• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Captain Syrup Strikes Gold! - The Famous Leader of the Black Sugar Gang and Wario's Rival - Syrup for Smash

Which version of Syrup is your favorite?

• Classic Design (Wario Land, II)

• Modern Design (Shake It!!)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Commendedzuez09

Smash Cadet
It's really sad that they renewed the trademark twice just for that.

I really hate how they stripped him of his classic character and turned him into that. Thanks to the creation of WarioWare and the **** load of exposure it's gotten compared to Wario Land thanks to Smash, the majority now sees him that way: A lazy, fat, annoying, greedy farting couch potato biker who just gets people to make microgames and nothing else.

Meanwhile when he was added in Brawl, Wario Land got almost nothing whatsoever and they acted like he started gaining his popularity in WarioWare, defaulting him in that stupid biker outfit, make farting apart of his moveset, etc. all while pretending Wario Land never existed.

WarioWare will always be a reminder to me that the classic, macho Wario is never coming back and we're stuck with the Wario we have now. I'm not against WarioWare as a game or a franchise, but God, it just ruined him as a character.

Edit: Sorry for the little rant. I just hate how they completely changed his character for WarioWare.
I definitely agree, his classic character is dying which is really unfortunate. WarioWare sure did different things with Wario, but I don't think all of the blame should go to WW. Smash is to blame for not representing Wario Land enough, and it's really frustrating that a lot of people see Wario as a fat, lazy. farting couch potato. I 100% still blame the farting thing on smash though, he's only ever farted in a single microgame in WarioWare and it doesn't even look or function like the way it does in Super Smash Brothers.

Brawl was honestly weird for Wario. WarioWare didn't start Wario's popularity, and the whole Snake codec saying that really grinds my gears. I really don't see how WarioWare ruined Wario's character, he's just a bit lazier and ruder. He's isn't any grosser than Wario Land Wario tbh, and in WW they still depict Wario as being physically fit between Microgames & Cutscenes.

Oh, also on the Wario Land Shake It thing. It did sell pretty well, lower than the usual Wario Land title but did manage to pull over 1m units. When comparing Wario Land to WarioWare sales, Wario Land sales are on average higher and much more consistent than WW. Sakurai probably just has biased over the series.

Last edited:

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット
I'd like to be added to this support list. Syrup checks several boxes, being a female villain from a series with only one rep. (Kind of.)

I've really never had a problem with the way that Wario plays, since its on topic. I know a lot of Wario Land fans have a distaste for his more grody personality and the overwhelming favor of WarioWare inspiration. I think it gives the character a nice sense of duality. It's as though he wants to live a lazy and lavish lifestyle but the pursuit of greater luxuries is actually the thing keeping him from that.

D

Deleted member

I 100% still blame the farting thing on smash though, he's only ever farted in a single microgame in WarioWare and it doesn't even look or function like the way it does in Super Smash Brothers.
It's also frustrating that because of that ONE microgame and the completely made up Smash move that is the waft, almost everyone and their mother thinks farting is a part of his arsenal when it really isn't.

Commendedzuez09

Smash Cadet
It's also frustrating that because of that ONE microgame and the completely made up Smash move that is the waft, almost everyone and their mother thinks farting is a part of his arsenal when it really isn't.
Yea, if that's the case Sakurai was really digging for any material he could find so Wario could fit into his headcanon. Source Gaming says it comes from Japanese promotional material, which is even funnier. Imagine pulling moves from a single microgame or region-specific promotional material from WL4 instead of looking at what he does in his actual games.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Yea, if that's the case Sakurai was really digging for any material he could find so Wario could fit into his headcanon. Source Gaming says it comes from Japanese promotional material, which is even funnier. Imagine pulling moves from a single microgame or region-specific promotional material from WL4 instead of looking at what he does in his actual games.
Wait, what's this? He can perform a piledriver, has the strength to lift and chuck his opponents with one hand, and can punch the ground so hard he can make an earthquake? And you say all of those moves could be great for Smash? BLASPHEMY! He should pound them with his behind forwards and spin around on the ground to attack! YES! PERFECT REPRESENTATION!

