• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important Carefully Ask PPMD about the Tiara Guy

BTmoney

a l l b e c o m e $
best post ive read on here in a while
Top level play officialy demystified.

Your greatest trick is making it look like you are just outplaying your opponents hard with Marth everywhere but in actuality you get 1 grab then never play neutral again. So what looks like you being dominant in neutral is actually you performing a minute long "combo"--of hits + situations in your favor.

Gooooood ****. I'm excited to play and refine my DD. I thought I look for grab too much but apparently its not enough haha. It's all coming together to me so fast but I'm so busy I wish I could play more than a handful of times a month.

Last edited:

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Top level play officialy demystified.

Your greatest trick is making it look like you are just outplaying your opponents hard with Marth everywhere but in actuality you get 1 grab then never play neutral again. So what looks like you being dominant in neutral is actually you performing a minute long "combo"--of hits + situations in your favor.

Gooooood ****. I'm excited to play and refine my DD. I thought I look for grab too much but apparently its not enough haha. It's all coming together to me so fast but I'm so busy I wish I could play more than a handful of times a month.
Not quite but close =p

It is true I don't true combo well consistently and so I win neutral then advantaged neutral lots of times, but that does not diminish the number of exchanges I win beforehand. Honestly, using all of my dash work I feel I often beat my opponent multiple times before getting the grab anyway.

Regardless, I DID learn how to play in pseudo neutral a lot just for backup purposes and it just kind of happened to be what I could do because true punishing was too continuously mentally straining at events lol. Just thought I'd provide a more nuanced view of the situation that kind of accounts for Marth and my own way to play + circumstances of being a human when playing the game.

I think the best current example of Marth play is my match with Mango at MLG where we play on YS. Not only do I use effective dashes but I also actually kill off of grabs like I know how to do lol.

net1234

Smash Ace
Do you know who Dart is?
How do i develop a more patient play style with Marth? I have more success with that sort of playstyle
What are some effective ways to keep characters off the stage? Is downtilt really the only option? Or can he be patient, let him get back on stage, and punish from there based on what option he chooses getting back on ledge?
edgegaurds are very character baed but SSBM tutorials did a great job breaking down spacey edgegaurds

part 1https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03V9XLEb-4k
part 2 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dAFCpnPx9A

.alizarin

Smash Apprentice
i've been trying to make my marth as linear as possible, going for guaranteed and low risk setups and whatnot and minimizing the amount of interaction that the other player has.

"dash dance/wd for stage control -> dtilt at their space/dd range (or grab if the opportunity exists), if on shield or spot dodged, dd away and reset to neutral, on hit -> jc grab -> dthrow for tech chase, uthrow for everything else and "are they in the air?" -> fair"

has been my game plan for a long time now, and i've only found moderate success. there are minor deviations that i do too obv, like wding in and reacting to their assumption that i'll dtilt, or not going for the grab at higher percents after the dtilt since the grab won't connect and just take the space the dtilt gives me, but for the most part, the above is my game plan. i figure the only possible issues would be my punish game, my dd, or just the game plan.

so my questions are:

1) is my game plan even correct?

2) how do i space/mix-up my dash dance? i just get hit out of it a lot of the time, and i'm not sure if that's my spacing or my reaction time. i looked at lucien's guide for spacing and to space just outside their farthest reaching move and weave in and out from there and i've been trying to do that, so i guess it's possible that i'm just not recognizing what their farthest/fastest option is

3) how do i maximize my punish game? i often can't get more than two or three hits without ending the combo (i do try to end the string with them near or off the edge, though)

4) when they're in the air, is it optimal to swat them out of the air with a fair or move closer to threaten their landing options?

5) when zoning, is it optimal to use the threat of swinging or the swing itself? i read somewhere that it's best to swing as little as possible in the neutral and to only use dtilt if you have to swing, but people just tend to be aggressive with me and challenge my aerial space from a spot where i don't have the opportunity to react to their attack with my fair or dd away

Last edited:

BTmoney

a l l b e c o m e $
edit: nvm, I figured out this part but

--------------------
I may be incorrect but is there a point to doing wavedash back then dashing forward to cancel your momentum (especially after a down tilt)? I feel like that kind of movement just eliminates your available options. Unless you can instantly crouch that dash input that cancels your wavedash momentum.

