• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important Carefully Ask PPMD about the Tiara Guy

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
ok so basically im on my phone traveling for the week so my typing is going to suck and idgaf.

playing against a given character in X vs Y as a MU is often some combination of "as X i should do <things>" and "i should do Y things against this character", ie you play partially for your character and against theirs. basic example lets say fox vs sheik, as fox you want to do shine > upsmash, and against sheik you want to abuse her poor approaches. to some degree the things youre doing will fit both but im trying to isolate the idea so go with it. marths tools are somewhat like CFs where theyre either incredibly good or totally dog**** but CF is more obvious about it. marth is ****ing amazing when his dashdancing is good or he can attack your attacks. against marth, it is generally better to pick the latter idea where you play against marth more than you play as your character. this is important, and once you have an idea of how to play against marth it will transfer between characters more than say the fox MU would.

the first rule of marth mirrors is to not jump. marth is incredibly good at killing and very poor defensively, his combo weight, recovery, oos options, etc are simply not that good. you should never put yourself in a position where the other marth can kill you for no reason and randomly jumping is a big one that people suck at. with two good marths this turns the game (correctly) into a strong dashdance mirror. in a dashdance mirror with fox CF marth, these characters take stage quickly and can randomly kill you for it, so its okay to dashdance "looser" and be a little bit more willing to forfeit small amounts of stage to avoid a proper conversion from the opponent. marth is well equipped to take stage back so the loss isnt so big a deal. as much as you definitely want to take stage, its okay and even preferable to not play tight as ****. third, in the DD mirror, because both players are moving you will frequently find that its hard for either player to land a proper hit. because of this, you will always want to have buffer for asdi down in and out of your movement so when you get clipped you can randomly grab them for it with a fake cc grab and kill them. this is particularly strong in the marth mirror because marth can get brutally punished even if he hits his attacks specifically because he landed the wrong part of the attack on the blade. sometimes in the marth mirror if i find that the other marth can dashdance as well as me i'll just let them hit me and kill them for it. not the best idea but you should be aware of it since the DD mirror basically nullifies true CC as an option (and if they try to true CC you, dashdancing and good dtilt use still beats it).

a really good marth mirror then becomes a really strange game where neither player ever blocks or dodges or jumps or true crouches, because all of them are bad vs good DD use. its just two players that never jump trying to grab or dtilt the dash away part of the DD and not landing good hits until one of them finally gets a good conversion and randomly murders the other on the spot.

will add more later but lets get a discussion going

@PPMD
I find Marth can't take stage back so easily if he's somewhat or fully cornered, but otherwise agreed on giving up stage sometimes. And I've tried to mess with ASDI down while dashing but haven't found a good method so I'd love to be enlightened if someone knows one. The only time I can use ASDI down out of movement is when I know I'm somewhat outplayed and will be hit so I preemptively hold down early.

I believe that a central role in Marth dittos is internalization of the rules you mentioned to the point you understand the exceptions well. Basically I believe jumping has its place to zone but even approach because the opponent is looking to Dtilt/grab the approach so much and you can move right over that by jumping. Not only does this complicate neutral more for your opponent but it makes your standard tools stronger. To me, a good Marth ditto is one in which both players understand the rules and have their own preferences with regards to breaking them. It's more dynamic and nuanced, but at the same time fueled by a strict building on top of the foundational Marth theory.

I know you more or less know this since you mentioned exceptions before, but I felt it important to bring up now.

Hey PP,

would you say you grab a lot as a player? I'm wondering how this can effect a Marth main cause his grab is definitely the best punish/option in a lot of situations. especially against space animals.

Taytertot

Smash Ace
Dr Peepee Dr Peepee ive been thinking about a theory for a while and im curious what your opinion would be. As im sure youre aware, there are playstyles that tend to beat other playstyles and tend to lose to others (not to say that this is always the case). As a result ive been curious of different ways that one might be able to influence their own mentality so that they alter their playstyle to one that is strong vs how their opponent plays. I also happen to be a musician and feel that music has a drastic effect on a person's way of thinking. So, im curious what your thoughts would be about the theory that, using different types of music, one could mold their playstyle to one that plays around their opponent well.

i.e. lets say a player has a decent walling out game but if someone gets in on them then they get very flustered and lose a lot of composure. If that is the case then maybe a more aggressive mango-esque playstyle of messing with said player's actions to open them up and then go off on them would be an appropriate approach. So then my theory would ask, what kind of music should one listen to in order to get into a mindset that makes them play/think in a similar way to mango.

I'm curious if you think this is a reasonable idea and your thoughts on whether this idea tries to generalize other players' gameplay too much.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Hey PP,

would you say you grab a lot as a player? I'm wondering how this can effect a Marth main cause his grab is definitely the best punish/option in a lot of situations. especially against space animals.
I figure I probably grab an appropriate amount, but maybe with Falco I grab a little too much.

Dr Peepee Dr Peepee ive been thinking about a theory for a while and im curious what your opinion would be. As im sure youre aware, there are playstyles that tend to beat other playstyles and tend to lose to others (not to say that this is always the case). As a result ive been curious of different ways that one might be able to influence their own mentality so that they alter their playstyle to one that is strong vs how their opponent plays. I also happen to be a musician and feel that music has a drastic effect on a person's way of thinking. So, im curious what your thoughts would be about the theory that, using different types of music, one could mold their playstyle to one that plays around their opponent well.

i.e. lets say a player has a decent walling out game but if someone gets in on them then they get very flustered and lose a lot of composure. If that is the case then maybe a more aggressive mango-esque playstyle of messing with said player's actions to open them up and then go off on them would be an appropriate approach. So then my theory would ask, what kind of music should one listen to in order to get into a mindset that makes them play/think in a similar way to mango.