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット
Man, I really love waft. I mean, I've come to love Wario's playstyle so much and it simply wouldn't be the same if he didn't have a time-dependent bomb to drop. Getting a conversion that leads to a nice combo string that leads into waft is deliciously satisfying. It is a shame that by the time Brawl came around WarioLand had taken a serious backseat to WarioWare. (Even funnier when considering that Wario was just thrown in trivially as the franchise's figurehead.) I would say Ultimate's Wario is easily the best though. I mean hey, we got the iconic shoulder bash. I know it isn't much, but it is proof that WarioLand fans are out here to appreciate any little detail we can grasp.

D

Deleted member

Man, I really love waft. I mean, I've come to love Wario's playstyle so much and it simply wouldn't be the same if he didn't have a time-dependent bomb to drop. Getting a conversion that leads to a nice combo string that leads into waft is deliciously satisfying. It is a shame that by the time Brawl came around WarioLand had taken a serious backseat to WarioWare. (Even funnier when considering that Wario was just thrown in trivially as the franchise's figurehead.) I would say Ultimate's Wario is easily the best though. I mean hey, we got the iconic shoulder bash. I know it isn't much, but it is proof that WarioLand fans are out here to appreciate any little detail we can grasp.
I'm glad the shoulder tackle is back in his moveset, really. I just wish we had more Wario Land than just that, a few throws, a rip which is only there to not make Wario's victory theme sound original, and a few spirits. Them putting in that stuff is great and shows there are Wario Land fans out there, but I wish we could've had more, like a few music tracks. Even if we only got like, 3 of them I'd be okay with that. Even something as small as Wario's Bull cap or Safari hat as a piece of headgear for Mii fighters would be a-okay with me.

I love the way Wario plays in Ultimate and I'm glad he's relevant in the competitive scene and that people want to play him too. Waft is quite literally his best move period. Speaking of the waft, if he HAD to keep some of that farting shtick with him in Smash, I'd say that'd be it. It's VERY satisfying to land and I actually quite love it when I hit opponents with it.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I'm glad the shoulder tackle is back in his moveset, really. I just wish we had more Wario Land than just that, a few throws, a rip which is only there to not make Wario's victory theme sound original, and a few spirits. Them putting in that stuff is great and shows there are Wario Land fans out there, but I wish we could've had more, like a few music tracks. Even if we only got like, 3 of them I'd be okay with that. Even something as small as Wario's Bull cap or Safari hat as a piece of headgear for Mii fighters would be a-okay with me.

I love the way Wario plays in Ultimate and I'm glad he's relevant in the competitive scene and that people want to play him too. Waft is quite literally his best move period. Speaking of the waft, if he HAD to keep some of that farting shtick with him in Smash, I'd say that'd be it. It's VERY satisfying to land and I actually quite love it when I hit opponents with it.
This is why Syrup needs enough support to be in. Just look at all the music swag DKC got just because of :ultkrool:showing up.

In any case, in the meantime, it's nice to see Wario get some due attention for elite players, especially given how much WW has been struggling to get out of its bad Wii U phase.

D

Deleted member

This is why Syrup needs enough support to be in. Just look at all the music swag DKC got just because of :ultkrool:showing up.

In any case, in the meantime, it's nice to see Wario get some due attention for elite players, especially given how much WW has been struggling to get out of its bad Wii U phase.
More of Wario Land in Smash is really why I want Syrup in. She'd bring some great arrangements of classic Wario Land tunes with her and maybe even Wario's caps in WL1 for Mii fighters too. I also just think she'd be an interesting character overall as the moveset potential is there. Even if there isn't a whole bunch of Wario Land music with her (one tune from each game, multiple tunes from WL1 or Shake It! for example) I'd still love it.

It's why I wrote the letter for a Mii costume of her to be included in Ultimate and be bundled with a music track too. Because I want more Wario Land. Her being playable will always be better than a costume but I feel that a costume is more likely.

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット

I definetely sympathize with all of this. Shouts out to the Project M Development Team for turning WarioWare into a Wario Land stage. Kitchen Island would make for a great stage, I'd love to see it in HD glory.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
More of Wario Land in Smash is really why I want Syrup in. She'd bring some great arrangements of classic Wario Land tunes with her and maybe even Wario's caps in WL1 for Mii fighters too. I also just think she'd be an interesting character overall as the moveset potential is there. Even if there isn't a whole bunch of Wario Land music with her (one tune from each game, multiple tunes from WL1 or Shake It! for example) I'd still love it.

