• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important Carefully Ask PPMD about the Tiara Guy

Kotastic

Smash Ace
NNID
Kotastic
3DS FC
3368-4107-1072
Do you consider Luigi/Icies "bad characters" where you can supposedly invalidate them if you reactively space a fair/dtilt vs their WD in? Or are there caveats to this?

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
https://youtu.be/DZq_JB1A7ZY?t=209 this seems like a very flowcharted edgeguard, but I'm not sure what informed your decision to DJ back Fair here, because I think it would have lost if Sheik had done DJ SS or DJ Fair (not sure about the latter because Marth's hurtbox gets tucked back). It looked like you were going to runoff Fair (which would have won, though I'm uncertain how good the hit is at 33%) so I was wondering what you're thinking about after you Fthrow Sheik here (because the option DID work). Would you recommend this DJ back Fair after Fthrowing her offstage (at this percent or otherwise)?

In general when Marth Fthrows Sheik offstage at this distance from the ledge, how much do Marth's mixups change with percent and DI? Is there a percent threshold where you would add new options/drop others? If Sheik DIs far away from the ledge, how does that affect your decision in this position?

Do you think it's accurate to say that when edgeguarding Sheik and Marth off Fthrow/Dthrow you can treat them similarly (because of their relatively close weight and fall speed)? I notice that similar options seem to work on both, so I guess I'm asking what you think are significant differences to keep in mind.
It was an okay option and one you could do occasionally perhaps. Encouraging Sheik to DJ immediate aerial is always a good thing because it makes her much more exploitable later.

It's a pretty rough place to Fthrow and I wouldn't normally recommend it unless you expected her to DI behind you or maybe neutral for Uthrow so Fthrow can directly combo and maybe you can win this mixup. In this particular position I think mid percent Fthrow is better.

Somewhat, but Sheik can drop lower because she falls slower which adds up over time, and also she can walljump. They're more similar if they try to DJ to edge, but Sheik up-B snaps to edge so even that is pretty different. Beating them if they DJ and aerial is what's most similar.

Do you consider Luigi/Icies "bad characters" where you can supposedly invalidate them if you reactively space a fair/dtilt vs their WD in? Or are there caveats to this?
Yes, but if you play a mid range then you can't react easily. Farther away or quite close up are what you need to play at. In between you shouldn't do much.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
I figured he was unlikely to go to edge in the second but possibly would in the first.

I wanted to avoid getting hit and also punish him if he did go down for the first. Your second timestamp doesn't work.

Zorcey

Smash Journeyman
So in the first clip, you think that stand wouldn't have lasted long enough to cover Sheik going for ledge in either situation? Do you think that when Sheik disappears next to you, you should always treat it as a 50/50 whether she goes to ledge or not? Or do you think with (realistic) proper timing, stand could cover everything?

Do you think it was possible for Sheik to get to ledge in that second clip, when at the apex of her UpB she was already kind of onstage? (In other words, did you win a 50/50 here, or was the roll "optimal" because it was easier to time than stand and set up the tipper Fsmash?)

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
You could stand to cover edge, but you have to wait so long now to do it that you can't punish much else a lot of the time. Rolling slightly early helps cover most edge plays and some stuff like going high or poofing onto the very lip of the level. And it matters based on where she could go if it's really a 50/50, but you can treat it as one. This is a big part of why I say go out and hit her to avoid these situations. Stand cannot cover everything now like it used to if the Sheik knows what they are doing(although Marth could sometimes only grab here anyway which is gross).

Nah from the poof Sheik couldn't get to edge cuz she went too far forward.

Zorcey

Smash Journeyman
Sheik’s main counterplay to Marth going out to hit her is to UpB early or drop low, which allows him to edgeguard her more easily with his ledge options, correct?

Does “slightly early” mean a little before Sheik disappears in her UpB, or does it mean as she disappears (the latter is what I normally see you do).

Marth could only grab what? Sheik? The ledge? Is this a good or bad gross lol.

Also free the llamas.

Last edited:

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Yeah pretty much, though it can depend on the situation. If you watched the most recent Karn stream I got that to happen a bit more than usual.

Either can work, but of course the earlier you go the earlier Sheik can react.

Sheik. And bad gross lol.