I'm curious if you think this is a reasonable idea and your thoughts on whether this idea tries to generalize other players' gameplay too much.
Well, in my view, playstyles only can beat one another because of two reasons. The first reason is one style emphasizes positions and traits that are not well understood by the other style. The second and usually related/consequential aspect of this is that the one getting exposed is being exposed because they do not like the thinking or feelings associated with their opponent's style. If these two things are true, then the two-pronged way to attack any opponent would be to emphasize positions or playstyles(high/low energy, defensive/aggressive, close/far, etc) that the opponent does not like, in addition to getting yourself into the exact state of mind that runs counter to theirs/accept parts of yourself and strengthen those that the opponent will not. For part of getting into the exact mindset, music would definitely be a great choice, though not the only one. I agree it can have powerful effects on the mind, and that's why it's great.

I actually was thinking about this A LOT before Apex 2015 but didn't get to carry my thinking out far enough because of my health issues. It's something I want to resume work on when I'm better.

What are Mew2king and Mang0's Marths doing "wrong" in neutral?
M2K's is not layered enough in my opinion. And for Mango, as much as I disagree with how much he jumps I would rather say he desperately needs to focus on his punish game.

Taytertot

Smash Ace
I figure I probably grab an appropriate amount, but maybe with Falco I grab a little too much.

Well, in my view, playstyles only can beat one another because of two reasons. The first reason is one style emphasizes positions and traits that are not well understood by the other style. The second and usually related/consequential aspect of this is that the one getting exposed is being exposed because they do not like the thinking or feelings associated with their opponent's style. If these two things are true, then the two-pronged way to attack any opponent would be to emphasize positions or playstyles(high/low energy, defensive/aggressive, close/far, etc) that the opponent does not like, in addition to getting yourself into the exact state of mind that runs counter to theirs/accept parts of yourself and strengthen those that the opponent will not. For part of getting into the exact mindset, music would definitely be a great choice, though not the only one. I agree it can have powerful effects on the mind, and that's why it's great.

I actually was thinking about this A LOT before Apex 2015 but didn't get to carry my thinking out far enough because of my health issues. It's something I want to resume work on when I'm better.

M2K's is not layered enough in my opinion. And for Mango, as much as I disagree with how much he jumps I would rather say he desperately needs to focus on his punish game.
interesting. what other ways would you say are effective at getting one into the correct mindset that would also be convenient given a tourney setting? The reason that i think of music first, other then having a passion for it, is that it is incredibly easy to bring to a tourney.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Recalling memories, meditation, self-talk manipulation, watching people act like you want to think online are the first few things I think of. This can be internalized well with the right techniques and also be reinforced in between stocks and games. Nothing is wrong with music, but there could be ways that work better for some people or enhance the effects of music.

Greyson

Smash Apprentice
Would you say that PewPewU and Cactuar have better neutral games? Considering that M2K sees more success with his Marth than the former two, should one conclude that a near flawless punish game is more significant than a solid neutral game?

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
It's a bit difficult to easily say in all comparisons because you also have to look at how they win neutral. Some people may win neutral with hits or hits in places that don't convert well. I would say it's hard to separate the two, and to be good you'd have to be good at both, but I think the majority of players could improve their game easier with punish than with neutral.

AirFair

Marth tho
PPMD, do you count jiggs' jumps, or do you just not care and refuse to let her land freely regardless?

(miss you)
Not pp, but I've heard the answer for this. He's definitely said to count jumps before. Obviously you can't let her land, but as she uses jumps, it's harder for her to be mobile in the air. After that, the only options she has left are all compromising (land with an aerial that can be beaten by marth's range, airdoge (easily beaten if you aren't in lag from swinging with an fsmash or something, or throw out a risky aerial coming down (also beaten by range) which is why it's important to count them so you know when they are strong and weak in the air.

Last edited:

Kopaka

Smash Journeyman
Dr Peepee Dr Peepee If there's one matchup I'd pay to see you play, it's Marth vs Falco. Though we have M2K sets for that matchup anyways, I still feel a bit in the dark on rules to follow/rules to break once I've understood them enough. I've read your recent posts, and the ones on shielding, but having you play out examples would be great lol..because powershielding can be beaten (they can PS back) Sometimes vsing Fox and Sheik seems easier.

edit: I do see that seeing laser heights can be important (dash attacking under high laser) but I definitely don't 'understand'.

Last edited:

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
What on earth can I use cactus/cactuar dashing for? is it fundamentally better for getting out of full run than a wavedash or are there uses for both?

AirFair

Marth tho
Dr Peepee Dr Peepee If there's one matchup I'd pay to see you play, it's Marth vs Falco. Though we have M2K sets for that matchup anyways, I still feel a bit in the dark on rules to follow/rules to break once I've understood them enough. I've read your recent posts, and the ones on shielding, but having you play out examples would be great lol..because powershielding can be beaten (they can PS back) Sometimes vsing Fox and Sheik seems easier.

edit: I do see that seeing laser heights can be important (dash attacking under high laser) but I definitely don't 'understand'.
There are few examples out there, I could link you a few if you want. Either way, it would be cool if he played more of the matchup, but he may just not prefer it. I don't know myself lol

{Lemons}

Smash Rookie
What on earth can I use cactus/cactuar dashing for? is it fundamentally better for getting out of full run than a wavedash or are there uses for both?
If you can do it perfectly it is better than wavedashing in terms of frames committed. You also have different options afterwards as cactuar dashing leaves you in dash and wavedashing leaves you in stand.

