• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important Carefully Ask PPMD about the Tiara Guy

Beat!

Smash Master
I tried practicing that for a while, but I never really got it down consistently so I gave up and settled for WD down dtilt instead.

Bones0

Smash Legend
Yeah pivot grab is free it's not even a tech lol

I meant like pivot dtilt.
I didn't think Umbreon menat pivot dtilt. I thought he was just talking about pivot grab/fair/nair.

Like Beat!, I tried to pivot dtilt for an hour or something and couldn't even get some improvement in it. The few times I did get it, it seemed like I was inputting the dtilt on the pivot frame, but I kept dash attacking or just not turning around at all.

Yo, Kadano, is there an angle I can press on my stick that will allow me to pivot and dtilt?

Rarik

Smash Journeyman
So, for the uninformed, what does a pivot grab of the non-true-pivot variety look like?

I have a little game to play here for everyone.

Question: How to deal with Falco lasers in a 'neutral' setting?
Rules: Describe what YOU do. Do not describe what you THINK you should do. Then, give reasons for this approach.

Example: I ask myself this question. Say Marth/Falco on FD. No platforms to use. SO, I try to depend upon Falco getting impatient and only shield once I see a laser coming at me followed by wavedash back at any distance. On stages with platform try to mix in staying on platforms to get falco to come at me instead.

dRevan64

Smash Journeyman
Rules: Describe what YOU do. Do not describe what you THINK you should do.
I like this game.
Generally I try my darndest to powershield. If I suck that day and can't I sorta have to pay attention to how he's lasering since falcos tend to have a pattern–dashdances mixed up with lasers and then maybe a nair approach if they feel safe going in, etc. The reason for the powershielding is obviously that when you don't have platforms, it's the option that gives you the most freedom and threatens them the most. Paying attention to the laser pattern and maybe getting them caught in that pattern can get me a grab.

I don't think this is necessarily the best way to handle the situation but that's what I do.

Bones0

Smash Legend
I PS and **** 'em up. lol Even if they're shooting low or high lasers, I'm using a lot of shield + WD. I mostly WD back, but WDing in place and forward if they are far enough away can be useful. I also use a ton of dtilt for poking, and I'm not afraid to go for aerials up close when he doesn't have horizontal momentum because even if I get lasered out of a fair, I can just fair again and he can't do anything about it.

D

Deleted member

I didn't think Umbreon menat pivot dtilt. I thought he was just talking about pivot grab/fair/nair.

just pivot grab actually. pivot is basically looking from a conversion in the neutral game when the opponent moves like they have a PA when they really don't. it's functionally equal to DD grab on a bait (not when you're using DD to take stage space to set PA), it just has different execution and placement. sword swings are always sketchy on conversion but especially so on pivots because it opens you up to crouch much worse when you can't properly set tip placement. grab is the best conversion for many reasons, but avoiding crouch and eliminating placement bias are two big ones. since marth's choices are grab or random sword moves, just stick to grab imo.

Bones0

Smash Legend
just pivot grab actually. pivot is basically looking from a conversion in the neutral game when the opponent moves like they have a PA when they really don't. it's functionally equal to DD grab on a bait (not when you're using DD to take stage space to set PA), it just has different execution and placement. sword swings are always sketchy on conversion but especially so on pivots because it opens you up to crouch much worse when you can't properly set tip placement. grab is the best conversion for many reasons, but avoiding crouch and eliminating placement bias are two big ones. since marth's choices are grab or random sword moves, just stick to grab imo.
What does PA stand for?

D

Deleted member

i got tired of writing out "positional advantage" and "positional disadvantage" so now I just put PA and PD and i hope people catch on because i'm lazy. honestly they're just as important as **** like l canceling in terms of winning, i'm surprised it's not part of the terminology prior to now.

Bones0

Smash Legend
i got tired of writing out "positional advantage" and "positional disadvantage" so now I just put PA and PD and i hope people catch on because i'm lazy. honestly they're just as important as **** like l canceling in terms of winning, i'm surprised it's not part of the terminology prior to now.
L-canceling doesn't really have an acronym either though. >.>

(The L in SHFFL doesn't count).

AustinRC

Smash Lord
So can anyone tell me how to better edge guard Sheik as Marth? I found myself really struggling trying to edge guard a Sheik player this past weekend. The player was going low and doing wall jumps to needle turn around to grab the ledge, it was very difficult to get around.

FrootLoop

Smash Lord
Walljump -> needle turn around only grabs the ledge on select stages right? I didn't think it would work on YS/FoD/BF/PS.

You can maybe just do a ledgehop down air to hit them out of it on FD/DL.

AustinRC

Smash Lord
All three games were on FD. Yeah I tried that at one point but I couldn't get the timing down. I was thinking about taking the ledge and dropping off and fairing him into the stage before he could wall jump but that seems a bit risky.