They are freed wtf!!! (this is gonna be weird for people reading through posts to see later lmfao)

Kotastic

Smash Ace
NNID
Kotastic
3DS FC
3368-4107-1072
Free the llamas

How do you deal with Marth jumping in place? Is it similar to how you deal with Sheik's jump?

Same for Fox's jump in place except it feels like you can't prime for it at all.

Also try digging directly down.

Last edited:

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
I'll free ur llamas

Marth's is different than Sheik's because he has more drift and the disjoint helps him a lot, and also his Fair takes longer to come out usefully. I like Fsmash'ing it occasionally, but run up rising Fair works on Marth more than Sheik in my experience so long as they jump in place.

Fox's jump in place you're not hitting that out of the air unless you're nearly tunnel visioning it and are pretty close, and even then it might not work lol..

I'll dig directly down so I can use up-B in the air as an offensive move.

Zorcey

Smash Journeyman
I notice you get a lot of mileage out of ledgetrapping Marth/Sheik - sometimes even more than you get from edgeguarding. Do you have particular rules you’re keeping in mind for beating their ledge options? I love/stole the thing you often do with reacting out of WD back as they get off, but I’m not sure what to prime for out of it/what the weaknesses of the option are.

Do you think WD back to ledgetrap is less good against Fox/Falco because of their LDs (and because holding down isn’t really as good against them either)?

Loved the M2k stream btw.

Last edited:

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
The thing about both of them is they don't like being cornered, and Marth has very bad frames on his edgedash. Sheik often likes to Ftilt so this forces her hand as well. Knowing this, standing right outside where they will be vulnerable and holding down is super strong, especially against Marth as this also avoids edgehop Fair. The downside of this in both cases is now they can get onto the very lip of the stage for "free." It may or may not matter to you that this happens, but it is possible on some stages that Sheik could get to a side platform from here which some may care about. Anyway, stay outside of their edgedash stuff and make them respect that. If people start waiting more or just always getting on the lip of the stage, then by all means start adjusting your position some to occasionally cover it(or react and cover, etc etc). Getting near the edge right as they grab means they still have to wait the 8 frames to wait but they are forced to act past that, kind of like neutral but more skewed. The only weakness of this option is you are also somewhat forced to make a decision here and thus could lose some reactions/observations, but overall it's a strong play that I think will be seen more over time.

I think WD back is still good vs both spacies, but they can just both jump out of their edgedash safely which is why it may not matter so much. You also have to go pretty far away against Fox, but sometimes he just runs straight toward you so Dtilt can still work. Honestly I still like the option vs both characters, but Fair is nice for covering both options. Oh yeah, don't WD back vs Falco that often because his doesn't go that far and if you do that you could let him double laser for free which we all know isn't safe. You can stay close then dash/WD back on reaction(or jump back too?) and I remember that working fine for me.

I'm glad you liked it! I worked hard for that one lol I'm worn out though. Glad I'm having a long weekend now.

Ladder

Smash Apprentice
How does one go about "purposefully practicing" in melee? Both in friendlies and solo practice.

Also would doing unpurposeful practice ever be worth it?

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
I suggest checking out my Youtube video for full context on this, but basically it means to practice while focusing on each and every action you do. While doing this, you think of how far the movement takes you, and/or its purpose, and/or its effect(s) on the opponent. You practice basic tech and also things like DI and combos and other things that directly aid you in matches instead of trying to feel cool.

Unpurposeful practice....I can't see a need for it? It would just ruin muscle memory and connection to the game.

Kotastic

Smash Ace
NNID
Kotastic
3DS FC
3368-4107-1072
When should Marth ever rising fair vs fox if ever as opposed to sh ff nair?

What's the difference in function between dash back --> foxtrot dash back again vs dash back --> very short dash in --> dash back?

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
It's better the more cornered Fox is, but if you retreat you can do it more often. Neutral out of dash or approaching rising Fair are both better done if you're pretty sure he won't hold down/dash back and will instead jump or shield or move in. This is why it's better to do it the more cornered he is.

One sequence moves you farther forward and has a rapid tempo change while the other is the same rhythm and moves you back farther.

Zorcey

Smash Journeyman
I know from experience that they feel very different, but how would you characterize the difference between "unpurposeful practice" and allowing yourself to flow? On the surface, I think they can look the same, because the idea of not getting caught up in details remains the same (assuming you can say there's an "idea" behind unpurposeful practice).

