• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Captaining Project M: Olimar Discussion

GeZ

Smash Lord
So one trick that I used a few times but didn't remember until now was falling Uair as a combo starter. Like I would fall through a platform with Uair, which functioned as well as most Uairs that can start combos. I'm going to remember to keep it in mind as a nice trick in any case.

And on the subject of Olimar's aerials, I think that he has a good ability to not get grabbed after an aerial because of his good range on his normals (I've got Fair and Bair in mind) and for characters who have too much range on their grab (looking at Marth) He can use Nair and land on the other side of them.

Nair can also be strung together pretty well at low percents which is nice as it can help you transition from your grounded tilts or dash attack to your aerials or smashes. What do you guys think of his range game in relation to how he'll deal with grabs?

GeZ

Smash Lord
Theorycrafting more. Like, taking the information you know about Olimar in Brawl, and extrapolating that he has been ported very directly, what do you think of his moving into the Project M meta? His range is formidable as the damage on it is consistent, so how do you think he'll deal with the metagame and its characters? I feel like he'll place highly simply for his good range/ combo ability/ damage and some of his new tricks that the Melee environment will grant him.

When I was playing last I had a funny moment where I was grabbed by Marth, but near instantly got out of his grab because I had triggered a Dsmash before the grab and the Pikmin had still followed through when I was grabbed. It was strange, but not bad, and made me think of the implications of some of Olimar's moves delay, and the possibility of countering grabs (or grabs being unintentionally countered) by Pikmin hitting (attached White Pikmin exploding).

JOE!

Smash Hero
The sheer damage output + kill power he wields will make him fearsome.

Couple that with very potent range thanks to his disjoints actually being other entities to take hits and an extreme grab, you got yourself a great character as long as you dont get knocked off too much :p

GeZ

Smash Lord
Or at all lol. Spiking his tether is a breeze according to the Dev I play with and he's made me believe it. Surviving off stage encounters relies on a lot of magic and skill.

Mr.Pickle

Smash Lord
Actually blue seems to have a water effect added to it, as it didn't have any affects in brawl. I honestly doubt I'd play this character seriously, but having said that, I do find him incredibly interesting. My first impressions of the character is that once the meta progresses a bit for him, and a good deal of his tech is learned, he'll be one of the higher tiered characters.

mYzeALot

Smash Journeyman
I am so hyped for Olimar, I'm so excited to discover all the goodies he has to offer. It is kind of cool that they added that water effect to the blue pikmin, even though it doesn't have anything to do with water properties.

QQQQQQQ7777777

Smash Champion
so to break them down...

Purple: Kills
White: Raw damage
Yellow: Range
Red: Combos
Blue: "Balanced"?
Red: Combos/ Elemental: Fire
Yellow: Long Range/ Elemental: Electricity
Blue: Balanced/ Elemental: Null
White: Explosive/ Elemental: Poison
Purple: High Damage & Knockback/ Elemental: Null

This is just what I got from streams so if someone wants to edit my list go ahead.

QQQQQQQ7777777

Smash Champion
Water isn`t a Elemental in smash. There is only Fire, Poison, Ice, Shadow, Null, Stun, and Electricity.

EDIT: Updated List

mYzeALot

Smash Journeyman
Gez will you get a chance to play some Olimar today and share anything else you notice?

GeZ

Smash Lord
I played a few hours with him yesterday. There were changes. I'll relate what I saw and then you guys can ask away.

Pikmin don't hit with their element unless they have a bud or flower on their head. That means their damage is actually hobbled earlier on and the growth of power is much greater later as they go from leaves to buds to flowers.
Also, water Pikmin do have a water affect now. Don't know how it affects their hits but it looked neat as heck.
Pikmin seemed to survive more than they should, but that isn't news as much as it is a constant. Yellow Pikmin with a flower survived Ganon's Dair. It was pretty rad.
White Pikmin might only apply the flower effect on hit when they have a flower themselves. I don't think they hit with their element or apply the flower until they have a flower, though I'm not 100% on this one.
Also purple Pikmin hit like 3 trucks. In matches with Olimar vs Yoshi I would do short ish combo's that would hit for 60 some % from having just one purple pikmin in my line up.

One thing that's surprising and gives him a little bit of an edge when recovering is his UpB has an active hitbox all the way up until it grabs the ledge. So if they let go of the ledge and you've spaced it well his UpB will swat them, or potentially stage spike them. It's a nice little edge for him considering he has poor recovery.

As far as I can tell down B was fixed so it does reorder Pikmin like it should. So everything seems pretty tip top right now.
Questions, comments, concerns?

mYzeALot

Smash Journeyman
Do all of the elements of each pikmin hit each character equally? And does down b just put your first color pikmin to the back?

SSS

Smash Ace
you know what they should do for olimar, its so simple, they should make his little antena light bulb thing flash the color of the current pikimin he has so the user doesn''t have to run around to see what pikmin he has at the moment. so after every move that changes his pikmin his light bulb flashes.
I have been saying this since 2008.

Did you ever try something like dashdance-->dash forward-->wavedash back-->grab?
Or any sort of wavedash-->grab?
Or even wavedash-->fsmash?
He has so many good spacing tools that his out-of-wavedash game should be good. I suppose this is nerfed by his bad wavedash.
And he's teh ultimate onstage edgeguarder, correct? He's sounding pretty Marth-esque the more I think about it.