Kopaka

Smash Journeyman
I believe I have a better question anyway than how to win vs Falco. Dr Peepee Dr Peepee , (or anyone really lol) I think I'm in a similar situation to this post:
Dr Peepee Dr Peepee , i know this is not a marth related question is more about mentality, but i reaaally need this talk or answer. After some really hard work and studying i was starting to be recognized by my state people and today, actually yesterday its 12 pm :$, i had a big tournament where i was seeded 12th. I was/am really happy about this as it showed my hours and hours of analysis and studying, however when i go to play my first game against a pretty bad rival i freeze, i stop having that laser heavy patient style i have, i feel nervous like i have never felt before, i can usually deal with it but this time was different i went 1-2 in bracket against horrible people and leave the tourney. Now i feel trapped in a box, whats is happening? Is it because i played to much? Has my studying been useless? What am i really working for if all i end up with is my own defeat? I really don't know what to do here... i could say it's just another tourney but that is not going to stop me from playing the game i don't enjoy playing like again... I have gone through a lot of defeats in my competitive careers, but never something so destructive and discouraging. I feel so... Lonely. Again sorry for this not being a marth question.
I know I've since "improved" , but a player from my city who I look up to told me he still thinks I go for hard reads. Now, I used to think that meant I throw out way too many F-Smashes in neutral (which was true) but now that I've begun to see how to get kill setups without just doing that, I've also begun to see that I still go for hard reads even for moves that are "good", and I'm starting to think it sort of "transcends" my game overall. Not just neutral. But this is so...frustrating because I have some solid wins from my region, and I've beaten Santi in a bo3 before. But I still suck. I've improved, but this is not the first time this player has pointed out this habit before. Is it possible to change my entire perspective on the game? I think so, because when I really started practicing seriously for the first time it definitely did. The habit seems to lessen when I'm really in the zone and focused, but I think I need to be good enough to not fall into those habits when I'm not 100% laser focused.

edit: to answer my own question I guess, I'm also leaning on needing to just accept this and play to learn more in friendlies, keep solo practicing stuff that helps, and not really see tourneys as life or death struggles V_V

Last edited:

Tee ay eye

Smash Hero
I believe I have a better question anyway than how to win vs Falco. Dr Peepee Dr Peepee , (or anyone really lol) I think I'm in a similar situation to this post:

I know I've since "improved" , but a player from my city who I look up to told me he still thinks I go for hard reads. Now, I used to think that meant I throw out way too many F-Smashes in neutral (which was true) but now that I've begun to see how to get kill setups without just doing that, I've also begun to see that I still go for hard reads even for moves that are "good", and I'm starting to think it sort of "transcends" my game overall. Not just neutral. But this is so...frustrating because I have some solid wins from my region, and I've beaten Santi in a bo3 before. But I still suck. I've improved, but this is not the first time this player has pointed out this habit before. Is it possible to change my entire perspective on the game? I think so, because when I really started practicing seriously for the first time it definitely did. The habit seems to lessen when I'm really in the zone and focused, but I think I need to be good enough to not fall into those habits when I'm not 100% laser focused.

edit: to answer my own question I guess, I'm also leaning on needing to just accept this and play to learn more in friendlies, keep solo practicing stuff that helps, and not really see tourneys as life or death struggles V_V
If you are getting good mileage off your "reads," you should not cut them out entirely. IMO good Melee requires a good understanding of how to utilize reads and reaction/more guaranteed consistent things.

I was kind of the opposite in terms of development. I always kinda went for things I KNEW and considered reliable/safe, but I was always lacking because I was too afraid to go for more "reads," and my passivity would just become really exploitable in some situations

However, improving at that stuff was not simply a matter of just trying it more and praying to get better. For me, I got much better at going for more swingy reads by 1) understanding the risk reward of various positions and knowing when it is more favorable to go for a read. Essentially, this means that you can go for the swingy reads more whenever they are in the corner. However, in order to make those reads WORK, I had worked on a lot of micro movements to threaten/take space whenever I do have them cornered. Different parts of your game funnel into each other.

However, in this case, the other way I built off this was 2) once I got better at understanding the risk reward of guessing for the big hits in these positions, I would set myself up in ways that threatened to use the big swing to make them feel discouraged to act, and then start applying a more patient/calculated neutral game again. If you condition someone to ignore one of their options/sets of options for just a little bit, it becomes MUCH easier to dance around them and make them feel useless

Last edited:

Tee ay eye

Smash Hero
If you are getting good mileage off your "reads," you should not cut them out entirely. IMO good Melee requires a good understanding of how to utilize reads and reaction/more guaranteed consistent things.

I was kind of the opposite in terms of development. I always kinda went for things I KNEW and considered reliable/safe, but I was always lacking because I was too afraid to go for more "reads," and my passivity would just become really exploitable in some situations

However, improving at that stuff was not simply a matter of just trying it more and praying to get better. For me, I got much better at going for more swingy reads by 1) understanding the risk reward of various positions and knowing when it is more favorable to go for a read. Essentially, this means that you can go for the swingy reads more whenever they are in the corner, but I also worked on a lot of little movements/threats that made them budge slightly when they're in the corner, making them more get scared and do something to get hit by my fsmash.