It's why I wrote the letter for a Mii costume of her to be included in Ultimate and be bundled with a music track too. Because I want more Wario Land. Her being playable will always be better than a costume but I feel that a costume is more likely.
Also, another reason I want her in, if Shantae also does beforehand: Syrup vs. Risky Boots.

I mean, come on, who would not want the original GB pirate gal to test her mettle against her spiritual successor?

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット
Also, another reason I want her in, if Shantae also does beforehand: Syrup vs. Risky Boots.

I mean, come on, who would not want the original GB pirate gal to test her mettle against her spiritual successor?
Seeing her duke it out with K. Rool would be enough for me. Her Classic route could pin her against Toon Link, King K, and Ridley.

Glowsquid

Smash Journeyman
My ideal Wario representation would be a reworked Wario to tone down the Funny Farting Man aspect, playable Syrup and Ashley, and a lot more Wario Land stuff. So you can add me to the list I guess

btw, as some posts on the first page brought up the idea of Syrup appearing in WarioWare, I want to bring this up as it intrigues me so much

WarioWare Gold has a set of extras called Phones which are, well, phone calls with various characters. One of them, coded HEAD, reads the following:

Listen, stop calling! I already said I wouldn't do it! Wait, this isn't Wario, is it? Ugh, that guy's been pestering me to make games for him. He's always been a pest, and he's never going to be anything BUT a pest. If you see Wario, tell him my decision is final. No games, no way. What's that? My name? S...sorry, gotta run.
Why am I bringing this up? Because in different translations in gendered languages (and some claim the original Japanese script, though I've yet to find an transcript of that one), the person speaking is a woman, as shes uses female pronouns to refer to herself. There are no female characters in WarioWare for whom the above rant would make sense and Wario Land-wise, Wario barely interfacts with Queen Merelda before literally throwing her aside and Shokora kind of literally died and went to heaven. This leaves Syrup as the only woman who had extended interaction with Wario and for whom it would be in-charactered to be annoyed by.

Of course it could be Toadette (lol) or just nothing (though most of the phone calls can be identified as characters from the game - or outside the game for the one referencing Rhythm Heaven Megamix, so that would be odd), but hey, no harm in speculating right? It also isn't OOC for WW to reference Wario Land: the series has more references to WL than people think (including a Wario Land 3 microgame in Gold).

... but yeah, wot do u think. And how would you accept the hypothetical prospect of Syrup having a major role in a WarioWare game?

Flyboy

Smash Hero
My ideal Wario representation would be a reworked Wario to tone down the Funny Farting Man aspect, playable Syrup and Ashley, and a lot more Wario Land stuff. So you can add me to the list I guess

btw, as some posts on the first page brought up the idea of Syrup appearing in WarioWare, I want to bring this up as it intrigues me so much

WarioWare Gold has a set of extras called Phones which are, well, phone calls with various characters. One of them, coded HEAD, reads the following:

Why am I bringing this up? Because in different translations in gendered languages (and some claim the original Japanese script, though I've yet to find an transcript of that one), the person speaking is a woman, as shes uses female pronouns to refer to herself. There are no female characters in WarioWare for whom the above rant would make sense and Wario Land-wise, Wario barely interfacts with Queen Merelda before literally throwing her aside and Shokora kind of literally died and went to heaven. This leaves Syrup as the only woman who had extended interaction with Wario and for whom it would be in-charactered to be annoyed by.

Of course it could be Toadette (lol) or just nothing (though most of the phone calls can be identified as characters from the game - or outside the game for the one referencing Rhythm Heaven Megamix, so that would be odd), but hey, no harm in speculating right? It also isn't OOC for WW to reference Wario Land: the series has more references to WL than people think (including a Wario Land 3 microgame in Gold).

... but yeah, wot do u think. And how would you accept the hypothetical prospect of Syrup having a major role in a WarioWare game?
I'd be pretty happy with that! I'm not anti-WW at all - in fact Mona is one of my most-wanted first parties - and I love Syrup as a character which is why I support her! It'd be great to bring her back into the spotlight like that!

