• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Captain Syrup Strikes Gold! - The Famous Leader of the Black Sugar Gang and Wario's Rival - Syrup for Smash

Which version of Syrup is your favorite?

• Classic Design (Wario Land, II)

• Modern Design (Shake It!!)

Results are only viewable after voting.
D

Deleted member

Wario picking his nose several times in Shake It's cutscenes... Or even hints of it in Princess Shokora's ugly form. He is the poster boy for all things unsavory. I should also point out that, Wario wasn't really portrayed as "buff" until Wario Land 4 and his now recognizably massive arms were attributes perpetuated by his WarioWare design and Spinoff designs that followed it.

In Wario Land 1-3, Wario has a tubbier, stubbier, much less exaggerated appearance. I know his abilities often incorporate brute strength, but... The dude not being swole in Smash is actually kind of a nod to Wario Land's early days... Rather than the contrary.
First of all im CLEARLY talking about this

23 minigames
2 minigame stories ( crygor's and wario mans )

one whole entire kickstarter campaign called crowdfarter

wario mans calls in game and wario where he farts all the time

gold's story about stealing a golden toilet

and a mode that involves Wario farting in the player's screen to distract them.
Second of all i never said he wasnt gross, i said that Warioware blows out of proportion.

And lastly you should be ashamed to call yourself a Wario fan.

Warioland4.jpg
1200px-Warioland2coverwario.png
WL2_WarioAttack.png
Bull_Wario_WL.png

Also here is this super swole and buff Warioware redesign youre talking about lmao

Wario_WarioWare_Mega_Microgames.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット
First of all im CLEARLY talking about this

Second of all i never said he wasnt gross, i said that Warioware blows out of proportion.

And lastly you should be ashamed to call yourself a Wario fan.

View attachment 239969View attachment 239970View attachment 239971View attachment 239974

Also here is this super swole and buff Warioware redesign youre talking about lmao

View attachment 239980
All of the artwork you posted is from Wario Land 4 when I said he was redesigned, with the exception of Bull Wario. (The only transformation that made him have massive arms.) I need not post a counter example to the WarioWare design since one was posted merely posts ago.

Also, I'm not ashamed of anything. Maybe a true fan of the character would find things to enjoy from both franchises.

D

Deleted member

All of the artwork you posted is from Wario Land 4 when I said he was redesigned, with the exception of Bull Wario. (The only transformation that made him have massive arms.) I need not post a counter example to the WarioWare design since one was posted merely posts ago.

Also, I'm not ashamed of anything. Maybe a true fan of the character would find things to enjoy from both franchises.
Nah a true fan wouldn't make things up just to have something to say.

here are all the links debunking your claim.

https://www.mariowiki.com/Gallery:Wario_Land:_Super_Mario_Land_3
https://www.mariowiki.com/Gallery:Wario_Land_II
https://www.mariowiki.com/Gallery:Wario_Land_3

Also heres Wario from his Virtual Boy title in his regular form.
VBWL-Wario_Barge_Position_Sprite_-redscale-.png

Im done with this nonsense, if yall like Wario being a gross farting biker and think some app tier series that barely features him is more important than his real line of games more power to ya but like i said dont waste my time making things up to defend your bias.

Commendedzuez09

Smash Cadet
You havent backed your claim up. Half of these profiles literally debunk your claim.

Matter of fact let met also add Odyssey's description of his costume.

Wario Cap: A cap bearing a distinctive W. It doesn't fit well and kind of chafes.

Wario Suit : The kind of outfit that you want to wash at least once before you wear it.
My claim was that Nintendo doesn't push it as much as smash, I've never seen Nintendo push the explosive farts or even come close to Wario's Smash 4 descriptions. Wario's overalls needing to be washed in Odyssey still doesn't come close to his smash depiction. For every description/bio that references Wario being gross (Which never takes him to the level of a 'pants pooping biker' ), I'll give you 2 that reference Wario being a greedy treasure hunter.