However, in this case, the other way I built off this was 2) once I got better at understanding the risk reward of guessing for the big hits in these positions, I would set myself up in ways that threatened to use the big swing to make them feel discouraged to act, and then start applying a more patient/calculated neutral game again. If you condition someone to ignore one of their options/sets of options for just a little bit, it becomes MUCH easier to dance around them and make them feel useless
oh, crap, I meant to edit my original post, but I accidentally hit quote instead

my b :X mod pls delete?

Last edited:

Kopaka

Smash Journeyman

However, improving at that stuff was not simply a matter of just trying it more and praying to get better. For me, I got much better at going for more swingy reads by 1) understanding the risk reward of various positions and knowing when it is more favorable to go for a read. Essentially, this means that you can go for the swingy reads more whenever they are in the corner. However, in order to make those reads WORK, I had worked on a lot of micro movements to threaten/take space whenever I do have them cornered. Different parts of your game funnel into each other.

Did not expect to get an answer from you of all people Tai :) Much respect.

"If you are getting good mileage off your "reads," you should not cut them out entirely." - Yes, I agree.

"I was kind of the opposite in terms of development. I always kinda went for things I KNEW and considered reliable/safe, but I was always lacking because I was too afraid to go for more "reads," and my passivity would just become really exploitable in some situations" - I can understand that at least from my own perspective of knowing how I play.

"I had worked on a lot of micro movements to threaten/take space whenever I do have them cornered. Different parts of your game funnel into each other." - Something I do, but not something I shouldn't have to work on because I don't fully understand it consistently. I'll consider this more!

The micro movements part you mentioned, brings me to a similar question. I often find I can't play fast, consistently. We all know how key positioning is to playing Marth, and this Ask.FM post by Squid I find really interesting IMO. http://ask.fm/squidslaugh/answers/1...utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=answer_own#_=_
That can all be translated to Marth. Small incremental movement practice, lots of it...I believe, can lead to being able to play at a standard required to consistently perform well against 'most' players. What do you think of this? I watched you play a bit at EVO wave 2, Tai and I remember how you were moving around the stage. I've often been told "your movement is good" but anytime I see players of a higher caliber than I'm at currently I see a standard that I'm not at yet. SleepyK once mentioned practicing efficiency over speed.

Last edited:

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer

You're a lot closer than you think.

If I had to guess, you have learned a lot about how people will act in certain positions and either do a quick action or series of actions that give you a result that counters what you knowingly suspect they will do. I think it's fine if this is your game to an extent, but of course we want to also know how to set up plays that give us information as we do them. What the solution should be instead is to begin an action OR finish a couple actions that get a response and observe. I'll give an example of both.

An easy example is SH in for an initiating action. If you jump in, the opponent knows you can aerial afterward. This is a way to influence the opponent and you can do valuable things using this ability, including drifting to come in at different times, as well as DJ/waveland back so you can observe how they would have responded to you moving in for free data.

A couple actions that could also get a response and is more zoning-oriented is to dash back and dash forward into the space you previously occupied with Fair/Nair. You control your space and also get to see how the opponent responds to you adjusting space and then keeping it secure. You don't have to aerial later if they try to rush you if they're closer and you could just grab instead as you confirm their approach on your dash back, as an example.

I'm testing a certain way to respond to this so I let me know if you find it useful.

Dr Peepee Dr Peepee I don't know if you've seen this video yet, but it's actually amazing https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbaM6OB8Hxc (Posting it here because I think everybody will appreciate it and the thread tends to be chill anyways)
LOL sick

Kopaka

Smash Journeyman
You're a lot closer than you think.

If I had to guess, you have learned a lot about how people will act in certain positions and either do a quick action or series of actions that give you a result that counters what you knowingly suspect they will do. I think it's fine if this is your game to an extent, but of course we want to also know how to set up plays that give us information as we do them. What the solution should be instead is to begin an action OR finish a couple actions that get a response and observe. I'll give an example of both.

An easy example is SH in for an initiating action. If you jump in, the opponent knows you can aerial afterward. This is a way to influence the opponent and you can do valuable things using this ability, including drifting to come in at different times, as well as DJ/waveland back so you can observe how they would have responded to you moving in for free data.

A couple actions that could also get a response and is more zoning-oriented is to dash back and dash forward into the space you previously occupied with Fair/Nair. You control your space and also get to see how the opponent responds to you adjusting space and then keeping it secure. You don't have to aerial later if they try to rush you if they're closer and you could just grab instead as you confirm their approach on your dash back, as an example.

I'm testing a certain way to respond to this so I let me know if you find it useful.

LOL sick
To the first sentence, YES absolutely. I agree. This is where I'm at: I have answers to solutions that will work on players up to a certain level. "but of course we want to also know how to set up plays that give us information as we do them." And to that, Yes...I think the goal for me should certainly be how to learn to do that. Because the bottom line for me is: I have answers to solutions for situations I can see up to a certain skill level. If my main practice partner is playing Falco (he's a top 100 echelon player, and has many more hours of experience than I do currently), and I up throw him, I actually freeze up. And I've discussed this with him and we've both agreed that it's because he has access to more options to escape, and can potentially 0 to death me from one of my own throws. Now if I up-throw someone who's not of that caliber, things are way easier for me and I don't have to think about as many options. This is also the same for things like edgeugarding, punishing/knowing what to do after hitting him with any move.

