• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important Carefully Ask PPMD about the Tiara Guy

D

Deleted member

another good tool is a really well placed autocancel nair. normally nair in neutral is bad because anyone can punish the L cancel lag and the autocancel window is good but not enough to beat basic shield use. nair is good vs luigi and ICs because of the shield pushback, but then against luigi usually you want fair more, which just leaves ICs. even then the nair is safe, but they can punish you after. as a marth, one of your most valuable tools is action > dash sequencing, which applies here but ICs are well equipped to chase your dash away with their WD use. anyway, nair is also worth exploring, but i never really did settle the aforementioned nuances that also go with it.

PedXing

Smash Rookie
Super noob question but, PP, or anyone, I recently started playing again and realised how difficult I find it to dash dance into position to space myself for aerials and dtilts.

Is there a way to practice this, or does this just come with time and experience?

bts.mongoose

Smash Cadet
another good tool is a really well placed autocancel nair. normally nair in neutral is bad because anyone can punish the L cancel lag and the autocancel window is good but not enough to beat basic shield use. nair is good vs luigi and ICs because of the shield pushback, but then against luigi usually you want fair more, which just leaves ICs. even then the nair is safe, but they can punish you after. as a marth, one of your most valuable tools is action > dash sequencing, which applies here but ICs are well equipped to chase your dash away with their WD use. anyway, nair is also worth exploring, but i never really did settle the aforementioned nuances that also go with it.
Hey, I know this is a little off topic, but it still falls in line with the general goal of improvement. Have you read Alex's Puff Stuff: Improved Drastic Improvement? And what are your thoughts on it?

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Remember when everyone wanted to approaching Nair and we had to tell them not to ever do it? Good times.

I agree though Nair is pretty great when spaced but it isn't something people should heavily rely on except situationally/with good conditioning.

Chesstiger2612

Smash Lord
Should nair really be considered a bad neutral game move? Shallow nair approaches are obviously bad but why is it bad for example when used as zoning move without momentum towards them, or as pivot surprise weapon after a dash back?
Obviously if they position themselves very well you can get punished, but that can happen with basically anything if they get such a read. You just have to make sure that there is considerable risk for them in being right outside of the nair range, by having threat zones around your landing positions (that's why you don't use it as approaching tool, no threat zones in front of your landing position).
Please correct me if I'm wrong on any of this or if I'm missing an important fact.

About full jump against Ice Climbers, I would usually abstain from using it, but from my understanding, it is fairly good when you are already in a bad situation, because if you short hop then your landing timing is very predictable and something as simple as WD away-> WD in when you land ->d-smash or even grab will work out for the ICs a lot of the time.
The full jump won't magically make you return to a neutral position but the longer air time and more drift options will make it harder to cover your landing, while chasing you with an aerial will allow you to DI away and allow for a safe landing usually since ICs have horrible horizontal airbourne movement.

Can a shield stop nair be used as option select? The idea would be to intrude somewhat in your opponents zone and use it as soon as you expect a hit. If you shield their move the jump won't come out and you will do a shieldgrab, which isn't as bad here as the forward movement you did before messes up spacings and approaching shieldgrab is usually not what one expects. If your shield isn't hit you will do the nair which is a useful zoning move in the situation imo. The obvious problem could be if they hit you just after you release the shield or if they DD around it and manage to avoid the nair.

Another thing I want to mention is that I observe a lot of instances in Melee I would refer to as "quantized approach timings", where a player is able to put out an attack at a certain place at specific times, but has at least a hard time doing it inbetween those. The most common example would be someone dashing at you: They can do a direct attack, or build in some sort of delaying technique like a WD in place or a short dash back before continuing to dash at you. The point is, in this case the attack would happen already considerably later, and any option you choose with a short vulnerable window is relatively safe if this vulnerable window is placed right into the time window between direct and delayed approach.
Keep in mind there are a lot of theoretical options to attack at the inbetween timings, like dashing at a slower speed, making the dash flick as short as possible, or jumping and applying backwards momentum while airbourne. It therefore isn't completely safe by any means (especially as most options have two vulnerable windows, a startup and a cooldown), but it forces the opponent to choose out of a limited toolbox and therefore has its merit in my opinion.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

nair is okay in niche situations that pretty much all involve the autocancel window, or acting as a poor mans lingering hit when dashdance isnt in the picture for whatever reason. it takes a lot of time and experience to figure out when that is. tldr copy dr peepee if youre not sure.

the criticisms of my guide are debatable, and i dont consider myself a very good writer. that said, his rehash certainly doesnt actually address any of those criticisms. it also has some loaded advice that i dont like. i generally dont write what is strictly correct, i write what the player needs to see at his given level. a top player could read my guide and find holes everywhere, and thats fine. the purpose of drastic improvement is to get you to where you know what those holes are. reasonably quickly.

edit:

im actually reading this guide now rather than just skimming it in a waiting room. some of this stuff awful.

