• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important Carefully Ask PPMD about the Tiara Guy

EZPZ

Smash Apprentice
Dr Peepee Dr Peepee So I am somewhat new (Been playing for 2 years, going to tournaments for a couple months) and I really like playing both Falco and Marth. In general I am better with Falco right now because my punish game with him is a lot better, but I have a really hard time with the Falco ditto so I have started using Marth for that matchup. But I was reading Umbreon's drastic improvement guide and he strongly suggests picking and sticking to one character until I get to a really good place using only that character. So I guess my question is do you think it is harmful for me at this point in my "career" to rely on Marth for that matchup?

FE_Hector

Smash Lord
Dr Peepee Dr Peepee So I am somewhat new (Been playing for 2 years, going to tournaments for a couple months) and I really like playing both Falco and Marth. In general I am better with Falco right now because my punish game with him is a lot better, but I have a really hard time with the Falco ditto so I have started using Marth for that matchup. But I was reading Umbreon's drastic improvement guide and he strongly suggests picking and sticking to one character until I get to a really good place using only that character. So I guess my question is do you think it is harmful for me at this point in my "career" to rely on Marth for that matchup?
It's not very good because you don't know how to play the MU or how to counter that characters specific weaknesses. Just stick to one character. I actually switched from Marth to Falco recently because I enjoy playing Falco far more than I enjoy Marth. Even though it's sooooo hard to get good with Falco, I'm devoted.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
I believe long term it will hurt you more to rely on one character for matchups you don't like. There are definitely exceptions though and you should seriously try to learn the ditto before just using another character and see what's best for you.

rashssb

Smash Rookie
Dr Peepee Dr Peepee Need some help with edgeguarding sheik and falcon. Any tips? Also, I'm really confused as to how to know if youre being to aggressive or too defensive with marth.

Last edited:

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
I can help with specifics for Sheik/Falcon but overall there's just too much lol. Basics= runoff Fair vs Sheik and neutral stand at the right time vs up-B. Falcon you want to follow his up-B with your SH drift and Uair/Fair into combo or tipper. If you throw Falcon offstage you guess if he will DJ early(attack) or late(sweetspot) and can counter or runoff Fair.

Everyone has a preference for aggression or defensiveness. I don't believe that either is inherently wrong, but your understanding of either or your execution of those things can be what's hurting you.

outofphase

Smash Apprentice
Well Cactus mains Marth again, so you should check his stream out often.

This technique should be reasonably effective vs Fox. Can you describe how exactly it failed vs him? How close were you and what did you get punished by? What could you have done about it?

Vs Falco, it's certainly more the case I wouldn't use this as much since lasers are more likely to disrupt it. Still, doing it sometimes and then DJ to a platform/waveland back/Fair out of getting hit by laser can be useful I think.

I would most prefer to use this vs Fox/Falcon I think, since I'm more likely to hit those characters(they run in/throw out moves a solid amount)/need to slow them down even if it doesn't work. I don't think I would use this much in the Marth ditto since committing to any lag in that matchup is quite a risk in my experience.
Well I just watched some of druggedfox's recent sets and looked for the retreating fairs. He didn't seem to use it very much, but it seemed to work out okay for him when he did use it. I really only saw him use it vs Fox on FD, but I didn't watch too much. He didn't use it once in the game I watched him play vs. Fox on YS or in the sets vs. Sheik/Falco. It didn't strike me as particularly great, at least for me looking through the lens of my own play and how much I can struggle in movement-heavy mixups vs. Fox and to a lesser extent, Falcon. Not to say I think it is bad, but I just don't think I have a developed enough game to get the most out it while it also opens up one of my particular weaknesses to exploitation. He definitely uses it from further away than I do, seemingly just to zone and deter them from coming out of the corner too brashly. I do think it is smarter than the way I use it, which is more aggressive and susceptible to them either being able to get into my space on whiff or just flat out beat it before my fair can cover Marth's body. I also don't really ever waveland after the fair so i am sure that contributes to the issue of feeling disadvantaged on whiff. Also would make sense why I find it better against characters who I have a ground movement advantage against. After thinking about it, I also feel like at some point in experimenting with it, I started using it too often and so good Foxes/Falcons/Falco have been able to pick up on it and punish me for being too aggressive too often, whereas other characters can't do as much or can't punish it well enough for it to matter. I don't have videos to compare our usage of it, but I think that sums it up pretty okay. I am going to try spacing it from farther away vs. Fox/Falcon and only using it on longer stages and see how it works out. I also assume it is just bad in Marth dittoes and have never bothered trying it.