So I started thinking...how do I make my self more well rounded? I don't want to just have answers to a small amount of situations. I can punish him for things that I know already, though I do have to work a bit harder to get them. BUT - I've started thinking that that's not necessarily good enough. Because I don't believe I have a large..."set of tools" or a "way to go about doing a set of actions to understand what the next step is" in many parts of the game (edgeguard, punish, neutral). I believe my current set of tools only works up until a point. "What the solution should be instead is to begin an action OR finish a couple actions that get a response and observe." - This is what I'd like to understand. If I do a Nair in place, different players will act differently based on previous experience and whatever the size of their understanding of the game is. But on MY end, currently, if I did that Nair, it's possible I actually don't know what I'm looking for. So...I think I need to learn exactly WHAT I'm trying to observe.

If I go into a match, and start dashing into a space I had just done a Fair in, there's a chance I can still get hit unless I understand the action. Unless I understand the safe spacing, and the safe timing depending on where they're at currently. I don't think I should just be doing things for the sake of it "being good". I think I should choose those moves to get a response based on exactly where my opponent and I are on stage. Dash Dancing is GOOD, but it's only as good as how well the player understands why they're doing it in the first place.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
To the first sentence, YES absolutely. I agree. This is where I'm at: I have answers to solutions that will work on players up to a certain level. "but of course we want to also know how to set up plays that give us information as we do them." And to that, Yes...I think the goal for me should certainly be how to learn to do that. Because the bottom line for me is: I have answers to solutions for situations I can see up to a certain skill level. If my main practice partner is playing Falco (he's a top 100 echelon player, and has many more hours of experience than I do currently), and I up throw him, I actually freeze up. And I've discussed this with him and we've both agreed that it's because he has access to more options to escape, and can potentially 0 to death me from one of my own throws. Now if I up-throw someone who's not of that caliber, things are way easier for me and I don't have to think about as many options. This is also the same for things like edgeugarding, punishing/knowing what to do after hitting him with any move.

So I started thinking...how do I make my self more well rounded? I don't want to just have answers to a small amount of situations. I can punish him for things that I know already, though I do have to work a bit harder to get them. BUT - I've started thinking that that's not necessarily good enough. Because I don't believe I have a large..."set of tools" or a "way to go about doing a set of actions to understand what the next step is" in many parts of the game (edgeguard, punish, neutral). I believe my current set of tools only works up until a point. "What the solution should be instead is to begin an action OR finish a couple actions that get a response and observe." - This is what I'd like to understand. If I do a Nair in place, different players will act differently based on previous experience and whatever the size of their understanding of the game is. But on MY end, currently, if I did that Nair, it's possible I actually don't know what I'm looking for. So...I think I need to learn exactly WHAT I'm trying to observe.

If I go into a match, and start dashing into a space I had just done a Fair in, there's a chance I can still get hit unless I understand the action. Unless I understand the safe spacing, and the safe timing depending on where they're at currently. I don't think I should just be doing things for the sake of it "being good". I think I should choose those moves to get a response based on exactly where my opponent and I are on stage. Dash Dancing is GOOD, but it's only as good as how well the player understands why they're doing it in the first place.
I'll go paragraph by paragraph.

It sounds to me in your example with your friend you just need to learn more about the punish specifically. So I'd recommend just playing with him and only doing Uthrow followups and if he gets out then just reset the situation and try to figure out what happens. This is a much better strategy for growth than playing and freezing up, I think you'll agree =p

When you analyze matches, be sure to consider ALL possible outcomes and not just what the opponent is likely to do. For example, if I see an opponent Falco on a platform and I SH in and this Falco always shields or drops through the platform, that doesn't mean that's all I should prepare for. The Falco can dash/WD/SH/FH and of course combine options in ways that your opponent or any opponent does not often do. To be prepared for what your opponent could do at any time gives you strength in common matchup situations and this is something I recommend doing on your own with analysis and again with your training partner in neutral. Play a position out until a combo-starter is solidly landed and then reset. Discuss as needed.

You're going to get hit even if you have a terrific understanding. That just takes time in any new set until you can organize information about your opponent. Don't stress over getting hit sometimes so much as understanding WHY each hit happens. It sounds like you're putting pressure on yourself to have knowledge at all times but if you cut yourself some slack and freshly examine what's going on you'll be able to figure it out I'm sure.

AirFair

Marth tho

I'm sure a good amount of situational awareness comes from experience, though studying videos can help you see how a lot of the more common ones are beaten, as well as how people tend to respond to certain actions, but as mentioned above, considering other good options lets you position yourself better as you approach certain situations. I don't think you should ever have any problems uthrowing a Falco, as the chaingrab takes away all options when done right, and you should be able to threaten his defensive options in the air without putting yourself at risk of getting hit. I may be misunderstanding what you wrote though, but I'd be cool hearing more about that, since it interests me.

I'll give you my interpretation of what he said above.
What the solution should be instead is to begin an action OR finish a couple actions that get a response and observe.
I've actually heard about this recently, and have started trying to use it in my game. Basically, the way I see it is that it's 2 or 3 actions that you can build off of or mix up. To give an answer as to what you look for, you want to find an intent, or a commitment, in my opinion.