Or maybe because they view him as a gross farting biker thanks to Wario ware.
SM64DS came out in 2004, That interview was from 2009.
I'm pretty sure he was talking about Waft...but ok. True, the interview was after SM64DS but I don't think the image we see in that game is out of Miyamoto's head.

Ugh. He doesnt, where do you base that on?
The main story is about him getting more wealth using his company, plus he has the intro and ending microgames. In WW Gold we get to play Wario's Microgames 4 times in the story. He definitely has a bigger role than the rest of the cast.

I never said it was ooc for him to manipulate others into doing the dirty work, i clearly said that the friendship between them is shoehorned in.
Ok, that's fair. I don't necessarily believe it's a bad thing.

I CLEARLY said that these minigames involving gross humor is what butchered Wario's character.

I mentioned these random shenanigans because they have nothing to do with Wario's character. I dunno about you but Wario isnt the first thing that comes to my mind when i see someone knocking on a door or flipping a pancake.
Right, the microgames mostly involving Mona? Wario's Microgames, in general, have a focus on being greedy or collecting treasure. The reason that's the first thing that comes into mind is because of the lack of Wario Land.

Nope, its actual marketing and having faith in your new ips. Rhythm Heaven on the ds isnt that far behind Warioware Touched sales wise.
I got nothing to tell you if you don't believe Wario helped the franchise startup.

Yeah he did that 2 times in inc and twisted and then it's immediately thrown out the window for him doing nothing but sit on his *** eating snacks.

He has trouble opening toilets in his Wario Man form and you conveniently forgot this lil tidbit.
I could say it's a bit interesting how you conveniently forgot to mention the WarioWare intros with Wario lifting as it welcomes the players into the game basically. The struggling to open toilets is the outlier of the series, his boss microgame in WW Gold shows him bashing down enemies and stone wall with his shoulder bash.

I dunno about you but using Wario using his Herculean strength to beat hordes of monsters in order to attain riches takes alot more effort than making 5 sec minigames.

Hence why i clearly said
and lazing around after a hard day of work
Of course, that's a lot more effort than making microgames but I didn't say he did an equal amount of work. I said he's still doing work. The lazing around after a 'hard day of work' seems like more of a headcanon, since we don't know what he was doing right before Syrup invaded his castle to steal his treasures. All we actually see is Wario sleeping the during the day and has the ability to continue sleeping while a loud alarm is going off, plus being able to sleep through being picked up and tossed out of his castle.

Huge difference between manuals and in game material. Especially when its compared to
WarioWare obviously has more toilet humor in the series, but not the point of making him a pants poopin' biker. Also, Wario does have a notable booty shake while climbing up ladders in Wario Land 3 ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

I dont understand whats so difficult about that, where do you see this type of gross humor in the Wario Land games?
I don't, only elements of it.

D

Deleted member

I got nothing to tell you if you don't believe Wario helped the franchise startup.
Thats my line about everything you said. You've proven multiple times that you cant proccess the most basic information.

I brought up Rhythm Heaven as proof that the Ware series doesn't need Wario to succeed and that's all you processed?

Last edited by a moderator:

Commendedzuez09

Smash Cadet
Thats my line about everything you said. You've proven multiple times that you cant proccess the most basic information.

I brought up Rhythm Heaven as proof that the Ware series doesn't need Wario to succeed and that's all you processed?
Ya know Rythm Heaven has a pretty decent connection to WarioWare, right? Even bringing in the cast for one of the games with 'Wario...Where?'

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット

Drop the FC I'm trying to nair chain you into waft.
:warioc:

D

Deleted member

Maybe I shouldn't have brought up this kind of discussion regarding Wario.

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット
I feel like its maintained itself for the most part. Its kind of natural to bring up the Grossman Controversy when talking about a Wario Land character. I'd be down with a more origin-driven Wario. Captain Syrup would be even sweeter, though.