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
Yeah even if it's not a new Wario Land game, having the most prominent Wario Land character besides Rudy the Clown reappear in WarioWare would at least be a great gesture to show that Nintendo hasn't completely discarded the Land games. A couple extra Wario Land microgames besides the one Glowsquid mentioned here and there would be nice too.

Last edited:

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット
Yeah even if it's not a new Wario Land game, having the most prominent Wario Land character besides Rudy the Clown reappear in WarioWare would at least be a great gesture to show that Nintendo hasn't completely discarded the Land games. A couple extra Wario Land microgames besides the one Glowsquid mentioned here and there would be nice too.
Speaking of said clown, I always wanted to see Rudy as a Smash boss. I really think he'd work well, and it would be such a great throwback. I feel like he could've vibed with the Ruined Zoo in Brawl.

Commendedzuez09

Smash Cadet
I mean, we could always get another type of time-dependent bomb to drop. The WarioWare bomb, a Wario's Woods bomb? It doesn't really need to be an explosive fart in my opinion. I agree though, I've gotten so used to Wario having a move like that.

Commendedzuez09

Smash Cadet

I feel like if Syrup joined WarioWare, she would become more of a silly character. It would make it pretty weird if she ever had a big villain role with tons of minions again if she's goofing around at WarioWare Inc. It'll be nice for her to cameo or something along those lines, but I'd never want to see her become part of the main cast since I love her being the main villain in WL.

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット
I mean, we could always get another type of time-dependent bomb to drop. The WarioWare bomb, a Wario's Woods bomb? It doesn't really need to be an explosive fart in my opinion. I agree though, I've gotten so used to Wario having a move like that.
Well, the fart animation really lends itself to the move in its hitboxes and how quickly it comes out. A Wario Bomb would be sick, but it would have to explode in the man's hands to imitate the elements of the waft.

I feel like if Syrup joined WarioWare, she would become more of a silly character. It would make it pretty weird if she ever had a big villain role with tons of minions again if she's goofing around at WarioWare Inc. It'll be nice for her to cameo or something along those lines, but I'd never want to see her become part of the main cast since I love her being the main villain in WL.
I would much rather see WarioWare characters in a Wario Land venture. I think Wario World was a serious missed opportunity in regards to a 3D Wario Platformer. An Odyssey-esc Wario game that focused on him exploring the seven seas for treasure could be really cool. Syrup could be a great antagonist that is after the same thing as you throughout the game, leading her to often appear as an obstacle. Otherwise, Diamond City could be the game's New Donk City and explore how Wario became acclimated with the majority of the WarioWare cast.

p.s. you can always reply to two posts in one comment simply by hitting reply again while your post is still being typed. Helps reduce douple posts, not nitpicking you just mentioning what a Moderator likely would.
:ultwario:

Last edited:

Commendedzuez09

Smash Cadet
Well, the fart animation really lends itself to the move in its hitboxes and how quickly it comes out. A Wario Bomb would be sick, but it would have to explode in the man's hands to imitate the elements of the waft.

I would much rather see WarioWare characters in a Wario Land venture. I think Wario World was a serious missed opportunity in regards to a 3D Wario Platformer. An Odyssey-esc Wario game that focused on him exploring the seven seas for treasure could be really cool. Syrup could be a great antagonist that is after the same thing as you throughout the game, leading her to often appear as an obstacle. Otherwise, Diamond City could be the game's New Donk City and explore how Wario became acclimated with the majority of the WarioWare cast.

p.s. you can always reply to two posts in one comment simply by hitting reply again while your post is still being typed. Helps reduce douple posts, not nitpicking you just mentioning what a Moderator likely would.
:ultwario:
Hey man, the bomb exploding on Wario would be the best part of the move. Since the fart is supposed to be humorous, the bomb would have some slapstick humor to it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wesUROlPW8Q

D

Deleted member

I could've addressed alot of these comments sooner if i wasnt so sick these last few days lmao.

i'd say that's more of a Smash thing than a Nintendo thing.
Nintendo pushes that envelope just as much as Smash. They either talk about how gross he is or how Warioware is more integral to his character than Wario Land or both. Miyamoto commented how Wario couldn't be in nsmb cause he needed to fart.

https://www.mariowiki.com/List_of_Wario_profiles_and_statistics

WarioWare sure did different things with Wario, but I don't think all of the blame should go to WW.
That series is responsible for turning him into a pants pooping biker in the first place.