"The greatest thing about competition is that there is a built-in feedback mechanism called results. If you win then your gameplan was good enough to win. If you lose then it wasn’t. If you go 3-2 then it was a 3-2 gameplan. If you get 5th it was a 5th place gameplan."

the ****? how incredibly intellectually dishonest. this has more potential to cause harm than good imo

Last edited by a moderator:

Zorcey

Smash Journeyman
Dr Peepee Dr Peepee I get punished a lot when dashdancing in the neutral, and I often find myself cornered at the ledge when I had an advantage like 3 seconds before. I've noticed this sort of thing tends to happen to me when I don't know exactly why I'm using a move in a given situation, so I feel like I should reevaluate the basics to give myself a better perspective.

Because of that, kind of a twofold question for you: First, why should a Marth dashdance? Second, could you explain how you came to that answer? Like, when you're trying to evaluate the theory behind a move, and why it works and all, what's your process?

Kaoak

Smash Cadet
What are my best options once I am grabbed by a Sheik to minimize her followup potential off of down throw?

AirFair

Marth tho
What are my best options once I am grabbed by a Sheik to minimize her followup potential off of down throw?
DI it slightly behind her, since her only immediate followup after is using utilt, which you can sdi out. That's one of the best ways I know.

D

Deleted member

scream directly in the opponents face as loud as you can and make sudden violent movements. better than any DI

Reuental

Smash Rookie
Dr Peepee Dr Peepee Hey yo, I have recently been studying a lot of your marth vs fox sets and whenever a fox player misses a tech you just patiently stand next to them and wait for them to pick a option then grab them. Do you have a process for covering every option? I am having a lot of trouble covering normal get up shine and get up attack, but pro fox players don't seem to challenge you with this when they get into this situation and most often opt to roll. Are there small animation differences between get up attack and normal get up that I have yet to catch on to? Or do you simply play a 50/50 when it comes to covering normal get up/get up attack?

Zorcey

Smash Journeyman
scream directly in the opponents face as loud as you can and make sudden violent movements. better than any DI
I've found it more optimal to just kick the controller out of their hand instead. You can take at least two stocks while they run across the room to go pick it up.

ridemyboat

Smash Apprentice
Instead of joking around about DI on the downthrow, what are your best options? I don't think anyone knows the followups that Sheik has on marth by percentage and di angle, because the first hit following dthrow is so free for Sheik mains. There are some vague rules like don't DI in at high percent.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Dr Peepee Dr Peepee I get punished a lot when dashdancing in the neutral, and I often find myself cornered at the ledge when I had an advantage like 3 seconds before. I've noticed this sort of thing tends to happen to me when I don't know exactly why I'm using a move in a given situation, so I feel like I should reevaluate the basics to give myself a better perspective.

Because of that, kind of a twofold question for you: First, why should a Marth dashdance? Second, could you explain how you came to that answer? Like, when you're trying to evaluate the theory behind a move, and why it works and all, what's your process?
Your problem is partly what you said, but in terms of decision-making I notice 99.99% of Marths dash away after they get an opening or see one. If you're always DD'ing for a roll in, you're not going to get it very often and be surprised when you actually do and maybe not even cover it then. I would say consider letting the dash forward end, WD down to stop forward momentum, or even SH'ing in place/with drift to control the space/approach, or really anything besides dash away.

To answer your question, Marth should dash(singular) in order to reposition himself quickly, to threaten the opponent with a potential approach/partial approach or to give up stage, and set up for his actions out of the dash(dash attack, run cancel Fsmash/Dtilt, rising Fair, etc).

The way to look at a tool is to look at its properties. Dash is X number of frames and moves you Y distance. It's fast and moves you pretty far for example. Marth also has a low profile when dashing, meaning it could also be used to dodge higher attacks. It can be canceled by another dash. It is the transition before running. And so on. After you've looked at the properties you decide on the best application of the properties. Why cancel your dash with another past the point it has affected your opponent? How can you use the time before running to your advantage with the dash? And so on.