Are these guidelines about rising Fair the same against Falcon as well as Fox? I think they apply to the tool overall but I wonder if I'm missing any nuances.

Are there any neutral situations that immediately come to you where you would tend to Nair Falcon but Fair Fox? Nair just feels better against Falcon in many places, but I can't articulate why, so I'm obviously missing something.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Both would involve a lower level of conscious effort, but one comes through refined routine or at least allowing yourself to enjoy movement that comes from routine, and the other is usually approached and felt to be lazier and unproductive. Perhaps the only real answer is one is deeper and you know it when you feel it, but I'd like to think routine matters in most cases.

Falcon is different in that you can swat him if you're closer but you get punished way harder for whiffing than vs Fox, but once he's cornered he's even easier to swing on than Fox.

Nair is good vs Falcon if you run up and do it in place at a specific spacing. Beats his Nair and many moves, and he has a hard time punishing the AC even if he's ready for it(sometimes he gets hit by second hit as well due to how he has to play). Fair vs Falcon is not as good unless he has a move out you react to well, but for conversions especially past lower percents it's usually better.

Zorcey

Smash Journeyman
That Fair isn't very good unless you react to Falcon's attack makes sense, but how would you explain why that is? Is it because of the swing arc and/or that Fair generally has to be timed well to work?

For Nair, is the "specific spacing" you mention right outside Falcon's immediate range (outside where he can hit you without having to move first), or further away than that?

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Falcon and Marth must be farther away from each other normally so the spacing helps give Marth time to put out the Fair. Marth's disjoint also beats Falcon's lack of disjoint. If he tries to swing first, Falcon is often dashing back and can easily abuse the arc and lag.

Yeah more or less.

Kotastic

Smash Ace
NNID
Kotastic
3DS FC
3368-4107-1072
How do you deal with the mixup of dash dance drill or running shine? I have a lot of trouble dealing with this ground game mixup and tempo.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Jumping backwards beats both, meeting them with grab if they overshoot at all beats both, WD back into grab/Fsmash/Fair/Dtilt beats both. I find confirming what they want to do out of dash back helpful here.

maxono1

Smash Cadet
Jumping backwards beats both, meeting them with grab if they overshoot at all beats both, WD back into grab/Fsmash/Fair/Dtilt beats both. I find confirming what they want to do out of dash back helpful here.
do you mean confirm what they want to do during my own dash back or confirm what they want to do out of their dash back?

do you like dash in let it stall because it lets you interrupt them coming in on the prediction that you will dash back after dashing in?

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
I meant out of mine.

Yeah, and it also is a good timing mixup. However, some people might push in when you get close, or only push in if they see you stayed pushed in, etc....so it could work for many reasons. No need to always go as fast as possible!

Zorcey

Smash Journeyman
Something I tend to do in friendlies is "spam" a certain movement sequence to see how an opponent responds to it. I do it because I wanted to understand how the sequence influences different kinds of players, but I had been getting confused by the fact that upon each repetition, the response I got would often be entirely different. After thinking about it for a bit, I believe it's because the sequence really isn't "the same" upon each repetition, because an opponent's perception of it changes depending on what happened previously (and obviously there are other factors like exact spacing, both players' percents, stock count, stage, etc.). So in an example where I just repeat a super simple movement pattern like dash in > WD back, an opponent may see the dash in and think "oh this time he's going to move away again," or "this time he'll move in for sure," or they might not understand what's happening at all, among many other possible interpretations.

Because of the many ways people could respond (and the different timings at which they could act afterward), what I'm seeing as important is to being able to observe how an opponent is responding in the moment rather than the idea of cataloguing how they responded alone. Here's where I get stuck, because you've mentioned that you think it's reasonable to expect yourself to react out of most movements and jumps - if I find this difficult, does that mean I'm most likely using excessive movement and/or playing too close? In other words, I'm having trouble moving deeper into influencing/conditioning than a very conscious "they responded this way last time, so next time they'll probably respond by doing x again, or y." I think I should be able to confirm whether or not my prediction/expectation is correct and respond accordingly while staying safe (in a lot of situations, at least), and I can do this sometimes, but more often than not I'm basically gambling on whether or not they responded in the ways I'm prepared for. I think this has to do with the "staying open" you mentioned to me awhile ago where you can prepare to cover something in particular, but you have to stay open to other possibilities. What I think I need advice on is how to develop that openness while not slowing myself down so much I just get hit or miss my window to hit them.