The only reason Wario was cursed with this app tier series is because different devs wanted to use a popular character to promote their new franchise and that happened because the original team behind Wario and the Wario Land games split up.

http://archive.videogamesdaily.com/features/ncl_nintendo_wwiv_apr06_p2.asp

Its all the more apparent by the fact that they barely use the character they shoehorned. Hes a cameo character in his "own" series.

Not only is his biker outfit ugly af but he sticks out like a sore thumb. Its a Mario character in a Rhythm Heaven series.

All he does is begin and end the plot ( cause a game where you play quicktime minigames desperately needs one ) by calling his so called friends to do all the work for him and hog all the money for himself. Matter of fact their friendship so bad that half of them left to work for another company, which future installments reset the only bit of development this series had lol.

99% of these minigames doesnt feature Wario and even the small amount he has are just random shenanigans, there are only 14 minigames ( and thats being generous since there are only 2 of them )
that are about his strenght greed, and the Wario Land games.

The series has more toilet humor than about minigames about Wario's character. 23 minigames, 2 minigame stories ( crygor's and wario mans ) , one whole entire kickstarter campaign, wario mans calls in game and wario, gold's story, and a mode that involves Wario farting in the player's screen to distract them.

Edit: i forgot to mention that the "Wario"ware series has a total of 1125 minigames and Wario only has 143 minigames. So 129 of his minigames are just random shenanigans.

Wario doesnt supplement the cast and vice versa. This series is a detriment to Wario's character and the other characters can stand on their own 2 feet just fine without Wario being shoehorned in.

I really don't see how WarioWare ruined Wario's character, he's just a bit lazier and ruder.
His games are grosser and calling him a bit lazier is an understatement. Let me remind that were talking about a Herculean treasure whos been retconned into a lazy biker that sits on his ass all day, eating unhealthy snacks and letting his so called friends do the dirty work of making quicktime minigames.

And now to adress an exaggeration

He's isn't any grosser than Wario Land Wario tbh, and in WW they still depict Wario as being physically fit between Microgames & Cutscenes.
His gross side consisted of cracking gross jokes, picking his nose every now and then when hes bored, and lazing around after a hard day of work which before warioware was only present in jp manuals and a q&a. His small trait of being gross appeared in Wario Land 2, 8 years after his debut.

And as for ww he couldnt even lift up a golden toilet.

We went from this

Wario_Defeats_Enemies_WarioWorld.png

To this.

Wariowaft.jpg

I know a lot of Wario Land fans have a distaste for his more grody personality and the overwhelming favor of WarioWare inspiration. I think it gives the character a nice sense of duality.
All that series did is turn 2 small traits of him being gross and lazy into his main traits and vice versa.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

damn bro that's cool but warioware and wario land are both fun
Look buddy if youre not bothered to read the most basic explanations then dont bother commenting on it since i never said the games themselves were bad.

Heres a tldr for people like you:

Wario doesnt supplement the cast and vice versa. This series is a detriment to Wario's character and the other characters can stand on their own 2 feet just fine without Wario being shoehorned in.
they barely use the character they shoehorned.
All that series did is turn 2 small traits of him being gross and lazy into his main traits and vice versa.

Abe 'n Munchie

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW 7902 4638 1107
I would love to see Captain Syrup return somehow!

Even if it's just as a Mii Costume this time around, we really need more Wario series repesentation in Smash! Especially the Wario Land games, since it's a big part of Wario's history that hasn't really appeared yet in the series. Also because the games are heckin' awesome!

Commendedzuez09

Smash Cadet
Nintendo pushes that envelope just as much as Smash. They either talk about how gross he is or how Warioware is more integral to his character than Wario Land or both. Miyamoto commented how Wario couldn't be in nsmb cause he needed to fart.

https://www.mariowiki.com/List_of_Wario_profiles_and_statistics
Nintendo doesn't push it as much as smash, and never has. Miyamoto didn't create Wario or develop any Wario games, also in the interview it seems like he was joking since he laughed right after. Even if he wasn't joking, in Super Mario 64 DS I don't remember Wario being gross and farting.