DeadPigeon

Smash Apprentice
I believe long term it will hurt you more to rely on one character for matchups you don't like. There are definitely exceptions though and you should seriously try to learn the ditto before just using another character and see what's best for you.
I think that people need to devote enough time to practicing 'bad' matchups that they have a solid understanding of both their opponent's character and how their main interacts with their opponent's character. If someone devotes the time to figuring this all out and still decides that the matchup isn't worth it/a secondary will do better, fine. The concern is that inexperienced players will play a 'bad' matchup a few times and decide they don't like it without ever learning why it's bad, or how to play around their main's weaknesses.

BlueX

Smash Hero
NNID
ukgh01
3DS FC
3325-4567-0562
What do you think about Marth's D-air and how would you use it in a situation or a combo?

FE_Hector

Smash Lord
What do you think about Marth's D-air and how would you use it in a situation or a combo?
Dair can be useful for spiking opponents, forcing them to get off your back, OOS because of its insanely large hitbox, or even to pop up floatier characters. I personally love popup dairs on Samus because of how interesting your comboes can become. I think one time I even dair'd into a Ken Combo. Some people use SHFFL dairs as an approach, but I think that it's just stupid because of how punishable it is.

outofphase

Smash Apprentice
Well I just watched some of druggedfox's recent sets and looked for the retreating fairs. He didn't seem to use it very much, but it seemed to work out okay for him when he did use it. I really only saw him use it vs Fox on FD, but I didn't watch too much. He didn't use it once in the game I watched him play vs. Fox on YS or in the sets vs. Sheik/Falco. It didn't strike me as particularly great, at least for me looking through the lens of my own play and how much I can struggle in movement-heavy mixups vs. Fox and to a lesser extent, Falcon. Not to say I think it is bad, but I just don't think I have a developed enough game to get the most out it while it also opens up one of my particular weaknesses to exploitation. He definitely uses it from further away than I do, seemingly just to zone and deter them from coming out of the corner too brashly. I do think it is smarter than the way I use it, which is more aggressive and susceptible to them either being able to get into my space on whiff or just flat out beat it before my fair can cover Marth's body. I also don't really ever waveland after the fair so i am sure that contributes to the issue of feeling disadvantaged on whiff. Also would make sense why I find it better against characters who I have a ground movement advantage against. After thinking about it, I also feel like at some point in experimenting with it, I started using it too often and so good Foxes/Falcons/Falco have been able to pick up on it and punish me for being too aggressive too often, whereas other characters can't do as much or can't punish it well enough for it to matter. I don't have videos to compare our usage of it, but I think that sums it up pretty okay. I am going to try spacing it from farther away vs. Fox/Falcon and only using it on longer stages and see how it works out. I also assume it is just bad in Marth dittoes and have never bothered trying it.
I made these adjustments and have been testing it out to some good success. It actually had kind of a snowball effect on my neutral game by causing me to be slightly less aggressive in general and I sort of was able to bridge together a lot of my movement ideas from the last time I got really into improving my Marth with an improved punish game and my improved matchup knowledge.

The last two days I have played probably the best Marth I have ever played and I think this forward air adjustment put some of the rest of my game in place. I actually used to use it less aggressively when I first started doing it, but I wasn't good at mixing it in with more aggressive approaches and often got beaten by good defensive players who were comfortable in the corner and at the ledge. I think that prompted me to pick up a bad habit of trying to push in too hard with it, and just in general. I honestly have gotten a ton of mileage out of doing nearly the same things I was before, except from closer to center stage, and I feel so much more in control. I sort of lost sight of how to take stage and properly control the center at some point and became too one-dimensional and predictable as I went off the deep end of trying to cover too many options on reaction but not really giving myself proper windows in which to react. I feel like my approaches and decision making has really taken a turn upwards, and I sort of feel like a "real Marth" for the first time, being able to really control the ground and abuse the sword, pressing in at the right times, choking out space, and getting the most out of my grabs/stage control.

