• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Cartoon Network: Punch Time Explosion XL

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
Nice, lol. Can't wait for the VODs xD should be fun seeing competitive play of this

ExtraLarge

Smash Rookie
That's a long ways away. Right now we're still struggling for people who are interested.

Royal Cool

Smash Rookie
My videos will be up at the end of the week, work got in the way of things. But in the mean while, does anyone have a copy of the instruction manual? My wife version was used and didn't have one, and the digital ps3 one didn't come with one either

Royal Cool

Smash Rookie
Here's the Playlist of our VODs. Like 2GG sagas, we name our events after specific players. Our player Keychain won our last event, so this is called Keychain Punch Time. Our recording set up got a little screwed up, which is why there's no game audio, just the mic audio. There's also no in game taunts, so our rule is if you want to taunt, you have to do an IRL taunt, which is why so many people dance/pop off.

Our starting stages were:
Final
Ben 10 1
KND 1
Fosters 2
Samurai Jack 2

Our counter stage was:
Chowder 1

We tried to keep the stage striking as close to Melee as we could.

I was on the commentary mic for most matches, sorry of y commentary isn't perfect, we're just getting started.

VODs can be found here
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLooVA8rXMWyax2Sr-U3eArrdCaKpcDcGd

Onnex

Smash Rookie
NNID
Kikirishu
Is there like a Discord server for this game, or a way we could play the Wii version on netplay? I've been playing it recently and playing with people via netplay sounds awesome if you can't get people offline. (I only have one person offline willing to play this with me. :'^] )

Royal Cool

Smash Rookie
The guys from my weekly tried to set up net play and they couldn't get it working, but if any of you guys can I'll totally jump on board.

As of now there's no discord, I think this is literally the ONLY forum of competitive discussion for the game

MasterWarlord

Smash Champion
Not wasting countless hours on a 10 man community
I've finished a Gamefaqs guide for this game that primarily focuses on competitive play.

I used this thread as a reference, but I found a lot of my own exploits that weren't brought up here at all. I have a pretty radically different tier list than the ones posted at the start of the thread.

I should note to anyone out there that I got into this game because it's now only a mere dollar on PSN, so if this looks entertaining/funny to you, the price of admission isn't high.

Last edited:

Royal Cool

Smash Rookie
I've finished a Gamefaqs guide for this game that primarily focuses on competitive play.

I used this thread as a reference, but I found a lot of my own exploits that weren't brought up here at all. I have a pretty radically different tier list than the ones posted at the start of the thread.

I should note to anyone out there that I got into this game because it's now only a mere dollar on PSN, so if this looks entertaining/funny to you, the price of admission isn't high.
Seems like you've put a lot of effort into this, good work. Do you by any chance have the instruction manual? I wanna see if the developers gave each move a name, ya know?

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
Seems like you've put a lot of effort into this, good work. Do you by any chance have the instruction manual? I wanna see if the developers gave each move a name, ya know?
I have the instruction manual for both the 3DS & Wii versions.

They don't list the special moves.

Mrrgle

Smash Cadet
I'm so sad that everyone moved on to the Discord, I miss the good ol' days of these forums.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Yeesh, looking back this game was pretty…bad.

-Not enough diversity in shows (where’re Ed, Edd n’ Eddy, Cow and Chicken, Courage the Cowardly Dog, etc.?)
-Janky Kang gameplay
-The Space Ghost’s narration (yes, that is the Space Ghost) is the only dialogue we hear in the story mode, apart from Ben talking about some bad stuff or whatever at the end of the Chowder level.
-In the 3DS version, Flapjack sounds nothing like he normally does.

And the 3DS version; yeah, that one’s even worse. (Rant over)

Amaterachu1

Smash Cadet
Yeesh, looking back this game was pretty…bad.

-Not enough diversity in shows (where’re Ed, Edd n’ Eddy, Cow and Chicken, Courage the Cowardly Dog, etc.?)
-Janky Kang gameplay
-The Space Ghost’s narration (yes, that is the Space Ghost) is the only dialogue we hear in the story mode, apart from Ben talking about some bad stuff or whatever at the end of the Chowder level.
-In the 3DS version, Flapjack sounds nothing like he normally does.

And the 3DS version; yeah, that one’s even worse. (Rant over)
Meh, I personally prefer it over the Smash Bros. Series. Which I know is crazy, but there's a certain charm to this game Smash doesn't have, at least not in the modern day. It does graphically look like an early 2000s game, and the characters would almost suggest that.