Its all the more apparent by the fact that they barely use the character they shoehorned. Hes a cameo character in his "own" series.

Not only is his biker outfit ugly af but he sticks out like a sore thumb. Its a Mario character in a Rhythm Heaven series.

All he does is begin and end the plot ( cause a game where you play quicktime minigames desperately needs one ) by calling his so called friends to do all the work for him and hog all the money for himself. Matter of fact their friendship so bad that half of them left to work for another company, which future installments reset the only bit of development this series had lol.

99% of these minigames doesnt feature Wario and even the small amount he has are just random shenanigans, there are only 14 minigames ( and thats being generous since there are only 2 of them )
that are about his strenght greed, and the Wario Land games.
Ugh. I'd say he has a decent-sized role in WarioWare games. I think the biker design looks pretty rad, especially in the Smooth Moves artwork and it helps him fit in with the rest of the cast.
Hogging all the money and his pals being upset at him, sounds pretty accurate to Wario's behavior in my opinion.

The series has more toilet humor than about minigames about Wario's character. 23 minigames, 2 minigame stories ( crygor's and wario mans ) , one whole entire kickstarter campaign, wario mans calls in game and wario, gold's story, and a mode that involves Wario farting in the player's screen to distract them.

https://www.mariowiki.com/Fruit_Fall
https://www.mariowiki.com/Wario's_Adventure

https://www.mariowiki.com/Practical_Joker
https://www.mariowiki.com/safecracker
https://www.mariowiki.com/Inch,_Worm!
https://www.mariowiki.com/Rain_of_Terror
https://www.mariowiki.com/What_Goes_In...
https://www.mariowiki.com/Power_Line_Pigeons

https://www.mariowiki.com/Poster_Child
https://www.mariowiki.com/Crowd_Control_(WarioWare:_Smooth_Moves)
https://www.mariowiki.com/He_Who_Smelt_It...
https://www.mariowiki.com/It'sa_Me,_Wario!
https://www.mariowiki.com/Toilet_Training

https://www.mariowiki.com/Eject_Reject
https://www.mariowiki.com/Navel_Force

https://www.mariowiki.com/Gold_Digger
https://www.mariowiki.com/Being_Nosy
https://www.mariowiki.com/Boot_Camp
https://www.mariowiki.com/Nose_Dive
Edit: i forgot to mention that the "Wario"ware series has a total of 1125 minigames and Wario only has 143 minigames. So 129 of his minigames are just random shenanigans.

How do these shenanigans really destroy his character? You still need to give me a better explanation of how the series ruins his character other than featuring whacky microgames. It's possible that the cast could stand in their own two feet but I'd say Wario's become a staple member of the cast, It's also very likely that Wario's inclusion at the beginning of the series helped it become more well known so it's not like Wario was totally useless.

His games are grosser and calling him a bit lazier is an understatement. Let me remind that were talking about a Herculean treasure whos been retconned into a lazy biker that sits on his *** all day, eating unhealthy snacks and letting his so called friends do the dirty work of making quicktime minigames.

And now to adress an exaggeration
Idk man, he's pretty buff in a lot of WW artwork and in Mega Microgames he was lifting dumbells during his free time. Eating unhealthy snacks doesn't really make him lazy, and overeating has been a Wario thing. Getting his WW friends to help him get microgames done quicker is just another ticket for easy cash, and it's not like he didn't do any work. Heck in Game and Wario it shows Wario working late at night programming some games. If Wario isn't treasure hunting, it isn't out of his character to be lazy, like sleeping all day. In Wario land 2 the dude can somehow sleep over the alarm, and when he's done with the adventure, the first thing he does is go back to sleep.

His gross side consisted of cracking gross jokes, picking his nose every now and then when hes bored, and lazing around after a hard day of work which before warioware was only present in jp manuals and a q&a. His small trait of being gross appeared in Wario Land 2, 8 years after his debut.
Those type of things is what he does in WarioWare, he doesn't go much further than that.

Also, I appreciate those images for comparison, but that explosive fart guy isn't WarioWare Wario, that's smash Wario.