From the perspective of "cataloguing" what people did in position x or in response to the threat of y, how do you recommend practicing keeping all that stuff in your head? For example, I spent some time focusing only on noticing my opponent's OoS timing and option based on where/when I hit their shield. That all went well, but when I shifted my focus elsewhere, it took me a bit to realize I started playing that position very lazily, and couldn't remember what they were doing anymore. If I have trouble remembering what they did, do I just not know the position deeply enough? I would think you're able to keep their previous options and timings from many positions in your head at the same time, but how do you practice that? Is this more straightforward than I'm making it out to be lol?

Somewhat related to this question of memory, but more a followup on what you told me awhile ago about it being important to get really strong at the punish game if you can't get good friendlies practice in a matchup: if you were in a situation where you had to prepare for a matchup without any friendlies, do you think it's possible to internalize the punishes without that kind of frequent application? My current strategy is just constant daily review and practice, but with the sheer amount of important punish situations, becoming (much less staying) polished in multiple matchups while only rarely getting to play people who push me and find all the holes in my punish game has been intimidating. (I can only compete on breaks from school, so I just have these 5-6 week periods where I'm practicing on my own with very infrequent friendlies.) Do you have advice on this? This is partly asking for guidance, but I think it might also be asking for a morale boost, honestly.

Working through these questions would be 10x harder on my own, thanks a lot as always PP. Hope you have a great time at Genesis, and at some point I will absolutely get out to a major to meet you, which I'm really looking forward to.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Finding what they ALWAYS do is impossible. Just find what's likely, and perhaps just as important find when they want to do it. If you get the when down, the what becomes easier. If they don't give you something at a similar timing, you may not be threatening, or they may be doing their own pattern. Try to account for these possibilities in your testing.

Just practice the skill of cataloguing. It doesn't happen all at once. The shield stuff is good, so just shift to that when it happens. Shift to corner when corner happens, edge when edge happens, etc. Eventually you can shift between these easier ones and start picking out more in neutral. It takes effort.

I will make friends play the character I need to practice against and tell them what to do a lot. If you don't have that option, then go through everything in your head, make mental notes and keep them fresh, and 20XX practice as much as you can for muscle memory...as well as watch high level matches. The notes will be important so you have something to ground yourself on when you get challenged!

You're very welcome, and I hope to meet you one day as well. I will keep working at it until I can travel everywhere and compete fully =)

Kotastic

Smash Ace
NNID
Kotastic
3DS FC
3368-4107-1072
Hey PP, I recall you saying that zoning is a lost art when Moon lost to Axe once again. While I do have a somewhat tangible definition what zoning is, in what regards is it utilized properly? Fair in place against opponents that jump a lot? Establish ground control with d-tilt? Hope I'm not being too vague with this question.

Additionally, what are Marth's advantages of taking Sheik/Peach to FD? My local Peach/Sheik mains don't mind FD, so I'm wondering why you counterpick there to those chars.
I would've never imagined two and a half years ago when I made my first post here, I'd be ranked top 100. That thought is still is crazy in my mind. Everyone knows how much this has greatly aided to my improvement, so I won't repeat what has already been said aside from my enormous gratitude to this service.

That being said, when I made my first post here, I was a typical 0-2'er. I wasn't ranked in my sub-region. I generally had very little self-confidence in myself. I lived in an intimidating region where everyone was so ahead of me. I missed out on the peak era of Melee competition towards the twilight of 2016. I didn't have any apparent talents that would make me stand out as any old San Diegans can tell you when they first saw me. All I did was attend my locals, make some friends, learn a little...and kept going.

I kept going.

Little by little, did I learn, asking redundant questions in this sub. I went from asking overly complex questions to very simple concepts that I can at least tangibly comprehend. Not only did I ask, I also listened from my in-region superiors. I tried applying as much as I could and continue improving. I found out later that there's a mental game aspect of competing that I also had to master, which I was also open to slowly improve in. There were numerous roadblocks that I faced frustrations with as I improved with my Marth. Several times did I want to switch mains because I thought my weaknesses with him were too great. Ultimately, I stuck with him because I cannot blame my own shortcomings with my main. I kept going.