D

Deleted member

I feel like its maintained itself for the most part. Its kind of natural to bring up the Grossman Controversy when talking about a Wario Land character. I'd be down with a more origin-driven Wario. Captain Syrup would be even sweeter, though.
I'd love for both of those too. I'm alright with waft, to be honest with you. I just want that to be the only kind of farting he does in Smash. That's all.

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット
I'd love for both of those too. I'm alright with waft, to be honest with you. I just want that to be the only kind of farting he does in Smash. That's all.
I agree fullheartedly. The "oopsie waft" is my least favorite victory pose. It's just... distasteful. Wish he had one of him seated on a pile of treasure.

D

Deleted member

Drop the FC I'm trying to nair chain you into waft.
:warioc:
Imagine unironically typing this, you have fun with your deviant art fetish character lmao.

Nah dont worry about it, im done with this thread since alot of people lose sleep cause i dont think Warioware is important to Wario's character lmao.

D

Deleted member

I agree fullheartedly. The "oopsie waft" is my least favorite victory pose. It's just... distasteful. Wish he had one of him seated on a pile of treasure.
I wish instead of that one, he had a flexing pose like in Wario Land 4. Project M did that.

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット
I wish instead of that one, he had a flexing pose like in Wario Land 4. Project M did that.
Project M did a lot of justice to Wario Land as a legacy. And switching up WarioWare was a great decision because without Microgames its competetibely viable. Became a crucial counterpick in certain scenarios.

D

Deleted member

Project M did a lot of justice to Wario Land as a legacy. And switching up WarioWare was a great decision because without Microgames its competetibely viable. Became a crucial counterpick in certain scenarios.
Greatest part was that it was turned into a Wario Land stage. Really love how it looks in that game.

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット
Greatest part was that it was turned into a Wario Land stage. Really love how it looks in that game.
That's what I'm saying. Put a Wario Land setting out front and center in Tournaments and Streams. Nice little plug.
I was thinking, and, him lifting a nice heavy bench press would be sick also.

BravadoMan_13

Smash Lord
NNID
ClassicRocker
You should check out Smash 2 Wario, my personal favorite but it doesn't do a good job of balancing attributes from both series. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qn8j2fWPrA Flat Wario and Crazy/Drunk Wario are incorporated in his move set, plus Fire Wario is his final smash.
I thoroughly enjoyed that moveset of Wario. I love the use of the Flat and Drunk Wario and the Shoulder Bash flips. I do have an idea for a new Wario final smash too.

BravadoMan_13

Smash Lord
NNID
ClassicRocker
What's the idea?
This is based on an Action Replay code for Wario World. The code is called the Moon Jump in which you hold down the A button and Wario rises high into the air. When you have an enemy in hand, you can use the Moon Jump to lift the enemy high into the air and then proceed to piledrive them from high above the level. The piledrive meter would max out at 99.9 if I remember right.

So, my Final Smash idea would incorporate Wario's Jet Hat. Once you get the Smash Ball, you activate it and Wario dons his Jet Hat and flies into an opponent. This would be a cinematic type of Final Smash. Once it starts, Wario grabs an opponent and uses the Jet Hat to fly up high into the air. Then he would proceed to do the piledriver and use the Jet Hat to propel your opponent down to the ground at rapid speed creating high impact. It would be one of the more powerful Final Smashes in the game dealing approximately 75-80% damage. I just randomly thought of it and thought it would be the best fit for a Final Smash that involves Wario's strength and at least of his hat powerups.

BZocky

Smash Ace
Alright lads, the latest online tourney event is Spirits. Go rep our Captain and show ‘em who’s boss :warioc:

Last edited:

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット
Ah, The Origin Based Wario Support Thread.

I was thinking some of the Black Sugar pirated could be incorporated into Syrup's moveset. Maybe Bobo could carry her to stage for her recovery, or Bifun could function similarly to Zelda's phantom as a Side Special.