Just in the last two days I have beaten two top 50 ranked players on netplay, including one of the top fox mains, whereas I had previously never beaten anybody in the top 100. Not a huge accomplishment or anything, but its definitely nice to see some progress. I definitely encourage people to experiment with retreating fair, or even just immediate fair in place, and am now of the mind that it is a really important tool against certain characters. You do have to kind of set it up with your movement and your dtilt, but once you do, it can really put in work. Even if it just hits once a game, that one time can turn into a stock at a high ratio and with how low risk it is, it can really be a difference maker in close games while not giving up too much for the opportunity.

Also, if people don't like me sort of treating the thread like a journal at times, just let me know and i will stop. It just feels like a good place to throw out thoughts, and I figure other people might like to hear what somebody else is thinking. This has become more of just an ask PP thread these days, but I think it would be cool to get this thread back into more of a general Marth discussion again.

Dair... Well the obvious is that it is good for spiking opponents offstage, and popping them up onstage. Long landing lag, but somewhat quick with a huge hitbox that covers both sides of Marth along withbelow him and is easy to tipper becasue of the hitbox priority. You have likely picked up on the fact that it is easier to tip dair than other swings. That is because other swings non-tipper hitboxes override the tipper if both of them connect. On dair, it is the oppostie, meaning that so long as a tipper hitbox connects, it is a tipper. Dair also has good hitstun and being a spike, can be helpful in beating characters that like to CC in certain situations because they don't get the full effect of CC against spikes. I really don't advocate for dair as .anything other than a combo starter or finisher in most situations, but it can be good OOS at the right times, and can be useful in covering your descent from a juggle against certain characters, especially if they want to chase you high and dont have their DJ to bait and punish you with. Although it is a bold play most of the time, it can be helpful, especially if the other character doesn't have good vertical mobility or a good aerial to challenge it with. Unfortunately, that is pretty rare since pretty much only Peach/Puff/ICs have those isues when considering top tiers. Puff is just too risky to attempt it against and doesn't often find herself trying to juggle Marth to begin with and a good Peach player isn't going to overextend vertically like that very often since it isn't really any better than covering your landing and/or pulling a turnip in most situations. ICs also like to control the ground and don't really like to chase too much unless you are lower to the ground in which case landing with a dair can be a potential grab opening if they play their cards right. Against characters like the Mario Bros, Samus to some extent, and alot of the lesser played characters, it becomes better, but still not exactly Falco's dair.

Also, check this ****: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q86OSsFXHwo&feature=youtu.be&t=637
Best dair I have seen in a while.

Last edited:

_trix_

Smash Apprentice
I don't think you should have secondaries for specific matchups, it's better to learn the matchups so you don't have any weaknesses. I personally think its allright to have secondaries for certain stages, or to dual main and use the character you're feeling that day.

Last edited:

_trix_

Smash Apprentice
outofphase outofphase Yeah I agree. I think we should do a matchup discussion or something to get the ball rolling(like we first do a character a lot Marths have trouble with I.E. sheik, then discuss the matchups for a few days then move on to the next one). Learning melee is almost like learning a subject in school(the main difference is that it doesn't suck ass). Rather than just learn via lecture, we should try and also have class discussion. Doing a mix of the two is a lot better than just learning from the teacher, even if the teacher is Einstein(which ppmd pretty much is by comparison). Everyone that wants to do a matchup discussion or have more discussion in general, like this post.