Can you elaborate just a bit on that technique? I know what it is but I suppose I don't know the mechanics and I really only do it as an unnecessary mixup when approaching to throw off my opponents timing

Last edited:

net1234

Smash Ace
2) how do i space/mix-up my dash dance? i just get hit out of it a lot of the time, and i'm not sure if that's my spacing or my reaction time. i looked at lucien's guide for spacing and to space just outside their farthest reaching move and weave in and out from there and i've been trying to do that, so i guess it's possible that i'm just not recognizing what their farthest/fastest option is

When dashdancing seek to have a motive behind every input, you use your movement to either force them to a corner and outrange them from there and suffocate them, or you dash away to bait something, and punish its lag. i find a good way to make ur runaway punish game better is to shield pivot grab because its easier than a real pivot and against a lot of characters its good for catching cross ups.

3) how do i maximize my punish game? i often can't get more than two or three hits without ending the combo (i do try to end the string with them near or off the edge, though)
against the faster fallers there is a flowchart to follow somewhere but against the floatier characters you force them to the edge or into the air, hold stage control, and chip on damage until you can hit them with a kill move. there arent many combos u have on good di

4) when they're in the air, is it optimal to swat them out of the air with a fair or move closer to threaten their landing options?

try to go under them because directly above you is where you have the most priority, there is nothing they can do to force their way through that move than dj or airdodge and you can catch both. if their above on a top platform make sure to respect them tho cuz they can punish a lot of u stuff easily with shield drop.

5) when zoning, is it optimal to use the threat of swinging or the swing itself? i read somewhere that it's best to swing as little as possible in the neutral and to only use dtilt if you have to swing, but people just tend to be aggressive with me and challenge my aerial space from a spot where i don't have the opportunity to react to their attack with my fair or dd away
similar to dash dancing, dash dancing is a tool to make your opponent react, its like a pseudo approach that either makes them approach or retreat. using ur movement u threaten them or "zone" them and make them react. if you know they will be aggressive towards your dash dance you have no need to be aggressive just punish them. if you notice you keep getting pushed to the edge of the stage like this you need to realize they may be using your reactions to their moves and forcing you back. this is probably why you cant react, because you have bad stage control.

/formatting whatever its good **** just read it im too lazy to fix it

Last edited:

Fatomsk2

Smash Rookie
PP, could you elaborate on your thoughts on Marth in doubles?

Or anyone. I want to talk about marth in doubles.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
i've been trying to make my marth as linear as possible, going for guaranteed and low risk setups and whatnot and minimizing the amount of interaction that the other player has.

"dash dance/wd for stage control -> dtilt at their space/dd range (or grab if the opportunity exists), if on shield or spot dodged, dd away and reset to neutral, on hit -> jc grab -> dthrow for tech chase, uthrow for everything else and "are they in the air?" -> fair"

has been my game plan for a long time now, and i've only found moderate success. there are minor deviations that i do too obv, like wding in and reacting to their assumption that i'll dtilt, or not going for the grab at higher percents after the dtilt since the grab won't connect and just take the space the dtilt gives me, but for the most part, the above is my game plan. i figure the only possible issues would be my punish game, my dd, or just the game plan.

so my questions are:

1) is my game plan even correct?

Dtilt is not a combo move even when you hit with it. You should not be going from Dtilt into grab but Dtilt into positional advantage. If you can get the grab then go for it but it is by no means guaranteed. I know you mentioned that but I think Dtilt into advantage should be a staple plan and not Dtilt into grab.

You should also be looking to pull them into you sometimes. This is partly done with zoning, something I do not make much use of(but should) as I prefer to approach but something Marth can do very well. I think this ties into your concern about effective gameplan and also of course your zoning concern.

To elaborate more on your second concern(which I think is most central), you also need to watch video 2 of Lucien's series about reading in that threatening range. Learn what good options you have there, what theirs are, and the counters to each. If you are just blindly shooting in matchups you will be confused about hits and what does not hit.

1. it's alright but needs to be fleshed out more (tldr)

3. Depends on matchup and other factors. Use 20XX to practice CGs/tech chases. Otherwise learn pseudo combos(like stuff to do after Dtilt or Fair that is CC'd). Without more specifics it is impossible to help more than this.

4. Both. Watch my play vs Armada at Apex 2015 when he was Peach. I would routinely go up there for a hit but I also jumped sometimes without swinging immediately so he had to worry about me coming up or not. Developing juggles for matchups and stages is key.

5. Retreating Fair is essentially unpunishable. Nair and Fair in place are pretty safe, and Dtilt in place can be as well. These types of actions control your space, meaning if someone wants to come in and try to hit you then they likely cannot because you are throwing a move out around that time(sometimes anyway). Zoning can be used for many purposes included offensive ones, but I suggest first getting used to controlling space and observing how your opponent responds.

edit: nvm, I figured out this part but

--------------------
I may be incorrect but is there a point to doing wavedash back then dashing forward to cancel your momentum (especially after a down tilt)? I feel like that kind of movement just eliminates your available options. Unless you can instantly crouch that dash input that cancels your wavedash momentum.