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット
BUMP, SwankyBox released this video about Donkey Kong Country pitches that recently came to light, detailing Wario as their desired villain. I guess Nintendo totally shot it down, just thought some Syrup fans may find it interesting. Could have totally changed the character's direction!

D

Deleted member

BUMP, SwankyBox released this video about Donkey Kong Country pitches that recently came to light, detailing Wario as their desired villain. I guess Nintendo totally shot it down, just thought some Syrup fans may find it interesting. Could have totally changed the character's direction!
Wario's franchises, and K. Rool and the Kremlings probably never would've existed if they got the okay for production on this.

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット
Wario's franchises, and K. Rool and the Kremlings probably never would've existed if they got the okay for production on this.
I know, right? On one hand, I would have loved to see Wario continute as a more fully fleshed-out villain. But, I really love K. Rool and everything about the DKC series too. Makes you think.

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
My most wanted for a 2nd Wario rep is Shake King from Wario Land Shake It! (Last game before the series died.) But I wouldn't mind her in Smash, I would put both of them in.
Wario's roster would look like this:
1.:ultwario: (Redesigned moveset to represent the Wario Land series.)
2. Shake King
3. Captain Syrup
(I feel like Shake King is so underrated, i would put him in Smash Bros as a newcomer or either Mario Kart as a new driver.)
Here's some splash screens i made up for good old Shakey himself:
1."Shake King Quakes the battlefield!"
2."Shake King Plunders the competition!"
3."Shake King Charges into Smash Brothers!"

Last edited:

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
I don't really like the Shake King. The only Wario "antagonist" I'd like to see playable in Smash is Captain Syrup.

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
Also, going with the assumption that the Wario Land games are done since Nintendo hasn't made a new one since Shake It!! back in 2008, I think only one Wario Land newcomer is warranted, whereas I still would like one or two newcomers from WarioWare like Ashley and 9-Volt or Mona or Jimmy T.

Commendedzuez09

Smash Cadet
Also, going with the assumption that the Wario Land games are done since Nintendo hasn't made a new one since Shake It!! back in 2008, I think only one Wario Land newcomer is warranted, whereas I still would like one or two newcomers from WarioWare like Ashley and 9-Volt or Mona or Jimmy T.
I doubt it, it'll probably have some big revival like Donkey Kong Country Returns or something. Who knows, maybe Good-Feel is working on another one as we speak since they finished Crafted World.

Last edited:

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
I doubt it, it'll probably have some big revival like Donkey Kong Country Returns or something. Who knows, maybe Good-Feel is working on another one as we speak since they finished Crafted World.
I doubt it, Wario Land has had 11 years to get a revival. I love the Wario Land games but it's clear by this point that they prefer making more WarioWare games. The nature of the latter series means they can keep making around a hundred or so funny 5 second demonstrations of each new Nintendo system's technology, which will keep happening since Nintendo likes to experiment with brand new ways to play with each new console they put out, i.e. it's easier for Nintendo to naturally come up with new ideas for WarioWare.

In contrast, with Wario Land, the most they could come up with was hiring an animation studio to draw the visuals and animations for a stripped-down Wario Land 4. And that was after 7 years of Wario Land 4 being the latest game in the series.

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット
I doubt it, Wario Land has had 11 years to get a revival. I love the Wario Land games but it's clear by this point that they prefer making more WarioWare games. The nature of the latter series means they can keep making around a hundred or so funny 5 second demonstrations of each new Nintendo system's technology, which will keep happening since Nintendo likes to experiment with brand new ways to play with each new console they put out, i.e. it's easier for Nintendo to naturally come up with new ideas for WarioWare.

In contrast, with Wario Land, the most they could come up with was hiring an animation studio to draw the visuals and animations for a stripped-down Wario Land 4. And that was after 7 years of Wario Land 4 being the latest game in the series.
We can always dream, though. Donkey Kong Country Returns landed 14 years after the last DKC game.