A good example that I can give is short dash back > long dash forward > rc dtilt. When you do EACH movement, there will be an intent and most likely a response associated with it. The dash away serves to coerce an opponent to come forward, and then long dash in to threaten a dtilt, which comes next if they don't jump, which is why the long dash is important. At each point in the above "String", you can get a response, and adjust accordingly. Your play may seem a bit slower, but when you know what you are doing with every movement, you aren't really losing anything, since I believe you will have a much better handle on your space. When an opponent sees these movements, you can observe what they might try, or what they do.

Let's say that when you do the dash back, the opponent decides to run right at you to overshoot. As PP mentioned above, you don't have to do the long dash in if you have already confirmed a commitment, and instead, react accordingly, whether you pivot fair or run in grab. If you see them moving forward, and not committing, then you try your dash forward to see if they will back up. Then, if they don't try and jump to a platform or throw out a risky defensive move you can punish, then you dtilt them. In this way, you build a lot of threat in your movements, since you are able to intercept whatever they do, as well as force them to give up their positions.

Obviously I need to start using these movements more, but so far, I think that's how the thought process goes.

Kaoak

Smash Cadet
I have a few questions, these are all specifically pertaining to M2K's Marth, which I find very unorthodox, versus Fox. I originally wrote up a long multi-paragraph review of some things concerning neutral game and dtilt usage for different Marths but I figured I'd scrap it and go for something a little bit less imposing.

1a) How does M2K get away with using so many unsafe grounded options in the neutral game, like fsmash, dash attack and ftilt to such great success? Does this have something to do with their ability to cover short hops unlike dtilt?
1b) How does M2K get away with NEVER using dtilt in neutral and remain amazing in the Fox matchup while most Marths consider it a staple? He seriously never uses it except to pressure a cornered player or cover ledge while edgeguarding.
1c) How does M2K get away with spending so much time near the ledge, on the ledge, or in the air?

(I noticed a lot of these things while studying M2K vs SFAT at Shine & CCC)

2) I've noticed a growing trend of Marths using approaching drift back nairs recently, which I originally assumed was just a Mango thing but then I noticed Mew2King using it as an absolute staple in his neutral game vs SFAT. when do you think this is useful vs Fox, Falco and Sheik in particular?

Last edited:

Chesstiger2612

Smash Lord
A good example that I can give is short dash back > long dash forward > rc dtilt. When you do EACH movement, there will be an intent and most likely a response associated with it. The dash away serves to coerce an opponent to come forward, and then long dash in to threaten a dtilt, which comes next if they don't jump, which is why the long dash is important. At each point in the above "String", you can get a response, and adjust accordingly. Your play may seem a bit slower, but when you know what you are doing with every movement, you aren't really losing anything, since I believe you will have a much better handle on your space. When an opponent sees these movements, you can observe what they might try, or what they do.
I've got a question myself: To me, the dash back's purpose always was to cover the situation that the opponent attacks in that particular space, even if it is not incredibly likely, because the risk-reward is skewed in your favour (a potential grab against giving up a bit of space). Also, the dash back can serve a potential prophylactic funcion, to avoid getting too far in your opponent's threat zone which could in you having to put up the shield to not get hit.
If the attack you look out for does not happen, the opponent has a range of options as he registers your dash back, out of which taking space carefully is often the prefered one.
If you can often take advantage of this dash in by your opponent, it seems more like they overcommit with it, when in reality, they have made somthing close to a correct read in not attacking before and the pressure on them should decrease.

The intention you associate with the dash back seems to be a different one. Could you elaborate why you think it works that way?

AirFair

Marth tho
I've got a question myself: To me, the dash back's purpose always was to cover the situation that the opponent attacks in that particular space, even if it is not incredibly likely, because the risk-reward is skewed in your favour (a potential grab against giving up a bit of space). Also, the dash back can serve a potential prophylactic funcion, to avoid getting too far in your opponent's threat zone which could in you having to put up the shield to not get hit.
If the attack you look out for does not happen, the opponent has a range of options as he registers your dash back, out of which taking space carefully is often the prefered one.
If you can often take advantage of this dash in by your opponent, it seems more like they overcommit with it, when in reality, they have made somthing close to a correct read in not attacking before and the pressure on them should decrease.

The intention you associate with the dash back seems to be a different one. Could you elaborate why you think it works that way?
When you dash back, you are able to intercept any attack in that space, which is true. However, the purpose of the above movements is not to intercept one particular option, but to anticipate and observe whatever the opponent does. You are right in saying that dash back goes away from the opponent's threat zone, but there shouldn't ever be a point where you accidentally press too far into your opponent's space, as you commit willingly when you do so (dtilt/grab). When considering the string of movements above, it's when your opponent isn't pressured that you dash in, and provide a threat for him to respond to. At that point, you can kind of call it as you see it. The dtilt is meant to make him jump or poke him away from the stage, and then when you have that information on how he likes to handle that String of movements, you have an opportunity to mix up when you do the dtilt.

Though it may seem like you are playing a bit slower, getting to know the meaning of your movements is probably more valuable in the long run.

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero

Yes dash back is a trade-off: relinquish an iota of stage positioning to set up a potential whiff punish if the opponent swings during that interval. We can therefore propose a rule: > You should not utilize a dash back in an instance where you are not currently within the opponent's threat range. This only holds true, however, if your intention is to fight your opponent. If you simply want to run away (camping for a timeout), or frustrate the opponent (abstract game theory / mindgames), the non-spacing-oriented dash back becomes tenable.

