• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

.::Captain Douglas Falcon::.

Sangoku

Smash Master
Watch Ricky's last falcon combo vid and don't play until you can do all the combos.

Seriously though, I think best to watch are superboom and ballin.

#HBC | ѕoup

The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.
there is more to just watching people, you should also try be creative in your own ways, i 'hate' (with not the full meaness of the word) that people just think they can be really good at something if they watch someone good play. i mean, sure, it works, but now all you are is a copier, and you won't have any knowledge on how to improve yourself.

watching good people play can teach you a couple of things, but you shouldn't focus yourself on just that, learn to adapt your own playstyle.

yes i am being blunt.

SuPeRbOoM

Smash Master
There is an aspect of melee called "DI" which does not exist in this game. Hence this game does not have DI.
Smash DI doesn't truly "influence" your "direction," it only translates your character on the cartesian plane of the map. It shouldn't even be called anything-DI cause it's nothing but movement during hitlag.
I don't get why you're trying to say it's not DI in this game. You're clearing influencing a direction when you smash DI.

This guy is influencing so many directions:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EuLj6Vblg_A

LOL

th3kuzinator

Smash Master
There is an aspect of melee called "DI" which does not exist in this game. Hence this game does not have DI.
Smash DI doesn't truly "influence" your "direction," it only translates your character on the cartesian plane of the map. It shouldn't even be called anything-DI cause it's nothing but movement during hitlag.
I know how the melee engine works, thx. What boomfan said, its not the same type of DI as in melee, but its DI all the same.

LOL @ that video

firo

Smash Ace
If only we all had the ability to influence as many directions as Mr. Bunker. Then maybe it would not be as hard to....release from some Falcon u-air combos.

Also, don't underestimate the value of training mode to see what moves connect and what you can string together. If your moves increase that combo counter, you can assume for now that those hits are guaranteed, until you begin facing people at your level that know how to use DI effectively.

King Omega

Smash Journeyman
I wasn't trying to be condescending, just pointing out the nuanced discrepancy between the two games.
Smash DI is DI, man. The people who named DI and defined the whole concept also named Smash DI. If one is right they both are.

On a post of battlecow's from a couple pages back, Jiggs will pretty much always recover from Falcon's fsmash (barring edgeguards and the blast line) since it knocks so high. You're supposed to utilt the **** out of Jiggs's approach then spam uair until you hit, anyway.

Battlecow

Play to Win
You're supposed to Utilt Jiggs' approach? What? Is that a typo, or do you actually think that Doug's Utilt is good for beating Jiggs' approach?

Yes, Jiggs will always recover barring edgeguards/blast lines. Isn't that what I said?

King Omega

Smash Journeyman
That's the joke. Falcon doesn't stop Jiggs approach, not with her nair or bair anyway.

...If you have a method for it, though, I'd love to know it.

Battlecow

Play to Win
Oh, didn't get the sarcasm, I thought you were serious lol.

Yeah no, Puff's bair is pretty harmless. Like Kingstar said, just hop around and bair her.

OR you could dashdance around and eventually grab her. THAT'S WHAT I DO!

asianaussie

Smash Hero
lol falcon can't outrange b-air?

hope that was a weak april fool's joke

already gotten pwned by some guy saying a touhou 6 anime was coming out T.T

StretchNutz

Smash Journeyman
Smash DI would be better described as, as Star King put it, positional influence, since unless you smash into a wall you are unable to "influence" your "direction."
Just because it has "DI" in the name doesn't make it actual "directional" "influence".

3mmanu3lrc

Smash Lord
Then it'd be more like PDI (Positional Directional Influence)
Or it's that maybe DI stands for Distance Influence. :p
JK

ballin4life

Smash Hero
Smash DI would be better described as, as Star King put it, positional influence, since unless you smash into a wall you are unable to "influence" your "direction."
Just because it has "DI" in the name doesn't make it actual "directional" "influence".
It influences the direction you go WHILE you are being hit

asianaussie

Smash Hero
  • Wall with B-airs/U-airs depending on where you are in relation to jiggs
  • Use short combos at low percent (use F-air at mid percents, F-air > run jump N-air is decent iirc, but I might be delusional)
  • Play the spacing game at high percent (if they get that far) and hit with U-air
  • Don't do stupid predictable empty aerials or ff D-air right at them
  • Up-b out of shield works if they like U-tilting your shield a bunch
  • Don't do u-air > up-b unless you are 1000% sure you're get it
  • Make sure you DI properly

Battlecow

Play to Win
I like Fthrow->pivot->Jump->Bair->jump->Bair->Uair from 0%. So damn pretty.

She has to recover high, so if you're on DL, hop on the side platform when she's recovering, then double jump out and get her with a Bair or something; you outrange her. People miss that edgeguard too much.

ciaza

Smash Prodigy
Premium
Similar thing can be done on Mario. Fthrow>uair (land)>bair>jump>bair>tippered uair.

With edgeguarding make sure you try to avoid Puff's pound, that thing can be dangerous as it sends you away from the stage and make yourself an easy target.
Never get directly under puff.
When getting hit by a dair it can be beneficial to DI downwards, but it often depends where you are in relevance to the hitboxes.
Use platforms to your advantage. This might be debated on but I would advise to avoid open plains as a puff landing one dash grab often spells death.

dandan

Smash Lord
you can just di out of jigs dair to either side out of utilt or grab range.

The Star King

Smash Hero
Up-b out of shield works if they like U-tilting your shield a bunch
I always see Australians posting funny gimmicks that probably don't work, like full hop thunder or whatever. You guys must be QUITE FUN to play.

@Dandan That takes either EXTREME DI, or a Puff who sucks hard at chasing DI.

asianaussie

Smash Hero
it's because we're cooler than all of you yanks, and we don't (except pete) play to win in friendlies

pretty sure most of us regard landing a teleport rest or luigi taunt or something as a bigger victory than actually winning, except in pseudo-tourney/srs bznz matches

i don't play puff

The Star King

Smash Hero
pretty sure most of us regard landing a teleport rest or luigi taunt or something as a bigger victory than actually winning, except in pseudo-tourney/srs bznz matches
I do too, though. YAWN

Although, I'm ashamed to admit I have yet to land a shine upsmash vs a human player.

asianaussie

Smash Hero
what an american thing to say, keep trying to be as cool as us

seems we both check the main forum then move onto the subforums, is this normal

asianaussie

Smash Hero
korean? we can't ever be friends

big bang is an ok band

we did invent fun, along with butterflied prawns and the concept of buoyancy

and vegemite

too tired to quote in response

The Star King

Smash Hero
I knew it was a joke, I was kind of just playing around too actually (although what I said was true).

Gotta love the miscommunications on the internet that would be avoided by tone IRL.

Battlecow

Play to Win
It was obv. a joke

Only idiots who know nothing about people have miscommunications/don't get jokes on the internet that would be avoided by tone IRL.

asianaussie

Smash Hero
it's surprising how many people miss obvious sarcasm, even in real life

lots of people take battlecow's satirical posts seriously because he types with punctuation

ciaza

Smash Prodigy
Premium
Utilt/weak upsmash>thunder aura works so often it's amazing, it's not a gimmick. I see so many people using utilt/weak upsmash>bair when they could easily hit a thunder aura. It's such a waste.

Shine>upsmash is easier once you realise it's 10x easier when done on a ledge/platform.

Top Bottom