Can you elaborate just a bit on that technique? I know what it is but I suppose I don't know the mechanics and I really only do it as an unnecessary mixup when approaching to throw off my opponents timing
If you don't feel it is necessary, then don't do it.

I like it because I am playing off of how I could approach or give the visual cue like I would approach in dash forward(and stall instead) and I am also staggering my timing to see how the opponent responds.

PP, could you elaborate on your thoughts on Marth in doubles?

Or anyone. I want to talk about marth in doubles.
PPU and Cactus honestly know more about this than I do.

Marth has to not abuse movement much at all in teams. Teams is about simplicity and minimal actions. For this reason, Marth will likely have to zone more in teams. Since his combos are also usually long, he has to support more or find ways to secure quick gimps/big hits without much time.

Cactus has found a way to circumvent some of the movement issue by making great use of platforms for example to draw opponents away from their teamwork positions and then knocks them away to go and 2v1 the other opponent. That is also something worth trying.

I personally haven't tested Marth teams stuff in maybe a year or more so I do not feel comfortable saying more than that.

BTmoney

a l l b e c o m e $
If you don't feel it is necessary, then don't do it.

I like it because I am playing off of how I could approach or give the visual cue like I would approach in dash forward(and stall instead) and I am also staggering my timing to see how the opponent responds.
I kind of exaggerated my question to make sure I got a holistic response :-)

But anyways yeah I like the technique and you use it pretty much how I thought. I don't have the control or spacing yet to make such subtle and effective use of it though. You really set up some very tense and awkward moments with that movement lol

Ben Zed

Smash Apprentice
Slippi.gg
BENZ#0
(this was kind of a stupid wall-of-text post with no real direction, so I'm just editing it because I can't delete it. If a mod can delete it then do so by all means.)

Last edited:

townes

Smash Apprentice
Through the inspiration of PewPewU vs Hbox and intense training, I've gotten very proficient at the forward pivot -> fsmash off of a grab on jigglypuff. My question is: Is the forward pivot tipper from grab viable or important against any other characters. I was particularly wondering about Peach and Samus. I assume now that If they DI away even pivot tipper won't connect. Are there any characters this same technique works on which would be applicable to try for?

1MachGO

Smash Ace
Any threads for Marth combos?
Like most characters, Marth's combos are very DI dependent. Fair strings are legit on floaties/middle weights and uthrow combos are pretty well documented for fast fallers

Through the inspiration of PewPewU vs Hbox and intense training, I've gotten very proficient at the forward pivot -> fsmash off of a grab on jigglypuff. My question is: Is the forward pivot tipper from grab viable or important against any other characters. I was particularly wondering about Peach and Samus. I assume now that If they DI away even pivot tipper won't connect. Are there any characters this same technique works on which would be applicable to try for?
Its legit against Peach if she DIs incorrectly. Nothing is guaranteed against either character, though.

Last edited:

Xianos

The Legendary Failure
How do I not get autocombo'd by falcon? it just feels like as soon as I get grabbed no matter how I DI I get double up air knee'd before I can blink :/

Last edited:

AustinRC

Smash Lord
DI'ing down and away can help. I do believe Falcon has auto combos on Marth though at medium to high percents though so it's pretty much a guessing game on DI, however playing against a high level player they'll react to it regardless. Something that is kind of jank that works sometimes is hold down and away after they throw and mash down B.

Binx

Smash Master
Yeah you have to DI down and away at low percents and then they try to guess your reaction if they think we will shield they go for the regrab if they think we will dash dance they might try to knee if they think we will attack they will do a tight dash dance and if they think Marth will run at them then they probably should nair?

So you basically just have to mix up your options on wakeup and then its in neutral again where Marth wins.

BTmoney

a l l b e c o m e $
Honestly the best solution is to not get hit and that's my extra emphasized goal when fighting falcon. This is nontrivial.

Whenever I get wrecked by a falcon combo I think about how I could have stopped it and the answer is you really can't a lot of the time (DI away and try to get to the ledge, or fair them out of their attempts if they get a little too ambitious). Really this is one of those avoid it not how do I deal with it situations. It's kind of like asking how to not get hit by sheiks down throw fair, but not as bad.