GeZ

Smash Lord
Thunderstomp is an electric attack. Yellow Pikmin are inmune to electric attacks ever since vBrawl.

I can't believe I forgot about this. Damn.

I have been saying this since 2008.

Did you ever try something like dashdance-->dash forward-->wavedash back-->grab?
Or any sort of wavedash-->grab?
Or even wavedash-->fsmash?
He has so many good spacing tools that his out-of-wavedash game should be good. I suppose this is nerfed by his bad wavedash.
And he's teh ultimate onstage edgeguarder, correct? He's sounding pretty Marth-esque the more I think about it.
He's got pretty good spacing, but his wavedash is pretty poor, and his grab is a bit slower than it was so WD grabbing would only be situationally useful. WD Fsmash on the other hand is a good idea. I don't know about ultimate onstage edgeguarder, but he's definitely excellent in that regard.

Do all of the elements of each pikmin hit each character equally? And does down b just put your first color pikmin to the back?

All elements do hit equally as far as I know.

Nyte42

Smash Rookie
I'm not sure if this has been asked yet, but have you noticed in the 3.0 trailer that Olimar's blue Pikmin sent C.Falcon straight down around 1:34 (Olimar's intro)? Is that a real mechanic from what you played, or am I just seeing things?

GeZ

Smash Lord
I'm not sure if this has been asked yet, but have you noticed in the 3.0 trailer that Olimar's blue Pikmin sent C.Falcon straight down around 1:34 (Olimar's intro)? Is that a real mechanic from what you played, or am I just seeing things?

I think the part of the trailer you're referring to has Olimar doing Dair.

Also, on an unrelated note, how do you guys feel about Olimar's Louie color being changed so that our captain is black? I really like it/ am happy they made my favorite color cooler.

Pikmin1211

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Pikmin1211
3DS FC
0044-3220-8865
Will Olimar have a Pikmin 3 alt? That would be awesome.
Also, new FSmash seems to have more start lag.
Guess Wavedashing into it won't be as cheap as I thought.
Also, how long is his Wavedash anyway?

GeZ

Smash Lord
Will Olimar have a Pikmin 3 alt? That would be awesome.
Also, new FSmash seems to have more start lag.
Guess Wavedashing into it won't be as cheap as I thought.
Also, how long is his Wavedash anyway?

All of his smashes and grab have considerably more lag, his Usmash being the only exception to this in that it feels exactly like vBrawls.
WD backwards into Fsmash will be great for spacing but punishable if they expect it.
Damn short, but usable.

Pikmin1211

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Pikmin1211
3DS FC
0044-3220-8865
All of his smashes and grab have considerably more lag, his Usmash being the only exception to this in that it feels exactly like vBrawls.
WD backwards into Fsmash will be great for spacing but punishable if they expect it.
Damn short, but usable.
Darn. Ah well. I'll just be short hopping all game anyway.

GeZ

Smash Lord
Darn. Ah well. I'll just be short hopping all game anyway.

Just be careful. Being in the air inherently limits your options and for Olimar specifically leaves him without his incredible reach as his aerials are for comboing rather than spacing. Short hop cautiously, and fear being offstage. A lot of characters get spikes for free on our recovery.

Pikmin1211

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Pikmin1211
3DS FC
0044-3220-8865
Just be careful. Being in the air inherently limits your options and for Olimar specifically leaves him without his incredible reach as his aerials are for comboing rather than spacing. Short hop cautiously, and fear being offstage. A lot of characters get spikes for free on our recovery.

Speaking of recovery, how far does Pluck boost? Like Cape?
And how many times can you use it? Once?

GeZ

Smash Lord
Speaking of recovery, how far does Pluck boost? Like Cape?
And how many times can you use it? Once?

It functions exactly like cape for recovery movement. Gives you the same lift and distance the first time and tapers off to being near useless every time after. The only real boon to our recovery is that the tether is an active attack all the way to the ledge. Like when Ivysaur edgegrabs it just edgegrabs because it's just a tether. It can't swat because it's not active at any point once it decides it's grabbing the ledge. Olimar's is active the whole way up and will righteously smite anyone who is not invincible on the ledge.

Pikmin1211

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Pikmin1211
3DS FC
0044-3220-8865
It functions exactly like cape for recovery movement. Gives you the same lift and distance the first time and tapers off to being near useless every time after. The only real boon to our recovery is that the tether is an active attack all the way to the ledge. Like when Ivysaur edgegrabs it just edgegrabs because it's just a tether. It can't swat because it's not active at any point once it decides it's grabbing the ledge. Olimar's is active the whole way up and will righteously smite anyone who is not invincible on the ledge.

Don't forget that tether can't be edgehogged.

Pikmin1211

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Pikmin1211
3DS FC
0044-3220-8865
Don't forget that if Olimar can dodge (Maybe with a double jump) he can DAir the edgeguarder to hell.
Or maybe just toss a Pikmin.

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
I'm looking forward to playing Olimar, but you know what'd be hilariously overpowered? If while grabbed you could mash the A button and have all of your current Pikmin gang up on the guy grabbing you. With 4 white Pikmin you could just take away a stock XD

Top Bottom