Bones0

Smash Legend
All three games were on FD. Yeah I tried that at one point but I couldn't get the timing down. I was thinking about taking the ledge and dropping off and fairing him into the stage before he could wall jump but that seems a bit risky.
What about ledgedropping and side-Bing immediately so you regrab the ledge regardless of if you hit him or not?

Kadano

Magical Express
Yo, Kadano, is there an angle I can press on my stick that will allow me to pivot and dtilt?
Didn’t follow this thread for a while so I didn’t notice your question until now. I read a thread from 2008 where someone wrote that Magus checks whether people need him by searching for his name, so I thought maybe I should do this too – and indeed.

The criterion for a pivot is a dash input (|x−128|≥64). The only attack a dash input’s value can trigger is a side smash unless it is held there.
Unfortunately, “fresh” x values that far away from 128 can only trigger dsmash and fsmash. Therefore, the answer to your question is no.
In case you wonder, holding the control stick slightly upward on the dash prior to pivot does not help at all.

D

Deleted member

no one's "approval" matters lol, but you're not going to get very good at this game if you don't have some people to bounce ideas off of.

Crawfish

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3540-1393-8146
can someone tell me uthrow forward b against C. falcon works? like, against human beings? cause i don't have any human beings to help me.
and i mean, like, uthrow, forward b, grab, and repeat. at 40ish% to 70ish%

AustinRC

Smash Lord
Marth's not too bad in teams. Especially when he's teamed with the right characters, like Fox, Falco, Sheik or Puff imo. Also would you mind watching a set of mine and critiquing it a bit? I could use some fresh views on the set.

D

Deleted member

Marth's not too bad in teams. Especially when he's teamed with the right characters, like Fox, Falco, Sheik or Puff imo. Also would you mind watching a set of mine and critiquing it a bit? I could use some fresh views on the set.

sure i can do that.

marth is awful in teams. marth has the 2nd worst combo weight in the game after mewtwo, can't do anything to get out of teams combos or juggles, his recovery sucks, he can't account for tip placements reliably with 3 people on the screen, he can't save his teammate, he has a hard time being saved, he's easily walled out of a fight while the other team gets to work on his teammate, he sucks at holding stock, his kill set-ups are easily interrupted and he has no real kill moves if your opponents DI everything up, he has no real semblance of stage control, it's basically impossible to do extensive juggles and combos, you have to shield and marth's shield options are ass. all of marth's character assets are completely nullified in teams with no advantage whatsoever and he's a consistent source of exploitation since any other viable character from singles besides marth is also viable in teams, so as long as he's teamed with a viable singles character, the marth is always a liability to his team simply by being so much worse by default. whenever i play against a team with peach and another character, i fight the other character and stay away from peach. whenever i fight a team with marth and another character, i just **** the marth because he can't do anything about it, and any smart opposing team will do the same thing because he's so bad in teams that it's just free wins.

Bones0

Smash Legend
How does Marth have the worst combo weight (I'm assuming you're including gravity in with weight) after Mewtwo? Fox and Falco easily have the worst combo weight. Also, Roy is just a FFing version of Marth. Link, Pikachu, and the Marios are all about as bad as Marth, and probably worse. Then there's Pichu... LOL

Just super saiyan.

Purpletuce

Smash Lord
It probably was based on his feeling. I'd say the most combo-able weight would be heavy enough they don't shoot out of reach, but not fall fast enough that they can easily land and get tech options. I'd say because of their fallspeed, spacies are a better weight to get out of combos in teams than Marth.

I'd say Marth is one of many characters who are about equally bad in terms of combo weight. I also wouldn't say M2 isn't the worst off (floaty enough to get out of some things).

D

Deleted member

marth and mewtwo get way more combo ***** than fox and falco do in teams.

TheCrimsonBlur

Smash Master
Marth gets punished harder per opening than any other character in the game; his combo weight is atrocious. Basically every grab->attack in the game works on him. Doc's throw -> armpit punch. Fox uthrow->uair. FALCO uthrow->uair.... What Falcon and Sheik are able to do to him per grab is downright criminal, and we should all be thankful that most Falcons and Sheiks are too bad to know how to do it properly.

At least Mewtwo has a recovery that doesn't get A-B-C'd by invincibility bs.

The fact that you'd even bring up the spacies' wonderful weight (which basically reduces many punishes to hard-to-react techchases with low frame leniency due to shine), shows a deep fundamental misunderstanding of #thaStruggle and a distinct lack of pessimism, which frankly I don't appreciate in my Marth boards, especially from filthy Falco mains.

[the difference between Marth and Fox weight is that if Marth was ever in a Falcon grab like the video you linked, Falcon wouldn't even need a teammate (or terrible DI) to touch of death him]

Top Bottom