A corollary of sorts to this proposition is that, if you can move toward your opponent without putting yourself in their effectively threatened range, you (as a general rule) should. Taking stage for free is good. All of these ideas may require additional presuppositions to be established, but I think that most of the foundation is widely accepted nowadays.

Edit: I thought about it a bit more, and another reason to relinquish stage control occurred to me: you could want to put distance between yourself and the opponent to create a larger "buffer" time to digest the actions that the opponent chooses until they traverse the distance needed to reach you (or vice versa).

Last edited:

Kopaka

Smash Journeyman
I'll go paragraph by paragraph.

It sounds to me in your example with your friend you just need to learn more about the punish specifically. So I'd recommend just playing with him and only doing Uthrow followups and if he gets out then just reset the situation and try to figure out what happens. This is a much better strategy for growth than playing and freezing up, I think you'll agree =p

When you analyze matches, be sure to consider ALL possible outcomes and not just what the opponent is likely to do. For example, if I see an opponent Falco on a platform and I SH in and this Falco always shields or drops through the platform, that doesn't mean that's all I should prepare for. The Falco can dash/WD/SH/FH and of course combine options in ways that your opponent or any opponent does not often do. To be prepared for what your opponent could do at any time gives you strength in common matchup situations and this is something I recommend doing on your own with analysis and again with your training partner in neutral. Play a position out until a combo-starter is solidly landed and then reset. Discuss as needed.

You're going to get hit even if you have a terrific understanding. That just takes time in any new set until you can organize information about your opponent. Don't stress over getting hit sometimes so much as understanding WHY each hit happens. It sounds like you're putting pressure on yourself to have knowledge at all times but if you cut yourself some slack and freshly examine what's going on you'll be able to figure it out I'm sure.
Your diagnosis is terrific, doctor. The main points of the 2nd and 3rd paragraph really struck out to me. " It sounds like you're putting pressure on yourself to have knowledge at all times but if you cut yourself some slack and freshly examine what's going on you'll be able to figure it out I'm sure." Yes, I would absolutely say that's me! This is also MAJOR! I've realized this sort of thing may even be counter-productive to my thinking overall! Which is why often times I feel like *every* input on my controller is "wrong" when I'm practicing with my partner.

Preparing for ALL possible outcomes, and not just what the opponent is likely to do. That is a statement I can definitely aim to learn more about, and reading this post of yours before my tournament last night was very insightful!

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
I have a few questions, these are all specifically pertaining to M2K's Marth, which I find very unorthodox, versus Fox. I originally wrote up a long multi-paragraph review of some things concerning neutral game and dtilt usage for different Marths but I figured I'd scrap it and go for something a little bit less imposing.

1a) How does M2K get away with using so many unsafe grounded options in the neutral game, like fsmash, dash attack and ftilt to such great success? Does this have something to do with their ability to cover short hops unlike dtilt?
1b) How does M2K get away with NEVER using dtilt in neutral and remain amazing in the Fox matchup while most Marths consider it a staple? He seriously never uses it except to pressure a cornered player or cover ledge while edgeguarding.
1c) How does M2K get away with spending so much time near the ledge, on the ledge, or in the air?

2) I've noticed a growing trend of Marths using approaching drift back nairs recently, which I originally assumed was just a Mango thing but then I noticed Mew2King using it as an absolute staple in his neutral game vs SFAT. when do you think this is useful vs Fox, Falco and Sheik in particular?
1a. M2K's strategy is to play back/defensively for a long time. Then when you don't expect him to do anything he will move forward. That's why moves like those connect in addition to being some that catch jumps. It's basic conditioning but done in a macro sense: if you think of me as never approaching for many interactions, I get a free approach eventually.

1b. M2K is making most Foxes approach him, as I explained above. Also, most Foxes look for Dtilt because I do it a lot but also because Fox is usually jumping when Marth moves in. You don't actually need to Dtilt Fox a ton since Fox is already going to jump a lot. Dtilt in my experience is more of a "stop DD/lasering and start jumping" tool than a staple in this matchup.

1c. Short answer: because he practices there more than anyone else and prefers it. Longer answer includes specifics so if you're curious about those then bring em up.

2. This is just like Druggedfox's run forward retreating double Fair. Both tools are good at getting the opponent to respect your dash forward and also getting a free read on their response to it and what happens when you establish a zone. Vs Falco this is hardest to use since a laser can disrupt any longer pattern of activity, but vs Fox and Sheik you can use this any time you're at threatening range and haven't recklessly abused the mixup.

Your diagnosis is terrific, doctor. The main points of the 2nd and 3rd paragraph really struck out to me. " It sounds like you're putting pressure on yourself to have knowledge at all times but if you cut yourself some slack and freshly examine what's going on you'll be able to figure it out I'm sure." Yes, I would absolutely say that's me! This is also MAJOR! I've realized this sort of thing may even be counter-productive to my thinking overall! Which is why often times I feel like *every* input on my controller is "wrong" when I'm practicing with my partner.

Preparing for ALL possible outcomes, and not just what the opponent is likely to do. That is a statement I can definitely aim to learn more about, and reading this post of yours before my tournament last night was very insightful!
That sounds perfect to me, I'm very glad I could help! Keep it up man =)

dreamhouse

Smash Cadet
Dr Peepee Dr Peepee I think one of the biggest changes in the meta since apex 2015 is that everybody is doing the dsdi slide off stuff now on marth's upairs on platforms. I think one of your biggest punish game strengths as marth is that you were really consistent at the upair platform techchase, definitely better than any other top marth imo.