FE_Hector

Smash Lord
outofphase outofphase Yeah I agree. I think we should do a matchup discussion or something to get the ball rolling(like we first do a character a lot Marths have trouble with I.E. sheik, then discuss the matchups for a few days then move on to the next one). Learning melee is almost like learning a subject in school(the main difference is that it doesn't suck ***). Rather than just learn via lecture, we should try and also have class discussion. Doing a mix of the two is a lot better than just learning from the teacher, even if the teacher is Einstein(which ppmd pretty much is by comparison). Everyone that wants to do a matchup discussion or have more discussion in general, like this post.
I think we've heard the idea before about making a thread for discussing MUs and stuff. Sounds like it's gaining more and more popularity. Anybody know where we should put this in? A new thread or in this one could work I think, but I want other opinions.

_trix_

Smash Apprentice
FE_Hector FE_Hector I think a seperate thread would make it a lot easier to find in the future and would be more organized and better in gerneral, but I feel like it might be more popular and have more discussion if it was put in this thread.

The_Most_Effectual

Smash Apprentice
NNID
EarthBoundNerdC
Hey, Dr Peepee Dr Peepee
First off, thanks for being NC's Hero <3, and secondly, is dair OoS a good option situationally? I found myself doing it a lot this weekend just kinda randomly, like when a Fox would up-smash my shield, but it seemed to work kind of well. Probably just because people didn't expect the mix up, but I dunno. At higher percents, it would knock spacies up onto platforms for a weird tech chase, which led into some good juggles. I'm sure it's not good all the time, but what do you think about it as a mixup on unsafe shield pressure?

FE_Hector

Smash Lord
Hey, Dr Peepee Dr Peepee
First off, thanks for being NC's Hero <3, and secondly, is dair OoS a good option situationally? I found myself doing it a lot this weekend just kinda randomly, like when a Fox would up-smash my shield, but it seemed to work kind of well. Probably just because people didn't expect the mix up, but I dunno. At higher percents, it would knock spacies up onto platforms for a weird tech chase, which led into some good juggles. I'm sure it's not good all the time, but what do you think about it as a mixup on unsafe shield pressure?
1) NC Hype!
2) I'm not PPMD, but I personally think that dair OoS is a plenty good option because of how much area it hits. You really just have to be sure that they chose a laggy enough move that you can definitely punish it with tipper dair OoS. Leading to plat techchases into juggles sounds pretty sweet. I think that most Marth's tend to choose simpler options OoS, mostly grab (such a hard input lol) and WD because a lot of Marth's don't play aggro like that. It definitely pays off if you get a popup off of it and have time to act after L-Canceling.

Hunybear

Smash Ace
Is Marth really bad in teams?
The argument against him is that he can't control space with aggressive movement as zoning as effectively as he can is singles. He doesn't have his long grab combo's and can't edge guard as effectively because of your opponents team mate interfering.
He already doesn't have any attacks that put a persistent hit box of the field.
Idk what he'd do in a 2v1 situation.
ect...

With PewFat winning EVO teams I can't help but feel that people's perception of Marth's team ability is a little underrated.
Marth has the tools to excel in teams but the way in which we use them isn't the most practical.
I believe Marth's Primary goal in general is to control space. So my question is What is the best way for Marth to go about controlling space in the teams environment?

Twinkles

Smash Lord
My thoughts on Marth in teams:

Standard Cons:
-Marth can't do anything like complete lock down that he can do in singles.
-Normal extended juggles not nearly as effective in teams because of regular interrupts and very rarely lead to kill setups.
-Throwing out sword a lot can disrupt teammate.

Making Marth work in Teams:
-Marth can clear up most 2v1 situations for his teammate really safely just throwing out sword.
-If his teammate is going off, Marth can just throw up a wall to prevent the other person from interfering.
-I think for creating 2v1 situations, Marth in general is just really good at boxing someone else out to keep the 2v1 going.

Something I think PPU does that leads to his massive success in teams is he dairs a lot and goes for other very opportunistic quick kills. Very nice style of lurking, throwing disruptive hits when necessary, and then just eliminating stocks when the opportunity shows up.