Dr Peepee Dr Peepee Hey yo, I have recently been studying a lot of your marth vs fox sets and whenever a fox player misses a tech you just patiently stand next to them and wait for them to pick a option then grab them. Do you have a process for covering every option? I am having a lot of trouble covering normal get up shine and get up attack, but pro fox players don't seem to challenge you with this when they get into this situation and most often opt to roll. Are there small animation differences between get up attack and normal get up that I have yet to catch on to? Or do you simply play a 50/50 when it comes to covering normal get up/get up attack?
If you struggle with both of those, then I'd say you are reacting too slowly. I position myself where I can't get shield poked by GUA then wait until I see what they will do. I tend to focus on GUA/neutral getup since those are faster but I switch focus to refresh my mind for rolls periodically(if they lay down a while). Outside of all this, it might help to practice the scenario a lot and also keep your energy high so you can react quickly.

Instead of joking around about DI on the downthrow, what are your best options? I don't think anyone knows the followups that Sheik has on marth by percentage and di angle, because the first hit following dthrow is so free for Sheik mains. There are some vague rules like don't DI in at high percent.
DI away mid and mid-high percents(until Fair can kill you anyway). DI slight behind at low percents. Change it up sometimes so Sheik can't set up pseudo combos so easily.

Zorcey

Smash Journeyman
Your problem is partly what you said, but in terms of decision-making I notice 99.99% of Marths dash away after they get an opening or see one. If you're always DD'ing for a roll in, you're not going to get it very often and be surprised when you actually do and maybe not even cover it then. I would say consider letting the dash forward end, WD down to stop forward momentum, or even SH'ing in place/with drift to control the space/approach, or really anything besides dash away.
I think I understand this, so essentially I should try to maintain an advantage by covering the space I have control of already? This makes sense considering what you say afterward about using a dash to reposition yourself quickly - that wouldn't be immediately necessary if you actually have an advantage over the opponent (generally speaking, I guess). I really need to work hard on minimalistic movement/giving every input an explicit purpose.

This kind of makes me think of your general "aggressive patience" style of play. You somehow always manage to be right next to your opponents without often overextending or failing to cover escape options. How are you able to follow your opponents so closely but still react to openings? Is there anything in particular you keep in mind that allows you to juggle watching your own position and your opponent's so precisely?

Uma

Smash Cadet
Hey PP, was wondering if you had any advice for a Marth/Sheik team. I know its not the ideal team but if you had to do it who would be the carry and do you have any thoughts on that particular team or setups they could do? Thanks

Kopaka

Smash Journeyman
This kind of makes me think of your general "aggressive patience" style of play. You somehow always manage to be right next to your opponents without often overextending or failing to cover escape options. How are you able to follow your opponents so closely but still react to openings? Is there anything in particular you keep in mind that allows you to juggle watching your own position and your opponent's so precisely?
https://youtu.be/jrRtAg3QOn8?list=PL_BeA48bYdlJ8Ccl2YwQrR3H84tkryvg2&t=216 Here's my two cents: The last 2 games are a great example of this imo. Marth seems pretty darn scary when he's this close to his opponent :p Again PP makes it look easy. I think you really have to understand the nuances of specific stuff to pull this sort of play off. I mean he's doing it to GOOD players too. We've probably all felt moments of "wow I understand everything" when playing, but we're all humans so on any given day we can be feeling different things, thinking of different strategies or whatever, etc. I think once you accept that everyone has a different idea of what is "right" to them, and start respecting that, you start seeing things more clearly.(but depending on what kind of person you are that can either be really easy or super hard)

https://youtu.be/Rban44PnUZA?list=PL_BeA48bYdlJ8Ccl2YwQrR3H84tkryvg2&t=41 and at the beginning of this match, PP does a similar routine to the beginning of the first dreamland match from before. But look at how things happen differently! $mike does different moves this time, not going to go over EXACTLY what happens differently because the point is simply that its DIFFERENT lol (also I just realized its like four years earlier too so there's that, and PP most likely has a better idea in the later set of how that approach works).

https://youtu.be/wVbgrKvTTA0?list=PL_BeA48bYdlJ8Ccl2YwQrR3H84tkryvg2&t=36 also right around here is a nice example of wavedash in place.

edit: And this one too: https://youtu.be/b2J6oh1wpRg?list=PL_BeA48bYdlJ8Ccl2YwQrR3H84tkryvg2&t=72

More edit: With that last one, the question would be to ask, is the dash away or the dash in making Fox shield? Dash away -> Pivot attack/grab is a common tool with Marth so it could be the dash away. The dash in could make him shield because dash in -> attack or grab is usual too. But I think because the visual cue of Marths dash dance -> anything is so common, wavedash in place throws Fox off. Also because of the shield after firefox onto the stage plays a part in it here too. I think wavedashing in place there prepared him for what could have happened if Fox did anything else instead of just dash -> grab. Like, say Fox spot dodges instead. It's a great tempo change

Last edited:

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Hey PP, was wondering if you had any advice for a Marth/Sheik team. I know its not the ideal team but if you had to do it who would be the carry and do you have any thoughts on that particular team or setups they could do? Thanks
Being able to hit tipper Fsmashes out of Sheik's grab/throws is probably pretty important to get quick kills for this team. Sheik patrolling platforms and using needles with Marth playing grounded gives lots of coverage and angles of attack. Both characters can do pretty good walls so you'll want to 2v1 and kick the partner away reliably. Marth is probably the carry in this team but when possible it can also be helpful to let the opponents hang themselves vs this team. Not sure how viable it is overall but PPU keeps doing phenomenally in teams so I guess it could be pretty great possibly.