Last edited:

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット
It really isn't worth the thesis. It would be sick if Wario could have incorporated more brute strength into his moveset for sure. Maybe a more appropriate downsmash? His forward smash honestly rolls quite well with his Wario Land portrayal. Never forget that strength can't be canonical in Smash, lmao.

WarioWare hasn't ruined his personality. As Blue Falcon said himself, Wario was a pretty ambiguous choice as a figurehead and isn't overtly present in every microgame. So how much of his image has it truthfully shown? Our problem here isn't the presence of WarioWare, its the absence of Wario Land.

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
A large portion of Wario's moveset is actually from Wario World. I haven't played it until pretty recently, so I didn't realize that at first. It's pretty crazy actually. Sure, I wish there was a little more Wario Land in his moveset, but it's not like it's all made up. And that's why Captain Syrup representing Wario Land would be really great - more fleshed out representation.

Commendedzuez09

Smash Cadet
A large portion of Wario's moveset is actually from Wario World. I haven't played it until pretty recently, so I didn't realize that at first. It's pretty crazy actually. Sure, I wish there was a little more Wario Land in his moveset, but it's not like it's all made up. And that's why Captain Syrup representing Wario Land would be really great - more fleshed out representation.
Eh...you saw that from WwwWario, right? The moves look pretty different to me, I don't see the connections to Wario World. I honestly feel if they took moves from Wario World, we would have a piledriver or a wild swing ding that functions like one. Since Sakurai has never confirmed the origins of the moves it's up to speculation. In my opinion, I don't believe any of his moves were pulled from Wario World.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Eh...you saw that from WwwWario, right? The moves look pretty different to me, I don't see the connections to Wario World. I honestly feel if they took moves from Wario World, we would have a piledriver or a wild swing ding that functions like one. Since Sakurai has never confirmed the origins of the moves it's up to speculation. In my opinion, I don't believe any of his moves were pulled from Wario World.
His back throw does kinda look like the Wild Swing Ding, so I guess that's something

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
I think Syrup is rad. A shame that Wario Land as a series got shelved after the original developers disbanded. I think Syrup's best chance in coming back to the spotlight is for her to appear in the Ware series, the prospect of a new Wario Land is sadly unlikely.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I think Syrup is rad. A shame that Wario Land as a series got shelved after the original developers disbanded. I think Syrup's best chance in coming back to the spotlight is for her to appear in the Ware series, the prospect of a new Wario Land is sadly unlikely.
Hey, never say never.

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット
Indeed... It's been 11 years since Shake It came out on the Wii. Mega bummer. Nintendo has so many sleeper IP's you worry if they'll ever return to any of them.
I always like to pretend Nair is a reference to Puffy Wario from Wario Land 2. I know it doesn't look the part, but, he does inflate like a balloon lmao.

Last edited:

BravadoMan_13

Smash Lord
NNID
ClassicRocker
Our problem here isn't the presence of WarioWare, its the absence of Wario Land.
This. This is the biggest problem I have for Wario in Smash. They treat WarioWare like it's his main series which is the complete opposite. I know there is so much potential for a much more Wario Land/World inspired moveset. His powerups, piledriver, shake mechanic, the Shake Punch, I wish that could be implemented. Wario deserves better.

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット
This. This is the biggest problem I have for Wario in Smash. They treat WarioWare like it's his main series which is the complete opposite. I know there is so much potential for a much more Wario Land/World inspired moveset. His powerups, piledriver, shake mechanic, the Shake Punch, I wish that could be implemented. Wario deserves better.
I urge you to check out Project M's Wario. Its a nice step in the right direction by balancing attributes from both series. Keeps the waft but replaces the Wario bike with a proper shoulder bash, for instance. His grab pummel even has a mugging effect that makes coins pop out of the enemy.

Commendedzuez09

Smash Cadet

You should check out Smash 2 Wario, my personal favorite but it doesn't do a good job of balancing attributes from both series. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qn8j2fWPrA Flat Wario and Crazy/Drunk Wario are incorporated in his move set, plus Fire Wario is his final smash.