Have you come up with any ideas or counterplay for that? I know Waveland grab is an option if you know the tech roll is coming, but I was wondering if you had any other thoughts/ideas.

FE_Hector

Smash Lord
Dr Peepee Dr Peepee I think one of the biggest changes in the meta since apex 2015 is that everybody is doing the dsdi slide off stuff now on marth's upairs on platforms. I think one of your biggest punish game strengths as marth is that you were really consistent at the upair platform techchase, definitely better than any other top marth imo.

Have you come up with any ideas or counterplay for that? I know Waveland grab is an option if you know the tech roll is coming, but I was wondering if you had any other thoughts/ideas.
I'm relatively sure that the instant utilt works well against the DSDI down tech in place, but if you do the instant utilt then you mix them up really well. To escape the utilts, they've gotta ASDI down and TDI left/right off of the platform.

PedXing

Smash Rookie
Sorry to bring this back to basics, but damn people are abusing roll behind on me and I'm unsure of how to punish. It's like my mind it never expecting it, even though it keeps happening. I guess the obvious punish it to fmash if you predict it?

Chesstiger2612

Smash Lord

To add on what PP said, I think one of the reasons for 1a) and 1b) is Mew2King's proficiency in finding grabs and converting off them. Usually the answer to strategic plays involving unsafe moves in neutral is to "scout for whiffs" (punish the cooldown) and to interrupt (punish the startup), which would mean you either have to dashdance rather close to be positioned close enough to punish a whiff as you register it, while interrupting mostly involves using an aerial and having a good guess on the timing the opponent uses.
If you watch Mew2King play, you will see that he is rather careful about not being interrupted in most cases, for example he rarely jumps when the opponent is very close.
On the other hand, dashdancing close is very risky for M2K's opponent, after all, taking unexpected much space at a time and then grabbing is called the Mew2King-grab.
So to sum it up, his grab setups and follow-ups skew the risk-reward in a way opponents are disencouraged to look for his whiffs, because that would involve being in grab threat zones from time to time (at least from what I've observed).

Sorry to bring this back to basics, but damn people are abusing roll behind on me and I'm unsure of how to punish. It's like my mind it never expecting it, even though it keeps happening. I guess the obvious punish it to fmash if you predict it?
You could use the f-smash as "bridge technology" as long as you don't feel confident enough in your dashdance to position yourself correctly for a dashdance->grab, but in the longrun you should transition to the latter because it doesn't require as much of a commitment while usually being (depending on the situation) at least as rewarding.

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
If they keep rolling behind you, and it keeps working, it means that you are committing to some other move that is putting you in lag. Don't keep f-smashing people in the corner. Try to be more patient and wait for them to make a panic option like roll or jump if they have the frames to do it.

Remember, it ultimately comes down to frame advantage. If somebody is stuck in some animation from doing a move, you can hit them with no risk (other than ASDI down mainly). If they are in an actionable state, then they can roll. Just remember to consider the opponent's options.

Last edited:

PedXing

Smash Rookie
Thanks guys for the knowledge, that really helps, I think mainly I need to practice being confident in my movement like Chesstiger says and to also be patient. In a sense I guess you have to learn to be patient through movement too. It seems like a mountain to climb, but I like a challenge :)

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer

I have some ideas, yeah. One solution will be tech chasing longer and getting kills off of that and this opens up more uthrow onto platform mixups. There is more I have thought about it for it though. I'm not too worried about it!

Tee ay eye

Smash Hero
2. This is just like Druggedfox's run forward retreating double Fair. Both tools are good at getting the opponent to respect your dash forward and also getting a free read on their response to it and what happens when you establish a zone. Vs Falco this is hardest to use since a laser can disrupt any longer pattern of activity, but vs Fox and Sheik you can use this any time you're at threatening range and haven't recklessly abused the mixup.
I've been thinking about/working on this a decent bit, and I'd like to add something

As Marth, your ground game is able to beat basically any other character's ground game, or something like that. Therefore, one of the opponent's way of beating your ground game is by using jumps well, in conjunction with their ground game.

Doing drift-back aerial is a way of denying their extended jump-in approaches (along with some ground approaches). Meaning their options will be limited to ground game & safer jump options, as opposed to all of them, which they normally have in neutral. An added benefit is if you use your drift back well (i.e. input it BEFORE the SH comes out), it actually gives you an absurd amount of pullback, which essentially gives you more space to play ground game immediately after you land.... and I've also been thinking of/kinda working on just wavelanding immediately too for some tricky stuff, but auto cancel landing is also really good.

If you can use anti-airs well and threaten them well (and act fluidly out of these situations), they will be discouraged from jumping in at you, and they'll play as though they're limited to ground game/safe jumps. If you can force them to play like that, THEN you can focus more on dancing around them and using your ground normals to poke/swat everything.

Basically cutting off their options one at a time, making the rest easier to handle.

Last edited:

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
This is true, but I believe many astute players will observe that they simply can't jump when you do the actions before the aerial(in this case the dash forward). So if they see a Marth player dash backward they would still feel safe to use aerial approaches vs that. Adding in they can also approach after the aerial finishes(or shortly afterward to avoid getting beaten out by an immediate Marth swing) and things aren't so straightforward.

To make things fun I'll also argue against my previous paragraph, saying often people don't like using a tool anymore if it's beaten a few times in a row. If you could manipulate this mixup such that you can take away someone's confidence in jumping then you've succeeded in a big way as Marth.

Top Bottom