This is off the top of my head but it's a bit of my starting thoughts.

D

Deleted member

marths job in teams is to murder people for jumping and to close out early kills with dair/fsmash

---

@ kevin - i was talking to my friends about last time we played project m, and we started marth dittos and run past each other and dtilted, and i paused and we were laughing. and then i told them you picked mario and ***** me, and then put on sunglasses and told me how mario wasnt that good. and then i told them we moneymatched for taco bell and i picked kirby vs your marth and we dtilted each other on dreamland for actually 7 minutes per match. i miss you dude, we need to do a taco bell run lol

srsly tho mario puckers my fanny. fak

Vanitas

Smash Ace
Regarding Marth in teams, I was wondering about that as well. Would people think that ICs and Marth would make a good team? ICs control the ground very well with blizzards, ice blocks and their jab follow ups but due to the chaotic nature of teams I am not sure how well this fares since ICs need space to set these up in the first place. I've been teaming with a Marth and like we have very high variance on our results lol.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
marths job in teams is to murder people for jumping and to close out early kills with dair/fsmash

---

@ kevin - i was talking to my friends about last time we played project m, and we started marth dittos and run past each other and dtilted, and i paused and we were laughing. and then i told them you picked mario and ***** me, and then put on sunglasses and told me how mario wasnt that good. and then i told them we moneymatched for taco bell and i picked kirby vs your marth and we dtilted each other on dreamland for actually 7 minutes per match. i miss you dude, we need to do a taco bell run lol

srsly tho mario puckers my fanny. fak
In that last update before they nerfed everyone Mario was def top 5/3 lol I don't remember which version we played though.

Good times all around thanks for freeze glitching the Falco.

Regarding Marth in teams, I was wondering about that as well. Would people think that ICs and Marth would make a good team? ICs control the ground very well with blizzards, ice blocks and their jab follow ups but due to the chaotic nature of teams I am not sure how well this fares since ICs need space to set these up in the first place. I've been teaming with a Marth and like we have very high variance on our results lol.
I honestly have no idea how ICs works in teams LOL I don't know if I could even guess what to do with that team.

D

Deleted member

as with any teammate with ICs, marths job is to babysit them and enable them to be stupid.

Zorcey

Smash Journeyman
So what do all the Marths in this thread think they need to work on most right now? At an individual level and all, what does everyone believe their gameplay needs for a level up? It could be a macrogame or microgame thing, just curious what everyone's thoughts are.

D

Deleted member

playing the game seriously somewhere in the last ten years. im really bad at that

Uma

Smash Cadet
So what do all the Marths in this thread think they need to work on most right now? At an individual level and all, what does everyone believe their gameplay needs for a level up? It could be a macrogame or microgame thing, just curious what everyone's thoughts are.
There are PR players (mostly spacies and peach) that I can/do beat, I make it far in tournaments too as long as I don't run into.. Any Marth. Marth dittos are the bane of my existence because I just rage at how stupid they are and it feels like anyone can beat anyone on accident in that God forsaken matchup.

ridemyboat

Smash Apprentice
For me, in order of priority:

1. General mindset improvement, I feel horrible when I lose and tend to play rigidly when it's with someone who I don't know that well and who is around the same skill level. At the last tournament I went to, I mostly just played friendlies, so for the next one I'm going to try to do as many money matches against people that can help me gain perspective before sitting down for friendlies.
2. Work on punish game, especially off tech chases against peach, sheik and falcon and edgeguarding.
3. Figure out my personal tendencies and learn to identify what my opponent thinks my tendencies are on the fly so that I can mix it up. In particular, my recovery is bad.
4. Figure out the tendencies of players on the PR for my region by studying VODs. Interested in recovery preferences, how they get out of the corner, and how they convince people to respect their space.

Last edited:

Kopaka

Smash Journeyman
Really getting to know the kind of decisions I tend to make. You kind of have to study yourself while you play, might be a weird concept but yeah.