At least with this style, Marth is a very supporty character in teams. I also think it's the better way to play Marth in teams, though IIRC Ken played more vanguard with his Marth, which probably works if you have someone as good as Isai carrying you.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Marth just isn't like Fox/Peach/Puff/probly Sheik in teams but he's still pretty good. He's great at getting grabs to set up the opponent and also walling someone out while doing team combos. The reason people struggle with him is they want to DD with him in teams and that doesn't work. You have to make them respect sword instead. PPU is good at this(prefers this way to play I believe) and has worked on the other things I said which is how he makes Marth successful.

dreamhouse

Smash Cadet
I think 20xx for teams is going to be using throw invincibility to the maximum. Theoretically every grab could be a knee, rest, or other kill move, and Marth has the best grab in the game so he's only going to get more relevant if the doubles meta moves that direction. I think punishes in doubles are still very unexplored and unoptimized with people freestyling instead of practicing guaranteed kill setups.

Darth Tobito

Smash Cadet
NNID
darth_tobito
How does one effectively play Marth defensively? What should he be doing to push back opponents who try to get in or are already in his face? Also, how do I punish low percent crouch cancels?

outofphase

Smash Apprentice
How does one effectively play Marth defensively? What should he be doing to push back opponents who try to get in or are already in his face? Also, how do I punish low percent crouch cancels?
I really don't advocate for heavy defensive play as Marth except vs. characters who have no means of really challenging your space. Among top tiers, that is only ICs and only to a certain extent against them. It can be okay against worse characters, but still not really any better than the normal aggressive movement and zoning.

To stop opponents trying to get in, you need to either stuff it by spacing yourself far enough away to react, simply reading their approach, preemptively throwing out a safe zoning attack like AC nair or retreating fair. The best option is often to just evade through movement and punish though. Could be as simple as DD grab or you might evade and then put them into a more complex mixup situation. If they are already in your face, get out. Unless the opportunity for counter-attacking presents itself fairly clearly or you have a gauge on them, you typically want to get out and reestablish your spacing/movement. Marth struggles in chaotic scramble-type situations, especially at close quarters. Roll, shielding into a roll or WDOoS, retreating AC nair, and dash away are the basics and go really far so long as you use them in the right circumstances.

You often hear that Marth has problems against CCing, but I think he deals with it better than alot of characters, especially at really low percent. The biggest thing is just spacing. If you space, you are pretty much safe. Fair and dtilt and obviously grab are your best friends at low percent. Conveniently, they are also your best friends at higher percent so you don't have to alter what you are doing too significantly to get around CC. A related idea is that when you get a punish opportunity at low percents, it can be of benefit to keep the other character's CC ability in mind when choosing how to go about punishing. If you can tack on enough percent to get them beyond their good CC threshold, you basically negate their CC for that stock. Basically, at lower percents, it can bet better to tack on guaranteed or nearly guaranteed percent in favor of other kinds of advantage, especially against characters who like to CC. Taking them from 20%-55% with a few guaranteed uairs vs. fairing them from 20-30% and a possible edgeguard, is a simple example of this concept. The gimp-ability or punish-ability of their recovery would be the primary point to consider, and the potential that they could not take any more damage and come back at CC percent is a big part of that. Both are likely to end up with netting you more than the initial percent, but one guarantees to take them out of low percent. So there are direct ways to avoid it, like spacing, and more indirect, like the example given, which are more general strategical decisions that take away CC. Combine the two, and you start realizing Samus sucks.

Last edited:

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
If opponents are close, then Marth's best course of action is often resetting the space or going through the opponent...or CC. He's certainly disadvantaged when people are on top of him. I find WD to be helpful in this instance since it shifts your dash space well.

Low percent CCs are beaten by spacing (typically Fair/Dtilt) and grab. If someone CCs your attack then you cannot directly punish them. You have to punish the following action(s)....unless of course your opponent is off-balance and does not act but I still consider that passing over decision points. If I Dtilt a Fox and it tippers and he CCs, then I may move forward to apply more pressure, or just observe what is happening(Fox may attack out immediately, hold shield, jump, etc). If I'm confident in my reactions/what my opponent will do, then I would move forward hard to quickly punish their next action. So basically, if you hit someone and move in to combo even if you see them hold down, and do this repeatedly, then you aren't respecting their counterattack options enough.