A year passed. I was wary of various shortcomings that could stunt my growth in this game that I made sure not to follow. I made sure to never get satisfied with where I am right now. I try to gain an edge to maximizing certain aspects of my character's strengths and quirks. I made firms of my motivations to keep fueling me. I re-looked on various learning techniques to keep up. Little by little, I kept going.

I also got so much help on the way. I had the help of PPMD, Druggedfox, my Marth group chat, various top 20 players (faceroll, fiction, ibdw, zain, etc.), my oldest brother, and so many others. I had so much resources to take advantage of such as my college's ESA, living in a broken region like SoCal, netplay, and dozens of resources. I tried internalizing as much as I could, little by little, as I kept going.

I'm still going. I still have several flaws about my gameplay that needs to be addressed and adjusted. I am not a bit satisfied of where I am now despite my accomplishments. I will go further, little by little, to hopefully become the greatest in this game one day...

...and you can too. Start now by asking questions. To cultivate your passion of the game. It is not too late to improve now if that is what you desire. If you are a Marth/Falco main, you have very little excuses to not use this as your resource. Other mains have druggedfox's discord. There are a lot more resources than you think to improve at this game. If I can get this far, little by little, I think you can too.

AirFair

Marth tho
I would've never imagined two and a half years ago when I made my first post here, I'd be ranked top 100. That thought is still is crazy in my mind. Everyone knows how much this has greatly aided to my improvement, so I won't repeat what has already been said aside from my enormous gratitude to this service.

That being said, when I made my first post here, I was a typical 0-2'er. I wasn't ranked in my sub-region. I generally had very little self-confidence in myself. I lived in an intimidating region where everyone was so ahead of me. I missed out on the peak era of Melee competition towards the twilight of 2016. I didn't have any apparent talents that would make me stand out as any old San Diegans can tell you when they first saw me. All I did was attend my locals, make some friends, learn a little...and kept going.

I kept going.

Little by little, did I learn, asking redundant questions in this sub. I went from asking overly complex questions to very simple concepts that I can at least tangibly comprehend. Not only did I ask, I also listened from my in-region superiors. I tried applying as much as I could and continue improving. I found out later that there's a mental game aspect of competing that I also had to master, which I was also open to slowly improve in. There were numerous roadblocks that I faced frustrations with as I improved with my Marth. Several times did I want to switch mains because I thought my weaknesses with him were too great. Ultimately, I stuck with him because I cannot blame my own shortcomings with my main. I kept going.

A year passed. I was wary of various shortcomings that could stunt my growth in this game that I made sure not to follow. I made sure to never get satisfied with where I am right now. I try to gain an edge to maximizing certain aspects of my character's strengths and quirks. I made firms of my motivations to keep fueling me. I re-looked on various learning techniques to keep up. Little by little, I kept going.

I also got so much help on the way. I had the help of PPMD, Druggedfox, my Marth group chat, various top 20 players (faceroll, fiction, ibdw, zain, etc.), my oldest brother, and so many others. I had so much resources to take advantage of such as my college's ESA, living in a broken region like SoCal, netplay, and dozens of resources. I tried internalizing as much as I could, little by little, as I kept going.

I'm still going. I still have several flaws about my gameplay that needs to be addressed and adjusted. I am not a bit satisfied of where I am now despite my accomplishments. I will go further, little by little, to hopefully become the greatest in this game one day...

...and you can too. Start now by asking questions. To cultivate your passion of the game. It is not too late to improve now if that is what you desire. If you are a Marth/Falco main, you have very little excuses to not use this as your resource. Other mains have druggedfox's discord. There are a lot more resources than you think to improve at this game. If I can get this far, little by little, I think you can too.
really great post, made me feel very inspired with all the work I have been doing.

congrats on your rank, you definitely deserved it =)

Kotastic

Smash Ace
NNID
Kotastic
3DS FC
3368-4107-1072
PP do you know if it's possible for Marth to up-b just right under fsmash and dtilt? If so, how? Some marth dittos I've been playing recently I swear my opponents have been sweetspotting just below my fsmash/dtilt and it greatly concerns me.