Zorcey

Smash Journeyman
Really getting to know the kind of decisions I tend to make. You kind of have to study yourself while you play, might be a weird concept but yeah.
It's not really that weird. If you think about it everyone regardless of their skill level is able to play this game, at least at a superficial level. It's being able to understand patterns - masking your own and exploiting your opponents' - that really gives you an edge over other players in a practical sense.

Last edited:

Life

Smash Hero
My first national, Olympus, is in a week. What should I be doing to prep?

EDIT: I guess that's kind of a broad question. Pools aren't up yet so I don't even have a real goal in mind in terms of placing (I'm not sure who I can expect to beat or whether I can make it out, in other words). I want to have a lot of fun, meet new people, play lots of smash, and rep my region. Those are less concrete, though.

I guess that's my first issue: how do I go about setting goals for this event? Should I even have one, in results terms? I know focusing too hard on concrete results can lead to unnecessary stress and pressure.

I'm going for PM primarily, but I'm familiar enough with Melee that I'll take Melee-specific advice as well (I'll just find ways to apply it to the different environment). If I didn't respect that, well, I wouldn't be here, would I?

Last edited:

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Setting goals for results and such is fine. Setting them differently, if at all, is different for different people so you should really just do what you think is best. Regardless of whatever you set you'll have a benchmark for how you want future performances to go after this first national.

Narakayle

Smash Rookie
Hi Kevin, I play a more m2k-esque marth its kinda a little bit of movement base and more punish/grab based, maybe Im just still too new to know if thats just normal Marth but, I have trouble with people that play campy, I just can't not stop myself from challenging them, what do you recommend to mend this mindset/playstyle problem?

Zorcey

Smash Journeyman
So I just got kicked out of Leffen's stream for trying to discuss the relationship between option coverage and reactions and risk/reward in chat lol. I want to learn more about this tho, so I thought I'd bring it up on the Marth board. Kind of want Dr Peepee Dr Peepee especially to give his thoughts on this.

In theory, covering multiple potential actions from your opponent with just one of your own is superior to a reaction that covers just one of those, isn't it? If an opponent dashes towards you, and you had some sort of hypothetical move that covered every option they had out of that dash, it's better to just prepare to use that move in advance rather than try and react to whatever they ultimately end up choosing, right? (I'm not sure coverage/reactions are even this distinct tho, considering you had to react to their dash prior to deciding what to cover in the first place.)

But that's obviously not a very practical example. So what if you have an opponent dashing towards you again, but instead of covering all their options, your hypothetical move covers all but two of their options. But if they pick either of these two options, and you could successfully react and punish them, you could start a combo that might end their stock, whereas if you cover what are the majority of their actions, you would just get a few extra percent. In this case... which is better?

What I don't know is whether a player should generally prioritize "safe" coverage that covers as many moves as possible, simply because they have a higher chance of success (in a vacuum), or if they should prepare themselves to react to a possible move or number of moves that, if punished, might net a higher reward. Should you depend on your reactions that much? Idk if you really can generalize this since Melee is so dynamic (or if you could just characterize this simply as various options with different risk/reward and probabilities of success) but I thought it was interesting, and could potentially change how I plan strategies.

EDIT: I had equivocated some terminology in this post - amended to be clear.

Last edited:

Reuental

Smash Rookie
In theory, an option select, where you're covering multiple potential actions from your opponent with just one of your own, is superior to a reaction that covers just one of those, isn't it? If an opponent dashes towards you, and you had some sort of hypothetical move that covered every option they had out of that dash, it's better to just prepare to use that move in advance rather than try and react to whatever they ultimately end up choosing, right? (I'm not sure option selects and reactions are even this distinct tho, considering you had to react to their dash prior to the option select in the first place.)
That is not an option select, There is a precise definition a of option select and you using this term in this context is not correct. The only instance of an option select in melee that I can recall is when pikachu up bs to the ledge from above and then presses up. If the ledge isn't occupied pikachu snaps to it and if it is pikachu goes up and floats to the stage.

Zorcey

Smash Journeyman
That is not an option select, There is a precise definition a of option select and you using this term in this context is not correct. The only instance of an option select in melee that I can recall is when pikachu up bs to the ledge from above and then presses up. If the ledge isn't occupied pikachu snaps to it and if it is pikachu goes up and floats to the stage.
I thought an option select was an action that covers multiple options from the opponent with just one of your own? Like if you ftilt as Marth and your opponent could potentially dash into it and get hit, or maybe they clank it with a move of their own or something - not the best example but you get the idea. Just an input that results in a different output depending on an opponent's action. Not really integral to the point of the post, but I don't like using terms incorrectly, so if that's not correct could you explain/link the definition?

Top Bottom