Littleloki

Smash Rookie
Hey Dr Peepee Dr Peepee , Andu here.

I've been meaning to ask you this question for a very long time. You spend a lot of your time at home, practicing on your own or with your bother. I imagine this takes a lot of personal practice and video analysis. For lower level players like myself would love to implement better practice regiments and learn to get the most from videos, and I was wondering if you would be able to give a short description here of how you do these things, and perhaps a more descriptive tutorial on such through youtube/twitch a later point?

P.S. Excited to see you showing up to more events. Can't wait for you to come to Canada on take our money on Friday.

Rlagkrud

Smash Cadet
Dr Peepee Dr Peepee
Are you comfortable with the Falco vs Marth matchup (where you're the marth)?
I'm wondering how it affects your neutral game, since Falco has such a good projectile.
I see how M2K plays around it, but you're known to have a better neutral than him, and I'm wondering how it plays into this matchup.

I don't think there are any videos of you playing this either.

Last edited:

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Hey Dr Peepee Dr Peepee , Andu here.

I've been meaning to ask you this question for a very long time. You spend a lot of your time at home, practicing on your own or with your bother. I imagine this takes a lot of personal practice and video analysis. For lower level players like myself would love to implement better practice regiments and learn to get the most from videos, and I was wondering if you would be able to give a short description here of how you do these things, and perhaps a more descriptive tutorial on such through youtube/twitch a later point?

P.S. Excited to see you showing up to more events. Can't wait for you to come to Canada on take our money on Friday.
For practice, I just do the basics(WD, edgedash, etc) over and over until I'm used to them while thinking about their applications. After that point I begin putting those techniques together in short sequences of actions that I can use mid game.

For analysis, the simplest way to say what I do is watch for when someone gets hit and figure out why. Go back to right before the hit and then later if you don't immediately understand. If you still don't get it then you should ask here or someone else or just move on and learn what you can.

Canada should be fun! =)

Dr Peepee Dr Peepee
I'm wondering how it affects your neutral game, since Falco has such a good projectile.
I see how M2K plays around it, but you're known to have a better neutral than him, and I'm wondering how it plays into this matchup.

I'm not comfortable with it yet but I've been thinking about it a lot lately since I'm playing with primarily Falcos lately. Basically I try to mix PS with take laser jab or dash. That stuff is all really good but only when combined with the rest of those options. There's some jump stuff, platform stuff, and WD stuff that I think can also be useful but I don't know it well enough to talk about it.

-=Untamed-Beast=-

Smash Journeyman
just doing some record keeping

(older stuff)
Official "Ask Dr.PeePee about Cactuar's Stuff" Thread
Ask Dr.PPMD about Cactuar's Stuff
Official "Ask EG.PPMD Stuff about sword guy" Thread
Carefully ask EG.PPMD about the Tiara Guy <--- *New!*

Dr Peepee Dr Peepee

One thing that comes to mind is that he fought Cyrain's Falco in game 2 of this set last year: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJE9xppFp6c

Last edited:

Hunybear

Smash Ace
1) Edge Guarding Shiek (when Marth is a 100%)
I'm having trouble edge guarding Shiek when I'm above 100%.
My go too whenever Shiek is off stage is to grab ledge and try to force an up-B on stage and punish her lag. I just roll and normal get up whenever I see the poof. This presents a problem when I'm at a higher percent because those options aren't nearly as good and I have to use an areal to punish her land lag. I tried ledge dashes but sometimes that gives Shiek the ledge.

2) General advice on proper D-tilt usage
I need help using D-tilt to it's full affect against Shiek, (and falcon)

FE_Hector

Smash Lord
When you're at higher %s, you'll have to know what they want to do. If they're aiming for a sweetspot, just roll on and be done with it. If they're headed onstage, just ledgehop/ledgedash and fsmash her back off. You don't REALLY need a tipper, but it's useful.

CoCo_Jungle

Smash Rookie
What do you guys think about Marth's potential when it comes to tech chasing on the ground? Would it be better to only tech chase on the ground until your opponent is in a high enough percent to land on a platform, in order to start a platform tech chase? Also what is a reliable option to cover tech away?