Zorcey

Smash Journeyman
When do you think it's appropriate to use Dtilt for edgeguarding Falcon? The only consistent uses I find for it are when he tries to DJ to ledge but is out of sweetspot range, and to push him back offstage after I hit a late Fair on his UpB descent. Otherwise I can't do too much with it - when Falcon UpBs below the ledge I can Dtilt him sometimes, but usually he gets back.

This makes it hard to deal with Falcon recovering from below the stage, because if I don't have time to space a late Fair on the edge of the stage or do a runoff aerial, he generally gets the ledge (and even when I hit him, decent Falcons tech). Does this mean I should avoid putting Falcon below the ledge to BEGIN an edgeguard situation (which is when I generally have the least time to get into position)?

quixotic

Smash Apprentice
When do you think it's appropriate to use Dtilt for edgeguarding Falcon? The only consistent uses I find for it are when he tries to DJ to ledge but is out of sweetspot range, and to push him back offstage after I hit a late Fair on his UpB descent. Otherwise I can't do too much with it - when Falcon UpBs below the ledge I can Dtilt him sometimes, but usually he gets back.

This makes it hard to deal with Falcon recovering from below the stage, because if I don't have time to space a late Fair on the edge of the stage or do a runoff aerial, he generally gets the ledge (and even when I hit him, decent Falcons tech). Does this mean I should avoid putting Falcon below the ledge to BEGIN an edgeguard situation (which is when I generally have the least time to get into position)?
https://media.discordapp.net/attach...41/605809672645115935/2019-07-30_19-10-48.mp4

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
PP do you know if it's possible for Marth to up-b just right under fsmash and dtilt? If so, how? Some marth dittos I've been playing recently I swear my opponents have been sweetspotting just below my fsmash/dtilt and it greatly concerns me.
I don't think it should be possible, but you must be spaced very well. Dtilt must tipper perfectly in my experience. If you find a difference in 20XX testing I'd be interested in seeing it.

I like to Dtilt his up-B sometimes, especially if he tries to space it, and if I can hit his DJ. But otherwise I don't use it except as a bait.

Sometimes I just grab edge so he's forced to up-B then hit him while invincible.

LMAO, noted.

Zorcey

Smash Journeyman
Looool, okay then. Thanks.

I like to Dtilt his up-B sometimes, especially if he tries to space it, and if I can hit his DJ. But otherwise I don't use it except as a bait.

Sometimes I just grab edge so he's forced to up-B then hit him while invincible.
What are you trying to bait out with the Dtilt in this case?

It’s possible for Falcon to sweetspot around the Dtilt, correct?

Wilycoyote

Smash Rookie
Do you know when exactly stages like Rainbow Cruise, Kongo Jungle 64, Brinstar, Corneria, Mute City, and Poke Floats were banned in tournament play? I'm new so I have no idea where to find this info.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Kinda depends, as some TOs kept using separate rulesets while others banned things. RC was largely banned in late 2010, KJ64 and I believe MC and BS were banned at the beginning of that year, Corneria and Pokefloats maybe a year before?

Kotastic

Smash Ace
NNID
Kotastic
3DS FC
3368-4107-1072
How do I use Marth's movement against Marth himself when the threatening range is so big? I feel like I have to sniff out when they like to DA/Fsmash before I can really use my mobility if they want to choose remain relatively in place, when otherwise dashing is a huge risk vs those options or I'm losing space.

If I know for sure puff will approach with an aerial in a grounded space, should I primarily punish with a fair with an occasional dash grab? Or is it more dependent on punishing what puff does even after committing going with an aerial?

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
You play more mid ranges, like other characters. Also depends on how far they run before Fsmash/DA. You can influence this by how close you like to get, and what you do when they run in. If you always dash back, they may adapt and go in farther.

Depends on her aerial and how she does it. Fair is great, dash grab is fairly risky but okay sometimes. Run up Nair in place is pretty good, and Dtilt will get you mileage as well assuming she lands. You can maybe Ftilt if she doesn't land but hovers in that area some if you want.

maxono1

Smash Cadet
how do i deal with being afraid and nervous when playing against a rival? like someone who started out at a similar time and we were always at a similar skill level? it feels like if i lose or even if i lose more often than i win vs them in friendlies, that i am somehow falling behind and am afraid of that

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
The way to win is to either be fired up about, excited about winning, or from not caring about result at all and focusing on your growth. The more you let fear dictate what you do, the worse off you'll be.

Top Bottom