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット
You should check out Smash 2 Wario, my personal favorite but it doesn't do a good job of balancing attributes from both series. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qn8j2fWPrA Flat Wario and Crazy/Drunk Wario are incorporated in his move set, plus Fire Wario is his final smash.
This no doubt used Project M's Wario as a basis. Looks to share it's Dair and Dash Attack animations. I love the drunk Wario move though! Awesome reference.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Nintendo doesn't push it as much as smash, and never has.
You havent backed your claim up. Half of these profiles literally debunk your claim.

Matter of fact let met also add Odyssey's description of his costume.

Wario Cap: A cap bearing a distinctive W. It doesn't fit well and kind of chafes.

Wario Suit : The kind of outfit that you want to wash at least once before you wear it.

Miyamoto didn't create Wario or develop any Wario games, also in the interview it seems like he was joking since he laughed right after.
Or maybe because they view him as a gross farting biker thanks to Wario ware.

Even if he wasn't joking, in Super Mario 64 DS I don't remember Wario being gross and farting.
SM64DS came out in 2004, That interview was from 2009.

Ugh. I'd say he has a decent-sized role in WarioWare games.
Ugh. He doesnt, where do you base that on?

Hogging all the money and his pals being upset at him, sounds pretty accurate to Wario's behavior in my opinion.
I never said it was ooc for him to manipulate others into doing the dirty work, i clearly said that the friendship between them is shoehorned in.

by calling his so called friends to do all the work for him and hog all the money for himself. Matter of fact their friendship so bad that half of them left to work for another company, which future installments reset the only bit of development this series had lol.

How do these shenanigans really destroy his character? You still need to give me a better explanation of how the series ruins his character other than featuring whacky microgames.

I CLEARLY said that these minigames involving gross humor is what butchered Wario's character.

I mentioned these random shenanigans because they have nothing to do with Wario's character. I dunno about you but Wario isnt the first thing that comes to my mind when i see someone knocking on a door or flipping a pancake.

It's also very likely that Wario's inclusion at the beginning of the series helped it become more well known so it's not like Wario was totally useless.
Nope, its actual marketing and having faith in your new ips. Rhythm Heaven on the ds isnt that far behind Warioware Touched sales wise.

Idk man, he's pretty buff in a lot of WW artwork and in Mega Microgames he was lifting dumbells during his free time.

Yeah he did that 2 times in inc and twisted and then it's immediately thrown out the window for him doing nothing but sit on his ass eating snacks.

He has trouble opening toilets in his Wario Man form and you conveniently forgot this lil tidbit.

And as for ww he couldnt even lift up a golden toilet.
Heck in Game and Wario it shows Wario working late at night programming some games. If Wario isn't treasure hunting, it isn't out of his character to be lazy, like sleeping all day. In Wario land 2 the dude can somehow sleep over the alarm, and when he's done with the adventure, the first thing he does is go back to sleep.
I dunno about you but using Wario using his Herculean strength to beat hordes of monsters in order to attain riches takes alot more effort than making 5 sec minigames.

Hence why i clearly said
and lazing around after a hard day of work
Those type of things is what he does in WarioWare, he doesn't go much further than that
Huge difference between manuals and in game material. Especially when its compared to

23 minigames
2 minigame stories ( crygor's and wario mans )

one whole entire kickstarter campaign called crowdfarter

wario mans calls in game and wario where he farts all the time

gold's story about stealing a golden toilet

and a mode that involves Wario farting in the player's screen to distract them.
I dont understand whats so difficult about that, where do you see this type of gross humor in the Wario Land games?

Last edited by a moderator:

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット
I dont understand whats so difficult about that, where do you see this type of gross humor in the Wario Land games?
Wario picking his nose several times in Shake It's cutscenes... Or even hints of it in Princess Shokora's ugly form. He is the poster boy for all things unsavory. I should also point out that, Wario wasn't really portrayed as "buff" until Wario Land 4 and his now recognizably massive arms were attributes perpetuated by his WarioWare design and Spinoff designs that followed it.

In Wario Land 1-3, Wario has a tubbier, stubbier, much less exaggerated appearance. I know his abilities often incorporate brute strength, but... The dude not being swole in Smash is actually kind of a nod to Wario Land's early days... Rather than the contrary.

Last edited:
Top Bottom