Something that'll go a long way is not getting grabbed and dash dancing appropriately to deal with falcon's nair but that's a finesse/experience thing. Crouch canceling and ASDI down are also decent vs nair

Last edited:

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Dtilt is not a combo move even when you hit with it. You should not be going from Dtilt into grab but Dtilt into positional advantage. If you can get the grab then go for it but it is by no means guaranteed. I know you mentioned that but I think Dtilt into advantage should be a staple plan and not Dtilt into grab.
I think the positional advantage is worth noting as the most tangible gain from landing a dtilt in this situation, but there's something to say about the resultant stagger of the opponent. They're likely to do something immediately upon exiting hitstun, so looking at it that way it becomes a marginally more rewarding case of gained positional advantage IMO.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
You can definitely pseudo combo off of Dtilt, but I prefer not to get into that to help people break the hit into combo mentality some can have. Dtilt into observe is easy enough to use to get pseudo combos when focused upon imo.

I always thought that Dtilt was something that you reacted with. As in if you manage to get tipper spacing, then you do not have guaranteed follow-ups, but it is a good position to be in. If you manage to hit with the base you can sometimes get a situation where the person is in the air and close enough to you that I think you can legitimately grab someone. However, this always seemed DI dependent. Obviously, % and Char. dependent as well.

Are Up Throws into Forward Airs/ Upairs the only thing up throws are good for? I really cant think of anything else they would be good for :p
Marth's throwing will not always get him something guaranteed like Shiek's Dthrow. However, throwing is still powerful for all characters since it forcibly removes some options from you opponent. Suddenly, your opponent no longer has the ability to roll, spot dodge, or shield. Nor be able to use other attacks. Instead all they have is a singular jump (for most), specials, aerials, a single dodge, and that is it.

The next powerful thing about this is with the limited evasion in the air and Marth's natural disjoint is far more apparent. If you Uthrow someone as Pichu there is a very good chance that Pichu will not have anything to win out over another character's aerials due to his disjoint. Marth on the other hand can consistently beat out most specials and aerials in the game. This further reduces the options characters get to work with when coming back down from the air to the stage.

If you do it right Marth should generally be able to 0% - death most any character in the game since you end up either getting your guaranteed chain of attacks or you get to flat out beat options your opponent chooses to use in the air.
=================================================​
To answer your question, Uthrow is good for other things. As I hope I got across throwing does not have to achieve something like guaranteed follow-ups. What throwing can accomplish is giving yourself a way to set-up into a better situation than previously.

townes

Smash Apprentice
Good point Xeylode. I definitely feeel that way against samus and peach. Most of the time dthrow on samus won't lead to anything, but you can scout out DJ's with uair and fair and actually get some good damage from a throw situation. Samuses like to DJ after they got dthrown I promise.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Not as long, but yeah. He can use Dthrow/Fthrow at lower percents and I like it because it helps you get to percents where you can hit guaranteed stuff on uthrow on platforms.

overstepss

Smash Rookie
So I've been thinking about trade-offs between nair/fair as mentioned earlier and after a bit of studying I think I can articulate some situations where I prefer one over the other.

• When a fast faller is by close to the corner at low-med percents: if I feel confident that I will hit with my aerial, I generally prefer nair here. Since it has high base knockback it's more likely to push them off the stage. This I find especially useful vs CF
  • When a midweight is next to the edge: while nair pushes them off, I find that relatively often I can get a nice fair -> fsmash combo here
  • Spacie in center stage at lowish percents: I find that I can get a late inner fair -> grab, while nair just pushes them away, so I prefer fair in this situation
  • Comboing against midweights: I generally find that fair combos better than nair against midweights
  • Against jiggs: ac nair to run, wd fsmash? I don't know if this is a thing but I get this from time to time and it always feels nice to land
  • In shield, opponent trying to bait out a spotdodge: I find nair oos is a decent gtfo move.
  • Predicting an opponents (fox, falco) full hop to escape: I find that nair often misses here and fair does a much better job catching people out of jumps. It seems that you have to make a pretty large commitment though, so I do wonder if it's better to just try to catch them on the way down depending on the stage.
Other things:
One thing that makes aerialing risky is that it gets beaten out by dd grab or run up shield grab. However, early fair -> dj is safe against this.

Sometimes you can use autocancelled nair -> dash to trick people, but I find that this doesn't work that often.