Last edited:

OnStrings

Smash Rookie
Dthrow and fthrow both knock down at higher percents (sometimes depending on DI too); I usually opt for Dthrow, and to tech chase I throw and dashdance out of getup attack range until I see they've teched and I chase into grab or dash attack (if they're out of range), if they miss the tech, i wait nearby and wait for getup attack or roll

1) What is the advantage of retreating AC nair over retreating fair?
2) What is the best way to AC nair? I haven't tried using retreating AC nair yet, but if it's good for catching approaches, I want to start implementing it. I've tried rising nair into fastfall autocancel vs nair at the apex of the jump and delay the ff, the former seems more effective but less consistent

CoCo_Jungle

Smash Rookie
Dthrow and fthrow both knock down at higher percents (sometimes depending on DI too); I usually opt for Dthrow, and to tech chase I throw and dashdance out of getup attack range until I see they've teched and I chase into grab or dash attack (if they're out of range), if they miss the tech, i wait nearby and wait for getup attack or roll

2) What is the best way to AC nair? I haven't tried using retreating AC nair yet, but if it's good for catching approaches, I want to start implementing it. I've tried rising nair into fastfall autocancel vs nair at the apex of the jump and delay the ff, the former seems more effective but less consistent
If you read up a little earlier on the thread they talk about AC Nair. To answer your second question you can use AC retreating Nair to zone out an opponent, for example if they're in the corner you can dash back pivot retreating Nair or shield stop pivot Nair.

FE_Hector

Smash Lord
What do you guys think about Marth's potential when it comes to tech chasing on the ground? Would it be better to only tech chase on the ground until your opponent is in a high enough percent to land on a platform, in order to start a platform tech chase? Also what is a reliable option to cover tech away?
His platform techchasing is definitely really good, but his techchasing capability on the ground is still really good. If you wanna be a bit ballsy, Mang0 vs Leffen $365 MM at WTFox really showed how good tipper fsmash techchasing is. Depending on % and DI, techchase dash attack -> fsmash is possible. You could also techchase for another grab, maybe trying to throw them onto a platform for a platform techchase that leads into some uairs or something. It really depends on your playstyle and everything.

FE_Hector

Smash Lord
Sorry for the doublepost here, my comp was being weird and didn't register that the first message sent. Could a mod please remove it? IDK how to do so myself if it's even possible.

Last edited:

CoCo_Jungle

Smash Rookie
His platform techchasing is definitely really good, but his techchasing capability on the ground is still really good. If you wanna be a bit ballsy, Mang0 vs Leffen $365 MM at WTFox really showed how good tipper fsmash techchasing is. Depending on % and DI, techchase dash attack -> fsmash is possible. You could also techchase for another grab, maybe trying to throw them onto a platform for a platform techchase that leads into some uairs or something. It really depends on your playstyle and everything.
Thanks for the response homie. This is the third time with in the last day I've been told to watch that match I should get off my ass and watch it already xD

Personally, I think tech chasing is an underused Marth utility. I think a lot of Marth's good options don't necessarily do a ton of damage, but aggravate your opponent. And when you're aggravated, you don't play as well. Mental game is WAY bigger than people give it credit for. That being said, tech chasing. It doesn't do that much damage since his throws are wimpy, but it can lead into some very, very nasty setups. You just have to be looking for them. Like everything with this blasted swordsman, those setups are intensely situational.

I'm sure some people use Y and just push it insanely fast, but I use tap jump to do AC nair. Works like a charm, if you've got the right touch for sensitivity. Which you should. The rest is timing you have to figure out yourself.

Advantages to it, though...well, it has no landing lag. Which seems silly, since fair has almost no lag either if L-canceled properly. Faster movement is sometimes preferable. But mostly it's where the hitbox lies. Nair has a lot of funky hitboxes on it; I think it's a very under-utilized move. Fair is pretty straightforward, and covers higher approaches than the nair does (if they're in front of you). Both cover a similar horizontal distance, though I think that nair has *slightly* more range (second hit of course).

Top Bottom