-Missing characters like the Eds, Courage (the two most commonly expressed characters for this game), I don't mind. Although I've never been too enthusiastic on adding DLC in Smash Bros itself. What's in is in, and I'll enjoy what we got.
-Never entirely understood the "Jank" argument, so I can't defend that. Although gameplay videos I see such as arcade modes and Alpharad definitely looks like players playing Melee for the first time. I suppose there are some ridiculous collision issues and glitches/exploits that can aid in battle.
-Can't defend Space Ghost, personally like him because of his random comments mid battle. To draw similarities with Brawl, none of the characters really talked in that game either. The problem is Cartoon Network characters talk on a day to day basis and seeing them talk is a given as opposed to video game characters. We draw this second expectation, that feels very needed.
-3DS oh boy.

Amaterachu1

Smash Cadet
New netplay tournament at the discord server (https://discord.gg/AK7jxzq)

-1st place prize is 100$! Will be sent through PayPal from me. (Similar services also avaiable if requested).
-Time will be 6:00PM EaSTern time (3:00PM PST) November 15th!
-Current particpant amount: 6
-Standard ruleset (3 stock, no items/assists, Final Boss, Double Elimination Bracket)
-All matches will be on netplay and hosted on a parsec.

This thread is ridiculously far behind on the meta so you might want to ask meta-related questions and study characters more.

Current tier list. Take it like any other tier list, a guideline/discussion starter and not as who you should play and x is better than y.

Wiki has characters filled out to some extent. Mostly percents and power cubes.

Last edited:

Amaterachu1

Smash Cadet
Bop, here's my new tier list right now

This is somewhat reflecting how it is now, but at the same time there's the whole "potential" thing knowing that if someone decided to play them they will do good.
S- has K'nuckles and Jack. K'nuckles is a frame data god for no reason and probably one of the kings of edgeguarding on final boss. Jack also has great damage output and could do some crazy combos and may actually be the hardest character to pick up. Also as it stands now, Jack can't beat the top 4 very well, doesn't help that he can't counter lasers, there's a chance he's really just A at best.
B- are characters who feel significantly better than C and are actually just pretty much B tier. Right now B tiers rely on cheesey abusive attacks and can only ever move down right now. Buttercup and Scotsman can be developed more and place at least on top of all of them. Honestly they should've been B+ on here.

Now reflecting the old tier list put on this thread,
When Grim mama-say mama-saws you from 0 to 72% with a single button and he's not in the top, but Bubbles with her only kill move being a single unreliable one that kills at an above average percent is top. I can at least see why someone would place Grim lower (please dont say his PTE is bad lol), just don't see why Bubbles is so high other than "Powerpuff go haha, Blossoms is freezes and dash around so others are same"
As stated Blossom has a ton of moves that combo finish into thunder which kills pretty early, making it her best move. Buttercup is the horizontal version, with very average stuff going on having the shotos are mid tier curse, and Bubbles is all over the place. Her moveset sends out away from her so often that she can't really do much combo wise other than lasering/aerials into up/side smash attack. The crazy part is, Blossom attacks much faster than Bubbles, even Buttercup is just around the same speed and they both do much more damage than Bubbles, who has the third lowest damage output average on all characterss in the game (though removing her weaker moves make her average). That's not to say she can't do anything, she has the best damaging aerials of all Powerpuffs at least and her PTE can break through shield or some weird hax if you just stare at them for awhile, she even has her own cute little super jump tech that nobody has practiced.
Bubbles lasering is def not the best move in the game when it gives the opponent cubes, enabling them to kill earlier than someone who already has trouble killing. Laser is always treated as a close/mid range move because of this, thus the laser > laser > up smash (or up air, side smash, etc.) combo I like which generates Bubbles a bunch of cubes for her to collect. You cant camp with them because they have such ****ty knockback, it's a diagonal angle so opponents can just run away from it if they want to (making Bubbles have to inch closer and play their game) or even close in underneath Bubbles and counterattack her terrible blindspot, and it will eventually send foes in front of Bubbles anyway forcing another move to be used if at all, always a combo tool. Then you look at characters like Numbuh One and especially Mojo Jojo who are other multi-jump characters one even being on par with Blossom's speed and damage if not better, and they have better ranged options and you start to see why Bubbles is just not that good at all. Good luck "closing in" on Aku with medicore range options (at least she short though) and having your unique trait being "I can't kill, but I have the fastest run speed!" instead of "I deal the most amount of damage in the game and have a frame 2 fair and average attack speed so I'm just broken" or "I'm Melee Jigglypuff with lasers" or "Mama say mama saw mama give you 72%" or "Hi, I'm just bs and get a ton of cubes lol"
But everyone got their weaknesses, that's why I love this game. All the (good) characters feel extremely powerful and broken but none are necessarily better than the other.

And now every single video where Bubbles was used. Try to VOD us and gimme some ideas here. I hope I can revive a discussion here.

Last edited:
Top Bottom