At any rate, these are just somethings I noticed in the last month. I hope this was helpful to someone!

dRevan64

Smash Journeyman
I'd be pretty hesitant to call early fair to DJ "safe." Don't get me wrong, I get your literal meaning but then you're a marth, floating above someone else, without a DJ.

net1234

Smash Ace
How do I not get autocombo'd by falcon? it just feels like as soon as I get grabbed no matter how I DI I get double up air knee'd before I can blink :/
di down and away and if u think hes going to nair sdi the first hit so the 2nd one doesnt connect that will kill his combo

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Why are well spaced nairs a better zoning tool than fairs in the Fox matchup?
I don't think Nair is necessarily better but it is more popular. I think Nair is the popular one since you can AC it and the useful hitbox comes out about when Fox would attack more often than not. Nair has the downside of taking a long time to get to the useful second hitbox whereas Fair is more ambiguous(you could use it or not and it gets to a useful hitbox faster than Nair). A big part of successful zoning in any matchup is learning to make good use of both aerials, moreso Fair. I personally need to work on this so I won't elaborate more than that.

Edit: Other thing I should mention though I remembered later is first hit of Nair beats Fox's Nair approach so it's a bit more useful at getting out a move that can beat a common Fox approach quickly as well. That probably pushes it toward more useful than Fair on average.

Last edited:
Edit: Other thing I should mention though I remembered later is first hit of Nair beats Fox's Nair approach so it's a bit more useful at getting out a move that can beat a common Fox approach quickly as well. That probably pushes it toward more useful than Fair on average.
Not sure what you mean on this. Fair would seem equally as valid and still more preferred.

If Marth is airborne for some reason you can attempt to time an aerial in tandem with Fox's spacing to you in the air. Normally this being short hop heights a raising or falling Fair seems to work equally as well given the fact the move hits from 4-7 frames giving you a larger window to work with in countering fox. The first attack frame might be lack luster as you hit up high first, but so would Nair as its hitbox comes out on 6 rather than 4.

Not to mention that should you fail to time/adjust yourself properly a trade on first hit of Fair is preferable to a trade with 1st hit of Nair.

If we want to aim to hit with the 2nd hit of Nair only (first being a bonus), then frame 15 for a hitbox to me seems like you are gambling on situation. That is not bad, but it sort of differentiates the situations for Fair/Nair. Fair is far more easily suitable to reactionary choice.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Well, Nair first hit leads to the second so you can either build more damage at lower percent, potentially pseudo combo higher percent, and get an edgeguard at higher percent. You never really hit with just the first hit in my experience and when watching others.

I do think the differently angled hitbox of Nair and the perhaps equal or 1 frame faster useful hitbox of first hit can make it a better choice than Fair. That is, if you're close enough to where you cannot react.

You bring up a very important point that Fair is better when you can react. I totally agree, as Fair is still really fast and you have a MUCH higher chance of following up off of it. If you can hit with one over the other and especially if you can react to choose, always choose Fair(unless dealing with CC in some circumstances).

The reason I worded my earlier response as I did is because I'm guessing most people will not be reacting but more likely to be guessing when they zone or throw out a defensive move. If this is the case then Nair is usually far better since there is more hitbox to cover a SH Nair or some other grounded approach Fox can do. You also get the auto cancel so you can move away or do another attack if that did not work(you can AC with Fair but there's more time where a hitbox isn't present for Fair...unless you move backwards maybe which is a separate issue but I prefer not to give up stage).

Your reasoning is exactly why I said sometime after Apex that I will be Nairing more often when I am unsure of a situation and Fair'ing more as I feel more confident in my read on my opponent.

I can agree these distinctions.

Nair usually fails for first hitbox in situations where you are moving around too much. If you fast fall a Nair or move around wildly to the side with it often times the 1st to 2nd hitbox connection fails. However, that trait is virtually gone in situations where you move around very little allowing time for 1st hitbox to lead into the 2nd one. It almost because like a normal nair lol Getting out a long lasting hitbox in a general area to threaten that space.

tonic

Smash Cadet
Hey PP,

In this video, one way you talk about dealing with lasers is to jab after getting hit by one to stuff falco's aerial/ground approach. I'm wondering, why jab over sideB? As far as I can see, sideB can true combo and lead to big damage/a KO/advantageous stage position, whereas jab merely resets back to neutral (although slightly in your favor). Both are disjointed (though jab has slightly more range). You can also use sideB at any point in your movement. Is there something I've been missing? I've been incorporating jab into my game and it's working great, but I haven't tested sideB much and I'm just theorycrafting now.

Also, do you think take laser -> SH fair is ever a good idea?

EDIT: oops, just realized jab is actually 2 frames faster than sideB. Maybe that's it haha.

Last edited:

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Speed and range and also the hitbox is in a useful place much faster. Plus you can often get pseudo combo setups off of jab. Side B is too likely to trade or lose.

Top Bottom