 8 and 9 have been announced for January! Chapter 8 will be a stage based on Symphony of the Night's underground areas with Legion as boss.
Chapter 9 is titled "Lord of the Flies", so people are assuming Beelzebub or Abaddon as boss.

http://www.konami.jp/products/dl_xbox_dracula_hd/index.html

Also, something of note, January 13 is the release date for Harmony of Despair's original soundtrack. There is no tracklist yet, suggesting that there might be still a music pack coming along.

http://vgmdb.net/album/21877

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
Why would you want to nerf a character or their abilities? Especially considering that character's spells are pretty much useless? If anything, weapons. <_<
And even then it would be silly because making a game better is not by limiting options, it's by expanding them.

But yea...
They nerfed the Yasutsuna, it doesn't hit as quickly anymore, but it's still a good weapon.

O D I N

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4098-3123-8629
Credit to .joel:

I'm just gonna post this on your wall to avoid doubleposting in the CVHD thread:
Chapter 8 is out, Chapter 9-11 and 2 characters (Simon Belmont and Getsu Fuuma from an obscure Japanese-only NES game) have been announced, and the OST has been released. Chapter 9, 10 and Simon are to be released this month, Getsu Fuma and Ch. 11 next month.
8-Bit goodness ahead!

http://www.konami.jp/products/dl_xbox_dracula_hd/index.html

In other news, I got my second Valman-blender yesterday, and finally got winged boots! Huzzah!

EDIT: Grats to Xanthan for get his first Valmanway on his first Legion run. :)

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
Chapter 9 is out.
Castlevania HD goes Dungeons and Dragons... Alucard Sword +1 and Kaiser Knuckle +1 are among the drops in this stage. :p

Top Bottom