Commendedzuez09

Smash Cadet

It's not like Nintendo really works on WarioWare or Wario Land. Don't they just throw in a few Nintendo employees and call it a day? Last I remember is that both Wario Land and WarioWare are handled by 2nd party developers anyways. The people who worked in Shake-It aren't the same people making the 5-second mini-games. I really doubt Good-Feel is gonna make a second Yoshi game right now.

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
We can always dream, though. Donkey Kong Country Returns landed 14 years after the last DKC game.
Good point. I'm just being realistic and setting my expectations accordingly. If a new Wario Land game does get announced, I'll be ecstatic as long as it looks good.

It's not like Nintendo really works on WarioWare or Wario Land. Don't they just throw in a few Nintendo employees and call it a day? Last I remember is that both Wario Land and WarioWare are handled by 2nd party developers anyways. The people who worked in Shake-It aren't the same people making the 5-second mini-games. I really doubt Good-Feel is gonna make a second Yoshi game right now.
Wario Land was developed by Nintendo R&D1, specifically, aside from Wario World (Treasure), Wario: Master of Disguise (Suzak), and Shake It!! which is the only mainline game to be made with a different developer (Good Feel). Then WarioWare was also made by R&D1 at first, from Mega Microgame$ to Twisted, before the reins were handed to Intelligent Systems for all subsequent WarioWare entries.

You may be right about WarioWare, but I think that Wario Land's more spotty record with non R&D1 developers means that Nintendo, currently, just doesn't know how to move on from Wario Land 4 or Shake It!!, which is seen by how the brief period where Nintendo kept tossing the keys to Wario games to other developers seems to have stopped.

I'll be pleasantly surprised if a new game does come out, regardless. For now, I am looking at Captain Syrup as a "legacy pick" like K. Rool was since the Land games are currently at a standstill.

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット
I don't know about you guys, but I would love to see Wario implemented into another 3D Platformer. Wario World isn't known for being the best game. But I think with the right vision, returning themes and characters from the Wario Land series, they could make something really neat.

D

Deleted member

I don't know about you guys, but I would love to see Wario implemented into another 3D Platformer. Wario World isn't known for being the best game. But I think with the right vision, returning themes and characters from the Wario Land series, they could make something really neat.
This is literally the kind of Wario Land title, as well as a World sequel, that I would absolutely adore. I'd love to see other Wario Land characters used more often.

Commendedzuez09

Smash Cadet
You may be right about WarioWare, but I think that Wario Land's more spotty record with non R&D1 developers means that Nintendo, currently, just doesn't know how to move on from Wario Land 4 or Shake It!!, which is seen by how the brief period where Nintendo kept tossing the keys to Wario games to other developers seems to have stopped.
Yea, that's true. I dunno, I just don't think Good-Feel is done with Wario. I really don't think they're gonna shoot out another Yoshi game, not yet at least. I know they've been working with Yoshi but that's because they've been putting Yoshi games for the Wii U, 3DS, and Switch. Now that we got one for the Switch, I believe there next move is to work on another IP which would probably be Wario Land or another form of Kirby's Epic Yawn. They could work on a new IP if Nintendo lets them but I'm sure working with an IP they have experience with would be a safer bet. We'll find out Good-Feel's future plans soon, but I'm crossing fingers for a Wario Land.

Last edited:

BravadoMan_13

Smash Lord
NNID
ClassicRocker
Wario World was such a great and underrated game. The only downside to it is that the game was too short but I still had a lot of fun with it. I love to see a sequel that includes Waluigi.

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
Wario World was such a great and underrated game. The only downside to it is that the game was too short but I still had a lot of fun with it. I love to see a sequel that includes Waluigi.
I agree with that, I would have both Waluigi and Shake King as playable characters. (I imagine Shake King having a truce and teams up with the Wario Brothers.)

Top Bottom